Page 155 of 419 FirstFirst ... 150 151 152 153 154 155 156 157 158 159 160 ... LastLast
Results 3,851 to 3,875 of 10468
    Easy way to determine charge/no charge for rescue:
    The State Police create a panel (Or group of specially trained officers) that is responsible for interviewing the rescuees immediately upon rescue. They have a standard checklist of questions that goes through some basic backcountry preparedness (I'm using "backcountry" loosely here).

Question 1: Describe you "backcountry skiing" plan.
    1a. Where were you starting?
    1b. What time were you starting?
    1c. Where did you plan to exit the backcountry?
    1d. What time did you plan to exit the backcountry?
    1e. Did anyone else know what your plan was?

Question 2: Is anyone in your group familiar with this specific terrain and/or skied it before?
    2a. Were they involved in creating the plan from Question 1?

Question 3: Do you have basic supplies to survive overnight in the backcountry (food, water, firestarter) and can you show them to me? (Must provide proof that a fire was started and food wrappers/containers if supplies were used prior to rescue.)

Question 4: Did you or a member of your group experience a major equipment failure or sustain an injury that made completing your plan from question 1 impossible?

The panel then works with the resort Ski Patrol to review the answers to question 1. If there is no plan or the plan does not make sense (e.g. you can’t get to point B from point A) = LARGE CHARGE. And end of analysis.

If they had a real plan and pass question 1, then the panel considers the answer to questions 2, 3, and 4.
    If the interviewee answers “yes” to Question 2 and 3 they are not charged.
    If they answer “no” to either 2 or 3 = SMALL CHARGE.

Answering “Yes” to question 4 wipes out any “no” answers for 2 and 3. This falls into “These guys had a plan. Although they could have been better prepared, they had some bad luck and needed help to get out.” = NO CHARGE

This solution does have a bit of bureaucracy to it. However it is expedited bureaucracy in that I feel the determination of financial charges can be decided in the lodge within an hour or two after the rescue is complete.
    I'm not sure what the scale of financial charges that the State Police have but haven't been enforcing is.
    However, I would set it at: Large Charge = $1000/person. Small Charge = $500/person. This likely wouldn't pay for the whole rescue process but it would help defray costs a bit.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by smartyiak View Post
    B/c I'm the newest of noobs, I will now ask a stoopid question: when dealing with somewhere like Pico, can't you just turn around and walk back from where you came?

Fire away!
    Good Question, survey says; most lack the physical fitness to plow back uphill.

Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    Permits??? Jesus that should be on a list for worst/most expensive and least helpful ideas of all time haha

Yeah let's open ourselves to regulation and fees! I always knew something was missing from my BC experience, who knew it was a badge, a bill and a list of rules!

I mean, tell me how it would be enforced, what it would regulate and what restrictions it would place on what areas?? It honestly fails every major common sense test I can muster and would waste TONS of taxpayer money... Which means it'll probably be a law in 5 years unfortunately. It's only free until someone figures out a way to fuck you out of it. I say we let this due right now before some govt dickhead gets wind of this great idea and ruins everything.
    Permiting idea = stooooopid as most of these lost assclowns are weekend warriors who did something stooooopid, not folks whose plans went awry
    As DW says how would this be enforced, administered, sols ect without costing 15 times what it takes in and most rescues would still be weekend warriors following tracks.

This happens every good snow year[less often in bad ones] and will continue, hope no one dies.
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Plattekill tomorrow. Have some BoGo's if anyone wants to split a ticket.

No DP for me, but I'll be there during the day - pm me your # and I'll text you after I've schralped all the pow.

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    Probably be at Jay tomorrow... Anyone up for a dawn patrol?

Quote Originally Posted by gpetrics View Post

I hesitate to do this since I know how some of you love it when I link to my blog, but [URL="http://www.famousinternetskiers.com/is-it-time-for-backcountry-rescue-insurance-in-new-hampshire/"]...
    Jeez, as if I don't see it enough coming across Facebook and everything else! Man, getta job or something!

From_the_NEK, interesting framework. Not sure of small vs. large charge exact amounts but, the idea is solid and would serve as a deterrent from unprepared tomfoolery.

Busy holiday season of visiting and family, here is a sample of humble snow stoke from yours truly, special thanks to Santa as she brought me a better camera. And it is wintry. Huzzah!!

ECRC mags, may your 2013 be filled with "eleventy million inches" of pow; STOKED.

Was planning on smuggs tomorrow but with everything on wind hold at jay this afternoon might have to amend that plan. Of course, with the forecast that hold might not get lifted until afternoon tomorrow, decisions, decisions. Will hit you guys with a pm if we decide to head north.

Nice little clip mtl, let me know next time you are crossing the border.
    Last edited by FussyDutchman; 01-04-2013 at 12:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    Was planning on smuggs tomorrow but with everything on wind hold at jay this afternoon might have to amend that plan. Of course, with the forecast that hold might not get lifted until afternoon tomorrow, decisions, decisions. Will hit you guys with a pm if we decide to head north.

Nice little clip mtl, let me know next time you are crossing the border.
    Jay lifts on wind hold until tomorrow afternoon = score! Rarely is the Bonaventure Quad on hold for more than one day. If that opens tomorrow it is an EASY hike to the west side of the mountain. Hell, even if only the Jet is open it is not hard to get to the rest of the mtn.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

^^^

Very true. Some of my best days at Jay have been Jet/Bonnie only days. Now, I just need a kind local to give me a good tour of BJ one day

Quote Originally Posted by FussyDutchman View Post
    ^^^

Very true. Some of my best days at Jay have been Jet/Bonnie only days. Now, I just need a kind local to give me a good tour of BJ one day
    I'll be there Monday

Anyone have any scoop on whether Magic will spin the Red tomorrow or Sun?

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    I'll be there Monday
    Damn, headed out of town for work but I'll take you up on that sooner than later

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post
    According to FB, the part is in and they are getting inspected today. So that's a good sign.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomCrac View Post
    Suppositories convinced me it was a good idea to wear a helmet.

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post
    There should be an announcement later today (I hope). The part they needed has been installed, the lift inspector is on site and they are in the process of load testing right now. Fingers crossed for good news, I'd really like to ski without having to skin tomorrow.

Oh for crying out loud people. READ.

I never said the state "should" begin issuing permits. I said "could". Because it can. And, frankly, I wouldn't be surprised. I don't think it is a good idea, or necessary (yes, this IS exactly what I said before, read the posts). But it is a possibility we should all be aware of and ready to address should legislators get the bug.

Honestly, I don't think there will be much appetite in the Leg. this session for all that much more than healthcare issues, so I don't see it being pressing. But if many more of these hits the news, it could be. It's up to those of us who are in the BC to make sure that we do what we can to see that things go the way they should. When you see people doing things they ought not do, say something.

Insurance is no different at its core than a basic license system, its just the insurance co. shareholders that get the funds, not the state.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Quote Originally Posted by radam View Post
    I'd really like to ski without having to skin tomorrow.
    Pussy...
    Helloooooooooo Kitty!

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    Oh for crying out loud people. READ.

I never said the state "should" begin issuing permits. I said "could". Because it can.
    Bear in mind the state "could" also make pink bases on all alpine skis not designed as "women specific" skis illegal..because it can.

Not so cold today so I decided to get high on the spine.

Up

Higher Up

Down

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Bear in mind the state "could" also make pink bases on all alpine skis not designed as "women specific" skis illegal..because it can.
    Nah, first amendment dude...

Methinks State could require permits on State land, but not Federal or private. However charging for a rescue is certainly within it's limits. I used to participate in the PADI insurance when I did SCUBA. It was REdiculously cheap for what it could get you out of. Insurance can be set up as a non-profit, blah blah blah. I actually think NH has a kinda decent system, with a few exceptions. I like the idea that they basically look at what you did and see if it was dumb. What I don't like is that they often consider any off trail activities to be dumb. So some asshole hikes up Lafayette in jeans on a 5 degree November day and needs a rescue, no charge.

I'll be at Jay tomorrow. Fussy D, pm me if you want a tour of BJ. May do some touring laps in the area Sunday before this bottomless cold pow gets the warmup. Edit - Bright Green Arct'eryx jacket and worth humpbacks.
    Last edited by neufox47; 01-04-2013 at 04:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberridge View Post
    Heh! Nah, we have a high-powered lobbyist on retainer....
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Finally got around to writing up a blog post on this favorite white mountains locale, and here's some skintrack stoke

Here's to the weekend, somebody pass me a beer or five.

Well, was gonna head to Magic tomorrow if they got the lift running.. but just heard from my boss that he needs me on call, with a max 2 hr response time. Magic is just outside that window, but Gore is doable.

So... anyone else gonna be at Gore tomorrow?

jgb@etree Guest
    They just updated their facebook page.

The red chair passed inspection & is ready for duty tomorrow.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CamelsHumpJan2013C.jpg 
Views:	132 
Size:	344.9 KB 
ID:	129457

Always great to explore new spots. Just barely scratched the surface today - will be back many more times

Insurance and permits? The pussies are running the asylum! Someone tell me how to drive over to core forum once I finish my Evan WILLIAMS and put my ski boots back on.

Whiteface was good today. No lifts to the upper mountain. 3" or so of snow. My boss took a digger and then fell on his racer sharp ski resulting in a huge flapper and 11 stitches on his thigh. I had some monofilament so we did it in the parking lot though. Looks like we have an official belayer tomorrow.

More stoke please!

Edit to add: have fun at Platty, party people.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi