Page 181 of 419 FirstFirst ... 176 177 178 179 180 181 182 183 184 185 186 ... LastLast
Results 4,501 to 4,525 of 10468
    Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    My advice would be the pump house and the bar are your best friends tomorrow, doubtfully that the tram rolls at all and the freezer will be...well, you can find out the hard way I guess.
    The freezer ... so so so true! Heated boots, down, mittens and a few nips. Groomers early then the bar and wait for the Jay cloud to kick in. Hope NEK gets a foot!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

^^^

Vt ski, neufox and I enjoyed a classic freezer day a few Saturday's ago...of course the conditions that day were well worth enduring the near tropical (more arctic really) storm force gusts and frequent stops, usually occurring just as we crested the ridge for added effect!

Let's hope this is the beginning of getting us back to where things were that day.

Winds at Jay[and other areas] will be out of the southwest ie the backside, should be manageable. Temps will be OK Sat and Sun morning.

THE FORECAST FOR JAY PEAK, VERMONT AT 3,858 FT:
    LAST UPDATED AT 324 PM EST FRI JAN 18 2013

.TONIGHT...PARTLY CLOUDY UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN BECOMING CLOUDY. A
    CHANCE OF SNOW UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN SNOW AFTER MIDNIGHT. LOW AROUND
    4 BELOW. TEMPERATURES RISING TO AROUND 16 AFTER MIDNIGHT. WEST WINDS
    25 TO 30 MPH...BECOMING SOUTHWEST 30 TO 40 MPH AFTER MIDNIGHT. WIND
    CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 31 BELOW.
    .SATURDAY...SUMMITS IN AND OUT OF CLOUDS. SNOW IN THE MORNING...THEN
    SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY IN THE AFTERNOON. HIGH AROUND 25. SOUTHWEST
    WINDS AROUND 45 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 4 BELOW.
    .SATURDAY NIGHT...SUMMITS IN AND OUT OF CLOUDS. A CHANCE OF SNOW
    SHOWERS UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY AFTER MIDNIGHT.
    LOW AROUND 20. SOUTHWEST WINDS 45 TO 55 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS
    LOW AS 2 BELOW.
    .SUNDAY...SUMMITS IN AND OUT OF CLOUDS. SNOW SHOWERS LIKELY. HIGH
    AROUND 20. TEMPERATURES FALLING TO AROUND 5 ABOVE IN THE AFTERNOON.
    WEST WINDS 50 TO 55 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 27 BELOW.

DETAILED FORECAST DATA:

DATE SAT 01/19/13 SUN 01/20/13
    TIME (EST) 18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18
    TEMP (F) -4 -1 8 14 18 20 21 22 24 25 24 23 20 18 15 9 1
    WIND DIR W W SW SW SW SW W W SW SW SW SW SW SW W W W
    WIND SPD (MPH) 25 28 31 36 43 44 43 42 42 46 49 54 56 55 51 51 49
    SKY COVER (%) 10 44 89 OB OB100 IO IO IO100100100 IO IO IO IO100
    WIND CHL (F) -30-27-15 -9 -4 -2 0 1 4 5 3 1 -4 -6-10-19-30
    PROB PRECIP (%) 1 12 68 95 87 80 58 36 32 29 44 55 61 59 62 53 47
    SNOW AMT (IN) 0 T 3 1 1 1 T 1 1

$$
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

WHERE THE FUCK IS TC??
    #HughConwayMatters

DID THE VOICE OF NEW ENGLAND SKIING BAIL AS SOON AS THINGS GOT ROUGH??!!!!?

WTF!!?

In other news, holy temp turn-around! 20 deg. warmer today at the Bowl than yesterday. With winds ramping up tomorrow, today is the day for the kiddos. Off to slay the Wonder Carpet today!!! WOot!
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

25.9` and fucking windy bob although the house is not shuddering like it was at 5:30 am. No new snow here but the old snow has been transported to who knows where?
    I see a few folks out on the trails and will join them for a few runs/hours depending on conditions.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    In other news, holy temp turn-around! 20 deg. warmer today at the Bowl than yesterday. With winds ramping up tomorrow, today is the day for the kiddos. Off to slay the Wonder Carpet today!!! WOot!
    Haahaa no kidding. I Jammed the wookstove before bed because it was -3..... and 7am this morn the place is like sweedish hot box.. Off to Magic I think.

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
    TV interview with one of the three caught in the MTW avy.

If the intertubes aren't failing me this guy's father, the group leader, is Andy Politz, who among other things has summited Everest.

Appears there were 12 in the group. I'm just learning this stuff (taking AIARE I in March) but that sounds like a lot of people to me; will be interested in the human factors.

From the group's FB:
    Party of twelve is way too many people? Ya think? Absolutely and especially in those conditions - in any really. This could have turned out so much worse than it did.

Lucky SOB's. Unfortunately some real poor decisions were made here. I was at IME yesterday after climbing and spoke with one of the SAR responders - these guys were real lucky no one was hurt or killed.

I don't want to turn this into slide zone but will just like to share this from NE Climbs: http://www.neclimbs.com/forum.php (sorry links only go to home page. Weak. But can find thread in epics & accidents. Dave Lottman sums it up well and the key always falls back on to the human factor and decision making. We all can be victims of this (I know I have) so fight the urge and make good decisions.

"I am very glad to hear no one was killed, and hope that when the whole group has had some time to heal and reflect on the choices for the day, route selection, lack of avalanche safety gear, travel techniques, etc they'll share their errors in detail with the public in order to help prevent similar accidents. Statements like "a slab avalanche broke loose" shirk responsibility. The group triggered the avalanche, it was not a natural avalanche, and the bulletin spelled out the how very possible this was.

Strong human factors, from climbing for a great cause, to having a film crew documenting the ascent, led people to either ignore the risks that were presented from both Mother Nature and the USFS Snow Rangers or caused them to accept much greater risk than they would have otherwise. Serious self-reflection and a willingness to share what really led to this incident will help save lives in the future."

Wow. Lucky. All you Jongs reading this, take a class and read some books including this series - sobering and very educating: http://americanalpineclub.org/p/anam.

Play safe. House work and chore weekend. Look forward to some pics and stoke. Enjoy the weekend all.

Go Pats!
    Last edited by lynchdogger; 01-19-2013 at 08:43 AM.

Just to get back on track and bump some stoke. Love this shot. Love wind buff pow on the steeps in stable conditions. Damn that looks tasty.

Editing my comment since they were hurt and the group included a disabled vet. I do think its fair to question their decisions but I feel like a dick making jokes about them being spansered.

Anyone skiing Plattekill on Monday? Lots of flurries in the forecast. Maybe they can catch some secret moisture.
    Last edited by ex-powderbroker; 01-19-2013 at 11:22 AM.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

http://www.killingtonzone.com/forums...b45ce8723a2946

Waiting for all the folks who were slagging magic for a lift breakdown during a holiday week to start bitching that Killington should have constructed a backup power plant :-)
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Where I ski in Ontario is getting a foot and a half in the next week!

jgb@etree Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    "No honey, I'm not drunk... beer is the Doctor's recommended medication and therapy for my back spasms."

Hope you heal up soon... be ready for the Blizzard of 2013 coming this February!
    Thanks BD. Needed some hair of the dog since MMP came thru with some Toppers last night and one of the bartenders made me an amazing concoction of Jim B., Jack D., SoCo, Amaretto + ginger that really had me feeling good! Apparently it also affected my judgment and I tried to take a run and set myself back a bit. Couple more of those drinks and I'm back on an even keel though

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    ^^ happy birthday VT-free.
    i won't be in the MRV this weekend to buy you a beer, so help yourself to one more of my nitros your still holding

bummer...medicating at the bar is the better way.
    8 years back when i tweaked my back, i thought i could medicate+ski some bumps the following day to loosen it up.
    felt good til i stopped skiing and the completely disabling stabbing back spasms started. ...and continued for several days.
    older and wiser i no longer take chances with my back.

only the knees

don't know if you've done 'em at all but the cat and dog yoga stretches were really helpful during those back-painful days.
    http://www.ehow.com/video_4976836_yo...g-stretch.html (sorry, it wouldn't embed)

acupuncture also put the first smile on my face after many days of permanent pain grimmace.

heal up soon...i still wanna try out your superbros
    Thanks for those stretches. Got the spasms under control, so now it's all about stretching + strengthening. Someone got me doing the 'pigeon' so might as well get down with the cat + dog too. As long as you stay a 325 you're welcome to ski anything I've got. You won't wanna give the superbro's back. Hope you make it over to Magic soon - it's been too long.

Managed to miss all but UNM at Magique today. Nice day out though, warm air and fast hardpack. UNM, great to meet ya, nice Jacket.

Highlight of the day was watching (I think) the Magic freeski team get coached down Redline, 12yos throwing dirt turns and ripping. Viva Magique!

Quote Originally Posted by buckethead View Post
    ^^ happy birthday VT-free.
    i won't be in the MRV this weekend to buy you a beer, so help yourself to one more of my nitros your still holding

Thanks, Bucket bday on Sunday, NmbrdDays bday today.

Happy Birthday NmbrdDays!

Skiing was OK today, had to slip through the line to keep waits to <5 minutes. Day 6 fixed, forgot how much fun it was.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime

Ventured into the low and mid angle woods on a 2500' knob on the leathers and pins today, in an effort to avoid the mobs at the lifts. The firm base kept us out of trouble and the 4" of fluff on top made the turns rather fun.

Thanks Vt-Free. Turns were bad at north today, not great but still fun. Back at the bush tomm.

Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    MMP came thru with some Toppers last night
    didn't peg philip aka POW as a heady topper type.

as for you, shouldn't you be lightening up? helps injury recovery. beer ain't gonna help.

altho, for getting stuck for long bits of time on a chair, the extra flab certainly helps i'm sure

rog

oh-key nordic for lunch.
    shit was fast today!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Shout out to Buttah and the fine folks at Totem Pole:
    - moved to the front of the line - check
    - quality work, done quick - check
    - Mag discount in effect - check
    - Enjoying the Magics before lunch - check:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1358646086.560350.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	130803

If you need work done and are in the Ludlow area, get yer ass to Totem Pole!

PS: early review of the Magics is a resounding: YEEEAAAA!!!!
    It makes perfect sense...until you think about it.

I suspect there's logic behind the madness, but I'm too dumb to see it.

STH 14's, good choice sir!
    2cm behind the dimple, that looks like the schweet spot.
    cool boards, tip is almost BBR like.
    good to see you again, guy.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    Shout out to Buttah and the fine folks at Totem Pole:
    - moved to the front of the line - check
    - quality work, done quick - check
    - Mag discount in effect - check
    - Enjoying the Magics before lunch - check:

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1358646086.560350.jpg 
Views:	326 
Size:	188.2 KB 
ID:	130803

If you need work done and are in the Ludlow area, get yer ass to Totem Pole!

PS: early review of the Magics is a resounding: YEEEAAAA!!!!
    Sweeeeeeeeeet! Thanks, Butttah, for setting him up on the quick! Most of our shapes do best mounted at minus 1-3 from the dimple, IMO.

ISBD and TC have prevailed upon me (okay, it was easier than it sounds, there...) to build up a MegaGeorge. We are doing a February build, and there will be a few pair of these built. George shape, but tweaked: 195cm, 30.25m radius, 153-120-130, 11.5cm setback. Early rise tip, slight early-rise tail. And spec'd STIFF. Dual carbon layup. Can't wait to try these bad boys. GRRRROWLLLs are not optional when driving them.
    Last edited by weasel1; 01-19-2013 at 09:56 PM.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1358654529.649878.jpg 
Views:	330 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	130806Cold as sh

39.6` bob, yeah that's right, thirty nine point six , WTF? Windy as fuck also. Chance -o-rain overnight then sub zero? Oh Well it's the EC and anything goes. I'll be out early no matter what. Fugging Rye is gooood.

Live your own life..

Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 01-19-2013 at 10:30 PM.
    www.apriliaforum.com

Ottime