What to see and do Frankfurt to Prague 6/30-7/15/2013?

Well, finally accumulated enough skymiles to fly to Europe in business class next summer. Found a good deal flying into Frankfurt and then out of Prague two weeks later. So with those spots in mind, what should I try and work into the vacation that Mrs L2S will like? Seems easy enough to get to Prague from Frankfurt. Any cool stuff in the Frankfurt zone we must see? Will likely buy a railpass, as I don't want to drive. My attention span is normally good for about 2-3 days in any one spot, so how should I link the stops together? I was thinking maybe take the train north through Cologne to Amsterdam and try and score a cheap flight over to Prague. What do you think? Should I head east and see other cities on the way to Prague?
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

#1: Get the fuck outta Frankfurt. Hop on the ICE and head to Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, or Cologne. Make it up from there.

FWIW I've done that drive and it was pretty fun. We drove south from Cologne through Frankfurt and down through the black forest and into Austria. Then back north to prague. Great way to see all sorts of different shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Tippster View Post
    #1: Get the fuck outta Frankfurt. Hop on the ICE and head to Munich, Hamburg, Berlin, or Cologne. Make it up from there.
    +1 on getting the hell out of Frankfurt. That place is the suck. A-Dam's an easy train ride from there too.

do the boat ride thing up/down the Rhine!!! Cool little burgs - wine country for the mrs. - castle tours & good countryside eats!
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Stayed at the Augustine in Prague last year. It was amazingly awesome. 16th Century monastery converted to a boutique hotel by Rocco Forte. Centrally located but not in the tourist shit show - in fact unless you knew what was behind the walls, it'd be easy to miss it. Gorgeous grounds, and good food. The suites are enormous too.

http://www.theaugustine.com/

www.jetsetter.com runs deals on this property and two others in Prague fairly regularly. Check it out. If you're not familiar with jetsetter it's the travel sister website of Gilt, both of which are run by Conde Nast - high end hotels and properties with good deals. Worth a look.

Not sure what your palate is like but if you want an absolute dynamite meal check out La Degustation Boheme Bourgeoise. It's 2 different 6 course tasting menus; one is more continental European and the other is a modern adaptation on a Czech cookbook found that is I think about 200 years old. Wine pairings are awesome too. Try Czech wines, you'll be pleasantly surprised.

We saw La Degustation on an episode of Bourdain's No Reservations and it lived up to the hype. Very small, very knowledgeable staff - both on food and wine. Get a table by the open kitchen to really enjoy it. I believe they are Prague's only Michelin starred restaurant. (or were last year)

Another great place to eat that is very traditional is U Modre Kachnicky. Get the duck, it's what everyone goes there for, and it's amazing. Wife got the tableside flambe'd venison backstrap which was tasty too. Nice small restaurant that's been there for years. Again, try Czech wine here, you'll be happy.

http://www.umodrekachnicky.cz/en/original/welcome

Nice lunch spot along the river away from the tourist crowds is Cafe Savoy http://www.ambi.cz/ambi_cafesavoy_kontakt_eng.php

French styled bistro, with lots of Czech dishes and pastries. Cool spot.

For the best beer roasted Czech pork knuckle with cabbage and potatoes and a large Pilsner hit up Malostranka Beseda by St. Nicholas' church. I cannot stress how good this pork knuckle is.

malostranska-beseda.cz‎

If you like good cocktails check out Bar and Books, the sister location to the Manhattan one. Very knowledgeable bartenders and fantastic cocktails. Cool interior too. It's tucked down a back alley behind the main square.

barandbooks.cz

Have a great trip!
    I still call it The Jake.

^^^^BmillsSkier, that is great stuff. Thanks mang
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    ^^^^BmillsSkier, that is great stuff. Thanks mang
    No problem, if I think of anything else, I'll edit my previous post. Have fun planning!

Oh, and if you want to see what La Degustation and Cafe Savoy look like check out Bourdain's travel logs here: http://www.travelchannel.com/tv-show...pisodes/prague
    I still call it The Jake.

Prague:
    The Strahov Monastery Brewery on the Prague Castle grounds is a must.
    -Fantastic beers and great food

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...e_Bohemia.html

Watching a football (soccer) match would also be a blast, don't wear the wrong color though...

Propoganda is a cool club in Prague, it's an old bunker and has a cold war theme (also Absinthe must be consumed)

For a day trip out of Prague: Kutna Hora is a short train ride from Prague (<1hr). It has a beautiful cathedral and the Ossuary (Bone Church), something very different.

Consider travelling south to Bavaria first (Berchtesgaden is great, Eagle's Nest! Alps!) then across to Salzburg and up through Cesky Krumlov (beautiful fairy tale town) as you head to Prague.

For Prague check out the John Lennon Grafitti wall. We found an awesome cafe right around the corner that served great farm:table cuisine and reasonable champaign. Also the Young Art Museum is really cool, as are the touristy things in Prague (Charles Bridge, the Castle, etc.)

Also you must see the old Jewish Cemetary in Prague. Sure it's overrun by Tourists, but damn - it's amazing.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	prague-jew-cemetery-77.4.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	271.1 KB 
ID:	121166