Page 5 of 48 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... LastLast
    Looking at the long range, gonna be an all man made opening on the 17th. Hope I'm wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by NTN'er View Post
    Looking at the long range, gonna be an all man made opening on the 17th. Hope I'm wrong.
    I doubt they will bother opening early just for man made.

No so fast oh ye of little faith.

The 14 day forecast I have in front of me has the wet and low temps in the valley again after the weekend.

Its going to be damn cold over the weekend with the guns running wide open.

Marketing loves an early opening for the xth year in a row.

Chances are better then not for an early opening.

"14 day forecast" good luck with that....
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

No doubt eh.

How about the "its November, its going to be cold, raining in the valley & snowing on the mountain forecast"?

If I had money, I would put it on early opening.

Quote Originally Posted by TeCeBe View Post
    No so fast oh ye of little faith.

Its going to be damn cold over the weekend with the guns running wide open.
    Oh yah, -12 alpine temps, 150+ guns blasting away full crews, it can happen fast ! I know real snow doesn't come from hoses, but it sure is better than skiing on rocks and dirt.

Gotta like the enthusiasm in this thread .. But winter is clearly not coming, so I'm just going to put my skis back into storage!
    Quote Originally Posted by StuntCok View Post
    Splat did tell me he liked his pussy like he liked his ski boots. I guess he meant dank, stinky and a bit packed out.

I wouldn't go betting too much on an early opening. It's not just weather dependant as 'seasonal-employee' training dependant. In years gone past WB has opened as early as possible which didn't exactly work out too well due to inexperienced / untrained people not providing good enough customer service / attention to details.
    A couple of days at the most, if at all.

The whole point of the early opening is to train the staff and let the locals get their ski on before the paying customers show up.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Only tourists care about customer service.

All that matters to the locals is the lifts turn and patrol gets stuff open.

yep, looks like Whistler's getting skunked this season. Oh well, maybe next year...
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Staff getting trained this week. WB is now trying for the 17th, will decide tues after they see what the snowmaking team can do. If it goes, looks like the clinic is going to be busy
    Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut.

The gf and I went for a stroll to the Waddington hut this week. Close to 12" at the lake but no firm base. Still nice to walk around in the white stuff.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0997 (Large).JPG 
Views:	114 
Size:	304.4 KB 
ID:	125274   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0996 (Large).JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	335.2 KB 
ID:	125275   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0987 (Large).JPG 
Views:	77 
Size:	500.6 KB 
ID:	125276  
    Last edited by Mark-R; 11-11-2012 at 12:49 AM. Reason: messed up attachments

A friend of mine recently said the following in reply to my plea to Ullr to deliver the goods:

"hes just saving the precipitation up so it comes all at once in mass quantities. im not worried. Ullr's a cool dude."

As previously stated, Ullr's a cool dude and snow will come soon enough. And, no one will get to enjoy the shred until after exams are over

see you all on saturday (the 17th) morning for the opening, which is definitely happening. ego bowl chutes and olympic straightline should be good to go!

Heads up - Candide's new movie, Few Words is showing on the 2nd. Tickets here:

http://prod3.agileticketing.net/webs...-2bb369274092&

It's official. We're up this Saturday, Nov 17. http://pitchengine.com/whistlerblack...ay-november-17

Anyone been in the alpine lately? Is there skinning potential or is this a WROD only situation? The latest report said 50 cm base at Roundhouse, doesn't sound good...

Looks like whatever the base is will get quite a healthy boost between Friday and Sunday. Good thing I booked a trip down to Palm Desert for this weekend, ensuring copious amounts of snow for everyone else up here. Enjoy it you bastards.

I prefer my tib & fib in one piece and my bases ptex free. I will be staying close to the snowmaking equipment.

Saturday powder was nice.
    170cm (according to the probe) at 2500m. Get High.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PB100875.JPG 
Views:	223 
Size:	53.8 KB 
ID:	125608

It's official: Whistler's opening early -- November 17 at 8:30am.

Shocking

Thanks to cool temperatures, impressive snowmaking and natural snowfall Whistler Mountain will open five days early on Saturday, November 17. With five lifts running, guests will have the option to upload from either the Whistler Village Gondola or the Creekside Gondola. Blackcomb Mountain will open, as scheduled, on American Thanksgiving, Thursday, November 22, 2012.

Opening day festivities include the Wonder-Full Gondolas event - gifts for the first 1500 guests!

Upload on the village & Creekside gondolas.
    If you have a problem & think that someone else is going to solve it for you then you have two problems.

Quote Originally Posted by wren View Post
    Looks like whatever the base is will get quite a healthy boost between Friday and Sunday. Good thing I booked a trip down to Palm Desert for this weekend, ensuring copious amounts of snow for everyone else up here. Enjoy it you bastards.
    I'm in Palm Springs this weekend too! (same as Palm Desert right?) What you heading down there for?

I think it's going to be a balmy 27 degrees down there... Not conducive to ski stoke.
    The skills of evaluating evidence, posing questions and answering them, of writing, of mobilizing information in order to make an argument. I think all of that is important in a democratic society if people are actually going to be active citizens - Eric Foner

Aside from wherever the man made stuff is, there is no base what so ever. The alpine will most likely not be accessible if this storm plays out and any deep new snow in the sub alpine off piste will just be masking a world of hurt. Don't be the idiot who tib/fibs themselves on opening day.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

They should let me take my bike up to mid, a-line is probably good to go lol

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    Aside from wherever the man made stuff is, there is no base what so ever. The alpine will most likely not be accessible if this storm plays out and any deep new snow in the sub alpine off piste will just be masking a world of hurt. Don't be the idiot who tib/fibs themselves on opening day.
    ^^^Agreed

I have buddies who are psyched to "hike up" the alpine this weekend to find the goods. I have a feeling they'll be spending Monday filling in holes...Even though last year had an EPIC November start, the sharks were out in full force through Xmas.