Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
    It's all about balance...

For some of us balance is skiing everday, bell to bell, every winter. For others it's skiing 10 days a year (though to me that is not balance).

Having made a decision similar to yours nearly 10 years ago, I can still remember the feelings of freedom, excitement, and adventure as I headed west down empty highways towards an unknown future.

It is a leap of faith for many people in our "culture" to truly be individual and follow your heart. But often by taking the biggest risks we can reap the biggest rewards. Happiness, bliss, and independence.

I chose to live in the mountains and work from home because it makes me happy. Your reality is what you make it. Enjoy the ride!

Quote Originally Posted by tone capone View Post
    One mistake and it's "oh, shit, my life can't revolve around this anymore, a normal life in a town with more than one hot cool chick for every 16 horny dudes doesn't sound so bad."
    uhhhhhhhhh have you ever been to Jackson? There's hot, cool chicks all over the place. Same goes for most of the larger-than-tiny ski towns in the West. but if that's what you need to think to yourself to justify where you live.......

Best to ya Meatspicy. If you're after a "real job" type thing, there are opportunities here. Of course it depends on your skill set, motivation and who you know but that goes in any place.

Btw- I had a spicy meat burrito the last two days. Still damn good. They will be here when you arrive.

Or you can have it both ways. A real job in a ski town.
    That's the dream but pretty hard to come by, especially without gaining experience in the real world first from what I've seen. Work from home arrangements would be great too but they don't just drop out of thin air. Would move back to Jackson in a heart beat if I hit the lottery, but unfortunately additional goals in life often require a sacrifice in location. Thought I had the whole balance thing figured out (awesome close mountains, cheap cost of living, real job) in SLC, but I hated my job and the hours were awful. Now I'm in Seattle and the job is better but it's more of a super crowded, expensive rat race and the hills are less accessible, especially mid-week. That said, I could never live in the "real world" if the mountains weren't less than an hour or two drive for a regular escape to regain sanity. I honestly don't know how I would handle living somewhere without an outdoor escape within easy striking distance.

Tough call, to each their own. You just sacrifice A LOT in the pursuit of recreation to live some place like Jackson, but then again you don't meet many unhappy people there, so maybe they have it all figured out.

are we talking about "The Matrix" or some dude who made a career change? Jesus.

Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I'm going to agree with Blurred here. I mean, it's actually admirable that you have a job that is such a calling that you'd rather do it than ski all day, but that's still pretty weird.

Myself, I have a decent job and a reasonable balance, and I don't choose the meatspicy route because I want to own a house, I now have a kid, I want to hope to retire someday, etc. But I would quit in an instant and move the family to the mountains if I won the lottery.
    That's really the key. I don't have kids but I gather it's a pretty stressful go if you're trying to be a good parent and still bum it up skiing 80+ days living in a ski town. Sure there's the magical unicorn of the 'real job in a ski town', but I don't know if I've ever actually seen it in the wild.

And retirement... bums don't retire. Bums just die. Is it worth compromising so you can sleep in in your old age? Maybe. I can't say for sure. Worth thinking about tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Star View Post
    uhhhhhhhhh have you ever been to Jackson? There's hot, cool chicks all over the place. Same goes for most of the larger-than-tiny ski towns in the West. but if that's what you need to think to yourself to justify where you live.......
    Im sorry, but this is just not true. Not as bad as 16-1 I'll give you, but its not a good ratio either.
    Live Free or Die

This is a good thread. I spent the last 2 winters in Alta, and in a way it ruined me; like you said it's pretty much what's always on my mind. I was a junior when I headed off for my first year, and now I'm back in school at the University of Georgia. I changed majors from bio to geology, it's a lot more my style. I'm enjoying UGA because it's a great place, but it's not Alta. Alta is my mecca, or any place with deep snow and big mtns for that matter. I'm looking at probably 2 more winters in the south before I stuff all my shit in my car and head west. I'm not even considering any cubicle jobs, I would die in that kind of a work place. If it wasn't for the endless supply of SEXY women and world class kayaking, I would have evaporated a few months ago.

Enjoy Jackson. My time in Alta shifted my perspective on life. I'll take bankruptcy of purse over bankruptcy of soul any day

Is the money you make worth the price you pay?

I'm not sure if I'll ever go back to a traditional 9 to 5. I'd be lying if I said it hadn't crossed my mind a time or two, but to fully go back to the cubicle thing is a hard pill to swallow after almost 5 years being out of the 'Real World'. For now, at least, my home is here.

Good for you, OP. You've got the balls to make a decision most people wont, despite what their soul tells them.

Oh no, I live right here in Mantana. It's cool though, there are definetly a good amount of ladies that do cool shit here, just could always use more on the ski hill. Send some up from Jackson if you feel you have a surplus!
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

This thread basically sums up what runs through my mind at least 10 times a day.

Glad to hear all the nice positive comments. Good on ya' for making the move. That was a brave decision.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    Im sorry, but this is just not true. Not as bad as 16-1 I'll give you, but its not a good ratio either.
    probly 'cause ur doing it wrong.

Hugh Conway Guest
    yeah man, compared to the cities, Jackson is paradise for poon.

The ratio conditions may be much better then say 20 years ago but honestly if you actually think what you're saying is true you really need to travel a bit.

A couple of falls ago I was in the local "Grocery Store" in Big Sky and ran across friends who had just got back into town.

2 springs before they had moved away to the "Real World".

I asked what they were doing back and one said, we saw the Real World, avoid it at all costs.

That was good enough for me. This is season 28 outside the real world.
    I have been in this State for 30 years and I am willing to admit that I am part of the problem.

"Happiest years of my life were earning < $8.00 and hour, collecting unemployment every spring and fall, no car, no debt and no responsibilities. 1984-1990 Park City UT"

Hell yeah man, good for you!
    Ski The East.
    Lemurs are rad.

Quote Originally Posted by jrbd View Post
    That sounds very painful.
    You beat me to it.

Work fire in the summer for the Forest Service or some other agency and save all your money and then get face shots all winter and have some money. Your cubical job gives you more cash, but I bet you live with less cash cause you need all that other junk.
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

@Lone Star - cool avatar man
    I love my family. Kids are the best.
    http://www.praxisskis.com

A lot of people can't go back to the 'real world'. I'm not even going to try

great post SFB, I couldn't have said it better! Thanks for the sig VVV
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Congrats. While I understand your want to make this change, I did the exact opposite.

I found living in the mountains, struggling to make ends meet, working 2 jobs more tiring than relaxing. Now my easy job that I love to do and make good money causes me less stress and allows me to snowboard less, but I'm ok with that. When I was out riding I forgot the stress but when I wasn't it was all I was thinking about.

Congrats on being able to manage it, I couldn't.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

I married one.
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Congrats. While I understand your want to make this change, I did the exact opposite.

I found living in the mountains, struggling to make ends meet, working 2 jobs more tiring than relaxing. Now my easy job that I love to do and make good money causes me less stress and allows me to snowboard less, but I'm ok with that. When I was out riding I forgot the stress but when I wasn't it was all I was thinking about.

Congrats on being able to manage it, I couldn't.
    I have been struggling with this too. Going on my third season of ski bumming right now, I am not sure if I can keep doing it. Really hope I find a way to stay in or at least near the mountains.

It all depends on finding a good gig. Fighting fire, as mentioned above, worked out well for me. Still, I had to sacrifice summers to that, and put in some serious office time office time to make it pay off in the long run. I wonder about some of the 60-something's I know that are still scrabbling to get by, but maybe that's just my smug kicking in. it's nice having a nest egg.

I like the way you think OP. Gl & enjoy.

I get it. I really do. Further, I can see how you can cut corners, live frugally, and make it work out. But how to you get health insurance? That's a show stopper unless you're fond of crossing your fingers or declaring bankruptcy in the event of a serious injury.