Page 44 of 419 FirstFirst ... 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 ... LastLast
Results 1,076 to 1,100 of 10468
    Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    maybe headed to da seacost thurs/fri
    lemeno if you venture this way. thursday am is possible for me if winds are good. friday looks good with good winds and i'm free till almost noon.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by crank54 View Post
    I'm racing cross in Northampton this weekend [...]
    Fun to see our Look Park transformed for/by all your racers -- I love how they bring you almost to a dead stop immediately before that one steep little hill ... torture!

Quote Originally Posted by LongShortLong View Post
    Left coaster chiming in... 2-3 feet of fresh should never be wasted. As soon as those winds go down a notch, you folks better be bringing the stoke. When the people are suffering, it's skiers and riders who provide a few rays of happiness - turning nasty storms into sweet lemonade.
    Amen brother!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Multiglisse View Post
    Let me help out. I believe what you are trying to say is that you are torn between a) the lust for early season turns, b) the natural (and highly reasonable) desire to ensure the safety of your family and property, c) a reluctance to drive through one shitstorm into a potentially more dangerous one, d) facing the reality that you will be entering someone else's disaster area for the selfish purpose of recreation and, finally, e) putting yourself in harm's way and possibly adding to the burden of the emergency services folks in WV.
    This is actually a good checklist:
    a) Check!
    b) Check -- nothing much happened here. The storm last only a few hours yesterday afternoon, and lost power for about half an hour. Sunny and calm right nw.
    c) First part, no longer a problem, especially if I first spent the night at my mother's house in Binghamton NY to break up the drive a bit, since the radar map is quite clear out to there.
    c) Second part, plus d) & e), 32 is closed, and with the blizzard conditions today, sounds like late Wednesday will be the earliest access to any of the three ski areas there.

If progress sounds promising on Wednesday, then my plan is to do part of the drive on Wednesday, then finish up Thursday morning and ski Thursday afternoon, and Friday also. Saturday too if it's still good. Would definitely be interested in carpooling. (I have a Subaru Legacy sedan, although I probably will not put on the snow tires at this time, but I could be persuaded otherwise.)

Probably everyone has already noticed this already, but more beta here:
    http://www.tetongravity.com/forums/s...antic-Rollcall
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

super calm today. the city's infrastructure is fucked though- no idea when tunnels and subways are going to be back online. glad i moved out of my old office in dumbo right below the manhattan bridge, whole neighborhood was under a few feet of water. electrical substation explosions and 1M people without electricity right now but brooklyn made it through better- hardly any rain though, def weird. NJ coast is however totally fucked, think snookie can swim?

Water and electricity aren't the best of friends. They don't play we'll together, that's what they tell us in school anyway! That sucks, it's like lil Venezia down there. Vibes to all without power. We're still goin strong up here, Xbox kept me entertained all night. If snooki can't swim she'll have no problem floating!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351618276.092291.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	146.2 KB 
ID:	124235

Out window of my apartment.

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post
    Water and electricity aren't the best of friends. They don't play we'll together, that's what they tell us in school anyway! That sucks, it's like lil Venezia down there. Vibes to all without power. We're still goin strong up here, Xbox kept me entertained all night. If snooki can't swim she'll have no problem floating!
    The hot topic right now is "mechanical rooms". Almost every building with standing water outside now needs new / repaired elevators, switch gears, motor control centers, transformers, etc. A 13kva switch is about $250k installed. Those big apartment and office buildings may have a dozen switches, nevermind the rest. $10 bil of insurable losses (not NFIP) is the early projection.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by neufox47 View Post
    The hot topic right now is "mechanical rooms". Almost every building with standing water outside now needs new / repaired elevators, switch gears, motor control centers, transformers, etc. A 13kva switch is about $250k installed. Those big apartment and office buildings may have a dozen switches, nevermind the rest. $10 bil of insurable losses (not NFIP) is the early projection.

Yeah that's pretty much where my head has been at. Not to mention the subway system being down and now needing an insane amount of dredging and repair too. Who even knows how many cars are jammed up down there with the trains and caked in silt sludge and garbage... Going to be a long time before NYC is up and running smoothly again. Lots and lots and lots and lots of shit going on below the surface of the streets, and now it's anyone's guess what needs to be replaced. Ouch.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

$10 bil of insurable losses (not NFIP) is the early projection.
    Just a few bucks more than what it costs to rake the leaves off buttah's lawn then?

Vibes to those dealing with the chaos.
    The Passion is in the Risk

Major vibes to all affected by that bitch Sandy.. VT seems to have been mostly spared, thank god!

I'm helping out a friend with some promo for TGR East Coast events. Any Mags close to Albany, NY should check out the Dream Factory/ Further double header this Friday November 2nd.

Here's a link to the Albany show: http://www.theegg.org/events/1122
    & a link to the FB event if your so inclined: https://www.facebook.com/events/513941641967591/

I will be checking out the shows at Higher Ground in Burlington, VT over the next few weeks, doing some grassroots rep work for Powder Jet Snowboards and Grassroots Pow surf. There are rumors of a raffle at the 11/14 Further event that involves a brand new, made in VT, PowderJet!
    Dream Factory 11/7 http://higherground.frontgatetickets...3738&eid=83243
    Further 11/14 http://higherground.frontgatetickets...3739&eid=83244

Hope to see some folks, PM me if your coming and lets meet up for a drink after!

Wow. Aerial video from the NJ National Guard flying over Seaside Heights (jersey shore).
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=423570577698924
    and
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=423537294368919

(Shouldn't have to login to view)

NPR just reported that estimated damages are up to $50 billion. Not sure that I buy it, but holy shit.

NPR just reported that estimated damages are up to $50 billion. Not sure that I buy it, but holy shit.

Easy. There is a LOT of expensive real-estate that is destroyed, the storm was huge and it is still ongoing.

Quote Originally Posted by nfaust View Post
    Wow. Aerial video from the NJ National Guard flying over Seaside Heights (jersey shore).
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=423570577698924
    and
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=423537294368919

(Shouldn't have to login to view)
    Holy $hit that is nuts...

Does anyone have some LARGE Dukes or Barons for sale?
    My buddy wants a pair.

They should probably be in decent condition. Going on some brandy new skis of his. Price range probably ~$200, maybe up to $250?

Game on:
    http://forum.nyskiblog.com/Timberlin...td4020638.html
    I'll be driving down (at least part of the way...) tomorrow (Wednesday) for anyone interested in carpooling, although no skiing until Thursday.
    Probably returning part of the way Saturday, then finishing the drive home Sunday morning.
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Bump to keep off page 2
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

hope everybody who received the brunt of the storm is doing ok.

the pics here are startling and quite upsetting...it's bizarre seeing so many places i recognize under many feet of water...to say nothing of the folks in queens whose neighborhoods burnt down.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-NOT-over.html

on a lighter note wishing jonathan and all other hearty roadtrippers an easy journey and some great pow turns...and of course, time to take some pics for the rest of us

In the car with Jonathan S in Scranton en route. Plan to hit Timberline tomorrow.

That's the biggest problem that I see. It would take 2-3 days to pump out the water; another day or two to assess the damage and then 2-3 weeks or more to repair. No electricity = no water = no heat. Also no elevators for those that live on floor 10 or up. This may realistically last until Thanksgiving.

In the car with Jonathan S in Scranton en route. Plan to hit Timberline tomorrow.
    hey you there already?

In Pittsburgh.

myu number is 412-334-9121 Heading down to Timberline around noon. what are you guys plans?

Quote Originally Posted by BGSTi_403 View Post
    That's the biggest problem that I see. It would take 2-3 days to pump out the water; another day or two to assess the damage and then 2-3 weeks or more to repair. No electricity = no water = no heat. Also no elevators for those that live on floor 10 or up. This may realistically last until Thanksgiving.
    Thanksgiving?!?! You're an optimist heh? Christmas would be an awesome timetable if all mechanicals are soaked IMO. If its seawater its even worse. If this was an isolated incident, maybe but there aren't going to be enough remediation contractors, diagnostic technicians, electricians, and contractors to go around. When nothing was going on, I was involved in a loss in a large mechanical room that had a couple feet of water flood it. It took two weeks to clean and dry it, three weeks to test the electrical equipment to diagnose damage and three months to replace all the components.

Anyone know of any females who ski the CRJs? GF pretty much only likes skiing the trees, mostly in N VT. Any thoughts, specifically for an advanced female on 164s?

Last edited by neufox47; 11-01-2012 at 12:24 PM.

Not pitching a pants tent yet, but the GFS and Euro are producing what looks like another tropical/cold front storm next Thursday. This one puts the snowy side in New England. I know... I just totally jinxed us.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Been a crazy week. Nothing happened in Albany but my daughter lives in Astoria...she used to live a block and a half from NYU Hospital and her apartment was below ground level...so glad she moved. She didn't even lose power.

Been organizing relief help. Have an emergency communications team already deployed to Newark and sending out a couple more folks to augment FEMA tomorrow or Saturday. Problem is, there's no place to live down there and it's getting cold. Sleeping bags in the back of the truck gets old after a couple of days when there's no pow days when you wake up.