Page 381 of 419 FirstFirst ... 376 377 378 379 380 381 382 383 384 385 386 ... LastLast
Results 9,501 to 9,525 of 10468
    Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    who routed your front break hose

rog
    Your spelling teacher

heh, good catch^^^^^^i was on break, so....

rog

Was on the inside and a loose stick got caught in the spokes and hose, so I moved it out. Lots-o-sticks laying about around here. I do my own builds and repairs as the local shop is inhabited by a bag of dicks.

T-O-P ish tunes

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

cool mang, just curial is all

rog

Does anyone have rainfall totals so far this month? It's been insane! Locally we're keeping MTB to a minimum to avoid serious damage to trails/streams/etc. Road riding on slick roads when drivers have limited vision due to rain is too risky for me as well. I can't even cut the damn lawn!

Oh and my buddy bought his Jamis from Jenson so they're not much help to him.

Christmas in June. Loving the steezy red sidewalls.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3370.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	139141
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    Christmas in June. Loving the steezy red sidewalls.

Name:	IMG_3370.jpg 
Views:	654 
Size:	1.11 MB 
ID:	139141
    Nice! What models? Like the graphics. No new stix for me. Saving $ for trips next winter. Telluride, Baker, Jackson Hole and Katahdin. At least that is the wish list.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Oh and my buddy bought his Jamis from Jenson so they're not much help to him.
    ya mail order sux. you may save a buck now, but.........

rog

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Nice! What models? Like the graphics. No new stix for me. Saving $ for trips next winter. Telluride, Baker, Jackson Hole and Katahdin. At least that is the wish list.

Now that's a freakin list!
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

^^^^^^great list Lynchy and trips definitely trump gear. So will that be 3 trips west or one giant road trip? I know how to get a bit off the JH tickets. Send me a pm, they are very dear and it is hard to get a discount. Then again you sure can make things work.

Vt-Freeheel, those are some purty skis. I like the shape of them.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    ^^^^^^great list Lynchy and trips definitely trump gear. So will that be 3 trips west or one giant road trip? I know how to get a bit off the JH tickets. Send me a pm, they are very dear and it is hard to get a discount. Then again you sure can make things work.

Vt-Freeheel, those are some purty skis. I like the shape of them.
    Easy boys. I said it was a wish list but hoping to get two out of three for sure plus Katahdin.
    Tride is definite since I have a free hook with old roomy an bff (daughter's lingo ).
    Jhole would be next since I bought "The Little Black Book" this summer. Can't stop drooling. Cat discount tix would be great. Thanks. I will be in touch as fall rolls around.
    But if conditions are right I will have a list to tick and lift served just won't cut it .Katahdin last week of season for sure.
    Baker will probably wait since I would want to hit others out there and tour too. Whistler. I have a cousin who lives in Seattle that I would want to see and ski with. If I hit the powerball I will just be on a perpetual roadtrip. Can't win if ya don't play.

Last edited by lynchdogger; 06-29-2013 at 06:35 AM.

interesting:

http://www.powdermag.com/stories/adi..._556619_556624

Adirondack Amendment
    Hunting for gladed glory in the largest state park in the continental United States

“It’s not illegal to ski here,” says Ron Konowitz over the phone. Konowitz, a retired school teacher from Keene Valley, New York, would know. He’s been skiing in the Empire State’s Adirondack Park since the ’70s.

Konowitz, 59, is the president of the newly formed Adirondack Powder Skier Association. Aside from an awesome name, its aim is to make backcountry skiing in the park more accessible. Despite a multitude of slide paths formed each year, skiers have few options when it comes to safely exploring the six million acre park. The APSA’s hope is to amend a 1973 piece of legislature adopted by former Governor of New York Nelson Rockefeller so that they can create a series of skier-specific trails.

With the Adirondack Park Land Use and Development Plan, the state hoped to channel future growth in the park around existing communities, ensuring the more wild areas of the park would remain, in the state’s words, “forever wild.” Hundreds upon hundreds of interlinking hiking trails spread like roots through the High Peaks and surrounding areas, creating one of the largest recreational areas in the United States. Konowitz and Co. hope to create maintained, less-invasive gladed trails in order to promote backcountry skiing in a region dependent on tourism.

“It’s frustrating that we’re not being recognized,” says Konowitz. “We feel like we’re really responsible stewards. I mean, we don’t want to ruin this place either. We’re all about protecting it. It’s just when the original plan was written, there were no backcountry skiers.”

The Adirondacks are rich with skiing history. The famed Adirondack Mountain Loj, originally built in 1890, has its roots as a ski destination. In the 1930s, the Department of Environmental Conservation printed pamphlets pointing out myriad ski trails throughout the park. In 1932, Lake Placid hosted the United States’ first Winter Olympics, opened by then New York Governor Franklin D. Roosevelt. When lifts reached the region in the 1940s and ’50s, folks stopped climbing to ski and the Adirondacks lay virtually dormant from backcountry skier traffic till the 1970s. At that time, the Land Use Plan was developed, and because, as Konowitz believes, the gear at the time was heavy, fewer people were backcountry skiing and thus skiers were left out of the plan. In 1980, Lake Placid would hold the games again, joining only St. Mortiz, Switzerland, and Innsburck, Austria, as the only sites to host the Winter Olympics twice. They were the first Games to use artificial snow, on nearby Whiteface Mountain. Its hike-to terrain, The Slides, is 264 feet higher at 4,650 feet than its highest upload, providing Whiteface with the greatest continuous vertical drop in eastern North America at 3,430 feet, which is even more than they have in Aspen, Colorado.

Significant weather events, like 2011 Tropical Storm Irene, create slide paths in the High Peaks region of the park, creating continuous powder runs and setting the stage for a backcountry skiing renaissance in Upstate New York.

As the last fifteen years brought innovation through lightweight gear, more people in the Adirondacks are hoping to explore the park through skiing. However, uphill traffic from winter hikers and snowshoers makes the downhill portion of the backcountry skiing experience dangerous, which is one of the reasons Konowitz and the A.P.S.A. is working with the D.E.C. and Adirondack Park Agency to create skier-specific trails through naturally occurring birch forests. Their trails would utilize the sign-out register system already present at hiking trail outposts in the park. Lyon Mountain is one of the first proposals. It is located in the northern region of the park, relatively close to half of a dozen major colleges and universities. Other proposals are in the Saranac Lake Wild Forest, near Saranac Lake.

“They’re not that steep, “ says Konowitz of the proposed terrain. “It’s not a slide path. I’d say it’s anywhere between 15 and 25 degrees. Maybe a couple shorter sections are steeper.”

Alpine skiing is mentioned in the 1973 Plan, but maintains only that state-owned ski areas Whiteface and Gore Mountain be updated so that the mountains, “should be modernized to the extent physical and biological resources allow.” The Marcy Trail, that leads to the top of New York’s highest peak at 5,343 feet, Mount Marcy, has only a half-mile left of the ten-mile trail that’s designated for ski use. “It doesn’t really start or end anywhere,” says Konowitz.

In New York, there is hope as current Governor Andrew Cuomo is keen on responsible, big ideas to help economically grow the state. When researching for this story, calls to Governor Cuomo’s office were redirected to the D.E.C. office in Albany. In a written statement to Powder.com, David Winchell, D.E.C. spokesperson to Region 5 of the state said: “Depending on the circumstances, there may be State Constitutional concerns regarding cutting trees for maintaining glades for skiing on the Forest Preserve lands; the Adirondack State Land Master Plan does not recognize ski glades as a conforming recreational facility or type of trail except possibly on those lands classified as intensive use; and the clearing of trees, brush and other vegetation to maintain glades for skiing is a prohibited activity under the New York State Environmental Conservation Law and D.E.C. regulations.”

Konowitz, however, maintains that cutting will not be an issue. “We’d mange the undergrowth by clipping horizontal stems and minimal undergrowth,” says Konowitz. “On hiking trails they remove the top soil down to a hard surface. What we’re proposing is so much less invasive than that.”

Konowitz is a lifer in the Adirondack Park. He completed the 46 High Peaks at 14 and finished skiing all the peaks in 1996. It’s fair to say no one is more competent about skiing in this region than he is. Konowitz is committed to working through the proper channels to expand the terrain options. He’s working together with D.E.C. and A.P.A. because he believes backcountry skiing will draw a younger crowd to towns in need of tourism dollars.

“It helps the economy and these towns that are struggling,” says Konowitz. “It’s an activity that’s been here a long time, but hasn’t been recognized by the state.”

On the right is the Back Country with standard graphics. Skiers left the MVP custom graphics with carbon build. Working on plans for the upcoming season as well, hoping to get Katahdin in as well as some other odds and ends, lets hope is snows BIG this winter.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Those are sick skis! We need big snow indeed.

The article on the APSA is pretty good. I had no idea that guy was an adk 46er in two categories. Really impressive.

In other news, blueberry season is in high gear in southern ny. Grab your pants and deet and go get some.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

I like a lot of things "very moist" but not my summer weather. Where the f is summaaahhh?

Hope this coming weekend and the 4th of July turn this around.

Like the article and attitude of the Daks Assoc. This needs to spread throughout the east. Proper glade cutting and management is sustainable and good for the economies of the north. Plus the areas are getting crowded. I saw six other folks in the CH this winter tracking up my pow! Unacceptable!

Saw this guy in the home garden the other day:

Name:	dragon fly visitor.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	801.5 KB 
ID:	139213

That is all.

I like a lot of things "very moist" but not my summer weather. Where the f is summaaahhh?

Whaddya mean? We need some rain in these parts - it has been roughly six hours without water and the the plants are looking parched

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Whaddya mean? We need some rain in these parts - it has been roughly six hours without water and the the plants are looking parched
    I pretty sure my plants' roots have rotted off and now they are wilting. Had to replant the green beans in my garden because the seeds rotted.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Finally got back into the surf at Rye yesterday after missing all of last summer. Conditions were mediocre but wow, that felt good.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	beach-family-jmo.png 
Views:	5 
Size:	540.9 KB 
ID:	139218  
    Last edited by JMO; 07-01-2013 at 03:33 PM.
    People shooting ski areas should be sued.

Wow, just read this:

"Heavy rain is now moving through York and Cumberland counties. Some areas could see as much as 4 to 5 inches of rain per hour, while others will see 2 to 3 inches per hour, said Margaret Curtis, a National Weather Service meteorologist."

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Wow, just read this:

"Heavy rain is now moving through York and Cumberland counties. Some areas could see as much as 4 to 5 inches of rain per hour, while others will see 2 to 3 inches per hour, said Margaret Curtis, a National Weather Service meteorologist."
    This rain FUCKING SUCKS!!!! We had 4 days of rain, followed by a beautiful Saturday...only to be followed by a ridiculous storm yesterday....and it continues to rain today. I heard on the radio that Delaware broke it's June rainfall record: old record appx 9.5", new record: 13+". ...and it's supposed to rain until Saturday.

I don't know about Global Warming....but, there's certainly Mid-Atlantic drowning!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    This rain FUCKING SUCKS!!!! We had 4 days of rain, followed by a beautiful Saturday...only to be followed by a ridiculous storm yesterday....and it continues to rain today. I heard on the radio that Delaware broke it's June rainfall record: old record appx 9.5", new record: 13+". ...and it's supposed to rain until Saturday.

I don't know about Global Warming....but, there's certainly Mid-Atlantic drowning!!!
    NWS sez highest two month rainfall in BTV history at 18.6". Seems like we have had more in the CV but perhaps I am deluding myself. Just think if this amount of moisture fell in February and March...........

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Just think if this amount of moisture fell in February and March...........
    ya cuz if it fell in january it'd surely be hot rain.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    ya mail order sux. you may save a buck now, but.......
    They won't even tell you to fuck off in person when you break their skis (although I don't know anyone who has broke Praxis .

Lynchy - Hiked Katahdin yesterday, definitely want to go back when there is snow. Saw a dude finish his through hike, it was very cool seeing that. Man, those mountains are STEEP. Went up Abol and down the AT. Going down took forever.

When is the ride off between Rog and Buttah? Whatz the rules? How far is the race? I believe neutral ground is in order... Massachusetts. Personally, I think Rog has lost a step now that he's over 40 I'll start the handy-clapping by saying I think Buttah has him in a sprint but Rog'll win in the distance.

Speaking of infamous ECRC posters, what ever happened to Petrics?

GP is probably out doing something rad and not posting about it since he only ever gets hate for getting after it.

I'm not sure what everyone is bitching about with this weather.. Saturday was the biggest day I've had on the river to date. Back for moar tomorrow.

I was being a Hero for most of the trip. Will offload some clips from the computer in the shop.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    They won't even tell you to fuck off in person when you break their skis (although I don't know anyone who has broke Praxis .

Lynchy - Hiked Katahdin yesterday, definitely want to go back when there is snow. Saw a dude finish his through hike, it was very cool seeing that. Man, those mountains are STEEP. Went up Abol and down the AT. Going down took forever.

When is the ride off between Rog and Buttah? Whatz the rules? How far is the race? I believe neutral ground is in order... Massachusetts. Personally, I think Rog has lost a step now that he's over 40 I'll start the handy-clapping by saying I think Buttah has him in a sprint but Rog'll win in the distance.

Speaking of infamous ECRC posters, what ever happened to Petrics?

I looked in all of the shops and not one had any Praxis skis available. I also mount my own skis, what is the shop for? I forget.
    I do want to get to Maine this summer, maybe in the fall after the skeeters die off.

I think we have seen our 40 days and 40 nights already, lets move on. The big river rafting looks like a good time, must be busy this year.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime