Page 171 of 419 FirstFirst ... 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 ... LastLast
Results 4,251 to 4,275 of 10468
    Quote Originally Posted by Bottleman View Post
    Who is making the death defying journey to the Mighty, Mighty tomorrow? High George is a nice get but it takes a stronger man to tame Worth Mountain

Might even consider bringing beer if any of you folks like that kind of thing.
    What with our demo day, the Worth crew shall be in attendance And IPA is good
    go Go GO!

23-24: 63. 22-23: 56. 21-22: ?. 20-21: 10+?. 19-20: 79. 18-19: 86! 17-18: 80. 16-17: 56. 15-16: 40. 14-15: 33. 13-14: 56ish. 12-13: 51. 11-12: 65. 10-11: 69. 09-10: 65.

Wonder what the over/under is for a big snow (14+") by February 1? My snow monkey senses are tingling.

Spotted on yesterday's trip up the Hill.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SnowmobileToChurch.jpg 
Views:	245 
Size:	174.6 KB 
ID:	130147

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    What are you thinking of skiing? I'd love to get back up in that area, never been in the winter.
    Not a clue. Was thinking about just booking a spot at Chimney Pond and going from there. It's not easy finding info about skiing up there.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

A TR from Rog with pics! holy Shite maybe the Mayans were a month off on that Apocalypse thingy.
    Nice pics and tour guys.

Was nice to meet you on 1/1/13 out there Swede.
    Great pics as well, almost captures the coldness of the day up high.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Awesome View Post
    I'm eager to hear what you're cooking up! I've fallen into a rut, and am just making the same few varieties over and over... I need to go beyond my comfort zone.
    I picked up the ruhlman book, charcuterie, I don't know if you have it or not. It got great reviews and came highly recommended. It's a great book and will help give you some new ideas. As for now my official lineup has become:

Bacon: regular, cinnamon maple, and Cajun.
    Pancetta
    Canadian bacon, eh you hoser
    Breakfast sausage patties

Once I get my grandfather sausage stuffer. Sopresatta, will be next. Next week is my first crack and prosciutto.

Got the call today, my mini vaca is over Back to work on mon. The new shop is going to learn the term powder days, hopefully.

Biff, vibes and get better. I've been skiing on my busted acl since 16. A good brace and some rehab and you'll be good to go. I finally milked my insurance for a new brace last winter, they have come a long way in 15 years.

Vt-free. You didn't look too "free" in those. How did it go.....? I'm out of action this week, next week I get to celebrate another year, hopefully with new precip and some heddy toppers!

Looks like I will be hitting magic tomorrow with my friend Debbie. Brown puffy, grey pants and orange dynastars. Hope to say hey and high.
    Red-i-XS

Wonderful stoke from the out of bounds. A humble reminder that there can be goodness found inbounds. My brother in a popular Tramside glade at Jay Peak on Wednesday:

With the wind filling things in, I even found lines like this yesterday. Until the posse of JPR snowboard instructors snaked my line while I was taking a leak:
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

Am I late to the party to post this?

Quote Originally Posted by tBatt View Post
    Am I late to the party to post this?

Yes. It's already on CNN.

In other news, Nelsap Classic.

Name:	buckturd.jpg 
Views:	284 
Size:	75.1 KB 
ID:	130171

Quote Originally Posted by I've seen black diamonds! View Post
    What makes TC's skinning prowess especially impressive is the fact that he built like an NFL linebacker.
    Agreed. If the ISMF devised a rando race format that including rugby-style contact between racers, any world cup field would be crushed by TC -- literally!

Quote Originally Posted by mtnwriter View Post
    What I do appreciate is that TC does not wear a skin condom. No offense, JS. If I logged 1/2 your mileage in a dress I'd be happy.
    Whoah, careful there, or else I'll be tempted to post a picture of me in my new Dynafit Movement tights!

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    TC probably produces the most stoke per mile of skinning, however...
    And both on the internet as well as in person!
    Our Nov West Virginia ski trip was fun in so many ways, but just kicking back in the apres ski at the resort dining hall (with no heat, and lit up only by a few generator-powered light bulbs and our headlamps) was all the more memorable in the company of TC's good cheer. (Yes, you other guys were great companions too, but TC just has that super-positive enthusiasm about him that is hard to match.)

In that vein, here's a picture while touring for facets with the avalanche forecaster from my recent California three-city family/work/ski trip (yes, it's Southern California, so even the avalanche forecast is a blonde, and yes, we really did seek out "interesting" snow for stability assessment practice instead of the best snow for skiing, though the little skiing I got in was still heavenly):

Name:	IMAG0332.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	130172
    Mo' skimo here: NE Rando Race Series

Not many people know, but there is skiing on 128... gotta get there early though for first chair... (8:30)!

Deep in heavy traffic:

Let's exit here:

Shouldn't we have gotten off back there?!

Wait, where's my other ski?!

Maybe only 12" @ Solitude, but it skied great all day. Met SkiFishBum and many other cool peops. The great news is the Worths work out west, too... amazingly well! Hope the Worth fest goes well and weather is good. Sorry for the non-EC stoke, but we're all EC'ers.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

Love Solitude...it's not core and the lift system can be maddening, but you can still find pow at the end of a day...unlike Altabird.

Quote Originally Posted by drewvw View Post
    Those pics definitely have me scheming at a midweek version sometime soon...
    gonna be a while till true east side summit to car is possible again with this warmup happening. doesn't take much to break up continuous full mountain schuss. which is why i wanted to nab it yesterday. maybe feb unless we get a bunch of snow before then. i'll have my people call your people

rog

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    between that pic and this quote, you sure are ghey. damn man, post some pics of your chick or something to make good on this.
    i'll show you ghey ole man

those waves woulda been way more fun on a shortboard. just sayin.......

rog

nice score bd! love solitude!

rog

Jay Peak Air Miles deal: $45

Forgot to mention this. If you show your Air Miles card you can purchase a full day ticket for $45. You don't have to use any Air Miles either, just show the card. Lots of people seemed to be taking advantage of this when I was there recently. Though there is no mention of it on the Jay site (or at least, I couldn't find any), I did get confirmation from the nice lady in the Stateside ski shop.
    "... Enjoy yourselves, keep your brain in your head and your head firmly attached to your body, the body active and alive, and I promise you this much: I promise you this one sweet victory over our enemies, over those deskbound people with their hearts in a safe deposit box and their eyes hypnotized by desk calculators. I promise you this: you will outlive the bastards." – Edward Abbey

Support Hinterlandian backcountry skiing: wwhsta.org

That was a great stoked filled trip Jon. Midnight marauding early season for that distance. Most impressive part is your the only guy I know who can track a whole mountain out by himself with no lifts spinning. I don't think crank54 knew what he was getting himself into

BD- that's not cool. High of 57 forecasted today with rain. Glad you are killing it though and putting the George's in their place. You should get dibs to take you out the highway and tour around.

Damn Rog now you are making me bummed I didn't go. Top to bottom is an awesome ride.

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    High of 57 forecasted today with rain.
    OK, I'll admit things are not looking good but they're not looking THAT bad. Talking high 30s and low 40s for what I can see. Now tomorrow...

BD- that's not cool. High of 57 forecasted today with rain. Glad you are killing it though and putting the George's in their place.
    Ha ha... probably the one (and only) time in my life I will be getting it and you won't! Sorry to hear the ugly forecast, though... why don't you guys just do it here?!

Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

skate skiing is gonna be epic today.
    anyone wanna meet me at Grafton Ponds in Grafton VT, like 10ish?
    i'll be packing OG Kush, safety first biatches!
    crab in my shoe mouth

Damn Rog now you are making me bummed I didn't go. Top to bottom is an awesome ride.
    oh pleeze. like you've really been "struggling" over in vermont

agreed on the t2b george ride. special in so many ways. hit so much great variety of terrain in one run. when they are possible i try to get as many of them as i can in different variations. summit to car via raymonds cataract is the most direct and so precious and exotic when you can get them.

gonna lose a shit ton of snow up there with hot and fog for days. will come back quick tho.

rog

from hero to zero

todays avy report:

This advisory expires at 12:00 midnight, January 12, 2013

Tuckerman Ravine has Considerable, Moderate, and Low avalanche danger today. The Lobster Claw, Right Gully, the Sluice, Lip, Center Bowl, and Chute all have Considerable avalanche danger. Natural avalanches are possible and human triggered avalanches are likely. Left Gully and Hillman’s Highway have Moderate avalanche danger. Natural avalanches are unlikely and human triggered avalanches are possible. The Lower Snowfields and Little Headwall have Low avalanche danger. Natural and human triggered avalanches are unlikely.

Huntington Ravine has Moderate avalanche danger. Natural avalanches are unlikely and human triggered avalanches are possible. The only exception to this rating is the Escape Hatch, which has Low avalanche danger. Natural and human triggered avalanches are unlikely.

The dreaded January thaw has arrived. There’s no good way to deliver this news, so here it is. The snowpack in the ravines was already on the thin side, and now it’s being eaten away further by warm temperatures and fog. Summit temperatures are expected to rise to around 40F (4.5C) today and into the upper 40’s tomorrow (7-10C). The worst part of it all is that it won’t drop back below freezing overnight. This will push the stability trend in the direction of increasing instability which will continue at least through Sunday. Expect avalanche danger to be rising in all areas today. Our forecasted ratings are where we believe snow stability will be for the better part of today; overnight and tomorrow stability will be worse.

As is often the case, the existing snowpack had a lot of spatial variability within many of the forecast areas, but there were some common features. In some locations there was a thin (approx.. 4”-8”) soft surface slab sitting on top of a very weak layer of heavily rimed crystals. This is going to be the canary in the coal mine, so to speak, as they will be the first areas that may avalanche naturally. However, in my mind this isn’t what I’d be most afraid of. It’s the deeper weaknesses in the snowpack that concern me more. Yesterday the upper layers of snow showed few signs that it would propagate a fracture and had good overall strength, but as the strength of the upper layers is broken down by warmth and liquid, the potential for deeper instabilities to be tested will rise. Also on the rise will be your ability to apply stress to these lower layers, whether it’s through deeper boot penetration or if you unfortunately find yourself tumbling downhill with your skis above your head. On a similar note, a small avalanche or wet sluff may generate enough force to step down into lower layers. Areas posted at Moderate and Low today generally have less snow than those at Considerable. Understand that stability is decreasing in these areas as well. I would not recommend venturing into Low rated areas unless you truly enjoy a thick, wet, bushwhack.

In addition to the increasing avalanche danger, you should be thinking about the difficulty of traveling off well beaten trails. Anywhere that the snow is deep will become a difficult place to walk without some kind of floatation such as a splitboard or snowshoes. It’s hard to believe that I’m bringing this up as early as January 12th, but you should also be wary of the potential for falling ice over the next two days. This could be a potential trigger or it just hurt you a lot if it were to hit you. And lastly, the Lion Head Winter Route is now open. This is a steep mountaineering route, so bring your crampons and ice axe and the knowledge of how to use them properly."

timing is everything

rog

Just a quick thaw TC. We've had much worse and usually enter the thaw with a fraction of the snowpack we have now. 37 and sunny now. Good time for a rest. Good times ahead. This two day thaw won't even be remembered in a few weeks I bet. Mountain looks good from here.