Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Best helmet for touring

Did a quick search but didn't see what I was looking for and don't want to look through threads all night so here goes:

Any recommendations on a helmet for touring? Not a mountaineering helmet necessarily/probably, just a helmet for my head on the downhills and my pack on the uphills. Criteria:

-Lightweight
    -Earpads that DONT FALL OUT when strapped to a pack, transitions, on your head, etc. Every helmet I've had, the ear pads strip within a few months and I have to tape them on, and they fall out repeatedly when strapped to my pack.
    - Decent looking to be seen wearing in the resort

Recs?

Giro Montane if it fits

I'd buy a helmet which is constructed like a bike helmet. Foam and a light plastic skin. I use my old fuse (breathable) and my Smith Variant, which I think is heavier. I have not had a problem with earpads falling out.

I just use an old Giro nine.9 pull the earpads out and use a lightweight skullcap under the helmet. Keeps my ears nice and toasty and I don't have to worry about losing the earpads.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Giro Nine here for bc brain bucket duties.
    watch out for snakes

Quote Originally Posted by Jethro View Post
    I'd buy a helmet which is constructed like a bike helmet.
    True. My Giro Shiv is lighter than my Petzl climbing helmet.

A beanie is lighter than a helmet though. Just saying.

Check out the Smith Maze. I think it might be one of the lightest helmets on the market, has some cool graphics, and the ear pads are solid. Buy fit first of course.

Poc synapse. Pricey, but very nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Check out the Smith Maze. I think it might be one of the lightest helmets on the market, has some cool graphics, and the ear pads are solid. Buy fit first of course.
    +1 love mine

POC skull light. Lighter and lower profile than the synapse. Best helmet out there for everywhere imo.

Quote Originally Posted by gregL View Post
    Giro Montane if it fits
    Insanely lightweight and outfitted with a carabineer and our new trip clip for hooking your lid to your pack, the Montane is up to backcountry missions and inbounds operations alike. Progressive Stack Ventilation delivers fog-free goggles no matter how your day shapes up.
    Can't really argue with that kind of marketing copy.

It's got it's own motherfucking carabineer!

Oh and you could try sending Rog a PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

Giro G10. Looks good, and the earmuffs don't fall out. Straps to a pack pretty well too.

Quote Originally Posted by esales09 View Post
    POC skull light. Lighter and lower profile than the synapse. Best helmet out there for everywhere imo.
    From the POC website, Synapsis is 390g and Skull Light is 500g.

Edit: And for comparison, Montane is 380g. Maze is 330g.

I'm looking for the same thing as well, so I'll prolly go try on the Montane, Synapsis, and Maze.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    Another vote for the Maze. It is surprisingly light, yet solid. Smith backs up their products, and it isn't outrageously expensive. But, as with any helmet, make sure it fits first. It is trimmed down, and doesn't have the adjustment mechanisms that lots of helmets have.

From the POC website, Synapsis is 390g and Skull Light is 500g.

Edit: And for comparison, Montane is 380g. Maze is 330g.

I'm looking for the same thing as well, so I'll prolly go try on the Montane, Synapsis, and Maze.
    Interesting. I guess the fact that I'm comparing my brothers Synapsis and GFs skull light is probably not helping me get an accurate number. Anyways thanks for the clarification.

I'd give the Smith Vantage a try too. Nearly as light as a Maze with the venting of the Variant. The vents are also front/back vs the Variant's left/right. My ear pads never fell out with a full season's use.

Quote Originally Posted by davieboot View Post
    Another vote for the Maze. It is surprisingly light, yet solid. Smith backs up their products, and it isn't outrageously expensive. But, as with any helmet, make sure it fits first. It is trimmed down, and doesn't have the adjustment mechanisms that lots of helmets have.
    3rded. Super light, don't notice on my pack when touring.

Quote Originally Posted by esales09 View Post
    Interesting. I guess the fact that I'm comparing my brothers Synapsis and GFs skull light is probably not helping me get an accurate number. Anyways thanks for the clarification.
    Plus, the skull light doesn't have that pimpin' visor.

helmets for skiing are fucking ghey

pm me for more.

rog

I'm also in need for helmet replacement. padding to my old (mid 90's) boeri chopper is dead. i generally like minimal. aesthetically, i like the looks of low coverage paddling helmets, which are similar looking to my current ski helmet. are there any ski helmets like this? what's the diff in the safety certs? how does this compare to certs for climbing helmets? i remember a few years back seeing advertised computer drawings of a light weight helmet with full-ish coverage where the sides would fold for storing and packing in a pack. this perked the interest of a few canyoneering-types that i know. anybody heard of these? did they come to fruition?

cheers

+1 on the beanie

I wear a helmet inbounds because I have to ski with others. OB, I'm less concerned with needing a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    +1 on the beanie

I wear a helmet inbounds because I have to ski with others. OB, I'm less concerned with needing a helmet.
    My choice is to bring a helmet on most tours because injury consequences in the bc are orders of magnitude more complex.

don't get injured in the bc cat^^^^^^^^makes life much easier and is more funerer.

ski, don't fall. ain't that hard. injury consequences are higher in the bc, so ski that way.

beanie, ball cap, visor, they worked for eons before helmets, still do.

hi

rog

I definitely do modify my skiing style in the BC. Concerns me how many people do not, but that is their choice until I am around and need to help them evac. Done it once and it was a hell of a lot of work.

That being said, one of the great things about the bc is being to hit lines that just are not available in bounds. Falling on these lines could have real consequences.

Wearing or not wearing a helmet is a personal choice. I do not mean to start a debate, just wanted to put in the alternative thought to the beanie.

I'm with rog on this one, helmuts are ghey. For cereal who gets a head injury skiing boot deep blower on a 20 degree slope anyway.
    I don't work and I don't save, desperate women pay my way.