Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sauerkraut

Is there a decent canned/jarred kraut out there? I haven't had much luck up to this point. The Nathan's stuff is edible on a hot dog but I can't really decide if it actually does it any favors.

And yeah, good Kimchi is great. I always eat a ton of the stuff when I go to Korean BBQ.

love dat stuff, I miss working at the schnitzelhause last winter
    One of my favourite ski bum recipies is perogies - boiled then fried with loads of sauerkraut, toss in ichiban, fry with soy sauce and hot sauce
    shwing

You're insulting the pierogi dammit.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Pierogi is a plural word, btw, so Pierogies is wrong. You wouldn't say Geeses either.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    Pierogi is a plural word, btw, so Pierogies is wrong. You wouldn't say Geeses either.
    he spelled it wrong too

Salt & Pepper some country style ribs, sear on all sides in a pan
    Place one jar Sauerkraut in slow cooker, nestle ribs, cover with second layer of kraut. Cook on high for 4 hours or low for 8.
    Serve with homemade mashers

Goddamn now I'm hungry.
    Throw in 2 pork loins in that roasting pan and you've got my New Year's Day dinner every year for as long as I can remember.

German meal that will bring you good luck in the new year.

Yum.
    I still call it The Jake.

I will add to the list of lovers of the kraut. Love kraut filled pierogies and just a bowl of kraut. When. Make mine I add some bacon and onion. I'm not a daily eater or anything just love it. With pork chops, kielbasa, hot dogs, etc.
    http://www.firsttracksonline.com

I wish i could be like SkiFishBum

damn grammer police........ lets just call them rogies k? best served with kraut and pilsner

Tis the season. After not making it for long time, my family is restarting our annual tradition of making it.

I've got a 10 gallon crock on the way, and it should be done 6-7 weeks after we prep it.

We do whole heads and then shred as necessary afterwords. That way, we can use the whole leaves to make sarma (dolmas...pfffft) and then shred what we need for kraut. All you need is spring water, kosher salt, and hard cabbage. Supposedly, really hard heads of cabbage are key. My grandparents used to buy Utah cabbage, but I don't know if you can get it anymore.

As for crocks, there are three main options:
    1) Ohio Stoneware makes the classic open top crock that's cheap and works super well. You can order them online from Ace Hardware and have it shipped to your local store. Anyway, you need to sink the cabbage with a round wooden board or plate (either of which is held down by a rock) and then cover it with cheese cloth and another board to keep critters out. You also need to skim off the bloom that forms on top every few days.

2) Get a fancy german crock like the one Captain Awesome posted. They have a special lid that seals off the top and prevents this bloom from forming. In fact, it's really important to NOT open these crocks for at least 2-3 weeks after you've started. Otherwise, the bloom will form. Plus, most of them come with stone weights to weigh the cabbage down.

3) I called a pickling shop last week, and they have actually moved to using stainless steel wine fermentation tanks like this one:
    http://www.oakbarrel.com/winemaking/...tainless.shtml
    They come with a floating lid that has an inflatable gasket around it. So you load up the tank with cabbage/salt/water, weigh it down with a weight like method 1 above, float the lid on top, and then pump up the gasket until it seals. The lid also has a one-way valve on top that allows the fermentation gases to escape but doesn't let air in. The floating lid is nice too since it allows you to vary the batch size easily even though the smallest tank on that site is 20 gallons. Obviously, you have to be careful where you put this though since metal transfers temperature much more rapidly than ceramics. It's really important that it doesn't get hot, because that will ruin the batch. Also, I'm thinking the stainless may pit a little after a while; but I'm guessing it won't be a big deal. I would want to check the gasket frequently too since I don't necessarily trust inflatable stuff that much. If I ever need to make more than a 10 gallon batch though, I think I'm going to pick one of these up.

Anyway, you then let it sit for at least 6 week and voila...

Frankly, I can't eat any sauerkraut other than the stuff my family makes. It's just so much damn better than anything else I've ever tried. It freezes well too if you want to store some for the winter.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I thought making something like saurkraut in metal containers was bad. Something about salt & the acidity reacting with metal. My Polish outlaws use 20l plastic drums.

To those who say you need to wash the "strong" taste off.... supposedly if its too strong then its been fermented too long. The outlaws shred the cabbage, add salt / spice / shredded carrot, ferment then once it tastes good they chill it down in the root cellar to stop the fermentation.

Kraut + spare ribs + dumplings in pressure cooker =$$$$
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Just bought a kit with a jar.
    Pretty simple.
    Cut cabbage, add salt, let sit to get brine going.
    massage cabbage for about 10 minutes.
    Add to jar.
    It came with this funky fermentation airlock and special lid.
    No we play the waiting game.
    What if "Alternative" energy wasn't so alternative ?

Had some bangers and squeak just the other day, yum. Had a Polish friend over, so used kilbasa(sp?), but prefer hot Italian sausage.

I grew up with the canned/jar version, never had the real stuff.

I agree it is a constitutional right for Americans to be assholes...its just too bad that so many take the opportunity...
    iscariot

Vinegar? In Sauerkraut? Abomination!

What, do people make beer using rice too?
    Truer words were never spoken.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

this is all i need to last through the winter mentally and physically:

What is it? Dumplings of some sort? Looks delicious.

I had a dream about sauerkraut last night. This place is getting to me.

I love me some stuffed cabbage.

Oh man, why did I have to come in here and see talk or pierogi? I haven't had 'em in years. My grandmother was a first-gen American born to eastern European parents and lived in NJ, so naturally they were a staple whenever we'd go see her. We called them perohi and they were usually the fried, cheese and potato-filled variant.

Quote Originally Posted by brice618 View Post
    What is it? Dumplings of some sort? Looks delicious.
    Looks like they could be galumpkis. Stuufed cabbage rolls.

My friend in the Army had wife from Korea that made some really good kimche. When we were stationed in Bavaria, some locals came by for our BBQ and they just about orgasmed when they tasted her fermented cabbage. Funny how different cultures have similar food items.
    More cowbell!!!

I happened upon some great sauerkraut found often in the produce section or refrigeration section of many grocery stores that comes pretty close to your German aunt Helda's home brewed kraut.

Krrrrisp Kraut barrel-cured sauerkraut by Silver Floss...GLK Foods LLC.

But it has sodium benzoate and sodium bisulfite as preservatives...

To me it seems a well-cured sauerkraut wouldn't need the benzoates and bisulfites...but the food industry is litigation averse, and so they add it anyway.

Anyway if you're lacking the time to properly cure good kraut, this stuff is really good....and so much better than canned or bottled kraut. It comes sealed in a zip-lok style bag.
    Last edited by Alaskan Rover; 01-06-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Bubbie's is pretty good. Jar, just cabbage and salt
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

Bubbie's = great kraut & pickles, but fucking expensive.

The Sauerkraut I made ended up being contaminated with fecal coliforms...

But serious, love the stuff