Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Glen Plake Video Clip

Hey guys,

Wondering if anyone can help me. Really looking for a Plake segmant that shows him "earning his turns". I can't remember if it was a WarrenMiller vid or what. It was fairly warm weather, I think he was hiking in some sort of cowboy hat on or something, probably in Cali. Ringing any bells? Even if you just know the name of the movie?
    Not bad for someone who grew up in a cornfield

It's Warren Miller's Storm. It's a segment at Tahoe towards the end of the movie.

Yeah - that's it. Now just to find that clip anywhere other than the VHS I probably have sitting at home in a box in an unknown location. THanks bud.

This might be the one you are talking about?

Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

CLose but no cigar. THe one I'm looking for is actually a Warren Miller piece. Very well could have been some of the same footage used though.

Quote Originally Posted by zachmiller View Post
    CLose but no cigar. THe one I'm looking for is actually a Warren Miller piece. Very well could have been some of the same footage used though.
    Possibly, I don't recall seeing WM's Storm. I noticed this clip when I was about to do a blog post on Glen Plake last summer. Ended up using another clip.
    Ski Mad World
    A blog of MadPat's World: A History of Skiing Geography
    http://madpatski.wordpress.com

Looks like “dry creek” run

I think it’s on amazon prime if u have that

FWIW almost 10 years later what the OP was looking for is in WM's Storm, and it is a segment about 20 min from the end. And Storm is available on Amazon Prime, but it's not free at this time. Cheap though, just a few bucks to rent.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Plake Storm Mono Lake.JPG 
Views:	176 
Size:	712.6 KB 
ID:	363822

Plake was hiking and skiing the Eastern Sierra, above Mono Lake.

Anyone have the video clip of him smashing a dudes head with an ashtray and getting banned from Jackson.
    . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    Anyone have the video clip of him smashing a dudes head with an ashtray and getting banned from Jackson.
    Wait. What?

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

I don't know how you'd have a video of the JH incident. That was in the winter of '91.

I worked on the tram, met the guy, assisted with some photo shoot shite on the dock/box.
    As I recall, In the basement bar of the Sojourner, some schmuck was giving him shit and severely pushing his luck with Plake. So he cracks the guy upside the head with an ashtray. I'm sure there was more happening than that but it went there.
    Plake was charged but got out of any real jail time by giving a few ski camps to some local kids along with a fine.
    I think the witnesses came outta the woodwork to defend him.
    Full tilt mohican going on then too.

Quote Originally Posted by Djongo Unchained View Post
    I don't know how you'd have a video of the JH incident. That was in the winter of '91.

I worked on the tram, met the guy, assisted with some photo shoot shite on the dock/box.
    As I recall, In the basement bar of the Sojourner, some schmuck was giving him shit and severely pushing his luck with Plake. So he cracks the guy upside the head with an ashtray. I'm sure there was more happening than that but it went there.
    Plake was charged but got out of any real jail time by giving a few ski camps to some local kids along with a fine.
    I think the witnesses came outta the woodwork to defend him.
    Full tilt mohican going on then too.
    Djongo with the classic ski lore.

I suspect that the "angry-looking ‘80’s guy" with the big camcorder, mini tv, etc arrayed on and about him might have the vid, but his pic that was posted in another thread recently seems to have vanished, so he could be hard to track down.

Ah well, back on topic...

https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/...mmoth-mountain

The man does definitely still rip smooth!

Mammoth seems like such a great hill in so many ways; too bad it's so hard to get to.

Perhaps a good part of why it's so great?

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    https://unofficialnetworks.com/2021/...mmoth-mountain

The man does definitely still rip ...
    Wow! Ripping at 56! That's OLD!

Sent from my SM-G970U using TGR Forums mobile app

He had douche moments for sure back then. I mean, he was a punk! Mellowed a lot. He left shit tracks down the A0 poach that year and several old schoolers ridiculed him for it.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
    Wow! Ripping at 56! That's OLD!
    56? Old?

Birthdate of the beholder, I reckon.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw View Post
    He had douche moments for sure back then. I mean, he was a punk! Mellowed a lot. He left shit tracks down the A0 poach that year and several old schoolers ridiculed him for it.
    Let he who was not a punk when young cast the first, er, ashtray.

Anyway, Plake's the old schooler now.

Ski on, brother.

Not what OP asked for but this is my favorite Glen Plake clip

I met him once circa 2006/2007. There was a youth competition happening at Killington when I was in college, and after skiing all day I was enjoying beers with some friends and watching the action when a lanky guy walked by with bright pink hair sticking out under his beanie. I said hello and he chatted with us for just a few minutes. Seemed like a genuinely good dude. I've met several super famous people, but that was the only time I felt *star struck*.
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeStrummer
    The universe that is a vehicle is a funny and delicate thing. I fucked my wife in the back seat of our Saab in the parking lot before a Social D / Superchunk show at Red Rocks. After that the radio never worked again.

Dude LOVES skiing, and seems immortal, his presence in movies will always be entertaining.
    My favorite clip is for Australian TV (in a movie) and goes something like this: the reporter asks him what he likes to ski and he answers "I like bulletproof hardpack" scene goes to him slaying pow and the reporter says something in Australian and Plake answers "oh, waist deep pow is good too"
    what's orange and looks good on hippies?
    fire

rails are for trains
    If I had a dollar for every time capitalism was blamed for problems caused by the government I'd be a rich fat film maker in a baseball hat.

www.theguideshut.ca

Quote Originally Posted by waxman View Post
    Dude LOVES skiing, and seems immortal, his presence in movies will always be entertaining.
    My favorite clip is for Australian TV (in a movie) and goes something like this: the reporter asks him what he likes to ski and he answers "I like bulletproof hardpack" scene goes to him slaying pow and the reporter says something in Australian and Plake answers "oh, waist deep pow is good too"
    Maybe Damian Sanders aka Highway Star is his love child?
    Not many skiers “love” bulletproof bumps.
    . . .

I interviewed him on call in radio in Seattle and I asked him about what he said about snowboards in that Warren Miller clip. He did not give the answer that I expected. It kind of rings true to this day. Now inverted aerials are common and going out of bounds is marketed. But, way back when, skiers got in trouble for the things we take for granted now was the gist of his answer.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Plake is at the Bonneville Salt Flats hot rodding right now.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CSfbv5zp...dium=copy_link

Quote Originally Posted by fomofo View Post
    56? Old?

Birthdate of the beholder, I reckon.

Let he who was not a punk when young cast the first, er, ashtray.

Anyway, Plake's the old schooler now.

Ski on, brother.
    ..."if I had a magic wand"...priceless