Page 147 of 419 FirstFirst ... 142 143 144 145 146 147 148 149 150 151 152 ... LastLast
Results 3,651 to 3,675 of 10468
    Quote Originally Posted by jgb@etree View Post
    Good summary - I agree. It is definitely reassuring to know that the lift will be re-inspected. I just hope it happens soon & the cost of repair & lost revenue isn't an insurmountable obstacle. Actually, other than the lost $$ from today - reopening, it's more of the lost potential revenue. Magic did the right thing by giving out vouchers, and that money is already in hand, which is a good thing. Hopefully folks who were issued vouchers enjoyed the people & their time in the bar enough to come back. It's just so frustrating to see this happen at a point where increased exposure & great natural cover met with a holiday week and a chance for Magic to really get moving with a full head of steam.
    Frustrating beyond belief. Imagine having this happen and it be your job/life/livelihood? It was a tough five years for Matt working there. The stress level was pretty high. He gained an insurmountable amount of experience while there though and helped make some really positive steps forward from where Magic was when he started his first year. Magic is a gem, we hope only the best for the place. It truly is a mountain with soul.
    ‎"Powder snow skiing is not fun. It's life, fully lived, life lived in a blaze of reality." -Dolores LaChapelle

^No doubt, SB. I can imagine.

Quote Originally Posted by buttahflake View Post
    that's not the way it works, BD.
    at some point, they should see a return on their investment.
    I know what you are saying, but I am a shareholder at MRG and I have no expectations of ever getting any financial returns. It may be stupid, but I've given to Magic on a couple occasions, just because I value and want to support what they have. The return is knowing it's there and being able to enjoy it. No one made me give or ever asked, so I don't expect anything back. Most others who "invested" probably feel the same.

During the MRG single chair campaign, people gave thousands (maybe to get their name on a tower or a chair?), but it's helping keep something alive that you value. Lots of great opinions and analysis on Magic's current troubles, but bottom line, it's a bad thing that happened to good people. I wish them the best and will definitely ski there this winter.
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!

i'll never ski at MRG, because they chose to replace a single chair with a single chair.
    again retro vibe is cool, shitty infrastructure is a completely different thing.
    MRG was beyond stoopid, replacing that lift with a single.
    crab in my shoe mouth

Quote Originally Posted by BigDaddy View Post
    ^No doubt, SB. I can imagine.

I know what you are saying, but I am a shareholder at MRG and I have no expectations of ever getting any financial returns. It may be stupid, but I've given to Magic on a couple occasions, just because I value and want to support what they have. The return is knowing it's there and being able to enjoy it. No one made me give or ever asked, so I don't expect anything back. Most others who "invested" probably feel the same.

During the MRG single chair campaign, people gave thousands (maybe to get their name on a tower or a chair?), but it's helping keep something alive that you value. Lots of great opinions and analysis on Magic's current troubles, but bottom line, it's a bad thing that happened to good people. I wish them the best and will definitely ski there this winter.
    Those people also had much more faith in MRG as a viable alternative run business, with good management and solid history. And solid finances, too.

About an hour from my home -
    A hall pass came open just as freshies fell on a modest base so I got to use these...

To go up...

And up...

to find snow boarders had beat me to it

Hey, it's all good, they went left I went right on Triska4Topia

to find untouched

Took a second hour-long lap

Back to the top for a third run which was performed poorly...but two out of three ain't bad.

Amounts to about 2000' vert
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

Quote Originally Posted by monkfish View Post
    If some sugar daddy decided to donate big $$$ to MRG I don't know if there would be a write-off since it's a cooperative, not a 501(c)3 or some such, but that's definitely a moot point at Magic.
    It's a moot point so far, but there're a number of surviving non-profit ski areas out there.

DW, i haven't skied this week, so i'm kinda twitchy.
    looks like i'll be touring in L-Derry, when i finally get a day off on Wed.
    i want that hill to thrive, and not just with hardcore flatlander maggots.
    get the families and locals hooked on that place.
    having lifts break happen's, having no backup plan, should not happen.
    it's a tough situation, fo sho.
    Worst timing ever, they could have made at least a million gross, probably moar.

I want to help Magic out too. But if I sunk $60+ into a lift ticket only to be stranded on a chair for close to an hour while the best snow in two years got tracked out below me then I'd be very averse to running the risk of paying for a broken chairlift in the future.

Preventive maintenance is very important. I don't know what sort of back up they could have had for a critical part failure on the red chair but something, ANYTHING to prevent the loss of income they must have suffered...

Stoked to hike it tho...

i'll never ski at MRG, because they chose to replace a single chair with a single chair.
    again retro vibe is cool, shitty infrastructure is a completely different thing.
    It holds the traffic to a level the average conditions can support. It was and remains an intelligent way to prolong the skiing.

The entire base area is being revamped. Some buildings are being replaced with bigger structures and others expanded. The style will be similar, but there will be a lot more room indoors.

The trails and lines will still be there, but it will be a bit easier to get a bowl of chili to go with my lunchtime Lawsons
    The sad truth is that whine does not age well

I woke up a bit after 5am to drive north from Boston to ski. Was planning on hitting Loon in NH.

I get gas near Laconia, NH and this dude at the station tells me to go to Gunstock instead. He said something about it "having good steep trails" and "60 foot tabletops"....

WTF. mountain is shyt

Anyway, doing the same tomorrow provided I'm not too hungover. Anyone have any real advice on what mountain to hit up. I'd be down to drive ~3hrs max.

Quote Originally Posted by masaraksh View Post
    I woke up a bit after 5am to drive north from Boston to ski. Was planning on hitting Loon in NH.

I get gas near Laconia, NH and this dude at the station tells me to go to Gunstock instead. He said something about it "having good steep trails" and "60 foot tabletops"....

WTF. mountain is shyt
    you musta missed my post describing the "gnar" that is gunstock a few pages back before some butthurt jong that must work there posted how awezum the place is. now who do you believe?

rog

Quote Originally Posted by GetAmped View Post
    That's just it Rog, I *am* stoked about being alive and able to ski at all. I posted here about it after skiing hard pack and death cookies the day after Christmas. I was ecstatic to be able to do 4 whole runs before I was completely spent each of the next 2 days with real snow. And I was still pretty chill when I got two runs in, the best of the season by far, the day Red broke down the first time. But yesterday I arrived at 8:30am just in time for the lift to break again. I made the best of it by talking with people in the lodge, some I had not really gotten to know very well previously. It probably would have helped my mood to be able to have a beer or a bloody Mary, but I can't drink alcohol any more because of the cancer. And while I'm cancer-free for now, the "for now" is always there. I chose to do the most aggressive radiation treatment supplemented with chemo and it did what it was supposed to: killed the tumors without (quite) killing me. But the radiation itself can cause new tumors and there's about an 15% chance that something survived the treatment and could come back in 6 months or a year. Not that I dwell on that possibility, but I'm healthy now, I want get what I can now, because I don't know if that will be true in a month or two. I guess if I didn't have any financial concerns, none of it would matter; I would just go somewhere else.

But now I'm at home, waiting for the next time I can go ski again. Stokemeter has gone to spiking into the red down to barely idling. There's a chance Hickory will open next weekend and I have a voucher I can use there. And I may be able to get out and skate this week which will also help improve my mood.

As a shareholder at Hickory, I know better than most people about bad management decisions and how difficult it is to operate a ski area with limited funds. The reliability (or lack thereof) of the pomas there really hurt them and turned a lot of people off to a place with awesome terrain and an excellent vibe. They have done a good job resolving the issues with the pomas, but are still struggling because they have been unable to make the investment in snowmaking on the lower mountain that would allow them to predictably be open and book groups for some baseline income.
    gotcha, i do wish you the best and give ya wicked props for holdin strong.

rog

Quote Originally Posted by robrox View Post
    About an hour from my home -
    A hall pass came open just as freshies fell on a modest base so I got to use these...

To go up...

And up...

to find snow boarders had beat me to it

Hey, it's all good, they went left I went right on Triska4Topia

to find untouched

Took a second hour-long lap

Back to the top for a third run which was performed poorly...but two out of three ain't bad.

Amounts to about 2000' vert
    the greater manchvegas italian open softwoods are lookin prime, rob!

way to slay!

rog

Windbuff and pow were both enjoyed in Windham County today.

Quote Originally Posted by Peruvian View Post
    Windbuff and pow were both enjoyed in Windham County today.

Windham Windbuff! Cha-ching!
    "Whenever I get a massage, I ALWAYS request a dude." -lionelhutz

"You can't shave off stupid." -lionelhutz

"I was hoping for ice." -lionelhutz

"It's simple science." -lionelhutz

Just back from a week in western NY. Had 3 mini tours there which were a blast with all the fresh snow.

Skied a location I've known about for 10 years but have never had the opportunity.

Short but steep glacial bowls. My buddy is going to take it on as a maintenance project, should be even better next year.

Anybody use those Marquette plastic tele boards? He was using them in this photo...kind of a cool setup for small hills/woods touring...

^^^ Nice Drew! Welcome home. Ready to stretch those legs on George sometime soon?

Let's motivate that old fart hippy surfer dude to put the board away and go for a tour. Rog?

Next Monday weather permitting?

Also hope my plum heel pieces will be in by then or might have to do lift serve.

Nice to be skiing again especially with such prime conditions! Keep it coming Ullr!
    The Passion is in the Risk

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Let's motivate that old fart hippy surfer dude to put the board away and go for a tour. Rog?
    no surf on the horizon for the coming days or weeks, so i'm game.

Next Monday weather permitting?
    i can do sunday/monday. things'll be good settled, stable, and firm but edgeable for good steep ski options.

Nice to be skiing again especially with such prime conditions! Keep it coming Ullr!
    nice to have snow everywhere. went for a nice slowshoe trek with the gal today. ugh, slowshoeing. at least she brought da green of da finest kind. i loved slowshoeing all of a sudden

will get out on the skinnies tomorrow around the big A. should be able to find some nice open tree shots on the 5-600 vert of the nw side. stoked that place will be just a few miles from the new house. beach one mile to the left out the drive way, and mt A just a few miles to the right. awezum......

rog

Awww...

Agamenticus...

Takes me to a far away place. Better when the horse stable was up there and before they cut the forest down and a special creature of the woods still dwelled up there. She gone now, she gone...

Quote Originally Posted by the Cock View Post
    Awww...

Agamenticus...

Takes me to a far away place. Better when the horse stable was up there and before they cut the forest down and a special creature of the woods still dwelled up there. She gone now, she gone...
    maybe, but the beaver of the wood have been very busy

rog

Beyond genius if it keeps certain folks from showing up. It's not retro if you never changed...that just makes them the original.

Rog! Happy New Year to you and the lady. Enjoy.

Next Monday is good.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

^^^^^^you too lynchy!!!!!

rog

Happy New Years eve to all you pow freaks in the ECRC - enjoy!

May we be blessed in the New Year with many more storm cycles like the last couple weeks! Pray for deep!

Please don't drink n drive tonight or any other for that matter!

Sent from my SCH-I535 using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by lynchdogger View Post
    Happy New Years eve to all you pow freaks in the ECRC - enjoy!
    Happy New Year to you too buddeh!!

Quote Originally Posted by DaveVt View Post
    Beyond genius if it keeps certain folks from showing up. It's not retro if you never changed...that just makes them the original.
    You said it better than I would have... My post would have said something about keeping away the riff-raff.

Happy New Year to you too, LD, and all you other snow crazed crazies! Hoping 2013 continues with the goods!
    Screw the net, Surf the backcountry!