Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Big Steve - what do you think about remote canister stoves with a generator (preheat) tube? In theory you can use those by inverting the canister so fuel comes out even if pressure is low. MSR now officially acknowledges this and sells their Windpro with a little stand for it.
    Be careful with this. Stay near your stove and don't try it in a tent.

I have a windpro knockoff I bought in South America years ago and I tried inverting the canister and within a minute or so got a 3 foot tall roaring orange flame coming out of the stove. That would be a major issue inside a nylon tent.

I would feel better using this method on a stove I know was specifically designed to be used this way, like the Jetboil (model name escapes me right now)... which I haven't used so take that FWIW.
    Goal: ski in the 2018/19 season

well, she's off for another backpacking trip with the replacement stove - she fired it up and boiled a pot of water last night in the garage without blowing it up, so I think everything's going to be ok

I hope
    Last edited by ~mikey b; 09-05-2013 at 11:32 PM.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Just read through this thread. Last comment was amusing.

Not that surprising, but glad to read that MSR warranty/CS is really solid.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernest_Hemingway View Post
    I realize there is not much hope for a bullfighting forum. I understand that most of you would prefer to discuss the ingredients of jacket fabrics than the ingredients of a brave man. I know nothing of the former. But the latter is made of courage, and skill, and grace in the presence of the possibility of death. If someone could make a jacket of those three things it would no doubt be the most popular and prized item in all of your closets.

I have been using canisters for a while, so I am not up to date on LF fuel systems. Are any of the new bottles steel? They would be stronger and not transmit heat as well as aluminum. There is a weight penalty though I suppose.

Mike, maybe you should get her a canister stove?

I think steel fuel bottles for liquid stoves would be unpleasantly heavy. Steel is stronger than aluminum, so you can make parts thinner to lose some of the weight, but as you can see from Mike's picture earlier in the thread, the aluminum bottles are already very thin. If you make a steel bottle very thin walled it buckles easily. Steel canisters for gas stoves are sturdy, but they don't have much volume. Make them larger to match a 22 oz MSR liquid bottle, and they'd get thicker and heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by coldfeet View Post
    Mike, maybe you should get her a canister stove?

I think steel fuel bottles for liquid stoves would be unpleasantly heavy. Steel is stronger than aluminum, so you can make parts thinner to lose some of the weight, but as you can see from Mike's picture earlier in the thread, the aluminum bottles are already very thin. If you make a steel bottle very thin walled it buckles easily. Steel canisters for gas stoves are sturdy, but they don't have much volume. Make them larger to match a 22 oz MSR liquid bottle, and they'd get thicker and heavier.
    I don't know if they would be that much worse than the stainless water bottles which became so popular after the BPA plastic bottle scare.

Bump cuz I just got yelled at 5 years later for suggesting that was operator error.

BOOM!
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.