Page 25 of 32 FirstFirst ... 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... LastLast
    KH is amazing up top, but slush below the bear enclosure. Really, the good terrain is good, and the rest is really shit. I think that extra 700 ft of elevation makes a difference. Busy as all hell, it was 45 mins to get a gondy in the singles line, and apparently all the hotels are completely booked.

how are the next couple days looking for Red? We're warming up here in the ID panhandle but we top out at 6400'. I know what the weather guessers are saying for Rossland but how does that translate for the mountain?

Thinking of heading up Wed/Thurs, is the Rossland Motel the best place to stay? It'll be my first time up there and I'm unfamiliar with the terrain, any pillows to speak of? A PM of runs/lifts to spend my time on would be much appreciated since I only have a couple days to explore, I won't tell a soul!
    Last edited by NWskibum; 03-02-2013 at 05:44 PM.

Warm temps hit Red hard. Was slushy and sticky schmoo this morning almost to the top. Knee ripping stuff other than groomers.

Unless it snows a foot, it is going to be brutal once it finally goes below freezing.

Just here today, so hopefully locals can give more info on what happens the next few days.

re: Red...

Snow coming tonight then again on Wednesday (hopefully that's true).

You'll mainly want to be on 1 lift- the Motherlode- or Paradise if it's sunny and you want a tan. For runs, depends on the temps/sun/snow.

Eldo, had I known, we could have hooked up for a high 5!

Hey, Sparkle, we had planned to do WW on Sunday and were going to see if you and your guy could show us some of the new lift terrain. But we decided it might also be a bit toasted so went east to Creston for our Sis's birthday dinner tonight.

Will give a heads up next time in the area. Lots of pow season left!

Probably good call. The rockies are the place to be this weekend. I'm at Red tomorrow anyways.

We hit WW today for our first adventure here. Very nice layout and a lot of terrain covered by two lifts. Top of glory was real nice but did get a little manked out on the lower elevations. Fun day. Hitting valhalla tomorrow. Any kind delivery services in nelson?
    Red-i-XS

Yo, sup? Anyone been up to Rogers lately. Seems a lil deadsville in here. Is it that bad? Days off approaching

Today would be pretty unreal up there I bet. All my partners were unavailable... I hope this sun doesn't affect things.

Re: Red

The place got pretty wrecked by the friday/saturday wetness and rain, such that it needs either serious sun or serious snowfall to be good. I was there sat, sun, mon. Saturday was slushy and fun. Sunday featured wonderful bits of pow on the highest leeward terrain, followed by the worst bone-jarring ice-"groomer" situation I've seen since my youth on the east coast, the rest of the way back to Motherlode. I managed a handful of laps before deciding that I was really in danger of losing a filling and/or all of my remaining knee cartilage. Monday featured some sun-softened joy on Paradise and bone-jarring pain nearly everywhere else. Had I not been on a mini ski vacation visiting friends, I wouldn't likely have been quite so motivated to hit the slopes.

The winch cat was/is busted, so the grooming is less than it might be.

I still love that place.

BC mags: I'm at Monashee Powder Cats next week. Give it to me straight: How does the forecast look? Based on what I'm seeing it looks like some snow Sunday/Monday, but that's a bit far off. Based on this thread it sounds like without some new, I'm in for more drinking and photo taking than pow slaying, but I don't know shit about that neck of the woods. Thanks for any beta.

^Depends on the elevations they serve. You probably don't want to be paying to ski anything below 1600m.

Below 1650m in the Selkirks it rained. Above 1650m it snowed 120cms over 18hours.

The Monashees should have had that same freezing level.

The cold temps now should have sucked the moisture out of the snow that did fall

It could still be pretty good, very localized dumps in the past 4 days - 143cm @ mustang in last week.

Here is a link to a automated weather station that is about 20km south of monashees tenure - same range. http://bcrfc.env.gov.bc.ca/data/asp/...asp_1f03p.html (click on - Download current year's hourly real-time data*

Will give you a good idea on the temps, monashee pow gets a lot more snow. We got above freezing for a bit fri night but looking towards monashee's direction on the weekend the trees were caked above 1800m. They don't typically ski below 1600m (Lodge elevation).

Supposed to get a bit tonight.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Cool. Looking forward to It. Thanks for the tips.

Pretty bad, not recommended. About 170cm sitting on top of the Feb 12 layer from the pit we dug on the way to Bruins Pass yesterday near treeline. Freezing levels are all over the map for tomorrow so could be okay or could be terrible, tough to say.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	VideoPeakMarch5.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	1.79 MB 
ID:	134083  

I was hoping those clear nights might suck some moisture out. Report of skier triggered class 3 on South west facing slope of Cheops. Looks like just above balu. Careful all

Quote Originally Posted by Tutuko View Post
    Today would be pretty unreal up there I bet. All my partners were unavailable... I hope this sun doesn't affect things.
    Sure was nice in the valley. I was thinking the same thing.

Straight from the horses mouth from mona pow

"nuked(100) then pineappled(huge avi cycle) then around 30-40 leaving us luckily with great conditions above the lodge, a lot of dust on crust below as the snow amount tapers."

Currently snowing pretty good.

Couple shots from last weeks heli day with Kingfisher

Nicest tree spacing I have been in, 3000ft vert of this to valley bottom.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	28994_10152637076480584_2050774627_n.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	134134

Weapons of mass pow destruction

Name:	63228_10152637074765584_1531367661_n.jpg 
Views:	95 
Size:	148.3 KB 
ID:	134135

Ron Burgundy

Name:	559748_10152637074550584_1288582664_n.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	124.5 KB 
ID:	134136

Nice, hopefully it gets over to here tonight

Quote Originally Posted by el hefe View Post
    Straight from the horses mouth from mona pow

"nuked(100) then pineappled(huge avi cycle) then around 30-40 leaving us luckily with great conditions above the lodge, a lot of dust on crust below as the snow amount tapers."

Currently snowing pretty good.
    Best goddamn thing I've heard all day.

I'm planning a trip to Revelstoke/Nelson next week so I really appreciate all the conditions updates, folks.

Quote Originally Posted by Dromond View Post
    I'm planning a trip to Revelstoke/Nelson next week so I really appreciate all the conditions updates, folks.
    If you'll happen to be at RMR next Fri/Sat and want to share a chair/beer with a fellow travelling Seattlite, drop me a PM. Prolly not bringing touring stuff as I'm cat skiing that week, but perhaps could be convinced otherwise....

Death refreeze today at the pass, only got as far as 1300 or so and buddy had trouble sidehilling. Old refrozen class 1.5 slide had taken out the skin track just above the summer trail on McGill Shoulder, crazy tight trees for a slide zone. I'm guessing the only snow worth skiing is at least 1800m up