Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Chili w/ brisket & b-nut squash: this is about as good as it gets for me. Triple it, and serve the day after cooking.

Ingredients

6 large dried ancho chiles* (about 3 ounces), stemmed, seeded, coarsely torn
    6 ounces bacon, diced
    1 1/4 pounds onions, chopped (about 4 cups)
    1 5-pound flat-cut (also called first-cut) beef brisket, cut into 2 1/2- to 3-inch cubes
    Coarse kosher salt
    6 large garlic cloves, peeled
    2 tablespoons chili powder
    2 teaspoons cumin seeds
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1 teaspoon ground coriander
    1 1/2 teaspoons coarse kosher salt
    1 1/2 10-ounce cans fire-roasted diced tomatoes with green chiles (1 3/4 cups)
    1 12-ounce bottle Mexican beer
    1 7-ounce can diced roasted green chiles
    1/2 cup finely chopped fresh cilantro stems
    4 cups 1 1/2- to 2-inch chunks seeded peeled butternut squash (from 3 1/2-pound squash)

Prep

Place chiles in medium bowl. Pour enough boiling water over to cover. Soak until chiles soften, at least 30 minutes and up to 4 hours.
    Preheat oven to 350°F. Sauté bacon in heavy large ovenproof pot over medium-high heat until beginning to brown. Add onions. Reduce heat to medium; cover and cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Sprinkle beef all over with coarse salt and pepper. Add to pot; stir to coat. Set aside.
    Drain chiles, reserving soaking liquid. Place chiles in blender. Add 1 cup soaking liquid, garlic, chili powder, cumin seeds, oregano, coriander, and 1 1/2 teaspoons coarse salt; blend to puree, adding more soaking liquid by 1/4 cupfuls if very thick. Pour puree over brisket in pot. Add tomatoes with juices, beer, green chiles, and cilantro stems. Stir to coat evenly.
    Bring chili to simmer. Cover and place in oven. Cook 2 hours. Uncover and cook until beef is almost tender, about 1 hour. Add squash; stir to coat. Roast uncovered until beef and squash are tender, adding more soaking liquid if needed to keep meat covered, about 45 minutes longer. Season chili to taste with salt and pepper. Tilt pot and spoon off any fat from surface of sauce. DO AHEAD Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool 1 hour. Chill uncovered until cold, then cover and keep chilled.

Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Which is actually Alton Brown's recipe.
    All these years I belived you were a culaniary genius..........

My world is crashing all around me.

Sent from my phone that's better than yours.
    I've concluded that DJSapp was never DJSapp, and Not DJSapp is also not DJSapp, so that means he's telling the truth now and he was lying before.

Quote Originally Posted by toast2266 View Post
    Add pineapple to whatever recipe you use. It's good.

Hmmm.........

I add honey to my chili off offset (compliment?) the heat.......pineapple aye???

no beer its not chili
    watch out for snakes

One of the secrets to making great red chili is to use really good fresh ground dried chilis and cumin. You can't make a good chili with that store bought crap in the red and white can. Once you have procured a selection of quality freshly ground red chilis (I like to mix up ancho, guajillo, cascabel, Chimayo, and a little chipotle) and cumin then they have to be bloomed or toasted in oil to bring out their flavor. So I usually brown a good bit of beef in a large pot and then remove it from the pot with a slotted spoon so as to leave all the rendered beef fat to use to saute the onions and garlic as well as to bloom the spices. Sometimes I also toast a little bit of tomato paste in the rendered fat as well. Once everything is nice and aromatic I usually deglaze the pot with a PBR or 2. After that the meat goes back in along with some H20 to cover. All that simmers for a couple of hours to let the flavors meld then I usually add some black beans, diced tomatoes, Mex oregano, bitter chocolate, and salt. Give it a taste to check the seasoning and then simmer for another hour to get the right consistency. Simple and delicious.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Thanks to everyone, I used a combination of quite a few of the recipes and made my own chili paste from garlic, 4 different peppers, spices and some dried peppers that I rendered with boiling water.

It's really good, and I used 6 pounds of ground beef... Should have enough to feed 20 tomorrow.

Those peppers are rough to work with, I was coughing and wheezing and then the onions took me to the next level!

I don't think one single recommendation suggested using ground beef, although some specifically advised against it.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I don't think one single recommendation suggested using ground beef, although some specifically advised against it.
    Yeah, well feeding 20 people steak wasn't in my budget. Cest la vie.

Slow braised, cubed chuck ROAST is far cheaper and better than ground beef, IIRC. try that next go around....glad you like what you concocted!

Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    Slow braised, cubed chuck ROAST is far cheaper and better than ground beef, IIRC. try that next go around....glad you like what you concocted!

Tnx, rideit - I learned quite a bit from your thread. Costco had 6 pounds of ground for $18. Typically I like to buy better quality stuff but budget was tight.

Next time I will be doing it for just the family so I can give chuck roast a shot.

Toast and grind your cumin, add dark unsweetened baking chocolate.

There is a lot of bad info in this thread. Fennel seed has no place in chile. Fennel seed is for making sausage.

I thought I posted this last night (was drinking)....but how long should I braise 3/4" cubed chuck roast?

It love you long time...(I dunno, 2-3 hours at 225 or so?)

Working on my first real pot of chili, this thread inspired me!

Is it blasphemous to use beef AND pork?
    Even more so to use a mix of green and red chilies?
    I have some amazing stew beef and added some pork country style ribs in to make it juicier.
    And I blended a few types of green and red chilies into a paste, as suggested here:

https://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...52#post3759352

Oh, also, I'm using my fresh homemade beef stock to add some more flavor. I'm deglazing the pan ladle by ladle with about 500ml of beef stock, then I'm going to add the chili paste and cook that bitch for 4-5 hours.

Pics to come.

Friday Night I made a Texas/Cincy hybrid chili for our camping trip. 4 people brought pots of chili to feed 20 - mine was the first to run out. Sure I would have preferred a more classic Texas red, but fuck me if this wasn't pretty tasty for being thrown together.

Ingredients:

4.5 lbs "chili ground" 80/20 beef. Wife isn't a fan of using brisket - she likes what she grew up with.
    2 one oz. packages "Dried New Mexico Peppers"
    2 one oz. packages "Dried Ancho Chiles"
    1 Corona
    2 cans Hunts Fire Roasted diced tomatoes
    6 beef bouillon cubes
    2 sweet onions, chopped medium
    6 cloves garlic, pressed
    4 cups boiling water
    ~1 tablespoon Kosher salt

This was sprung on me by my wife on Friday evening - needed to make chili for Sat. Noon to take with us camping. Only store open was Safeway, and only beer left in the fridge was Corona.

-Placed peppers in SS bowl and covered with boiling water - placed second bowl weighted down with the Pyrex measuring cup inside to keep peppers submerged - I needed to speed up the soak
    -Browned Ground beef in two batches in cast iron skillet, then partially drained and put in slow cooker
    -Cooked onion in same skillet in some of the left over beef suet until most water evaporated and they starting to brown on the edges - added to cooker
    -once peppers were soft I pulled off the stems, split and seeded them by hand, then placed them into blender
    -strained soak water and added to blender, then pureed the fuck outta them.
    -Added Garlic to cast iron pan and let it toast 'til fragrant
    -added pepper puree, bouillon cubes, and salt - then let it simmer for 10 minutes to reduce and let cubes dissolve
    -Added beer & pepper puree to slow cooker
    -Drained tomatoes (wife, again, insisted on there being a tomato component) and added to cooker
    set to low and let that shit work overnight (~11 hrs.)

Thoughts:
    It could have been spicier for my taste, but there were women and children that needed to eat. The tomatoes completely dissolved while slow cooking - you honestly could barely tell that they were in there - which is a good thing IMHO. They did add the slight sweetness I expected, which is why I left the sugar out of the process. Wish I'd had a Shiner Bock to put in instead of a fucking Corona, but oh well.