Page 144 of 419 FirstFirst ... 139 140 141 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 ... LastLast
Results 3,576 to 3,600 of 10468
    Wow this sucks.

"For Sunday 12/30 Regrettably we have closed for the day for safety reasons to continue to work on the Red Chair which did not perform to standard when it was fully loaded today. We will update you on progress and regret the inconvenience for so many."

Intensely deep blower at smuggs today. We keep getting gifted in VT, 14-17" of 3.5% snow. Trees were skiing thigh deep. White beards all around today. And It keeps snowing....

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Intensely deep blower at smuggs today. We keep getting gifted in VT, 14-17" of 3.5% snow. Trees were skiing thigh deep. White beards all around today. And It keeps snowing....
    Damn dude. Should have stayed. And could have. Our family plans got cancelled today. Nice to live there. Get sum for this flatlander. Enjoy.
    Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    The Passion is in the Risk

That is a total bummer for the Magic crew and peops. Like EW says, good that there is no one injured, etc., but still blows.

Made it to Middlebury early for a morning session with the Worth family (and token Bro):

Conditions were amazing and I can't tell you how much fun the George's were in the deep untracked pow! The trees there are all in play and so much fun. Thanks to Jason and AK for the tour... it was definitely a top ten day!

Weasel1, home from Florida for only six hours, then out on the slopes:

Sidra:

Akokskis blowing through the trees and loving it:

And his better half:

Thanks so much Weasel and family... glad we got to make some turns so early this year. Those George's are awesome!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    That is a total bummer for the Magic crew and peops. Like EW says, good that there is no one injured, etc., but still blows.

Made it to Middlebury early for a morning session with the Worth family (and token Bro):

Conditions were amazing and I can't tell you how much fun the George's were in the deep untracked pow! The trees there are all in play and so much fun. Thanks to Jason and AK for the tour... it was definitely a top ten day!

Sidra:

And his better half:

Thanks so much Weasel and family... glad we got to make some turns so early this year. Those George's are awesome!
    Meh. I can see that I did not miss much.

Just kidding of course - looks great! At least 6" of light snow down here in the valley so I can only imagine how good it was up there. Will anybody be in these parts tomorrow?

Just drove by... taking the fam to Middlebury antiquing. Tomorrow Ski
    Dood, really? If you're coming to Middlebury to look for antiques you have to stop by and visit with Vermont's top antique dealers, don't you?!

Great job BD!

A couple from around the mountain today

Last edited by thin cover; 12-30-2012 at 05:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Been deep under cover in the NEK chasing pow! Mission accomplished! Yummy.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums
    nice man, glad you scored!!!

8" of lovely new pow pow on the deck this am in york. headed to the beach as 1st light was showing and pulled up to deserted chest/head plus perfect aframe waves coming thru. fun to trudge in shin/knee deep snow along the wall to get down to the beach. classic winter session. shit if this keeps up, i may be looking at continuing my skiing in 2014

not gonna go north this week due to the cold and wind. plenty of snow round here to get some great skinny ski tours in.

what a fucking winter for everything fun!

rog

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Meh. I can see that I did not miss much.
    ditto...

that said....everytime I see some pink bases, someone's killn it...this bodes well for the Georges. Congrats Worth Team....getting some good press here...

Dood, really? If you're coming to Middlebury to look for antiques you have to stop by and visit with Vermont's top antique dealers, don't you?!
    My bad... I will make sure it's on the must stop list this summer. Love Middlebury, the town and bowl.

Also, just want to say with the utmost clarity and conviction... I F'N LOVE MY NEW GEORGE'S!!! They go where I want, turn when I want and are just a blast to ski!

Thank you so much Jason, and all of you awesome mags who chipped in for them! They are much loved and appreciated.

Nice stoke everyone, again! Things are looking good in NoVT. Took a nice little solo powsurf tour this afternoon at the local hill while the babe was napping. My wife is starting to get pissed, I've been sneaking out everyday for the past 4 days, gonna try for tomorrow too!

My Pops came to visit this weekend and brought his skis

Purdy views yesterday

Major bummer:

"Dear Magic Customers:

I am writing to provide you all an update on the status of the lifts and unfortunately the news is not good. We need to replace one of the brake systems on the Red Chair which requires procuring a part from Utah and, after installation, an updated inspection. We will make every effort to expedite this repair, but we will not be able to open for the next two days."
    Quote Originally Posted by doughboyshredder View Post
    If you're not standing on the fucking traverse with your thumb up your ass you wont get checked.

dumbfuck.

It was deep today. Smuggs pulled a nice game reporting 1" at 5:30am and upping it to 12-14" at 9am.

TC at 10am, making sure they're not upping the numbers:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0637.jpg 
Views:	204 
Size:	1.43 MB 
ID:	129063

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0648.jpg 
Views:	196 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	129065:

Been a great week. Thanks for guiding, tc!
    If you are driving to Jay Peak this evening, please drive carefully you bad ass.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    i don't get it with that fucking place.
    get yer shit dialed for xmas week.
    weak sauce Magic.
    and i'm a fan but thankfully not a shareholder, otherwise i would be ripshit!
    Sorry folks, but gonna have to agree here. Love the place, love the vibe, love everything about it. But really?

Sidra:

And his better half:

Woot woot!!!!!! What a great day! Glad to tour you and the georges around, stoked you're enjoying 'em. I can't get enough of mine in the last few days, the conditions have been straight up all time for the past few days. WOW

Just kidding of course - looks great! At least 6" of light snow down here in the valley so I can only imagine how good it was up there. Will anybody be in these parts tomorrow?
    Yes, not sure if spinning or touring, either way will be tits. I'll let you know later this eve duder.

Nice pics from the northlands TC & VTCS!!
    go Go GO!

23-24: 36. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

^ Gotta love Smuggs!

Quote Originally Posted by Speedfreak View Post
    Major bummer:

"Dear Magic Customers:

I am writing to provide you all an update on the status of the lifts and unfortunately the news is not good. We need to replace one of the brake systems on the Red Chair which requires procuring a part from Utah and, after installation, an updated inspection. We will make every effort to expedite this repair, but we will not be able to open for the next two days."
    i thought they spent $$$ last year getting the Black Chair back on line, i'm pretty sure it ran once or twice?
    what happened with that?
    major fail, i'm sorry for all the shareholders, but i've never seen a better xmas week as far as weather goes.
    people are stoked and spending huge coin.
    this is the week to make your nut. i would lose my shit as a shareholder, just sayin'
    crab in my shoe mouth

Full text of Jim's letter

December 30, 2012

Dear Magic Customers:

I am writing to provide you all an update on the status of the lifts and unfortunately the news is not good. We need to replace one of the brake systems on the Red Chair which requires procuring a part from Utah and, after installation, an updated inspection. We will make every effort to expedite this repair, but we will not be able to open for the next two days.

With respect to the Black Chair, it is not approved yet because the lift inspector has provided an extensive punch list of items which will take some time to complete.

I would like to apologize to the friends and fans of Magic. We have been hit with some extremely bad luck in terms of the Red Chair failure, but ultimately I am responsible for delivering a reliable product, and on that front I have failed. I understand the level of frustration and disappointment that people are feeling, and will assure you all that I and my team will make every effort to repair the lifts and get the mountain open again as soon as possible. I will personally keep you all updated on all developments, and will provide a time frame for you all as soon as I am able to do so with some certainty. Thank you.

Jim Sullivan
    President
    Magic Mountain
    P: 802-824-5645
    Fax: 802-824-5199
    E-mail: jsullivan@magicmtn.com

Buttah unfortunately it sounds like this is just one of those times when shit just breaks. Rule on my golf course is that the machines know when it's either Friday or a holiday because that's when they ALWAYS break down because you can't get the part you need to fix them. This is a huge blow to magic like you said this is when you make your nut.
    For sure, you have to be lost to find a place that can't be found, elseways everyone would know where it was

Quote Originally Posted by laseranimal View Post
    This is a huge blow to magic like you said this is when you make your nut.
    Exactly. My heart goes out to them... tough time to break down. Magic needs some magic.

On another front, more from MSB on Ski The East

The Worth Skis posse... not nearly as tough as they look. Tougher:

LOLMAGIC

After all the hype I read on this board about Magic, I finally decide to make the trek. As I pull into the parking lot at 9:00 AM I quickly discover that Magic has HIV.

ended up at a crowded and windy Stratton.. Ski Turns were made.

Where should I go Tuesday? MCSB is a bit much for a day shot with the family in tow. I saw that Platty got to full open today, was anybody there? It doesn't look like anything special in the Berks but if someone knows differently I'd like to hear it.

LOLMAGIC

After all the hype I read on this board about Magic, I finally decide to make the trek. As I pull into the parking lot at 9:00 AM I quickly discover that Magic has HIV.

ended up at a crowded and windy Stratton.. Ski Turns were made.

I can't even begin to describe the dark funk I'm in. The two runs I managed to get in at Magic yesterday showed a glimmer of the promise of better skiing to come. Today should have been completely awesome and instead it was a complete disappointment, compounded by the fact that tomorrow and Tuesday are non-starters as well. I do appreciate the offer from PJ09 for some AT gear to borrow to skin up but the reality is that I'm barely strong enough to go downhill; uphill under my own power is simply not happening.

I considered going to Plattekill tomorrow since they are 100% open with great conditions and not 1 but *2* functional chairlifts, but I really can't justify spending the $58 for a ticket. The only reason I'm able to ski at all is I bought my pass at Magic before I found out I had cancer. And I've still got some financial cushion to pay the bills while I look for my next gig, but it won't last if I start blowing it on non-discounted lift tickets because Magic failed to deliver.

And it was a management and operational failure, not just a mechanical failure. The Black chair was operational last season. They had many months since the end of the season to do whatever was necessary to make sure that it was inspected and ready to go when needed. I've heard all the excuses, so don't bother repeating them, at least not to me. Every ski area lives or dies on its ability to move people uphill. Most areas have enough lifts that they can continue to operate if there is a mechanical failure or conditions like excessive wind that shut one (or more) down. Magic's management made the decision to start the season with only one operational lift and it has had two separate failures in the middle of a big holiday week.

There's no doubt in my mind that this disaster will cost Magic dearly in terms of lost revenue both now and in the future. Yesterday, the place was packed with more people than I've seen in the last three years. Not so much today after yesterday's shutdown. Lodge and parking lots were fairly empty. I'm guessing that a lot of the vouchers they gave people are not coming back to the mountain. It's not just about the cost of the lift ticket. A lot of people planned their vacations around going to Magic; they don't have a ski house in the area and aren't going to day trip from wherever they live for one day of skiing. I'm sure there are plenty of people who legitimately feel that their vacations were ruined and regret choosing Magic instead of one of the many other destinations available.
    If it's too loud, you're too old

and peeps were definitely spending tons of coin in southern VT.. lots of people were turned away.. the lot was full.

Stratton had it's busiest day in history yesterday with 10K people estimated.

I feel bad for Magic.

I got on the first chair at Magic today, good thing I guess. Untracked all the way back to the base, nice. Noticed the red down again and the angry mob at the base area, decided to walk back to the top and have another. Glad I did. I don't get out much so it was just nice to be back on my favorite hill alone for a while. Plus that long walk was good for me. Better than work.

I feel the pain of Jim and staff, they are up against the wall. I for one will patiently wait, they'll get it right. It could be worse right? I mean they could be closed, but they aren't. They'll fix it up.

Happy New Year you freaks, see you at Glebe.