Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

The End of an Era – Kirkwood Closes RV Park and ending All Outside Overnight Parking

Without notification or announcement, Vailwood has Closed the Kirkood RV Lot and is ending All Overnight Outside Parking on the mountain. This is to apply to customers, guests and owners.
    I learned this when my renewal request for my RV Lot Pass was pleasantly denied.
    They have decided that snow removal around the parked trucks, RV’s and all other cars is too much trouble. Personally, I thought they did a good job. Tim’s skill is amazing. And I disagree that each parked vehicle takes away three parking places.
    They also cite Security problems (I have never seen any, personally) and difficulties collecting parking fees (simply needed better procedures in place) as additional reasons to end the tradition.
    With Kirkwood located out in the middle of nowhere, our options are very limited. They suggested Jackson Rancharia or Sorensen’s… The next suggestion was to buy or lease a condo… Right.
    Of the four SnoPark’s in the area, I believe that Carson Pass is the only one that will not allow overnight parking. Iron Mountain is on the wrong side of the Spur, and Hope Valley the wrong side of the Pass. Looks like I will be staying at Meiss Meadow this year.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	03-17-12_KW RV lot.jpg 
Views:	1393 
Size:	930.2 KB 
ID:	121247

Let it Snow!

damn

Owen will be pissed!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    They suggested Jackson Rancharia or Sorensen’s… The next suggestion was to buy or lease a condo… Right.
    haha..Jackson Rancheria? That is funny.
    Waste your time, read my crap, at:
    One Gear, Two Planks

Well that is too bad. Although given the new ownership not a surprise.

Might be too much of a drive but give Todd shout at Carson River Resort down in Markleeville. I am sure he could set you up right.

I wish I could apologize for VR. They are the worst kind of moneygrubbing elitists, sitting at the helm of a former funship that was built by carpenters and barkeeps. They took down the Jolly Roger & put-up an NYSE flag a long time ago...

A great protest would be 25+ RV's cruising into the lot right before a big storm hits
    Last edited by Goatski; 09-25-2012 at 06:12 PM. Reason: spelling
    o--/\
    --/(. \
    -/ .) ' \ go with respect, get to know your mountains
    /' (. ' |'\
    ' ' .) ' ,'

^^^^ I was gonna say, and this surprises you why? It's vail resorts, pretty soon there will be a brand fucking new gondola leading from parking area to base to boost the value of surrounding resort owned properties...

So that Gondi would be ten feet long?

Anyway. Not surprise but it is a bummer. The RV lot is only a few years old. Before that it was free at Red Cliffs. Lots will change.

Is the Hostel still there? They might let you park out front for a fee. Or just get a bunk for $25. That is cheaper than a site at the Rancheria, but sorry, no buffet dinner.

Twas one of my fav things about Kirkwood and as soon as I heard the news I knew it would be the first to go.... fuck Vail

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using TGR Forums

Welcome to the Vail Resort Family
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Quote Originally Posted by Goatski View Post
    They took down the Jolly Roger & put-up an NYSE flag a long time ago...
    Stock was up 11% at one point today. I suppose all that open parking and new overnite guests will juice earnings.

http://www.marketwatch.com/investing/stock/mtn

Just sent my complaint via email to marketing. It is tough to plow when all you have is a 1964 loader with an old Union Pacific blower hooked to the front of it. At least we got new safety bars on all of our antique chairlifts. Pretty sure this was last year of the Network Passes as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatski View Post
    They are the worst kind of moneygrubbing elitists, sitting at the helm of a former funship that was built by carpenters and barkeeps. They took down the Jolly Roger & put-up an NYSE flag a long time ago...
    Funship it was...OMG, did we have fun.

I am almost surprised VR didn't just raise rates by 200% year over year until no one returned. They must be planning a location for the next starbucks. Guaranteed there will be WIFI in the old RV lot.

saw that coming... they don't want that type of riff raff at Vail West

If Vail really cared about your rv problems they might have thought to put in actual rv pads with electric & sewer hookups. Then they could actually charge a ridiculously high price for overnight camping & even maybe make a little money in the summer also.

Vail has no SOUL!

Sent from my DROID4 using TGR Forums
    Snow Flake Killer

So what happens when i take my rv up for the day & randomly get stuck there when both passes close? Mmmmmm just an idea

Sent from my DROID4 using TGR Forums
    Snow Flake Killer

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    So that Gondi would be ten feet long?

Anyway. Not surprise but it is a bummer. The RV lot is only a few years old. Before that it was free at Red Cliffs. Lots will change.

Is the Hostel still there? They might let you park out front for a fee. Or just get a bunk for $25. That is cheaper than a site at the Rancheria, but sorry, no buffet dinner.
    Not literally a gondola. It was just a reference. Should've been more clear... Just saying vail will do ridiculous things if they think it'll raise revenue.

This is not suprising at all, and in fact I though it had already happened.

Quote Originally Posted by cat in january View Post
    Might be too much of a drive but give Todd shout at Carson River Resort down in Markleeville. I am sure he could set you up right.
    That guy is a hoot. I have partied with him many times at the cut throat saloon. What did it's name get changed to?
    Anyway. Unless the pass is closed, Markleeville is an easier drive than Southshore and Carson river resort is a cool spot.

I'm totally shocked... or not. VailWood. Next thing you know they'll frown upon smoking weed on the lifts or something.

I heard a guy threw a roach down in the kw parking lot once.
    Dude walking by said "Hey, mind if I finish that?"
    Guy who threw it down said, "Sure, go ahead."
    Dude arrests him.

splat ... please tell us thats not true!

Yeah, it was like seven or eight years ago, when Alpine County suddenly got funded for way too many cops. Shit, I was in the old general store (where cornice sports was until last year) one morning getting coffee and there was like five cops peeking out the windows, talking about dudes that walked by, wondering if they should go shake them down. I called it the nazification of kirkwood. Ever since the Beaver ended, it's been going downhill at a runaway pace.

Quote Originally Posted by powdrhound View Post
    Without notification or announcement, Vailwood has Closed the Kirkood RV Lot and is ending All Overnight Outside Parking on the mountain. This is to apply to customers, guests and owners.
    Really? How are the condos and ski leases that sleep 8-10 and have one covered spot going to work? Tell me it isn't so... I am looking forward to another nice winter for stress relief. Fortunately, I haven't leased a condo yet.

Dunno the security problems with RVs. I'd think having a few responsible folks in the parking lots would help with security (keep people like me from 'practicing' snow driving). I did hear of a ham getting stolen from a crock pot that was left out, but suspect the coyotes did that.

On a same same but different note, just got word that network passes are disappearing on October 5, like a virgin on prom night.

Fuck Vail in the fucking ass!

Oh wait.... If alleviates the shitshow lines common during this past season's weekends and even weekday powder days then I'm all for jacking up pass prices
    Last edited by Superstar Punani; 09-25-2012 at 11:56 PM.

to be fair (to the old kirkwood), when they found out that Alpine County was going to to drug/dui stops on hwy 88 on the way to the wood they put their foot down and said "Not with our tax dollars you aren't!" and the problem went away.

The new Vailwood sucks. I feel as though I might not be able to roll in at 10 and park under chair 6 this year. I might quit skiing.
    powdork.com - new and improved, with 20% more dork.