Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: vintage

vintage

I actually still have an affinity for hardtails so I hear ya. funny to think that’s what I rd on my first trips to moab, etc bitd with a minuscule sid fork.
    bummer is that I was house sitting about 20 yrs ago when I first moved to WY and accidentally drove my jeep into the garage while the bike was on the roof rack. so unfortunately it’s more of a decor item now or townie at best
    skid luxury

vintage

That Fat Chance is SICK! You should make it into the dopest townie ever.
    It’s usually the fork that takes the hit in a garage strike. Throw on a suspension corrected rigid fork, Surly open bar, and some Kenda Kiniptions and you’ll be styling

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    Last edited by joetron; 07-13-2022 at 06:51 AM.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 2022-07-13 at 7.09.27 AM.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	642.2 KB 
ID:	421386
    I was in my hometown a few months ago and got out on my 93 Trek 1200. One of my favorite things about it is the sweet early 90's splatter paint job. This pic doesn't do the paint justice. Got it when I was in college in the 2000's and made a few practical upgrades over the years - new saddle, riser stem, tires. Sadly the drivetrain was neglected and is pretty much toast at this point. A project for me or someone at some point.
    I had so many great times on this bike . Riding it this summer was a treat.

Quote Originally Posted by joetron View Post
    That Fat Chance is SICK! You should make it into the dopest townie ever.
    It’s usually the fork that takes the hit in a garage strike. Throw on a suspension corrected rigid fork, Surly open bar, and some Kenda Kiniptions and you’ll be styling
    Thanks!
    Yea that is not the same fork that collided with the garage- I replaced that right away.
    But these days I also have 2 other cruisers that get much more use
    I keep this old Scott Peak at my office, which we all use for lunch runs and is pretty pimped out

Name:	IMG_6287.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	421397

and this is my ebike townie, which I dig that it looks vintage

Name:	IMG_6535.JPG 
Views:	94 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	421398
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    Thanks!
    Yea that is not the same fork that collided with the garage- I replaced that right away.
    But these days I also have 2 other cruisers that get much more use
    I keep this old Scott Peak at my office, which we all use for lunch runs and is pretty pimped out

Name:	IMG_6287.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	421397
    what tires are on it??

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what tires are on it??
    I want to know which handlebars bb is rockin’?

The chick has style!

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    what tires are on it??
    They are "Sweetskinz" - terrible name and I'm not sure they are even in business anymore, but they certainly add the pimp factor

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    I want to know which handlebars bb is rockin’?
    I think they are both just cheapy amazon brand. My ebike came with super narrow hipster handlebars and needed more sweepback
    https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    The chick has style!
    idk about that, but I do like bikes
    skid luxury

Quote Originally Posted by babybear View Post
    idk about that, but I do like bikes
    Inherently chicks have more style and with all the buffoons in here it's magnified tenfold!

Name:	IMG_0900.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	422246
    Bought this for a frame I don’t own. Thinking of building a vintage hardtail and couldn’t pass this up. These old rock shot forks just really do it for me.

Those mag 21 are sweet. Have one on the fat ti. I like it.

Tonight's project was gathering all the spare parts and putting the old Klein fervor back together. I think this is a 93. I got it for my birthday when I turned 15. We were visiting my mom's brother in Chicago who was being treated for cancer, and we're there for a while, so she took me around to several different bike shops and i rode a bunch of bikes. At the time we were living in PA, so lots of rooty technical singletrack. I liked the Stumpjumper, (the steel one) the Cannondale m800 beast of the east, and the Klein. Went with the Klein.
    Now it's back together, and i guess i wasn't totally done growing, as the bike is a hair small, but certainly acceptable for the occasional trip down memory lane. This was the bike i started racing xc on, and it always makes me think of my mom who passed 6 years ago about this time. It has worn many different forks, including a quadra 21, a mag 21, an amp research, and now the Manitou. Loved the old amp forks except for having to rebuild the pivots too frequently.
    The performance brand bike i picked up recently with full m735 xt donated many parts to the fat, and has now donated a few here. The elastomers from the performance's judy, much to my surprise were in good shape, nice and pliable, so i yanked the shitty ones out of the Manitou and put a bunch of the Judy ones in there. Nice and plush. 65mm of measured travel.
    XT rear derailleur, XT shifters courtesy of Noonan, XT rear wheel, LX brakes, and a few other goodies. A few years back i coughed up a bunch of $ for the matching paint mission control one piece stem and handlebar combo.
    Ride or stuck on the wall. I'm thinkin ride it a few times, then when it gets cold I'll stick it on the wall in the basement.

Name:	PXL_20220728_044924872.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	422610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220728_044920424.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	422611
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbeater View Post
    Those mag 21 are sweet. Have one on the fat ti. I like it.

Tonight's project was gathering all the spare parts and putting the old Klein fervor back together. I think this is a 93. I got it for my birthday when I turned 15. We were visiting my mom's brother in Chicago who was being treated for cancer, and we're there for a while, so she took me around to several different bike shops and i rode a bunch of bikes. At the time we were living in PA, so lots of rooty technical singletrack. I liked the Stumpjumper, (the steel one) the Cannondale m800 beast of the east, and the Klein. Went with the Klein.
    Now it's back together, and i guess i wasn't totally done growing, as the bike is a hair small, but certainly acceptable for the occasional trip down memory lane. This was the bike i started racing xc on, and it always makes me think of my mom who passed 6 years ago about this time. It has worn many different forks, including a quadra 21, a mag 21, an amp research, and now the Manitou. Loved the old amp forks except for having to rebuild the pivots too frequently.
    The performance brand bike i picked up recently with full m735 xt donated many parts to the fat, and has now donated a few here. The elastomers from the performance's judy, much to my surprise were in good shape, nice and pliable, so i yanked the shitty ones out of the Manitou and put a bunch of the Judy ones in there. Nice and plush. 65mm of measured travel.
    XT rear derailleur, XT shifters courtesy of Noonan, XT rear wheel, LX brakes, and a few other goodies. A few years back i coughed up a bunch of $ for the matching paint mission control one piece stem and handlebar combo.
    Ride or stuck on the wall. I'm thinkin ride it a few times, then when it gets cold I'll stick it on the wall in the basement.

Name:	PXL_20220728_044924872.jpeg 
Views:	77 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	422610Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PXL_20220728_044920424.jpeg 
Views:	84 
Size:	144.6 KB 
ID:	422611
    That’s super nice! So cool

Man I love this thread. I've let a few too many vintage MTBs slip through my hands in the pursuit of skiing gear and garage space, but now I'm itching to build something again...

Here's a caad 3 crit race special I put together a while back... A coworker found it on the sidewalk and brought it in to the office. I checked the serial# and found that it was stolen. I called the PO, and he said keep it, he had already replaced it. Frame up franken build with spare/used parts. I enjoyed for a while and then ended up trading it to a guy in exchange for his $500 donation to UGM, in light of how it came to me. I would love to build up another one of these frames--I love the look of the oversized aluminum tubing, and it is about as stiff as they come.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Vintage bikes have always been what fits my budget... Here's my current ride: Takara Elitist, Tange #1 tubing, Shimano 600 groupset. I rescued it from OfferUp and ditched the aerobars, caged pedals, etc., re-cabled it, installed a "modern" freewheel and proper tires. It did have pink bar tape when I got it, so I decided to let that part of it's previous life live on. I have raced it, more out of necessity than anything because it is now my only road bike.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post

Name:	IMG_0900.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	184.4 KB 
ID:	422246
    Bought this for a frame I don’t own. Thinking of building a vintage hardtail and couldn’t pass this up. These old rock shot forks just really do it for me.

I think I have a Rock Shox inflator for the Mag 21 sitting around somewhere, if you want it.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I think I have a Rock Shox inflator for the Mag 21 sitting around somewhere, if you want it.
    I just use a regular shock pump and a soccer ball needle.
    sigless.

Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    I wouldn’t say no. If you are willing to ship to Canada and I’ll cover the cost

Quote Originally Posted by Sandbox View Post
    I wouldn’t say no. If you are willing to ship to Canada and I’ll cover the cost

Sure. PM me and we'll sort it out.

It seems to hold pressure against my fingertip. Do not recommend sharing needles.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

Wow, that’s interesting

I had/have a similar piece, cant find it ATM. I think maybe I gave it to Self Jupiter. key is the pressure gauge scale. Needle with the SID but it fit the marzocchi schrader too if you took out the needle. He had to replace the vintage fork eventually (immediately). Shame. that marzocchi was so smooth.
    If we're gonna wear uniforms, we should all wear somethin' different!

Name:	vintage.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	360.1 KB 
ID:	422720

1992 Fisher Paragon. Was a warranty replacement for my CR-7 after they had to send me more fasteners to replace the one in the BB shell that kept breaking. Too bad, I loved that bike. Cost me $ 1200 bucks brand new and that was a lot of $$$ for a Mtn bike in 1988.

The Paragon was hated from the get-go, that AL frame is harsh as hell and the RS Mag-21 I built for it was so flexy going downhill it was a waste of time. I got into Kayaking and stopped riding around that time anyway so sat in the corner. I re-purposed it as a gravel bike and as long as I don't air the tires up too much over 28-30 PSI it is not an unpleasant ride. Maybe a carbon fork would help?
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

^^^And/or a fork with more rake

Is that the original stronglight crankset?

Nope, old XT with a Sugino Autex insert, one of the 1st self extracting crankset bolt systems.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Spotted this in the Ranch Camp shop last wk in VT for the other Yo Eddy lovers out there

Name:	IMG_5949.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	1.44 MB 
ID:	423191
    skid luxury

I kinda want this for a JH townie, mostly because I have never seen one before. I can’t even imaging how crappy this suspension was on trail!

Name:	3ADABAAA-2E29-4D26-95C0-BE72902803D2.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	759.9 KB 
ID:	423347
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident