Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by splat View Post
    He's got his hand on the spigot.

He'll be skiing in his hose bibs, sprayin all over. Hell yeah!
    Probably time for you to pull Scotsmans hose out of your mouth.

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid
    Love it. Totally sig-worthy.

Quote Originally Posted by Blurred View Post
    Life is a gift. It is not something you take for granted and spend wasting away in a cubicle .
    Why would anyone think that is the route to happiness over skiing every day in the Winter?!
    I fully support the OPs decision, congrats for him! He left a "job" to follow his dreams. It takes balls to do that. But to make the sweeping statement that no one can derive fulfillment from working in a cubicle is absurd. I love my career. Sure, I love taking time off in the winter to ski (and I generally try to take almost every midweek pow day off), but I wouldn't sacrifice doing what I love to ski full time.

I recognize that I might be in the small minority of people who actually love their jobs, but that doesn't change the fact that I would be less happy if I gave it up to ski full time.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    you can take the bum out of the skier
    but ya never can remove the ski from the bum
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid
    You're a true poet!
    Johnny's only sin was dispair

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post
    I fully support the OPs decision, congrats for him! He left a "job" to follow his dreams. It takes balls to do that. But to make the sweeping statement that no one can derive fulfillment from working in a cubicle is absurd. I love my career. Sure, I love taking time off in the winter to ski (and I generally try to take almost every midweek pow day off), but I wouldn't sacrifice doing what I love to ski full time.

I recognize that I might be in the small minority of people who actually love their jobs, but that doesn't change the fact that I would be less happy if I gave it up to ski full time.
    So you enjoy working in a cubicle more than skiing.

That's pretty weird. Really.

Way to go ! I love living in the mountains full time and skiing.
    It saved my life. Best of luck with whatever you do to
    pay the bills, for the pass, the sled gas, new or used planks,
    etc. It will all fall into place for you.
    www.freeridesystems.com
    ski & ride jackets made in colorado
    maggot discount code TGR20
    ok we'll come up with a solution by then makers....

Congrats op!

I love my job , self-employed but no fucking chance in hell will this career or any for that matter ever be better than skiing full-time.

To the person above who said that, I think you need help.
    "up in the ski resorts, up in hills they move ki's and had skis making drops on snowmobiles"- GZA

Yeah I lasted 6 months back in the cubicle after California, I've still got my letter from the company when they offered me a full time non-contract position and said no. The HR lady told me that she wasn't sure what to do in this situation as no one has ever said no. I told her it was all taken care of as I wouldn't be showing up next week because I plan on having fun instead.

Utard now and I'm loving it. I bike everyday in the summer and ski everyday in the winter.

Good on yeah for heading to Jackson, when do you plan on arriving? I'll be up there for about a week and would love to meet up with you and your lady if you'll be around.
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel

nice. I did it and came back after 7 years. Make sure you go out in style. give notice. take the exp. you learned in the "real" world and use it Jackson to get a better job than you had last time. and listen Our world, is way better than the real world!

just be aware DOG's burritos have gotten smaller and less spicy the last 3 years, and cost a buck more

If city life is the real world then I'll be more than happy to live the rest of my life in a fantasy mountain town.
    Never forget it, Lexi. It really is a fantasy world compared to 90% of this country.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I live in Columbus, OH. Before that I lived in Birmingham, AL for almost 7 painful years. I grew up in eastern Nebraska. YEAH.............

Quote Originally Posted by auvgeek View Post

Or you can have it both ways. A real job in a ski town.

120 days a year and not waiting tables/tending bar/being someones bitch is pretty sweet.

To the OP, it can be done. It sounds like you hated your location more than your job, but to each their own. Either way, you are making the right decision.

Work to live, not live to work.
    Live Free or Die

what is the real world?
    some people think that the real world is the one in which we engage in activities like work, school, or scheduled routine life. often people think of time off work spent playing or on vacation as not real life.

to me the life that produces the highest bliss is the most real and signifigant.

This shit's getting deep.

To each his own, I'm lucky enough to get the best of both worlds! Have a good job where I can basically make my own sched. Makes it nice come winter, plus in my town the money is made in the summer. Easy to take time off in the winter.

Great post! you only live once..
    I've been away from the mountains for 7 months now (visiting family in Australia) and I think about it every day... flying back to Canada in 2 weeks!
    moving to Vancouver (not whistler this time) as I need to study so that I can get a better job in the mountains, I'm not waiting tables or bar tending ever again...
    /blog
    :-)

Life is a gift. It is not something you take for granted and spend wasting away in a cubicle .
    Why would anyone think that is the route to happiness over skiing every day in the Winter?!
    Some say it's their only option, but reality is they just don't have the balls to do what you're doing Spicy.
    Probably one of the few times where I fully agree with what Blurred said. Except that one TR where I saw that girls butthole

But I will never agree with his wardrobe.
    So local it hurts...

So you enjoy working in a cubicle more than skiing.

That's pretty weird. Really.
    I'm going to agree with Blurred here. I mean, it's actually admirable that you have a job that is such a calling that you'd rather do it than ski all day, but that's still pretty weird.

Myself, I have a decent job and a reasonable balance, and I don't choose the meatspicy route because I want to own a house, I now have a kid, I want to hope to retire someday, etc. But I would quit in an instant and move the family to the mountains if I won the lottery.
    "fuck off you asshat gaper shit for brains fucktard wanker." - Jesus Christ
    "She was tossing her bean salad with the vigor of a Drunken Pop princess so I walked out of the corner and said.... "need a hand?"" - Odin
    "everybody's got their hooks into you, fuck em....forge on motherfuckers, drag all those bitches across the goal line with you." - (not so) ill-advised strategy

WINNING!!!
    Good for you man, sometimes you have to try actually embracing the rat race so you won't have to second guess your rejection of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovetoskiatalta View Post
    Dude its losers like you that give ski bums a bad rap.

We might still have a room available here in the double wide....
    Forum Cross Pollinator, gratuitously strident

Just remember one thing. Once you fuck yourself up, it's starts to make you rethink just how sustainable the endless ski seasaons and shitty work life really are. One mistake and it's "oh, shit, my life can't revolve around this anymore, a normal life in a town with more than one hot cool chick for every 16 horny dudes doesn't sound so bad."

Grass being greener and all... Seriously though, stay fit, don't work or party too much, rip the shit out of it for as long as possible and fight the good fight brotha. I wish you many great ski seasons and off seasons ahead.
    "The skis just popped me up out of the snow and I went screaming down the hill on a high better than any heroin junkie." She Ra

I had a bad injury at the end of hs. Took time to get a degree, worst decision of my life. I'm never gong back. Let's ride.

you can put a $ amount on an hour worked, but a free hour is priceless. never bought into this "real world" living myself. figured out in grade school that as long as ya make a bit more money than ya spend, you'll always be moving forward on the right side and can live/play as ya choose. easy math.

good on ya for leaving the shitty and heading back to the hill.

rog

Fuck yeah! Can't say my life is a cell, nor do I work in a cubicle. Surf is pretty damned good right out the door, but the snow is a long way off. Not too far for a day trip, but I do miss out on the epic days. I think the best thing I ever did was leave my job six months before my son was born, strung together some consulting work and scored the best 2-4 days of each week during an epic Tahoe winter. Now I stay home with my boy and manage the home. And I miss the epic days all the time now. Guess it would not really matter where I lived, but if I was in the mountains, me and my son would be out touring every day in the winter. I learned last year that I would rather hike with him on my chest and ski 7 degree slopes than sit inside and cozy up by the fire.

Good luck and enjoy your return to a life well spent. Blurred hit it on the head. Life is a gift not to be wasted on sitting around doing what you do not want to do.

holy shit, I just heard on npr that Sims died. sorry, wrong thread for that.

As a fishing and snowmobile guide - I get asked what my career aspirations are all the time. I have two degrees and a year of my master's in the bag...but what I tell people is that I chose to take my retirement in my 20s. I'll be a Wal-Mart greeter when I'm 70, I'd be bored if I were 70 and retired. Live life to the fullest, never pass up an opportunity to do what you love day in and day out.