Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by The Suit View Post
    Anybody who thinks there's only one true path to happiness is wearing blinders. From cubicles to skiing - it can all be great...
    In a perfect world, this would be the final post on TGR.

There is a place that you can have both a career and ski as much as you like .
    Seattle. If you live in the Eastside suburbs you are only half an hour to Alpental . Plus you can go surfing , Mt biking. Pretty much anything outdoors.
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

I say do it. You gotta do what makes you happy.

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    There is a place that you can have both a career and ski as much as you like .
    Seattle. If you live in the Eastside suburbs you are only half an hour to Alpental . Plus you can go surfing , Mt biking. Pretty much anything outdoors.
    Seattle is the shit. But Alpental all winter would get old real fast I would think. I need me some big mountains,

So I didn't read all of the posts in this thread, but I really dig it.

I quit my job in LA and moved out to Vail less than a week later. Sold everything I owned, broke up with my girlfriend, quit my job all in less than a week. Then came out here. That was 4 years ago now.

Things have gone well. I have gotten out more than a 100 days for 5 years now (got some while out in CA) and have gotten to do some really fun shit along the way. I know it's small potatoes for a lot of you guys, but it was a big thing for me.

Now I'm wondering about what happens if I leave back to the real world. For those of you out there who have made a life after leaving the mountain, what are you thoughts? Are you able to stay happy after the big switch back? Skiing will always be my passion, but I just don't know if I have the chops to make it my profession as well. Obviously not talking about going pro, but getting involved in the industry long term.

Anyways, if anyone has any advice for a guy on his last year in the mountains, please make em now. And also please be gentle...

Quote Originally Posted by Two06 View Post
    Seattle is the shit. But Alpental all winter would get old real fast I would think. I need me some big mountains,
    Have you skied Alpental? It skis very big for a small mountain. I have skied all over the world and Alpental + backcountry + touring equals fantastic
    License to kill gophers by the government of the United Nations

Quote Originally Posted by Slurr P View Post
    Now I'm wondering about what happens if I leave back to the real world. For those of you out there who have made a life after leaving the mountain, what are you thoughts? Are you able to stay happy after the big switch back?
    No, you lose the stoke. I've obsessed over alpine peaks and dicking around on snow for decades. An 8 year stint in DC after college convinced me to never, ever live away from mountains again. They're a never ending, always changing playground. Luckily I got a transfer so the sacrifice was minimal, but it took a long time to find a good job in my own version of mecca.

It's a tough thing to go through - odds are you're either balancing priorities to stay happy or trying to balance a budget to enable you to enjoy the fruits. If you're lucky enough to be in a position to get a degree fucking study and investigate careers that are tele-commute friendly. Often you'll have to develop a rapport, but that can be a solid way to make decent money and live wherever you can get your fix.

I was talking to my stepmom last night and I'm just really surprised at how she doesn't "get it." My job situation is a little shaky and I was talking about applying at Boeing 'cause they have lots of work right now and she's suggesting that I move to South Carolina because Boeing has lots of work there. She's known me over 20 years, what on Earth makes her think I'd be anywhere close to happy in SC?

Whatever happens, I'm sticking close to real mountains and places that have snow in the winter. I'd rather be poor and able to ski than make a bunch of money and live somewhere hot, humid, and likely to get hit by a hurricane.

Good on ya for following your heart. Our time on this planet is short and we are fortunate to live at a time and in a place where we are able to do what fulfills us rather than simply grub out an existence.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Lots in this thread nails it. Work is just selling your time cheap. I was a cubicle monkey in a New england shipyard for 5 years, got laid off last march. Drove across the country, had my mind blown in jackson for a week then stopped in Oregon. Spent the summer on a fire crew. Saw some incredible things and banked some cash. Got my job back at the shipyard for double my fire pay/hr last week and am seriously regretting coming back. The cash doesn't offset having some the most beautiful places left as your "office"

A lot of judgement and justification boning up a cool thread.

And just a guess but all the guys bitching about a lack of women in ski towns are the same guys the women are bitching about when they say it's tough to find a GOOD guy in a ski town. You guys should try showering, not ditching your girl on every powder day, choosing dinner for a cutie over a new piece of gear or lift ticket even just once a month, and opening the door for a lady sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Slurr P View Post
    Now I'm wondering about what happens if I leave back to the real world. For those of you out there who have made a life after leaving the mountain, what are you thoughts? Are you able to stay happy after the big switch back?
    I spent two winters in a ski town and spent my summers mountain guiding. Last year I took an engineering job in a mid size city and I actually really enjoy what I do. I work 4 10's so I have 3 day weekends and it totally works for me. I am happy but adventure definitely looks a bit different than it used to. Mostly in the form of a weekend warrior... and I spend a lot more time in my car headed to the mountain but honestly I don't really mind it when you got a good crew to ride with. My best advice would be to find other people with the same passion... people that "get it." They're out there in every city. I'm so thankful for my 2 years in the mountains, I think it keeps me much more grounded and focused on what's really important. I have a fantastic quality of life right now and my love of skiing hasn't changed. You can definitely be happy after the switch! No matter what you do best of luck and enjoy!

I like this thread. I think the key though is to find a real job near the mountains. I'm always a bit in awe of you ski bums who grind out the shit jobs (or two) to make it work - it seems exhausting. I never even considered it because I knew the stress would take too much of the fun out of the skiing part... for me. To each his own.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Conundrum View Post
    And just a guess but all the guys bitching about a lack of women in ski towns are the same guys the women are bitching about when they say it's tough to find a GOOD guy in a ski town. You guys should try showering, not ditching your girl on every powder day, choosing dinner for a cutie over a new piece of gear or lift ticket even just once a month, and opening the door for a lady sometime.
    More like the people laughing when some dude from a mountain town goes to XYZ city and exclaims "OMFG there are so many hot women here"

Quote Originally Posted by Ski to Be View Post
    Have you skied Alpental? It skis very big for a small mountain. I have skied all over the world and Alpental + backcountry + touring equals fantastic
    I've skied all over the world and Whistler/Blackcomb + seasons pass = owns the shit out of alpental

round and round!!!!!!!!!! security=comfort= "Or have you only comfort, and the lust for comfort, that stealthy thing that enters the house a guest, and becomes a host, and then a master?
    Ay, and it becomes a tamer, and with hook and scourge makes puppets of your larger desires.
    Though its hands are silken, its heart is of iron. It lulls you to sleep only to stand by your bed and jeer at the dignity of the flesh. It makes mock of your sound senses, and lays them in thistledown like fragile vessels. Verily the lust for comfort murders the passion of the soul, and then walks grinning in the funeral."

the real world lies outside the comfort zone!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    Never forget it, Lexi. It really is a fantasy world compared to 90% of this country.
    Maybe, but it's radness here, in my opinion. I think people forget how good we really have it here; it's the best of many worlds. I'm certainly a fan because I have a big boy job, make it work and get the goods in when the snow flies.

A lot of judgement....
    Speaking of which, you spelled it wrong. I judge you moran.
    Quando paramucho mi amore de felice carathon.
    Mundo paparazzi mi amore cicce verdi parasol.
    Questo abrigado tantamucho que canite carousel.

It's the royal judgement bro. You know, the OG type.

not ditching your girl on every powder day
    sacrilege

Make one little joke that is an obvious exaggeration of mountain town ratios, in the spirit of lightheartedly discouraging more bro bras from relocating to mountain towns and further depressing the ratio, and the butthurt lasts for weeks...
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

My sights were not on you Mr. Capone.

Quote Originally Posted by Benny Profane View Post
    sacrilege
    You must not have an openminded girl that realizes there's more than one kind of faceshot that's cool.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    uhhhhhhhhh have you ever been to Jackson? There's hot, cool chicks all over the place. Same goes for most of the larger-than-tiny ski towns in the West.
    In a ski town in America? Have you ever considered a career in Politics or the Clergy?
    Last edited by freshie247; 09-27-2012 at 07:19 PM.
    Calmer than you dude

Different strokes for different folks, I think. I have a career in SLC that allows me to ski 50 or so days a year, ride my bike as much as I want, fish the provo, and go on a couple dozen awesome weekend trips per year. I used to be able to ski as much as I want and would get in 100+ days a year. I think I am happier now than I was then.

Just curious, what do people who ski bum do for work? Service positions are absolutely dreadful to me, and the people who generally work them in ski towns are transient and way to bro-brah for me. Most of the people I know that work these kinds of jobs and ski everyday seem way less happy with their work than people who have careers.

I think it's awesome that lots of people enjoy bumming it, but I like a bit more of a mix of intellectual challenge, financial security and time outside.

edit: I should point out that I definitely dislike certain aspects of my job and definitely don't like the 8+ hours in a row, but my boss is cool about midweek ski days and I generally like the people I work with and what I do