Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Bobby Stainless View Post
    Husk. Never been to the one there, but the one in Nashville is great.

3 month minimum waiting list at the one in Charleston. We were told it was a better bet to try to sit at the bar for lunch. We made it low priority. Figured if it worked out, fine. If not, so be it. They have one in Savannah too. I'll try it out one day. I have only heard great things. They may even serve oysters too, but I doubt they let you rake them first.

I don’t know if your disdain for southern history extends to American history as well, but Ft Sumter has a lot of it. First shots fired in the Civil War.

It’s a good example of how NOT to prepare a coastal defense fort. The union troops were under supplied, and didn’t even have fuses for their cannon balls, so they couldn’t fire exploding balls back at the rebels, only solid balls.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    Thanks.

I might sound like a yankee douche.
    Yes, yes you do. Right now its hot and oystering goes until about May.
    Try Hall's ChopHouse. Good food

Charleston, SC scoops?

Bump, can’t get into Husk, we have a kid less date set up... any recs?

ETA: Found this list:

FIG
    Hall's Chophouse
    Parcel 32
    The Establishment
    The Ordinary

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Also saw McCrady’s Pub is good...

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.

Woah, sorry for not seeing this in my absence Ice. I’ll dig up that pm I wrote , I remember it.

Grskier, go early and try the bar at Husk down the side corridor - first come first served.

Failing that (I can post more in depth later if you’d like) I’m enjoying:

The Ordinary
    Butcher & Bee
    The Grocery
    Darling Oyster Bar
    Obstinate Daughter on Sullivan’s Is.

The explosion on North King over the past few years at the expense of South King/Meeting is noticeable as is the growing Mt Pleasant / island scene. Get out and explore.
    Happy to PM more
    I still call it The Jake.

My friend Guilds does a nice culinary tour there.
    https://charlestonculinarytours.com/meet-our-guides/
    Well maybe I'm the faggot America
    I'm not a part of a redneck agenda

Heading back next weekend for LPGA US Open.
    Already got a reservation at Halls on Friday.
    The rest, we’ll probably repeat from last month trip.

Local beers that I should try to pick up while we're there?
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com

Obstinate Daughter is great for lunch. I also like the Queen St Grocery in Charleston proper for breakfast or lunch.

McCrady's ended up being the most expensive meal of my life but well worth it. I think the pub is a separate kitchen so probably different.

There is a sweet happy hour that starts at like 3 or so at this restaurant on a pier (forget the name) by the cruise ship drop-off. I liked that better than the Vendue rooftop place that had more recco's which felt overpriced and has an undersized elevator (weird critique I know but depending on how busy the place is can suckkkkk).
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    Local beers that I should try to pick up while we're there?
    Westbrook and Edmund's Oast make some decent beers.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/categ...2030153318721/ this guy is excellent. Slings sushi at the end of the bar.

https://www.chsfermentory.com/ right down the street for beers.

Going back to Kiawah Island late August.
    3rd visit since this year April!
    Can you tell we like Kiawah Island/Charleston??!!

Not going to miss Husk this time.

Spending an hour or two walking around Patriot's Point checking out the military hardware is pretty cool.
    Go that way really REALLY fast. If something gets in your way, TURN!

Charleston, SC scoops?

Quote Originally Posted by nutmegchoi View Post
    Going back to Kiawah Island late August.
    3rd visit since this year April!
    Can you tell we like Kiawah Island/Charleston??!!

Not going to miss Husk this time.

Good for you. That’s a good streak. Make sure you come back end of September to late November is honestly the best season. Warm days just not as humid. Less crowded.

I’ll be close fly fishing winyah bay, just north of Charleston. Inshore tarpon is awesome in August.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fall in Low Country is as good as it gets.

If anyone needs me you’ll find me there then.

As much as I like Husk, there's so much good food in Charleston that I'd want to spread it out a bit.

Enjoy.

I don't have anything to add other than I noticed Nutmeg's Gay Dolphin refrigerator magnet a while back. pure awesome. Remember giggling about the name in the 7th grade (1976). NTTATWWT. Note year. gotta git me one.
    "Can't you see..."

Charleston, SC scoops?

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    As much as I like Husk, there's so much good food in Charleston that I'd want to spread it out a bit.

Enjoy.
    Since we are staying in Kiawah Island mainly for golf, we’ll probably go into Charleston dinner only for couple nights.
    We are most likely taking Monday or even Wednesday, but the rest nights will get canceled and make some random couple very happy.

If any mag wants Tuesday or Thursday reservation, let me know.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshall Tucker View Post
    I don't have anything to add other than I noticed Nutmeg's Gay Dolphin refrigerator magnet a while back. pure awesome. Remember giggling about the name in the 7th grade (1976). NTTATWWT. Note year. gotta git me one.
    Gay Dolphin’s still hanging strong!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1597.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	428.7 KB 
ID:	287140
    Last edited by nutmegchoi; 06-29-2019 at 09:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    I spend quite a bit of time in Charleston. In my opinion it's one of the greatest cities in America for its combination of history, food, culture, and beauty.
    Bump! You weren't kidding! Wife was working out there last week so I bounced out there real quick to join the fun. Spent the first night walking around downtown on E Bay St and the waterfront area. Enjoyed cheap happy hour oysters and dinner at Pearlz Oyster Bar and rounded off the night at the Gin Joint for some out of this world hipstery artisan cocktails. Spent a day checking out the Drayton Hall plantation and Fort Sumter before cruising over to Mt. Pleasant for dinner. Went to Tavern & Table for more great fresh seafood.

Kind of a dead time of year, so we basically had the place to ourselves. Had a great time. I used to frequent Charleston AFB years ago, so had been there plenty of times before, but this was my first time as a civilian. Place has really developed over the last 20 years!!! Very nice little city.

Quote Originally Posted by billyk View Post
    I don’t know if your disdain for southern history extends to American history as well, but Ft Sumter has a lot of it. First shots fired in the Civil War.

It’s a good example of how NOT to prepare a coastal defense fort. The union troops were under supplied, and didn’t even have fuses for their cannon balls, so they couldn’t fire exploding balls back at the rebels, only solid balls.
    Ft. Sumter was very much worth the visit! Fascinating place. As to your point about it being how not to do things, in the Union's defense, I learned from the presentation there that the place was only about 75-80% complete and they were in the middle of finishing it up. Kind of got caught with their pants down on that one unfortunately. Amazing there weren't more casualties out of that one since they got the crap blasted out of them!

One thing that always cracks me up about Civil War history was the gentlemanly smack talk between the various leaders. They basically knew how to tell their enemies to go eff themselves in cursive. LMAO

Quote Originally Posted by MontuckyFried View Post
    Bump! You weren't kidding! Wife was working out there last week so I bounced out there real quick to join the fun. Spent the first night walking around downtown on E Bay St and the waterfront area. Enjoyed cheap happy hour oysters and dinner at Pearlz Oyster Bar and rounded off the night at the Gin Joint for some out of this world hipstery artisan cocktails. Spent a day checking out the Drayton Hall plantation and Fort Sumter before cruising over to Mt. Pleasant for dinner. Went to Tavern & Table for more great fresh seafood.

Kind of a dead time of year, so we basically had the place to ourselves. Had a great time. I used to frequent Charleston AFB years ago, so had been there plenty of times before, but this was my first time as a civilian. Place has really developed over the last 20 years!!! Very nice little city.
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Gin Joint is one of my favorite cocktail bars ever, perfectly cozy and I've never had a bad drink - always let the bartender drive giving them a couple profiles that I like. I'll be heading over to Chas for the long weekend and enjoying an oyster roast and some great food. Winter in Lowcountry is (thankfully) still vastly underappreciated.

Tavern and Table is a favorite spot for a drink and a sunset on the patio watching the fisherman, dolphins and paddlers all slowly amble by; Shem Creek can be a lot of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    Glad you enjoyed it!

Gin Joint is one of my favorite cocktail bars ever, perfectly cozy and I've never had a bad drink - always let the bartender drive giving them a couple profiles that I like. I'll be heading over to Chas for the long weekend and enjoying an oyster roast and some great food. Winter in Lowcountry is (thankfully) still vastly underappreciated.

Tavern and Table is a favorite spot for a drink and a sunset on the patio watching the fisherman, dolphins and paddlers all slowly amble by; Shem Creek can be a lot of fun.
    Thanks! I can see why you like Charleston so much. Really is a charming city for all the reasons you mentioned. The atmosphere at Gin Joint is precisely what drew us in to begin with. My wife isn't drinking these days, and the non-alcoholic drinks they offer there are unreal! Like a full blown cocktail sans alcohol. Some kind of smoked tea base.

Yeah, that Shem Creek area is super cool! We got to enjoy the sunset there as well. It is such a relaxing place.

Just like you said, apparently winter in this area is SUPER underappreciated, which worked out great for us since we didn't have to worry about making reservations to do anything. Got to run around and do everything on a whim just like the good old days of travelling. Crowds were non-existent, which meant some of the restaurants were closed, but enough were still open that I didn't mind. Felt like (what used to be) off-season at our favorite mountain towns. Weather was amazing. Typical mild SC winter stuff. Some rain, cool weather. Had a beautiful sunny day in the 60s. Very nice.

Do yourself a favor, and do a tour of some of the plantations. I learned so much about the Gullah culture and history that have shaped so much of this country's cuisine and culture.