recommendations for around Bozeman (Bigsky)

I'm flying into Bozeman to meet up with a bunch of buddies in March, and have a little extra time to spend there. Looking to extend my stay at least 2 nights. I'm sure there are a bunch of inexpensive motels in town, just not sure if the logistics of getting around with a weeks work of gear is possible w/o a car rental. How's the transportation to Bigsky from the airport?
    Any recommendations for places to stay in town, and is it more worth while to try and ski Bridger when staying in town then trekking out to Bigsky.

Alot of ski and stay deals at Bridger and I think there may be a shuttle. BS is alot further.
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

No idea on the shuttle scene. We stayed in Bozeman, but drove there and had a car. Was no issue at all if you have a car. We stayed at the Super 8 and it was cheap, clean, and reasonably spacious.

I'd recommend spending time at both Bridger and Big Sky/Moonlight. Totally different types of mountains, but both super fun. Definitely spring for the combined Big Sky/Moonlight ticket; you want to Big Sky pass to ride the tram, but there's sick terrain (with a better, north facing aspect) on the Moonlight side.

If you rent, do the three-star option on Priceline, shooting for $55 -- it's most likely going to be the Holiday Inn. No breakfast, but a pretty nice room for the price. Then Bridger is like 15 minutes away.

x2 on getting combined Moonlight/Big Sky ticket. You don't want to miss Moonlight Basin, cool terrain, north facing.

There is a shuttle from the airport direct to Big Sky. Not sure what it costs. Even better is the bus from Downtown and the university. It costs 2 bucks. I know most Bozeman hotels that have an airport shuttle will let you use their shuttle van to go meet this bus at it's stops in town. I know the Holiday Inn on 7th (mentioned above^^) does that.

Best bet, call Big Sky Central Reservation. Get a package deal at the Huntley Lodge that includes lift tickets. I know they do alot $99 a night deals for slopeside room, lift ticket, and huge breakfast buffet.

Bridger is cool too, but if you are coming from out of town you need to see Big Sky/Moonlight Basin.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

hit me up i gotta bridger condo, if it aint booked id consider maggot brobrah deal... stash that in yer mentals and we'll see what the snow looks like then...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    x2 on getting combined Moonlight/Big Sky ticket. You don't want to miss Moonlight Basin, cool terrain, north facing.

There is a shuttle from the airport direct to Big Sky. Not sure what it costs. Even better is the bus from Downtown and the university. It costs 2 bucks. I know most Bozeman hotels that have an airport shuttle will let you use their shuttle van to go meet this bus at it's stops in town. I know the Holiday Inn on 7th (mentioned above^^) does that.

^^ That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Any good drinking holes in Bozeman? Considering I'm gonna be solo for a few night...

Quote Originally Posted by baseWeldr View Post
    hit me up i gotta bridger condo, if it aint booked id consider maggot brobrah deal... stash that in yer mentals and we'll see what the snow looks like then...
    Noted.

If the shocker don't rock her, then Dr. Spock her. Dad.

Quote Originally Posted by bongora3 View Post
    ^^ That's exactly the info I was looking for.

Any good drinking holes in Bozeman? Considering I'm gonna be solo for a few night...
    Actually, the bar at the Holiday Inn isn't bad, but my favorite bar is the Haufbrau.

Quote Originally Posted by Sirshredalot View Post
    Actually, the bar at the Holiday Inn isn't bad, but my favorite bar is the Haufbrau.
    That joint is full of fixie-ridin butt-crack showin, wanna be telecommutin dirtbags.

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    That joint is full of fixie-ridin butt-crack showin, wanna be telecommutin dirtbags.

Well ya, after all it is in Bozeman.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Quote Originally Posted by Lexi-Bell View Post
    Dirtbag of the year two years runnin'!

is there still a free bus to BS/MLB?
    You should just hit up both Bridger and BS/MLB. You can stay in Bozeman. Look up where the bus stops. Don't know what BB does for a shuttle nowadays, but you could probably hitch a ride.
    If cost isn't a problem, just rent a car.
    No longer stuck.

Quote Originally Posted by stuckathuntermtn View Post
    Just an uneducated guess.

Any good drinking holes in Bozeman?
    Last season we went to the Montanna Ale Works...had 30+ regional brews on tap and the food was good too.

Any good drinking holes in Bozeman?
    Sadly.. the Rockin R went up in smoke... ditto the 'Dog' at Bridger
    'To quote my bro
    "We're not K2. We're a bunch of maggots running one press at full steam building killer fukkin skis and putting smiles on our friends' faces." ' - skifishbum '08

"Adios Hugh you asshole" - Ghostofcarl '14

believe...

The Rockin R was rebuilt and has been open for about a year. I second the Montana Ale Works, great food and beer. I'm a huge Bridger Fan, nothing against BS/MB but I like the smaller resort with the local thing. That and Slushmans in hard to beat for "inbounds" skiing. On a completely different note, a tour of the Montana Roughstock Whiskey plant with tastings would be a great side trip.
    Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

Quote Originally Posted by Harry View Post
    Best bet, call Big Sky Central Reservation. Get a package deal at the Huntley Lodge that includes lift tickets. I know they do alot $99 a night deals for slopeside room, lift ticket, and huge breakfast buffet.
    After much shopping last season, I found this to be the best bargain. I compared them to EVERYONE in Bozeman and the Big Sky area. When you take into account the included lift tix and the killer breakfast, you can't beat it. Doesn't hurt that it's slopeside lodging either! No walking miles across some huge village like some of the giganto CO resorts. You walk out the door and the lifts are right there.

They REALLY hooked me up last time I skied there. I called to make reservations at the Huntley, but they were all booked. SO they gave me a room at the Summit hotel next door (4-star digs) for a few bucks more than what I was quoted on the Huntley.

Staying at the mountain really is worth it. With some of the bargains you can swing going through Big Sky Central Reservations, it can be hard to justify staying in Bozeman, unless you're skiing Bridger Bowl.

Free shuttle to and from Bozeman fairgrounds and McDonalds to Bridger...could work. Big Sky? Nah, Bridger.

Behold my fluffy goodness, you bastard.

we are thinking about being there after Christmas maybe New Years. Do I need to make reservations for a place to stay? Son is thinking MSU.
    off your knees Louie