Page 209 of 419 FirstFirst ... 204 205 206 207 208 209 210 211 212 213 214 ... LastLast
Results 5,201 to 5,225 of 10468
    If this was my actual job to do this, I would be using Google Sketch Up to build a nice lift (and other buildings) rather than boring blocks and lines.
    Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.
    http://tim-kirchoff.pixels.com/

Quote Originally Posted by vt_ski View Post
    Really? Sweet, does this mean no more surf updates?
    maybe

actually i intend to increase my sliding on white time once winter #6 gets going.....

then you'll hear plenty

rog

Quote Originally Posted by From_the_NEK View Post
    This just in...
    Jay Peaks plans for the Doppelmayr "Power Line" HS6 lift and removal of the Bonneventure quad have been released on the Act 250 site. The new HS6 will have 19 towers and two terminals.

Overlaid in Google Earth:

The Power Line lift will run up the Powerline trail and end under the Face Chute.

The yet to be built Stateside Lodge/Hotel is the brown building. The green building is the chair storage barn. The current Stateside lodge (to be town down) is visible in the aerial imagery under the far end of the new lodge. The Bonneventure chair base terminal is under the near side of the new lodge.

From the Sky House:

Roughly the view from the Tram as it passes over. The bank cut between the Face Chute and the lift terminal is going to be pretty substantial, like 30-36 feet tall (the dark area behind the terminal is created by 18 tighly spaced 2ft contours on the plan):

From the Bonneventure terminal:

What is this, a ski resort for ANTS?

It's going to have to be at least... a milliondy times bigger than this if we're gonna be sending & bending on it bro.
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    not enough nun fisters in that community

sucker! it's only Winter #4 up here !

Buddies are headed to NS for surf this weekend.. Almost went but i don't think my old 5/3 (or out of shape arms) could handle it.

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    maybe

actually i intend to increase my sliding on white time once winter #6 gets going.....

then you'll hear plenty

rog

The runout from the Face Chute is going to be screwed by this lift terminal.
    30 second photoshop...

Aim for the chopping block. If you aim for the wood, you will have nothing. Aim past the wood, aim through the wood.

Not top of page but driving home made me think this tune was appropriate tonight

The runout from the Face Chute is going to be screwed by this lift terminal.
    30 second photoshop...

so that will give you access to beaver etc or not that high?

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy
    ... my mother painted this of Tuckerman Ravine back in the 70's and I have it in our cabin:

pretty sensual...Lynch and I agree re: Georgia Okeefe
    prints could do well

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    If anyone's interested, I hear a woman with experience in diplomacy from Chappaqua, NY is available as of today. Maybe forum moderator?
    dunno if ''what difference does it make" Hillary can handle this..

hopefully the touchy feely stuff is done with though

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post

You can get to the Beaver.
    Have to cut down and across Alligator Alley and hook up with Wedelmaster.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    Access to beaver being the optimum and critical issue here . . .
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Access to beaver being the optimum and critical issue here . . .
    excited yet nervous about the new changes up there. I saw some pics were posted of the west bowl, any info when that plan is to come into fruition?

Quote Originally Posted by PhishDaly View Post
    excited yet nervous about the new changes up there. I saw some pics were posted of the west bowl, any info when that plan is to come into fruition?
    Played golf up there one day late this fall and got chased off the course by rain, went into the clubhouse to grab some lunch waiting for storm to blow through and Bill came over to say hello and I asked him that question...he said they hope to start cutting trails this summer but were still waiting for various environmental studies to be completed before they could finalize any start date. I also asked how many rooms total they planned to have once everything was complete, the answer was 4,000 beds (including hotels, condos etc.)! I was amazed at that number and surprised they could even remotely support that many, I'm guessing the CA visitors must be a very large part of that expected clientele.

Great stuff NEK, thanks for the detail.

I like Hillary fine but she is "from" chappaqua about as much as Bill is "from" Harlem.

Is the snow piling up yet? I was hoping to get a day at Magic this weekend.
    j'ai des grands instants de lucididididididididi

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    sucker! it's only Winter #4 up here !

Buddies are headed to NS for surf this weekend.. Almost went but i don't think my old 5/3 (or out of shape arms) could handle it.
    mmmm, have yet to get up there. good weekend for it with all the activity in the ocean. hope they get favorable winds. today was too windy here. tomorrow should be fun.

even if george gets dumped on, these nuking winds and dropping temps will just blow it into evans notch. any snow will help i guess. march?

rog

Quote Originally Posted by therudeness View Post
    wow man, i'm impressed. paging Bill S

does this mean cam-am will require a little push? i guess it already does
    Plus ça change plus ça reste la même chose. The new lift will follow the same path as the old "red chair." Like back in the day when chairs were red and there was a t-bar called The Jet. Ever wonder about those concrete blocks on Powerline? Lift towers were once there and that lift let you out at the top of St. George's Prayer, just like the new lift will. From there you could easily scoot over to Ullr's or JFK or River Quai, before the runs in the woods had names and before Supertrail became Can-Am. Who cares if the Face Chutes will run out into the new lift house? Really, how many people ski those chutes, five a month?

Awesome work, FTNEK. Maybe you should release the theoretical plans for the Ullr's Bowl lift we discussed elsewhere.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

I was thinking the same as ML. Anything coming down? I wanted to hit magic this weekend and save a trip further north for an extended trip the following week. I'd hate to be a whore for the money but I don't really want to work this weekend..... Then again I can mount up my humpbacks..... First world problems. If there is a couch I can crash I will gladly trade some bacon and brews.

Quote Originally Posted by PearlJam09 View Post
    What trails are we looking at? Given that you've been in that area for a long time, what's your best guess on Castlerock for this weekend?
    0.0% chance of opening. The trails pictured are Twist/Moonshine. I would guess [unless opening for desparate trail count] all natural snow trails will be closed till 8-12" of snow[20% moisture] falls. 2 weels ago I did multiple laps on Mall and enjoyed the dodgy skiing. Last weekend rope Valley house for a look see and passed on the grass and dirt. Based on years of experience I passed on the "Rock" Tuesday as I have been watching it daily.
    Surface Whore said it best "if Mad River is closed, the Rock should be also".

13.1` and 9/16" new snow bob. Came home last night to no power, glad I had the NR charged. Winds were raging, kinda cool to relax and listen to. So well insulated I only lost 3` from 6-10:30 at 20` outside.

NmbrdDays, you can crash at my place, I am not going to ski though as I am working the next couple of weeks till it's good again.

Bundle up kids

THE FORECAST FOR MOUNT ELLEN, VERMONT AT 4,083 FT:
    LAST UPDATED AT 401 AM EST FRI FEB 01 2013

.TODAY...SUMMITS OBSCURED IN CLOUDS IN THE MORNING...THEN BECOMING
    CLOUDY. ISOLATED SNOW SHOWERS. HIGH AROUND 6 ABOVE. WEST WINDS 15 TO
    25 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 17 BELOW.
    .TONIGHT...MOSTLY CLOUDY UNTIL MIDNIGHT...THEN BECOMING PARTLY
    CLOUDY. A SLIGHT CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. LOW AROUND 7 BELOW.
    NORTHWEST WINDS AROUND 15 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 25 BELOW.
    .SATURDAY...CLOUDY IN THE MORNING...THEN SUMMITS BECOMING IN AND OUT
    OF CLOUDS. A CHANCE OF SNOW SHOWERS. HIGH AROUND 9 ABOVE. SOUTHWEST
    WINDS 15 TO 20 MPH. WIND CHILL VALUES AS LOW AS 22 BELOW.

DETAILED FORECAST DATA:

DATE FRI 02/01/13 SAT 02/02/13
    TIME (EST) 06 09 12 15 18 21 00 03 06 09 12 15 18
    TEMP (F) 7 5 5 3 2 -2 -4 -5 -3 0 3 5 8
    WIND DIR W W W W NW NW NW W W W SW SW W
    WIND SPD (MPH) 24 19 14 14 14 14 14 13 12 14 18 18 16
    SKY COVER (%) 99 OB OB 98 91 71 48 55 82 97100 IO100
    WIND CHL (F) -14-15-13-16-17-22-24-25-22-19-17-15-10
    PROP PRECIP (%) 17 23 24 24 23 20 15 6 9 29 44 42 33
    SNOW AMT (IN) 0 T T 0 0 T 1
    Last edited by Vt-Freeheel; 02-01-2013 at 06:03 AM. Reason: boing
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Quote Originally Posted by PhishDaly View Post
    To me, it seems that they have been doing it pretty "right" so far....that being said, if these proposed lifts go up before the west bowl is actually cut....something is wrong. A year and a half ago I felt I got what was the truth out of a long time jay employee....it was pretty much that funding was not yet secured for the west bowl and permits were already secured. It was relayed to me funds for hotels/base ect. were separate from west bowl expansion.

I wonder how the new lifts will effect lift lines on weekends?? More uphill capacity should theoretically make for shorter lines right??????
    A woman reported to police at 6:30 p.m. that she was being "smart-mouthed."

"Hillman’s Highway had a major slush, water, snow and muddy mix blow out that scoured the lower half of the gully back to earth and boulders."

Is it Oct.1?

"Tuckerman Ravine trail and Sherburne Ski trail: The Tuck trail from Pinkham to Hermit Lake has long stretches of water ice due to dozens of small blowouts yesterday. Crampons will be helpful and some sort of traction device like microspikes and poles will be essential. Skiing? Forget about it! Seriously."
    www.apriliaforum.com

"If the road You followed brought you to this,of what use was the road"?

"I have no idea what I am talking about but would be happy to share my biased opinions as fact on the matter. "
    Ottime

Oh hey coffee shooting out my nose, awesome!

Jesus that video got annoying quick
    "If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise." -Robert Fritz

Quote Originally Posted by Vt-Freeheel View Post
    0.0% chance of opening. The trails pictured are Twist/Moonshine. I would guess [unless opening for desparate trail count] all natural snow trails will be closed till 8-12" of snow[20% moisture] falls. 2 weels ago I did multiple laps on Mall and enjoyed the dodgy skiing. Last weekend rope Valley house for a look see and passed on the grass and dirt. Based on years of experience I passed on the "Rock" Tuesday as I have been watching it daily.
    Surface Whore said it best "if Mad River is closed, the Rock should be also".

13.1` and 9/16" new snow bob. Came home last night to no power, glad I had the NR charged. Winds were raging, kinda cool to relax and listen to. So well insulated I only lost 3` from 6-10:30 at 20` outside.

NmbrdDays, you can crash at my place, I am not going to ski though as I am working the next couple of weeks till it's good again. 1
    It doesn't sound too promising, along with the winds. I may work this weekend, I plan to head up next week and make it an extended stay. Now the wheels are turning.... Mount the humpbacks, head up next week and stick around until I can get a case of heddys...... I'm not an ipa guy though Some of you guys may be here for skiing and stoke, the beer and bacon make it all worth while!

Quote Originally Posted by NmbrdDays View Post

that looks fkna righteous nmbrd. you need to start raising your own heritage breed pork on an organic farm in VT with your own specialty smokehouse. i got the business plan all worked out for ya.

going to be up in the cats this weekend, cover be damned. might just ski on sunday- presumably platts. will be with the kiddos. gonna introduce the term "core shot" into their vocabulary. say hey.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	skicam.jpg 
Views:	131 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	131689
    getting a combo of ontario and erie lake effect in cny

Quote Originally Posted by lemmycaution View Post
    that looks fkna righteous nmbrd. you need to start raising your own heritage breed pork on an organic farm in VT with your own specialty smokehouse. i got the business plan all worked out for ya.

going to be up in the cats this weekend, cover be damned. might just ski on sunday- presumably platts. will be with the kiddos. gonna introduce the term "core shot" into their vocabulary. say hey.
    Thank man. Hmmm a pig farmer you say........ I like the ring to that. Im thinking somewhere near the valley sounds ideal. My " speciality" smoke house is in need of a serious upgrade, it may be time to re-think my career choice. It may sound blasphemous but the Canuck style bac...er... Ham is pretty money. That may be a new staple on the menu. The Italian style is just about ready to hang....