Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    A LSD Steakhouse somewhere in the Wasatch
    Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    pulled the plug this morning. too intrusive, fuck that
    #friendsnotfollowers
    "When the child was a child it waited patiently for the first snow and it still does"- Van "The Man" Morrison
    "I find I have already had my reward, in the doing of the thing" - Buzz Holmstrom
    "THIS IS WHAT WE DO"-AML -ski on in eternal peace
    "I have posted in here but haven't read it carefully with my trusty PoliAsshat antenna on."-DipshitDanno

I think im about to do the same. I've had a few weird ads appear after texting with a friend about that company.

So who is on instagram??

So the real question is what will the next photo sharing app be?

We’ve already seen what a mass exodus looks like (re myspace), and I don’t see how anyone would be alright with those terms. Will be interesting to see how this all plays into the FB antitrust.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    #friendsnotfollowers
    I had occasionally enjoyed seeing pictures from cool places, but I hadn't posted in years and was already sick of folks (and friends) trying to sell me shit.

ABORT

Ive kept my account for now. Curious what the more tech savy on the forum thought. Its been nice getting in touch with old friends that i've just lost track of . Great to store companies that i may purchase from in the future. Good for skiing/biking info on different zones.
    Is there an alternative app/site? I liked the anonymity of it until this latest intrusive algorythym bs

Sent from my SM-G950W using TGR Forums mobile app

Why do these k00ks always, always ruin the software they control?

At Norseman's suggestion I'm trying signal now: signal.org
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Fuck this shit. I like keeping in touch with friends from years ago but this seems like a bridge too far. And I’m so sick of the “outdoor athletes” that all act like they are sponsored; meanwhile they live in a shithole Subaru and paint this amazing outdoor life yo!

Signal.org sounds great. Thanks norse. Fingers crossed they put ig/fb out of business

Just for shits this morning I texted my brother "Reebok, Adidas, The North Face, REI, Macy's" and by this afternoon I got an Adidias ad. I havent pulled the plug yet but it's gone when I finally get picked off enough.

Quote Originally Posted by grinch View Post
    Fuck zuck. Seriously thinking of ditching IG. Its been nice keeping contact with old friends but this seems crazy intrusive

https://www.instagram.com/p/CI62K0vh...d=mr395z3v6f8r

that link is a little over the top re: what they actually collect
    nevertheless IG has been warped from the OG app, and the data mining is palpable

[signal isn’t really a substitute tho...am i missing what that’s about?]

Quote Originally Posted by ::: ::: View Post
    nevertheless IG has been warped from the OG app, and the data mining is palpable

It's just a text and calling app, not a social media platform, but it is reliable and secure. Been using it for a couple years.

Idk, im certainly no expert. I thought that link might be a bit over the top but still, id like to see a secure fb/ig alternative. Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    It's just a text and calling app, not a social media platform, but it is reliable and secure. Been using it for a couple years.
    Oh ok, i thought they mentioned picture sharing?

Leavenworth Skier made me aware of signal.org and I merely passed it along to Buster, to be fair.

It sounds about right re. security but I haven't signed up yet. Still not sure whether I need it.

Quote Originally Posted by Norseman View Post
    Leavenworth Skier made me aware of signal.org and I merely passed it along to Buster, to be fair.

It sounds about right re. security but I haven't signed up yet. Still not sure whether I need it.
    I've been a regular Signal user for 5 years now.

It's not a replacement for IG but it does give you a reasonable expectation of privacy in private messages. All manner of sensitive conversations can be hidden from prying eyes, and the fact that it is used exclusively by the world's top security experts tells me something. Plus the time expiry messages are super nice.

Sent from my Pixel 4 using Tapatalk

Yeah, my awareness of it was that’s what reporters use to talk to unnamed sources (supposedly it was on almost everyone’s phone in the WH before they started cracking down on leaks)

Hmmmm. I follow Nat. Geo. and all their photographers, friends, relatives, and a few of you guys. I mean, I know it’s TRG and all but the “influencer” thing is pretty fake and weird. I guess with that population and the millions of followers, the data mining was just too hard to pass up. I mean who gives a fuck where a National Geographic photographer is or where I was skiing yesterday?
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

IGMs mining of contacts is what killed it for me, my privacy is important to me.
    WhatsApp is part of fb, so I'm trying to use signal instead.

For IGM replacement, I'm looking into vero, but it seems they won't promise not to mine contacts.
    500px? EyeEm?
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Yeah, my awareness of it was that’s what reporters use to talk to unnamed sources (supposedly it was on almost everyone’s phone in the WH before they started cracking down on leaks)
    Haa interesting. Gotta get dat 'gram

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    IGMs mining of contacts is what killed it for me, my privacy is important to me.
    WhatsApp is part of fb, so I'm trying to use signal instead.

For IGM replacement, I'm looking into vero, but it seems they won't promise not to mine contacts.
    500px? EyeEm?
    I think flickr is pretty much the only thing out there now with saturation targeted to photogs.

Ya the mining of contacts is creepy.
    Fb and youtube need to be put in check with the disinformation bs. These places are a cesspool of dangerous stupidity that needs to end

Between a rock and a soft place. Aberdare and The Brecon Beacons, Wales
    mikethesnow
    Primarily landscape images from Wales and skiing images and videos from wherever I am

https://www.instagram.com/mikethesnow/?hl=en

^^^followed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I think flickr is pretty much the only thing out there now with saturation targeted to photogs.
    After smugmug bought flickr, I hoped they’d improve experience or at least update their phone app to support groups and discussions. Nothing yet.

All but the Russians, because Instagram and Facebook have been recognized as extremist platforms in Russia. LOL

So who is on instagram??

I can’t stand how IG is basically just sponsored posts now. In between all the ads. Doesn’t anyone do anything these days without a sponsor to add into their post? What whores!