Page 166 of 419 FirstFirst ... 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 ... LastLast
Results 4,126 to 4,150 of 10468
    I can use some collective wisdom. I have a moving 7-8 day window to head up to Smuggs. I have to be back in PA by the 28th, no later. Leave tomorrow and take advantage of current snow and what may fall between now and Saturday, hoping the warmup is short and immaterial at higher elevation? Or head out midweek and roll the dice that the cold returns and we get nuked in that window of time? Looking at several weather sources including the Honorable Lionel Hutz, I'm undecided. Impulse and the need to ski wants me to head up tomorrow. But a little patience could pay off. (Unless we get a fuckin ice storm per Josh Fox's scary words.) Yeah, I know, 1st world problems thread.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    I actually thought about Whaleback. I remember spotting it from the car on the way to Ullrfest, and thinking it would be a fun place to make a few turns, but definitely not worth the trip if I wasn't already in the area.

My new strategy (which is still evolving) may be to try to get a hotel in some place like Littleton, NH, and give myself easy access to a number of different places (by my math, Cannon, Burke, Jay, and Wildcat would all be within 1.5 hours or so). That way, I can make a game-time decision. We fly home first thing Monday morning, so I'm planning to grab a hotel near the airport in MHT, but don't need to be there until late at night anyway.

Is that a workable approach, or would I be better to just try to pick something and stick with it? This will probably be my only chance to head north this winter, so I'd like to make the best possible day of it. It sounds like the end of next week might improve conditions somewhat, but trying to predict what they'll be 2+ weeks in the future is probably a waste of time.

Yes. Like it - especially if focus of trip is skiing and not romance. You're married so your used to not getting any so you ought to focus on the important stuff.

Cold weather coming in and staying for a while is the long term forecast. Dress warm.
    The Passion is in the Risk

I've also seen some chatter from New England Weather Works on FB about something hitting the east coast later next week -- (sure, it's still over a week away, but these guys have been pretty good so far this season)
    +2 on the cold. break out the woolies!

NEWW is an interesting new entry to the field, but someone needs to buy them a barrel of periods for their posts, their run-on sentences are KILLIN' me, how can people who are smart enough to get meteorology have such fucking atrocious grammar, first-world problem, hope the arctic incursion doesn't shunt snow off to the south.
    Last edited by monkfish; 01-09-2013 at 02:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Moeghoul View Post
    I can use some collective wisdom. I have a moving 7-8 day window to head up to Smuggs. I have to be back in PA by the 28th, no later. Leave tomorrow and take advantage of current snow and what may fall between now and Saturday, hoping the warmup is short and immaterial at higher elevation? Or head out midweek and roll the dice that the cold returns and we get nuked in that window of time? Looking at several weather sources including the Honorable Lionel Hutz, I'm undecided. Impulse and the need to ski wants me to head up tomorrow. But a little patience could pay off. (Unless we get a fuckin ice storm per Josh Fox's scary words.) Yeah, I know, 1st world problems thread.
    Chatter is calling for a storm right around MLK day, which is pretty normal. I would shoot for MLK as the mid-point of your trip, then you should be pretty well-off.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
    NEWW is an interesting new entry to the field, but someone needs to buy them a barrel of periods for their posts, their run-on sentences are KILLIN' me, how can people who are smart enough to get meteorology have such fucking atrocious grammar, first-world problem, hope the arctic incursion doesn't shunt snow off to the south.
    omg agreed. don't want to be a grammar nazi but a lot of their shit is almost unreadable. LH on the other hand, has a way with the wrods

how can people who are smart enough to get meteorology have such fucking atrocious grammar
    Lots of people who are very good at science suck at english. Lionel is an attorney so he thinks in more than 1's and 0's.

Edit - Just saw his latest. http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/january-thaw/

Liking "Now, following this period, it looks COLD. VERY cold in fact. All major models are showing the development of a cold active pattern with summit temps in the -30c range and steady weak low pressure systems moving through the region. With the AO set to tank and the PNA set to return to a positive phase, this has support from key teleconnections. So don’t despair, winter looks poised for a return shortly."
    Last edited by neufox47; 01-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HE6G70cozAU
    here's some great east coast snow from a little earlier in the season

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LsEEjtRFfCc
    I thought you guys might also like this vid of another way to enjoy deep snow.

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    LH on the other hand, has a way with the wrods
    he does indeed have a way with white ribbons of death...
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Lots of people who are very good at science suck at english.
    Sure everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Maybe another way of asking my question is how someone can get that far in school literally unable to write a sentence. We're not talking advanced stuff here.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    That may be a workable angle, too. Part of the interest in staying east is that my friend will be driving out from Maine, and I don't want to make him drive too far, since he'll have to get back Sunday night. That doesn't mean BTV is out of the question (in fact, I think we could crash at his mom's place there), but I'd want to get his signoff before making that plan.

You registered just to help me out?! Much appreciated. I'll take a look at Cranmore for the half day. Basically, we want to get as much time on the snow as we can, and pretty much anything's going to be better than Ski Liberty.
    Ski Liberty = first mountain I ever skied.

I have been to Whaleback and Ragged pretty frequently but ages ago. Ragged is a pretty solid mountain and if it gets snow it can be very epic.

Whaleback does not have much vertical drop but it is fun time. The best feature is the night skiing IMO.

can't wait to get my winter started

Sure everyone has strengths and weaknesses. Maybe another way of asking my question is how someone can get that far in school literally unable to write a sentence. We're not talking advanced stuff here.
    Think i remember reading in one of the NEWW posts that the primary individual posting is dyslexic. Leaves it a little more understandable as to why the grammar is poor.

Wait. I'd wait till the following weekend....whatever the eff those dates are...something in the teens.

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    Chatter is calling for a storm right around MLK day, which is pretty normal. I would shoot for MLK as the mid-point of your trip, then you should be pretty well-off.
    Worthy Weasel Wisdom right there.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post
    he does indeed have a way with white ribbons of death...
    thought i'd throw a total ski-dad joke in there, nice catch (=

this time next week i'll be in the chic chocs!!

Worthy Weasel Wisdom right there.
    Of course, that means you are skiing during the holiday weekend, but that doesn't matter as much if you know where go.... ;-)
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by lionelhutz View Post
    Wait. I'd wait till the following weekend....whatever the eff those dates are...something in the teens.
    Midweek it is. Thanks, counselor. PS: Up date yer location and dork status. you live in VT and are a koolkid now.
    Silent....but shredly.

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    Chase cam of my friend Brian following me first run at Jay Saturday:

Photos (shutter froze):

Twas an awesome day for sure, glad we crossed paths for a short period, great chase cam and stills, can't say I was brave enough to take one pic all day.

VTCS - Was up high today (a little too high actually), winds got angry in the early afternoon but conditions are still worthy in my book. Not sure I can escape tomorrow but will let you know if I decide to head up in the morning, happy b-day!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20130109_123623.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	2.09 MB 
ID:	129972

Great kid stoke Weasel.

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    EW and Sprite, it was good seeing you guys on fri, thanks for the brews. Enjoy the swine!

This was quite the weekend up in Vt. Went up with IrishExit and linked up with Vt-Free for some turns and some après heddy toppers. Ill be up for the Bday weekend, I have to try to get my hands on some to bring home. Got word my winter vaca will be ending sooner than expected. Not happy bout work but a paycheck is a nice thing. Maybe there is one more week in the cards and I can hit platty fri.....

Tbatt, have fun man. Kudos for pulling the trigger and doing what I never could. Ill be out in march. Lets make some turns.
    Succulent Alert
    numbrd has been frkn killing it this season with his maple cinnamon bacon..
    thanks for dropping by C..pleasure was all ours :-)
    word to wise..put some orders in with this guy!

Definitely a bit of wind affect but still a very good day in the woods.

Name:	Granville2013Q.jpg 
Views:	113 
Size:	259.1 KB 
ID:	129981

Name:	Granville2013R.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	324.8 KB 
ID:	129982

Name:	Granville2013S.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	165.7 KB 
ID:	129983

Name:	Granville2013T.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	326.1 KB 
ID:	129984

It has been said before but I'll say it again - TC is a frickin' MACHINE for putting on those skins every day. Truly impressive. I am thrashed after today's tour. Back to the bullwheel tomorrow. Let's hope the Mighty, Mighty has their shit together Not sure what will happen if I find the place wall to wall with idiots again.

TC must have the second best cardio on the board. Maybe after Lee Lau.

BM, looks good to me, but not so sure Benny would approve. Those trees look a little too far apart in your last pic...

EW, I agree... NumbrdDays knows bacon. Drooling as I type. Great to see some ski stoke, too.... looks like Numbrd and Neufox know skiing as well!...
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Anyone know of a good place online to check snow conditions up at Baxter SP? Does one even exist?
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Wait it out. When we get rains, the pow comes soon after. That or it really sucks but I'm betting on pow.

Quote Originally Posted by sequoiashan View Post
    Wait it out. When we get rains, the pow comes soon after. That or it really sucks but I'm betting on pow.
    Seems like a safe bet given how well Ullr treated us just after little baby Jesus' birthday.

Psyched for an epic return to groomers and gaperdom the 18th.