Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    My last jobsite was on a military base so it was EM385 and steel toe. The moment I got to my new site I bought some new non steel toe georgia boots. Feel amazing so far...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using TGR Forums
    Best Skier on the Mountain
    Self-Certified
    1992 - 2012
    Squaw Valley, USA

The whole steel-toe vs not steel toe debate depends on the kind of weights you are dealing with on the job site. I work in a really wet environment, on concrete all day, and the biggest thing I need to protect my little piggies from, weighs about 160.5 lbs. Drop that from a few feet up and it isn't going to do much to squash a steel toe.

Problem for me is, when I'm inside, I need non-slip. When I'm outside, in the snow/ice, slip resistant soles turn into "slip-persistent soles". I can barely stand on anything but flat ground.

steel toe is bad, Danner Rain forest FTW

From a safety point of view, I hear the "crushed toes" argument all the time on construction sites. If you look at the numbers and OSHA data it's the same kind of argument as:

1) I don't wear fall protection because I could get tangled in the harness and am more likely to slip.

2) I don't clip in on the boom lift because the straps get in the way and once I bumped the controls because I got tangled.

3) I don't wear my hard hat because when I duck under stuff I forget it's there and bang my head.

In other words, the one dumbass exception you can make up doesn't take away that the safety stuff is there for a reason and has generally been well studied to be effective.

Bump.

Looks like I am going to need a boot with a safety toe in it. I will be on the job site alot, but not in a trade worker capacity.

Looks like redwing, composite toe and hiker style are the way to go. And make sure I get the right width.

Anyone have a boot they are in love with?
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I've newly been converted to those Blundstone slip on boots. There's a hard toe model and they're comfortable, quick to put on and take off, and well made. I'm much happier with them than any hard toed hiker-style I've ever purchased. http://www.blundstone.com/au/work-sa...worklife-boots

Most important thing is to try them on in person.
    ::.:..::::.::.:.::..::.

Blundys also last a long time, the non safety models are considered stylish up here and very popular, even with non-Australians

http://www.jdsafetyservices.co.uk/du...ty-14665-p.asp

my fav for the bush ^^
    Lee Lau - xxx-er is the laziest Asian canuck I know

I think I prefer a lace up and definitely cannot wear anything insulated. My feet sweat to much.
    "These are crazy times Mr Hatter, crazy times. Crazy like Buddha! Muwahaha!"

I have three different pair of steel tied boots.

A pair of Ariats with composite toes. I bought them for wearing around the office and on the surface, but they are comfortable enough that I wear them about 363 days a year.

I have a pair of viking miner 49er rubber boots with steel toe, shank, and metatarsal guard. Great underground, and I used to wear them on the core drill as well.

Finally, I have a pair of those big green Dunlops that xxxer mentioned earlier. I wear these when it's fucking cold and I'm on the surface. They live in the tool box in my pickup in case shit goes downhill in winter.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using TGR Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Smoke
    Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post

Finally, I have a pair of those big green Dunlops that xxxer mentioned earlier. I wear these when it's fucking cold and I'm on the surface. They live in the tool box in my pickup in case shit goes downhill in winter.

Made of Ureathane foam NOT rubber so they insulate well, conform to the foot nicer and actually grip pretty well on downed trees SO > rubber in every way

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Made of Ureathane foam NOT rubber so they insulate well, conform to the foot nicer and actually grip pretty well on downed trees SO > rubber in every way
    Did I say they were rubber? Or are you just making a point for those who have never dealt with them?

I bought them while working up in your end of the world. Nothing better for cold conditions. A bit sweaty for warmer weather, even with Bama socks.

Cell phones are great in the backcountry. If you're injured, you can use them to play Tetris, which helps pass the time while waiting for cold embrace of Death to envelop you.

Quote Originally Posted by farmer View Post
    Did I say they were rubber? Or are you just making a point for those who have never dealt with them?

I bought them while working up in your end of the world. Nothing better for cold conditions. A bit sweaty for warmer weather, even with Bama socks.

I thot it was an important point to make that altho the boot looks like a rubber boot they definatley work better than rubber in every way, Marks WWW told me they sold a lot of those boots to the folks at Huckleberry mine, I use em in the field spring/summer/ fall, I usually wear a couple of wool socks to completely fill all the space in the boot for more support running up/down hills with the rod or whatever and yeah they can get a little sweaty but hey we are working

Hugh Conway Guest
    Blundys also last a long time
    blundy's are nice to slip on/off, not bad if you aren't walking much, but they don't last a long time. chintzy inners.

I supose ymmv but my first pair lasted somewhere between 10-15 yrs and I am still wearing them, the mostly one piece leather bonded to a sole was great for walking around in slush for 5 months of the year

but more importantly up here at least they are THE go to boot for boys & girls to pair with their arcterxy outer wear for looking hip at starbucks

There's Starbucks in Smithers?!?

Shit. The war's over, they won.
    And I guess that I just don't know

Hugh Conway Guest
    I supose ymmv but my first pair lasted somewhere between 10-15 yrs and I am still wearing them, the mostly one piece leather bonded to a sole was great for walking around in slush for 5 months of the year

but more importantly up here at least they are THE go to boot for boys & girls to pair with their arcterxy outer wear for looking hip at starbucks
    yeah, I bought them a year and a half ago and they are dying. thanks for the usual bullshit spiel

well there is a starbucks in the safeway but its not a real starbucks

and by up here I mean Canada or at least western Canada cuz those fucking easterners all drink tim hortons and wear felt packs

fuck I should be getting some kind of a spancered deal from those fucking aussies if I have to stomach this shit from HC but I should just be happy he finds the time to post on this important thread

Char,

Here's my 2 cents. Steel, comp or alloy toe, difference weight wise is like 50grams from heaviest (steel) to lightest which is actually alloy. basically i wouldn't base my decision on the safety toe. They'll all protect your toes to the same extent as they're certified to. Most likely ASTM since you're in the US.

If you're going to be doing a ton of walking go for lighter weight boots. If more standing go for all day comfort which will be heavier.

Like any footwear, try a few different brands on, and see what fits best/is the most comfortable.

I make safety boots, so if you want, PM me and I can suggest something that would work well for you.

well there is a starbucks in the safeway but its not a real starbucks

and by up here I mean Canada or at least western Canada cuz those fucking easterners all drink tim hortons and wear felt packs

fuck I should be getting some kind of a spancered deal from those fucking aussies if I have to stomach this shit from HC but I should just be happy he finds the time to post on this important thread
    it's real if you believe it and the jibber from hc.

old blundys are good, new blundys are crap.
    the old pair I had lasted 15yrs before wearing a hole in the sole, everything else was fine.
    new ones last 2yrs, crap leather, crap rubber, crap quality, crap feel, crap fit.

Sadly the same is true for many brands.

Ariats used to be a really great boot, but seems that since they've been made in China, the quality has gone way down. My last pair didn't even make it a year before the soles started cracking completely apart and the rest of the boot pretty much fell apart around it.

That said, I just bought another pair of Ariat pull ons because they are still fantastically comfortable boots. I tried on a ton of pairs and was unpleasantly surprised a the total inconsistency within sizes. I finally found a pair that fit just right and just bit the bullet. I wanted a made in 'Merica or Mexico, but couldn't find a single pair of safety toe boots anywhere. And that was stopping by every major store in Bozeman and Billings on my way to work.

I know Double-H makes a great boot, but couldnt find them in steel/comp toe anywhere. I KNOW they make them but had no luck finding them this time around. Would've held out until I found a pair, but needed them stat for work. Oh well.

My new Ariats are comfy indeed, but already look like crap after only 2 weeks. Leather tore up WAY too easily. Thinner leather appareny. Not cool for being as pricey as they are. Not that I mind spending money on a good pair of boots, but I at least want a nearly $200 pair to last longer than this. I'd spend upwards of $300-400 if I knew they'd last.

Anybody know of a good brand of pull on safety toe boot that's made in America/Mexico/Italy, or any other place where people actually make QUALITY leather products? Apparently, I'm already going to need to save up for my next pair.

In the last 12 months Red Wing has resumed their US production on most of their boots...right here in Minnesota. Their Irish Setter line is still predominantly made overseas with a few exceptions. I'm a local buying guy so this is great news for me. That and I drive by their factory store when I fly fish so I always get to stop and smell the leather.

Five minutes into the drive and you're already driving me crazy...

whenever I can I reach for my blundys. had them 2 yrs and no issues. often covered in brine or road sand/salt. been pothole patching now and have collace/oil all over them. just scaped them off. couldn't bare to wear the old boots(Dakota) . blundys are just way more comfy with both footbeds in. winter I've been happy with the wolverines. vibram sole is great on slippery shit and they're soft and comfy on the inside(insert vag joke). leather seems to cut fairly ez though. Dakotas have lasted but slippery in snow and not super comfy. steap n cheap has had great deals on wolverines. tempted by the pull ons but those dunlops would prob be the best additions for those deep/wet days

Quote Originally Posted by AustinFromSA View Post
    Sadly the same is true for many brands.

Ariats used to be a really great boot, but seems that since they've been made in China, the quality has gone way down. My last pair didn't even make it a year before the soles started cracking completely apart and the rest of the boot pretty much fell apart around it.

That said, I just bought another pair of Ariat pull ons because they are still fantastically comfortable boots. I tried on a ton of pairs and was unpleasantly surprised a the total inconsistency within sizes. I finally found a pair that fit just right and just bit the bullet. I wanted a made in 'Merica or Mexico, but couldn't find a single pair of safety toe boots anywhere. And that was stopping by every major store in Bozeman and Billings on my way to work.

I know Double-H makes a great boot, but couldnt find them in steel/comp toe anywhere. I KNOW they make them but had no luck finding them this time around. Would've held out until I found a pair, but needed them stat for work. Oh well.

My new Ariats are comfy indeed, but already look like crap after only 2 weeks. Leather tore up WAY too easily. Thinner leather appareny. Not cool for being as pricey as they are. Not that I mind spending money on a good pair of boots, but I at least want a nearly $200 pair to last longer than this. I'd spend upwards of $300-400 if I knew they'd last.

Anybody know of a good brand of pull on safety toe boot that's made in America/Mexico/Italy, or any other place where people actually make QUALITY leather products? Apparently, I'm already going to need to save up for my next pair.
    I forget the name, but there is a boot company that makes their boots in Bozeman. Not sure if they make steel toed boots or not.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Schnees? don't think they have steel toes made by them. White's does, but they are $$$$. Russel Moccasin is, again, $$$ and doesn't do steel toes either. But could be wrong on anything or everything, ymmv