Page 68 of 419 FirstFirst ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 ... LastLast
Results 1,676 to 1,700 of 10468
    Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    receiving and retaining your own personal troll is hard work, but is so worth it. i can't thank POW enough for sticking right by my side through TGR life

so heart warming......

nice day today

rog
    No shit. You must be exhausted all the time. Hey, what does an internet troll eat? drink? etc? Do you have to walk it?
    That's a lot to think about and even more responsibility.
    Well, maybe some day?
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by weasel1 View Post
    Speaking of the Bowl, I was up there last Sunday poking around a little face I have been staring at on the ridge above the Allen (maybe I should re-name it the Angry Allen? It does have two 45 degree rollovers, and its often icy ;-)

Turns out its a beautiful open pitch, almost 50 degrees at the top, down into open woods onto the lower Allen. Needs a touch of cleaning at the transition from the open face to the woods. I'll be up there tomorrow working on it, if anyone wants to come along.
    Easy on the exaggerations dude. I was just up there with my inclinometer and it measures 49.263 degrees.

Looks real nice - there's a couple of nice drops to the left of where I'm guessing you are thinking of clearing and if we have time, it might be worth cleaning those up as well. Not sure if it would hold snow but.....

Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Top of my bucket list - having my own theme song.

Second - a personal troll on TGR.

I've got a long way to go baby....
    I gots this

and a personal troll.

Keep up the good work you are doing in other threads and it won't be long. Maybe by Festivus?

[youtube]
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Forgots to congrat Rog on teh new shack. Congrats. The mile walk is just enough to stretch out and warm up.

For ol' greybeard [insert ski]

www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

thanx vt free! ya, one mile, fml. i'll be in the water 300 fucking days a year living that close. that beach always seems to have waves and low to no crowds too. my gal is super stoked too, her 1st home. she'll have her very own yoga room and plenty of storage for her surf, ski, and bike stuff. the doggie will be stoked about the wood stove

lynchy! buy a surfboard already! the home break has been going off for 4 days in a row and it looks to continue for a solid 7 more or more. k and i will be out both sunday and monday as she declared she wants our days off this week to be surf days. woot!!!

hey POW! ;-*

rogblog

Easy on the exaggerations dude. I was just up there with my inclinometer and it measures 49.263 degrees.

Looks real nice - there's a couple of nice drops to the left of where I'm guessing you are thinking of clearing and if we have time, it might be worth cleaning those up as well. Not sure if it would hold snow but.....
    Why yes, that's it exactly, thanks.... You dig the J-shaped entry birch where the drop-in is? A nice little touch, I thought. Nothing like starting on a log to liven a line up a bit.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Listening to the radio and this came on, too good to not share

Stoked to crush at the bowl. New lines are always fun.
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    I gots this

and a personal troll.

Keep up the good work you are doing in other threads and it won't be long. Maybe by Festivus?

[youtube]
    Trying to get that shit dialed in; Festivus is the hoped for scenario but I do not want to get too far ahead of my own little self.

Hoping for a big year in the Breadloaf. Lots of interesting places have already been thinned to this untrained eye - thinking we might be able to make it better yet with a couple days of work.

Hoping for a big year in the Breadloaf. Lots of interesting places have already been thinned to this untrained eye - thinking we might be able to make it better yet with a couple days of work.
    For sure. After all, there is still this to knock down.
    "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."- Alan Greenspan

Hey Rog - congrats on the new place. I hope you've already got an extra bedroom or plans for an addition for POW - that way you can feed your trolls right in the comfort of your own home.

That's a lovely accent you have, New Jersey?
    Anyone need the other half of a 2for1 today. I'm about an hour or so from Killy.

OK. So I've skiied in the Loaf in the past. Never had to do any work becasue there is so much natural skiiable stuff. It's a great area. Do you really have to advertise illegal cutting in national forrest in here? What's the point? Absolutely no good can come from it. Just go do it. Quietly. I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but for the sake of BC skiiers everywhere in VT, the last thing we need is to post on the internet about how we are going into the national forrest and cutting ski lines, with maps to them. You wanna see the federal land managers take some serious action in a hurry. Keep that up. We are allready on the radar with the Big J debacle and all the activity in the notch.
    $.02

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    OK. So I've skiied in the Loaf in the past. Never had to do any work becasue there is so much natural skiiable stuff. It's a great area. Do you really have to advertise illegal cutting in national forrest in here? What's the point? Absolutely no good can come from it. Just go do it. Quietly. I'm really not trying to be a dick here, but for the sake of BC skiiers everywhere in VT, the last thing we need is to post on the internet about how we are going into the national forrest and cutting ski lines, with maps to them. You wanna see the federal land managers take some serious action in a hurry. Keep that up. We are allready on the radar with the Big J debacle and all the activity in the notch.
    $.02
    Appreciate the sentiment, DVT, but you jumped the gun here. We are talking about sanctioned work on private land at the Snow Bowl. In the Breadloaf Wilderness there's plenty of great, open terrain to hit, and being Wilderness, we would not be cleaning in there. This is private land trail work. And thanks for comparing us to the Big J idiots. Made my morning.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    Hey Rog - congrats on the new place. I hope you've already got an extra bedroom or plans for an addition for POW - that way you can feed your trolls right in the comfort of your own home.
    Trolls sleep outside. My wife has one because she is way cooler than me. She makes me feed it.

I agree with Dave VT to a point. Certainly no need to post it here. However . . .

I read here last year that VT was encouraging the expansion of bc cutting or something to that effect. This effort in the Breadloaf part of that? Just curious. Edit - just saw your post weasel. Does anyone remember that discussion?

And for the record I do not encourage bc cutting but if you are so inclined please do not be an idiot (like the Big J morons). Do some reading on silviculture and maybe take some stuff from dendrology, northeast hardwood forest management, and for god's sake stay out of alpine zones and important watershed areas. Do not be a selfish idiot.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silviculture

Certainly can't beat this one http://palspublishing.cals.cornell.e...knum=nraes-126

If anything it will only enhance your bc experience and the importance of doing the right thing out there.
    Last edited by lynchdogger; 11-17-2012 at 07:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Trolls sleep outside. My wife has one because she is way cooler than me. She makes me feed it.

I agree with Dave VT to a point. Certainly no need to post it here. However . . .

I read here last year that VT was encouraging the expansion of bc cutting or something to that effect. This effort in the Breadloaf part of that? Just curious.
    See my response above. Yes, this is area-sanctioned, and is part of their forest management plan. There are roolz, etc. to follow. No power tools, certain areas and vegetation only, pile construction for habitat, etc... We're not talking Thneeds here, people.

As for encouraging BC cutting, there is a program for that, but it has specific requirements, and must be part of a management plan. For example, Bolton cleaned 80+ acres of sidecountry woods off the Timberline area as part of the program, getting tax credits for supporting old growth forest and also, handily, making for some nice meadow-skipping woods terrain. But that doesn't mean that folks can or should go out chopping up the GMNF for BC ski use thinking it's "good for the forest". Nor would I ever advocate such silliness.

See my response above. Yes, this is area-sanctioned, and is part of their forest management plan. There are roolz, etc. to follow. No power tools, certain areas and vegetation only, pile construction for habitat, etc... We're not talking Thneeds here, people.
    I saw the area outlined near the ski area and figured that was legal work. Also saw the gully circled on the other map. Clearly not near the snowboul, an obvious line visable for miles around in the natioanl forrest land according to maps. This also a sanctioned project? just curious as I have eyed it for years. Appologize for jumping to conclusions...didn't see where anyone mentioned getting permission to cut here previously in the conversation.

I'd also be curious to see where VT ANR was encouraging any new back country ski line cutting in state forrest, or the feds were encouraging cutting in GMNF, breadloaf is not state managed land, it's federal.

I saw the area outlined near the ski area and figured that was legal work. Also saw the gully circled on the other map. Clearly not near the snowboul, an obvious line visable for miles around in the natioanl forrest land according to maps. This also a sanctioned project? just curious as I have eyed it for years. Appologize for jumping to conclusions...didn't see where anyone mentioned getting permission to cut here previously in the conversation.
    The Buttcrack isn't in the Breadloaf Wilderness, but is GMNF land, and no one I know of is planning on cutting in there. Bottle's comment on thinning work being apparent was related to his jaunt up to the Snow Bowl. No one is advocating such work elsewhere.

For sure. After all, there is still this to knock down.
    and so this..in response to "lets put in a couple more days of work" seems like folks are talking about working in the crack here. No reason to post up maps of federal land with talk about going up and "kncking shit down" is my point. Glad to hear this is not the intention. Might wanna just delete that one as it sure sounds like that is the plan.
    Last edited by DaveVt; 11-17-2012 at 08:09 AM.

As for encouraging BC cutting, there is a program for that, but it has specific requirements, and must be part of a management plan. For example, Bolton cleaned 80+ acres of sidecountry woods off the Timberline area as part of the program, getting tax credits for supporting old growth forest and also, handily, making for some nice meadow-skipping woods terrain. But that doesn't mean that folks can or should go out chopping up the GMNF for BC ski use thinking it's "good for the forest". Nor would I ever advocate such silliness.
    You have any links to this for those of us who like to read? In the future I am looking to get involved here in NH to encourage the same. Thanks. PM info to if you prefer.

and so this..seems like folks are talking about working in the crack here. No reason to post up maps of federal land with talk about going up and "kncking shit down" is my point. Glad to hear this is not the intention. Might wanna just delete that one as it sure sounds like that is the plan.
    Sorry, by "knock down" I was meaning it is a goal post line I have been aiming at skiing for a few years. I was responding to his hope for a good year to ski BC. Apparently, I need to be more careful about my word choice, so people won't assume I am a chainsaw-toting climate-change denier.

Lynch, there was a write up on Bolton's effort a couple years ago that described the program. I'll look for it and send it along.
    Last edited by weasel1; 11-17-2012 at 08:24 AM.

There's Jay Appleton's site as well. Click on the forestry link.
    www.treeskier.com

breadloaf? sweet! i'm gonna have to go check it out!! thanx!!!

how do i get to vermont?

my troll is a weekend warrior cubicle bitch. POW isn't allowed to troll on weekends........

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    breadloaf? sweet! i'm gonna have to go check it out!! thanx!!!

how do i get to vermont?

my troll is a weekend warrior cubicle bitch. POW isn't allowed to troll on weekends........

rog
    The loaf is huge. Basically the spine south of Licoln Gap, North of Midd gap. Not giving anything away by saying go ski in the loaf. It's like saying go ski on Mansfield.