Page 246 of 419 FirstFirst ... 241 242 243 244 245 246 247 248 249 250 251 ... LastLast
Results 6,126 to 6,150 of 10468
    Dawn patrol started a little after dawn today, but the snow was nice and soft and didn't see one snowcat. It was a nice peaceful skin to start the day

It looks like wawa did really good with that storm. The walls on the sides of some trails were about 3-4' tall in some spots!

Obligatory "Training for AK" pic:

Need advice:

I want to go to VT for probably Sun+Mon this weekend. Just me & need a place to spent the night. I've been to Killington which has a $35 Turn of River Lodge, and also Grampa Grunts at Jay.

I really want to check out Sugarbush or MRG (since I got kind of bored of K-ton). Anyone know of a similar super cheap place to crash in that area?

thanks

Hostel Tevere at the bottom of the Sugarbush Access road

Pop your MRG cherry at another time.

Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by masaraksh View Post
    Need advice:

I want to go to VT for probably Sun+Mon this weekend. Just me & need a place to spent the night. I've been to Killington which has a $35 Turn of River Lodge, and also Grampa Grunts at Jay.

I really want to check out Sugarbush or MRG (since I got kind of bored of K-ton). Anyone know of a similar super cheap place to crash in that area?

thanks

^ hows that? is there that little cover?... and what about Sugarbush?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to the East coast.

Either way, its too late now. just booked for sunday.

Not much snow in the Central Greens. Think you'll find a lot better coverage where they have been making snow (subtle hint to ski the Bush).

Quote Originally Posted by masaraksh View Post
    ^ hows that? is there that little cover?... and what about Sugarbush?

Sorry for the stupid questions, I'm new to the East coast.

Either way, its too late now. just booked for sunday.

Keep in mind that changes with a burst of snow Not trying to keep anyone away from MRG but if you're going there for the first time this is not the time to do it.

Pretty sure my season is over. Broke my ankle & tore miniscus Tues at Stratton. If anyone wants to duck the rope on the lower traverse over to the Ursa chair don't do it. It's closed for a reason & I found out why the hard way.

to masarak, you got the season right, it is officially winter. but that doesn't mean there's much snow out there right now. low tide for most spots. sunday river/sugarloaf have pretty good cover in the woods. the loaf has plenty.

keep your lodging and go to stowe.

+1 on whoever recommended the loaf for mid/late april skiing. NOTHING in the east touches the place for late season, not even george most years. it's a deep snow base beer drinkin scantily clad womens party up there the whole month.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Pretty sure my season is over. Broke my ankle & tore miniscus Tues at Stratton. If anyone wants to duck the rope on the lower traverse over to the Ursa chair don't do it. It's closed for a reason & I found out why the hard way.
    fuck man, so sorry to hear. heal up quick!

rog

Anyone up in the NEK that might be able to tell me a little something about the conditions on a mountain past a big house and a few small cabins? Shoot me a PM, I would really appreciate it.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

^ thanks. seems like it will be

- up @ 4am & drive to Sugarbush
    - stay at that hostel for $35
    - 6:30am to stowe

Here I sit all set to make a snippy comment about GPS maps and I realize that I might be skiing with you up there so I best STFU.

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    Anyone up in the NEK that might be able to tell me a little something about the conditions on a mountain past a big house and a few small cabins? Shoot me a PM, I would really appreciate it.

^^ Wait, I thought you had the GPS maps? How am I supposed to know where to go?
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

FACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by akokskis View Post
    ^^ Wait, I thought you had the GPS maps? How am I supposed to know where to go?

call ahead for the hostel, I know last week I booked the last 2 bed for tonight & sat a week ago, but I dropped beds I had reserved for Saturday.

Think I'm gonna head to jay in the AM, have a Stowe voucher, but hoping for a better day to cash in...

^ didn't call since they seem to have a functional booking system online. still worth confirming you think?

I can't remember if I already posted this but for any of you freekheelers looking to get together with other telemarkers:

I'll be leading a 'Woods Clinic' in the afternoon and there are usually lots of prizes and giveaways that are worth the price of admission alone!

Shit, steamboat. I ducked that rope a few times last Saturday during the storm. There were some nice fresh turns in there. I guess it had set up or something in the following days. Sorry to hear about your leg.

Not sure exactly what I hit, never saw it. It's only a little run out over to the chair & it looked fine from above. You can see the whole traverse from the top. Next thing I know I hit some kind of trench, popped out of both ski's & was airborne. Might have been some kind of water bar that was frozen over.

Maybe I can salvage some spring skiing out of this season but I'm not sure. Let me tell you it sucks having a cast on & hobbling around on crutches. Not to mention the pain. Wish I had a ranch style house because going up & down stairs ain't easy. One good thing is the doctor doesn't think I'll need surgery on the knee, just therapy. Would you believe I got up, gathered my stuff & skied down on my own? Then drove all the way back to NYC by myself. This happened on the 1st run of what was supposed to be 4 days of skiing.

^ damn man. sounds fucking painful.

how did you drive back to nyc?

Thought you guys might enjoy this. Tried to follow Nemo's hardest hit areas in Massachusetts and Connecticut but due to the road closures in Connecticut, we couldn't get anywhere north. So decided to make the best of it and randomly find a mountain on the side of the highway and skin up. Never has the snow been so deep this far south.

steamboat1 - sorry to hear. From experience, rest now and push it when your docs gives you the thumbs up. If you are supposed to be non-wait bearing than do it. It is about the long term brother. Don't push too early. Heal up.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by SKIORFORGETIT View Post
    ^ damn man. sounds fucking painful.

how did you drive back to nyc?
    Actually the drive wasn't bad. Cruise control most of the way. A little problem braking in stop & go traffic in the city but otherwise not a problem. It was harder getting to the car from the base lodge then getting in my house when I got home then the drive was. I have experience driving injured. Once drove home from Pico with 2 broken wrists & bruised ribs after hitting a tree. Another time drove home from Stowe with a torn rotator cuff.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    steamboat1 - sorry to hear. From experience, rest now and push it when your docs gives you the thumbs up. If you are supposed to be non-wait bearing than do it. It is about the long term brother. Don't push too early. Heal up.
    I hear you, that's my plan. Yes I'm not suppossed to put any weight on the ankle. If the bone shifts then I'm fucked.