Page 174 of 419 FirstFirst ... 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 179 ... LastLast
Results 4,326 to 4,350 of 10468
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    We're all very thankful that your memory skillz are infallible, Perry Mason.
    hey, whenever i can pull a petrics, i'm gonna jump all over the shit

rog

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    Warm, but fun weekend at Magic.
    Great skiing with you all again this weekend! Great day with the crew on Saturday at Magic and with Laseranimal on Sunday.

God I love skiing.

Legs are tired but happy today.

God I love skiing.

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    I bet he decided to book that ticket to Utah.
    would be a sound decision.......

todays avy report:

"Tuckerman Ravine has Considerable and Low avalanche danger. The Sluice, Lip, and Center Bowl have Considerable avalanche danger. Natural avalanches are possible and human triggered avalanches are likely. All other forecast areas have Low avalanche danger. Natural and human triggered avalanches are unlikely except in isolated terrain features. This is an unusual day as far as avalanche potential goes, so please read on for details.

Huntington Ravine has Moderate and Low avalanche danger. Central Gully and Pinnacle Gully have Moderate avalanche danger. Natural avalanches are unlikely and human triggered avalanches are possible. All other areas have Low avalanche danger. Natural avalanches are unlikely except in isolated terrain features.

Well, it sure is an interesting morning to be an avalanche forecaster. Hermit Lake is hovering just shy of 50F (10C) right now with thick fog up in the ravine. It’s been this way since early last night, and temperatures have been above freezing in the ravines since Friday. Yesterday, I thought we might escape without too much damage to an already thin snowpack, but the difference between yesterday and this morning is significant. The Cutler River leading out of Tuckerman has opened up completely and the Little Headwall is now a torrent of falling water. Today, temperatures will begin to fall back into normal winter numbers. The summit temps should go below freezing late morning and the rest of the mountain will follow in the early afternoon. This will begin a process of freezing the saturated upper layers of snow, but this process will take some time. Until then, we will continue to have free water within the snowpack percolating downward, finding small channels, and working its way into larger streams.

Today’s biggest avalanche problem is the potential for water in these streams to rise up into the snowpack and release wet avalanches. These may be wet slabs or loose wet avalanches, but either can be very dangerous due to their incredible mass. The locations where streams tend to flow all year and drain larger areas of the terrain hold the greatest potential for streams to exceed their capacity and overflow into the snowpack. The best examples of where we might see naturally triggered wet avalanches include the Lip, the Center Bowl, Sluice, Pinnacle, and Central Gully.

The avalanche potential in the rest of the forecast areas is lower than in these five slide paths, but remember that Low danger does not mean no danger. In many of these areas, there is less snow overall and less water draining down the gullies. I believe the probability that we’ll see avalanche activity here is at the level where “unlikely except in isolated terrain features” is the best way to describe the problem. The snowpack has already weathered a prolonged period of warm weather, so many of the potential weak layers have already been tested. Look at locations with pockets of deeper snow to be the ones that maybe have not been fully tested. Examples where I’d be on the lookout include the lower portions of the gullies in Huntington, also up high in Hillman’s and Left Gully, and in the mouth of Right Gully.

Ok, moving on from avalanches…today the mountain will begin to freeze up. Once this happens, conditions on steep snow will become treacherous. A slip, trip, or fall in steep terrain will need to be arrested immediately, and depending on how hard the crust sets up, this may be nearly impossible for even the most skilled mountaineer. Over the years we’ve seen enough of these lightning fast long sliding falls to know that they are not something to take lightly. Consider your terrain choices carefully this upcoming week. There are currently few locations where the runout of a long fall does not involve significant consequences."

the lil headwall may never come in this season, seen it before............grim.

twas barely skiable the two trips through last week, nice pow tho.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    hey, whenever i can pull a petrics, i'm gonna jump all over the shit

rog
    ZING! 123456

Wife called, Fedex just showed up with some goodies....

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130114_104040.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	1.10 MB 
ID:	130413
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    My dad was telling me he heard (so there, it MUST be reliable) there is only one January on record where we had no thaw, back in the early eighties. That also happened to be the January that he and his friends raised the roof of our then-house in Moretown to put in dormers. That was cold.
    SICK MORETOWN!!! my parents built a house on Howes road in 1970 that we still own. Absolutely Love it up there.

Make more cold. I got one day in at Jay peak last season and I haven't gotten on the snow yet this season!! Like the pirate with the steering wheel on his crotch, it's driving me nuts!
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Wife called, Fedex just showed up with some goodies....

BEAUTIFUL, WEEZE!!!

and, that winter of 93/94 wuz colder than a son of a whore, truth be told, ayuh

picked a good week to close and get moved in to the new house by the beach. let the check writing begin............

rog

Ugh. What happens to ULLR every Jan. that makes him take a whiz on the EC? Glogg hangover?

Anyway, I'm going to rogblog here to catch up:

JonathanS: I will send you a pair of of all Ti DIN 50 NASA branded tech binders if you DO NOT post pix in your new race suit

TC: knee's still just annoying here. I keep going thru MCL tear, reattachment and re-tear cycles. Going back under the knife this month. Been enjoying all the pics in absentia.

MBB: since I'm out, keep that gear unless you feel the need to get it back to me. I won't need it in the near future. PM me if you want to meet up, but really no hurry at all on my end. Hang on to it if it works for you.

May start unloading some gear soon due to the knee / knife.

Quote Originally Posted by vinzclortho View Post
    SICK MORETOWN!!! my parents built a house on Howes road in 1970 that we still own. Absolutely Love it up there.

Make more cold. I got one day in at Jay peak last season and I haven't gotten on the snow yet this season!! Like the pirate with the steering wheel on his crotch, it's driving me nuts!
    I miss it terribly, even though I am just over the hill now. Dream is move back there. Our place was up on the Moretown Mtn. rd, before Howe's on Carrigan, just above the sand pits. Views of the Hump out our window were stunning. Spent my childhood roaming the mountain woods behind us. Wish we still owned that house.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by road trip View Post
    Great skiing with you all again this weekend! Great day with the crew on Saturday at Magic and with Laseranimal on Sunday.

God I love skiing.

Legs are tired but happy today.

God I love skiing.
    You definitely looked fully stoked when we bumped into each other on the deck at Magic. Congratulations on making it through to the other side and getting after it!

A nice four day run: great conditions at Gore on Thursday (made with runs with Radam and his Dad including my first exploration of the trees this year), incredibly dry, loose powder on Freefall at Plattekill Friday, and two days of bizarre, thermal inversion at Magic. Had a great time skiing with both the regular Magic Mags and some folks I hadn't met before. And I'm doing what I can for the Worth cause: as I was going in for an afternoon break I ran into a guy on the deck I've met a few times before, he was asking about the DBs, so I suggested he click in and take them for a spin while I was recuperating. He got 2 runs in and then we finished the day out together including very last chair before the bell. His was impressed with the responsiveness and surprisingly quick edge to edge pop. It's definitely been a blast skiing on them and I'm pretty close to being dialed in on the sweet spot all the time now as I've gotten stronger and my balance has returned.

I had hoped to get whatever scraps were left today, but Magic opted not to open for a "snow preservation day." But I'm calling bullshit; snow pack and conditions at the end of the day yesterday were better than opening day on Magic Carpet --> Lower Trick --> Wand --> Showoff. The 10 or so skiers that would have shown up today would not have had any significant affect on the amount of snow left as we head into the cold cycle starting in the next day or so when they will necessarily be blowing more snow to prep for the MLK weekend. Of the 16 days they have been scheduled to operate since opening day, they have not done so for 4.5 of those days. Ah well, Friday's not *too* far off...
    If it's too loud, you're too old

On a separate note:

FUCK CANCER!!!!!!!

Really, this shit just eats me up.

Vibes to the Magic Mag going under the knife on Friday. I'll be thinking of you and look forward to your swift recovery and return.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    ZING! 123456
    gah! ow! gah! :P
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Quote Originally Posted by snowsprite View Post
    I just have to say that I am cooking up some of Numbrday's specialty bacon and have concluded that the world is a much better place with this bacon in it.

Unreal-good! Thanks Chris
    Glad you guys are enjoying it. There really is nothing that bacon can't make better. DW proved that with his Planks!

glad yall got out this weekend. i missed out on the soft snow, should have finally made that pilgrimage to the bowl saturday - looked fun!

picked up these for my GF on kijiji for our hut trip to mont logan in March. all of a sudden she's incredibly pumped to ski and is even asking me about telemark and listening to me go on and on about the BC

take note mags, italian leather may be the way to a girl's heart / stoke

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    You definitely looked fully stoked when we bumped into each other on the deck at Magic. Congratulations on making it through to the other side and getting after it!
    Great meeting you and glad we were able to figure out, well, that we were talking to one another! I think our conversation started completely generically as 2 guys who just didn't know each other and were simply sharing how stoked we were to be there!

Happy that you had a ton of skiing on that 4 day run!

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    FUCK CANCER!!!!!!!
    Really, this shit just eats me up.
    Vibes to the Magic Mag going under the knife on Friday. I'll be thinking of you and look forward to your swift recovery and return.
    x1000000000000

Great looking boots, rudeness. My old skool buddy and I were out for a few laps in leathers and straight sticks today to celebrate our birthdays. Happy Birthday Tua us!

^^^ love the Tua stoke! i've got her on a pair of Karhu Orions. I've got some Madshus Eon which are great but I wish they were still Karhus. Would be fun to try the Fischers with the "nordic rocker" some day.

And big vibes to anyone fighting the big C. All power to ya

Just puttin' it out there...

"If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Great looking boots, rudeness. My old skool buddy and I were out for a few laps in leathers and straight sticks today to celebrate our birthdays. Happy Birthday Tua us!

Sounds like birthday turns were the watchword of the day. Happy, Happy! Bottlewoman making hers in surprisingly good April corn

Name:	Jan2013ThawA.jpg 
Views:	175 
Size:	148.2 KB 
ID:	130432

Name:	Jan2013ThawB.jpg 
Views:	172 
Size:	127.4 KB 
ID:	130433

You can take the girl out of SMS but you can't take SMS out of the girl

That spot was skiing so well this weekend. Looks like it still is. Hmmmm....pre-dawn raid? Well, then it may be rink-ish.

weasel1...Those are some sexy ass boards there....grrrrrr they a FKNA SWEET.....
    always forward but never straight

That spot was skiing so well this weekend. Looks like it still is. Hmmmm....pre-dawn raid? Well, then it may be rink-ish.
    The Birthday Girl makes bad conditions look good. Wait 'til it warms up or we get more snow

Building a fighting force of extra-ordinary magnitude
    I miss it terribly, even though I am just over the hill now. Dream is move back there. Our place was up on the Moretown Mtn. rd, before Howe's on Carrigan, just above the sand pits. Views of the Hump out our window were stunning. Spent my childhood roaming the mountain woods behind us. Wish we still owned that house.
    well, my folks partially cleared out about 5 acres of land they have put up for sale if you wanna build a house. views of camel's hump, sugarbush & MRG!

f'n 55 degrees in boston today. killin me!!!!!
    thats new hampshire as fuck

We ain't eager to be legal, so please leave me with the keys to your Jeep Eagle.

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    glad yall got out this weekend. i missed out on the soft snow, should have finally made that pilgrimage to the bowl saturday - looked fun!

picked up these for my GF on kijiji for our hut trip to mont logan in March. all of a sudden she's incredibly pumped to ski and is even asking me about telemark and listening to me go on and on about the BC

take note mags, italian leather may be the way to a girl's heart / stoke
    nice boots! spent my 1st coupla seasons west skiing in the almost identical merrill version of those on 80-60-70 dynastars. skied all terrain on that setup, even everything in tux and beyond. the gear we use today isn't really even skiing imo. WAY too fucking ez

in preparation for the new home closing tomorrow, i smartly packed my board and suit while heading off to the banks and whatnot. my gal sees me grab my board and asked what i was doing. "oh, nothing honey" . fucking 60 degrees with full sun and fine lil waves rolling through. thank god the walk through tomorrow morning isn't till 8:30am.......and only a mile from the beach

fucking strawjack!

rogblog

From NEWW an hour ago.

THE LITTLE WAVE THAT COULD

Latest guidance is suggesting the little wave for Wednesday riding North along the stalled cold front may be a bit more juiced than earlier progged, will up snow amounts to 4-8 inches in some locations and 6 inches in others, Winter Storm warnings and or advisories may be needed later this evening or tomorrow morning.

Silent....but shredly.