Winthrop WA area camping recs?

Heading to check out the Winthrop area to do some riding this weekend. Never been and don't really know the area at all yet. Planning to do some research before heading out, but any suggestions on good spots to car camp? PMs work if you don't want to give too much away.

Criteria:

- Going primarily to mountain bike so proximity to trails. Ideally close to multiple rides and/or trail networks. Something like Fruita 18 road area, Gooseberry Mesa, Phil's Trail area in Bend, etc. Looking for XC type rides.

-Scenic, obviously, and ideally somewhat quiet and remote feeling but not super far from town. Undeveloped and free is good, no RV KOA types.

Food and ride recs appreciated too. Thanks in advance!

I was only the area once, but there is a shit ton of camping. you can't go wrong. we headed up the river drainage that meets the methow in winthrop and found a great free spot after the fs boundary.
    looking for a good book? check out mine! as fast as it is gone

One of my favorite MTNB rides is Cutthroat Lake up to the junction with the PCT@ WA pass.
    Camp at Lone Firs Campground.
    Amazing views as you get up near the alpine zone.
    See here.
    http://www.dirtworld.com/trails/trail.asp?id=3107
    TGR Bureau Chief, Greenwater, WA

Thanks guys. I hate to admit it, but we had to bail at the last minute and do some closer riding on the west side. Can't wait to get over there at some point though. Whether winter or summer, I will need my dry mountain climate fix soon.

Not exactly what you are looking for, but still a fun experience and kinda like camping. Secure, good locale. My buddy's place: http://www.rollinghuts.com/

edit: just saw that you had to bail. bummer. It amazing out there