Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

SKI mag's annual resort rankings

For the first time, Park City's three resorts are in the top 10... and the only Utah resorts in the top 10. Which tells you more about SKI's criteria than it does the actual resort/mountain experience.
    The Buck (Deer Valley) dropped to #2 behind Whistler. PCMR #4 and Can Can #10.
    I think with the Buck not being #1 for the 6th year in a row might give the rankings a little more cred, but there are some dubious rankings in there. And I think everyone here is happy is wasn't Vail that knocked the Buck off the 1st place podium. I know these rankings don't play a lot in your decision where to ski, but our custies in NYC and LA seem to base their winter destination on where the resort ranks.

Quote Originally Posted by Parvo View Post
    For the first time, Park City's three resorts are in the top 10... and the only Utah resorts in the top 10. Which tells you more about SKI's criteria than it does the actual resort/mountain experience.
    I think with the Buck not being #1 for the 6th year in a row might give the rankings a little more cred, but there are some dubious rankings in there. And I think everyone here is happy is wasn't Vail that knocked the Buck off the 1st place podium. I know these rankings don't play a lot in your decision where to ski, but our custies in NYC and LA seem to base their winter destination on where the resort ranks.
    Good keep those places busy and my spots quiet.

jgb@etree Guest
    Ski Mag doesn't rank resorts by quality, they rank by how much a given area advertises with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Ski Mag doesn't rank resorts by quality, they rank by how much a given area advertises with them.
    Common myth, but if you saw the latest issue/pamphlet, you would know that isn't true. The industry has cut back print ads big time. And it's their enlightened readers ranking the resorts, not the pub's staff.

And it's their enlightened readers ranking the resorts, not the pub's staff.

Vail Resorts giving Epic pass members free subscriptions to SKI doesn't hurt.

Ski mag blows ox balls. For some reason I keep getting them in the mail. I won't even open them. Their testers are clueless. I think they are geared tward the older generations who ski blue groomers.

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    Ski mag blows ox balls. For some reason I keep getting them in the mail. I won't even open them. Their testers are clueless. I think they are geared tward the older generations who ski blue groomers.
    Sort of. More like the urban dwelling professional who goes on one or two expensive destination ski vacations a year.

Good reminder why not to subscribe to SKI

Ski magazine is for waiting rooms
    So local it hurts...

just tells me that ski magazine suxxxxxxxx!!

As know-nothing, runnynose kid (to borrow from Blizzard of AAHHH's) I was a SKI magazine reader who dreamed big of someday visiting Vail, America's greatest ski resort. I was lucky to go on a few family ski trips to Western resorts as a kid. First it was Taos, which blew my mind. The moguls were as big as the bump with a rope tow I learned to ski on. I felt like I was skiing off the edge of the Earth. Then Alta and Snowbird almost convinced me that God was real after all. A heretofore inconceivable profundity washed over me. Was I almost a buddha? Then we went to Vail, and I was like, WHAT THE FUCK IS THIS SHIT? Still had plenty of fun jumping of "cliffs" and tomahawking happily down back bowls after ill-conceived cornice launches, but my faith in the SKI mag gospel was shattered. I also remember reading a technique piece on using double pole plants on steep terrain and thinking, "that's how the guys with beards and the leather boots that only attach at the toes ski!" I saw a copy a couple years back and noticed it was about 1/3 as thick as it was 25 years ago.

Ski magazine is for the "average" skier who only skis 10 days per year. The ones who insist on wearing thier powder ribbons on bluebird days in late March.

Thumbs up

"So it is written, so shall it be"/ CAN CAN .
    "I, the undersigned,
    shall forfeit all rights, privileges, and licenses herein
    and herein contained, et cetera, et cetera . . . fax mentis
    incendium gloria culpum, et cetera, et cetera . . . memo bis
    punitor delicatum!" It's all there, black and white, clear
    as crystal! You stole Fizzy Lifting Drinks. You bumped
    into the ceiling which now has to be washed and sterilized,
    so you get nothing! You lose! Good day, sir!

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    Taos, which blew my mind.
    Me too, and I grew up skiing the west.
    10/01/2012 Site was upgraded to 300 baud.

WB is #1 in my book.
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

I never understood the hate for SKI magazine or the segment of the sport it reaches. That segment pumps a lot of money into the industry and is needed to keep the sport healthy. Their skiing priorities may be different than mine, so what, if they enjoy skiing I'm stoked for them.

i love their ski priorities much more than our own. why the fuck would i wanna ski pow with a bunch of mags pivot skiddin around with similar priorities? sounds like a recipe for shit to get tracked up way too fast.

that's why skiing pow at hills like DV is so much better more often than any jh'ers or alta dogs could ever fathom. no liftlines on pow days with that^^^^^^segment sitting inside till the snow stops and or shit gets groomed.

GO SKI!!!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    I never understood the hate for SKI magazine or the segment of the sport it reaches. That segment pumps a lot of money into the industry and is needed to keep the sport healthy. Their skiing priorities may be different than mine, so what, if they enjoy skiing I'm stoked for them.
    "IT'S FUN TO HATE."...The Offspring.

Quote Originally Posted by Stikki View Post
    They do bring the money into the resorts so the ski bum can live their lifestyle. It's not like we are forced to read Ski.

It's refreshing to see -kind of- that Deer Valley AKA- Fluff Mountain isn't number one again. Fluff Mountain reminds me of the joke: What do a moped and fat chick have in common? They're both fun to ride, until your friends catch you on 'em!

As we know, Whistler is the real-deal. It does say a lot about the readership when Jackson, Snowbird, Squaw, etc. are not right at the top of the list. I also get the free issue of SKI, and find it mildly entertaining. Although sometimes I throw up in my mouth a bit when I read it.

Quote Originally Posted by RaisingArizona View Post
    Sort of. More like the urban dwelling professional who goes on one or two expensive destination ski vacations a year.
    It should be called 'Ski Vacationing Magazine' or something like that. It's more about ski vacations, than actually skiing.
    "Have you ever seen a monk get wildly fucked by a bunch of teenage girls?" "No" "Then forget the monastery."

"You ever hear of a little show called branded? Arthur Digby Sellers wrote 156 episodes. Not exactly a lightweight." Walter Sobcheck.

"I didn't have a grandfather on the board of some fancy college. Key word being was. Did he touch the Filipino exchange student? Did he not touch the Filipino exchange student? I don't know Brooke, I wasn't there."

Quote Originally Posted by tom111869 View Post
    "IT'S FUN TO HATE."...The Offspring.
    Technically, it's cool to hate. I'm not hating though.

Yep park city is the best, go there.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

I'm shocked - SHOCKED - that Loveland didn't top the list.

That is all.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey