Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    The greatest N. New Mexico resort in Colorado

More this ski/that ski: 115mm waist, tip rocker, flat tail, ~30m radius...

Tis the season, and I'm wishing I was in the market for new gear. Thus:

My Atlases are too fat for 90% of powder days; they mainly get used for sno-mo access, and I love them for what they are, but I'm lacking a resort-type pow stick. Have the LP 105, which is a phenomenal ten-inch-to-crud all-mountain ski, but I would like something more in the 110-115mm realm for resort pow days, day tours, "sidecountry"-ing, blah, blah... Basically, a very traditional fat ski with tip rocker. I enjoy muscling skis around, but would like this to be a little lighter for access purposes. Although we all wish we skied nipple-deep blower everyday, these will be skied in variable conditions whil searching for powder. In my dream world, these would be mounted with a shiny new pair of Guardians.

For reference, I'm 6'3, 195, racer. I like to go fast and jump off of stuff.

There are certainly plenty of skis that fit in this range, but many of them have too much sidecut for my tastes, or too much tail rocker for my purposes, or are big floppy donkey dicks. Want some camber underfoot and through the tail, don't want a twin, prefer stability to weight savings. Just wanted to compile a list and discuss. What say ye?

Movement Super Turbo (skied a couple runs on hardpack and liked the feel, but have no time on them in different conditions)
    Moment JagShark (No experience with these except fondling them, feel a tad soft)
    192 Bro (throwing it out there, I've only hand-flexed these, never ridden them)
    DPS Lotus 120 (Great skis. Would like to go with the 200, making them prohibitively expensive)
    Liberty Variant? (does anyone even ski liberty? Saw these at SIA, interesting specs, questioning the implementation)
    Katana (didn't care too much for the previous iterations, haven't skied the ELP version, wholly unimpressed with the new gotama)
    Why didn't Dynastar make a Cham 117?
    For that matter, why don't any of the major manufacturers make this ski (*ahem*lighter RC112*ahem*)? I need full rocker for half the day about three days a year.

Comments?
    Last edited by ZomblibulaX; 09-09-2012 at 11:16 PM.

D-star legend 115? or big dump?

Quote Originally Posted by mntlion View Post
    D-star legend 115? or big dump?
    I liked the 115, the three runs I got to ski it. But it is a damn heavy ski in a 186. Something else about having cake and eating it, too...

if the aim is for pow performance you may consider the 191 fat or 196 lhasa instead of a 192 bro?

^^^^Yar, 191 fat may be a better option. I put the 192 on there because its the one i actually have face time with. And i like the idea of a lightweight comp ski, a charger you can throw around.

Perhaps I was unclear, but i've got a super-fat pow ski, I keep thinking I would like something less floaty for inbounds pow days and skinning without stepping all over my tails. The atlases are great, but you can't buy a face shot in less than fifteen inches of snow on those babies. I'm in the south San Juans, and conditions vary pretty wildly. Pow is preferred but its not always on the menu.

The 192 is definitely a hard chargin trench carver that loves the pow.
    You know you're on it and will be focusing on the feel of it's every nuance.
    The 191 Fat is a little more surfy, more forgiving, but will still get up on edge to track carves nicely.
    Waists are 114.5 and 117, iirc.

192 would be more up my alley then. I skied my old blizzard titan pro's till they started falling apart, always wished they had made that ski fatter and just a hair softer up front.

Seriously, a lighter 112RC would pretty much suit my needs.

191 wrenegade. done.
    Do I detect a lot of anger flowing around this place? Kind of like a pubescent volatility, some angst, a lot of I'm-sixteen-and-angry-at-my-father syndrome?

fuck that noise.

gmen.

196 Blizzard Bodacious?
    191 ON3P Wrenegade?

Quote Originally Posted by ZomblibulaX View Post
    My Atlases are too fat for 90% of powder days
    YES. I wish Atomic just kept the Atlas's waist at 115 for all lengths.

Why didn't Dynastar make a Cham 117?
    Fuck yes. The gap in the lineup is really weird.

Faction 13? 112mm waist, 46m radius, flat tail, tip rocker, stiff. Looks like they don't have weights online any more but email them.

Seriously, a lighter 112RC would pretty much suit my needs.
    The 191 On3p wren is pretty dam close to this.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

I skied the Jag Sharks 3 days last month in Chile. Loved em. A tad soft yeah, but very versatile. You would find the 182 too short.
    I'm 55 and a good skier but nothing special.

I picked up a pair of Nordica Girish's last fall-tele-demos with light use for $225- Read Blister's review of it-haven't skied them yet, but I think they'll rip. Tip rocker, camber, flat tail, wood, metal, made in Austria at the Blizzard factory. I'm throwing a pair of Dukes on them soon-to be used for what you describe.
    -Might be one to look into if you can find them (139-110-129).

I'd also consider the Movement Trust in a 194. A tad narrow in the waist (108mm) but similar tip (141mm) and tail (129mm) to other skis on your list. They have a bit less tip rocker than the Super Turbo but are stiffer and lighter. I haven't weighed my 194's but a few different websites claim 4400g for the pair. The flat tails are a nice plus for an ex racer. I have them set up with p14's and MFD Alltimes as a one ski quiver. Overall they are a great hard charging ski at a reasonable weight. From bottomless pow to blasting through crud, I highly recommend them.
    Martha's just polishing the brass on the Titanic....

VPM: Yep, i knew i forgot something. Sounds like exactly what i'm looking for, though i haven't so much as seen a pair of on3p's in my neck of the woods. I'll check out the review threads.

XavierD: i liked the bodacious, but it sort of lines up more with what i like the atlas for. Its a great ski, just didn't have the feel i was looking for. I really enjoy everything about a traditionally cambered ski in basically every condition. If my lp 105's were 110 underfoot, i likely wouldn't be entertaining the notion of another ski in the quiver.

Bovine: i had the supercharger blower when it came out in '06, same ski with that ridiculous upturned tail. It was great for the one day at alta i had before i bent the living shit out of them. Thank goodness for warranty returns. I'm leaning more towards the lighter, less metal end of the spectrum, see how it goes.

Milkman: the trust certainly piqued my interest last year, but i kinda feel like its doing the same thing as the lp105 i already have. That, and la sportiva shit-canned movement's NA distribution this year.

Bambam: i told the rep the same thing at sia; seems like they missed the boat leaving that gap in the line.

Thanks for the input!

195 4FRNT HOJI would be right up your alley. Only 112 underfoot, but otherwise pretty much what you're looking for.

the 192 bro is an amazing blend of power pop stability and charge-y pow performance in a lightweight package.
    one step forward, no step backward

If you could step the waist width up to 122, you could go with a 4frnt Renegade. Or just go with the Hoji if you want smaller
    [insert original, witty, and/or meaningful signature statement here]

Get the Moment Bibby Special (not the Pro).

Having skied the renegade, I don't think it is what he is looking for.

Z- I think you would really like the all carbon 191 fats. If you are willing to sacrifice a bit of weight IOT save some cash take a real hard look at the 191 Wrenegade, it will also be a bit damper than the 191 Fat. . It will still be significantly lighter than what you are used to skiing. I'd give the guys at On3p a call and see if there will be any shops in your neck of the wood carring the skis this winter.

^^ I'm torn on this one. As much as I love the Rens, I can understand that they aren't exactly what the OP is looking for since he already has the Atlases. I honestly take them out all the time in the resort, even when there isn't a ton of new snow. Damn, those skis to charge the shit out of chop. They don't like to be driven from the tip, which might be hard for the OP to get used to given his racing background, but I have never found their speed limit. I would personally take them over the 191 Fat for the conditions the OP is talking about, but I know XavierD disagree with this. [It's really hard to get rid of personal bias in this, but, as I've said before, it took me a while to come around to liking the skis (like almost a half a day). After the first run on them, I was actually wondering how much I could get for them in Gear Swap. For reference, XavierD only had 1 run on my pair before we had to quit for the day. I certainly glad he takes the time to post a dissenting opinion, and I wouldn't presume to say it will change, I'm just tossing it out there. The skis require a stance that some people find intuitive and love immediately, some people take some time to come around (like I did), and I'm sure some people never really love.]

The Wrenegades would probably be a pretty safe bet. Haven't skied them, but I really like the feel and heft of the ON3P skis for busting crud (well, the time I've spend on them anyway, which isn't enough.) And if they're not stiff enough, I bet you could get Scott to make you an absurdly stiff pair.

I don't know if you've actually skied the L120s, but frankly I find it hard to believe they're on your list. I felt like they were too soft for what you want, given everything else you mentioned in the post. And I actually wouldn't recommend the all-carbon version 191 Fat because they're just too light and not quite damp enough to handle chop in the resort (for my taste). While the all-carbon make excellent touring sticks, I bet a stiff version in the hybrid construction would be pretty awesome for your purposes. Haven't skied the 192 Bro though, so no comment there. Oh, and I'm 5'11", 165# and I don't think I could flex a stiffer ski than the pair I have.

Other ones to consider:
    194 D-Sender
    Praxis 189 RX in stiff construction w/ tip rocker only.

Hope this was somewhat helpful.
    Last edited by auvgeek; 09-10-2012 at 12:07 AM.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

this might be what you are looking for perhaps?
    http://www.evo.com/skis/icelantic-seeker.aspx

it says on the evo site that these are partial twin tips but believe me, they are not. lots of camber extends from the end of the generously rockered tip all the way to the flat tail.

138-112-123, 32m radius

Downskis! Check out the CD3, fun and agile charger with 115mm waist. They got a presale ending this week... www.downskis.com

Quote Originally Posted by lrn2swim View Post
    this might be what you are looking for perhaps?
    http://www.evo.com/skis/icelantic-seeker.aspx

it says on the evo site that these are partial twin tips but believe me, they are not. lots of camber extends from the end of the generously rockered tip all the way to the flat tail.

138-112-123, 32m radius
    They're nice, but definitely not a crud buster to me, I prefer a Wren over these for that sort of skiing. If you're looking for directional crud busting and want to keep it in the boutique side of things the Wren is a hot ticket. Why not an older model EHP? Bit too much ski for a lot of people with a sizable turn radius. Moment Governor this year http://www.backcountryfreeskier.com/...eride-ski.html but it'll set you back for sure and might be a tad too floaty for you.

The Hoji is fun but not a ski I like to bust crud with, full on rocker shape makes it a tad squirelly when its mashed taters out there, prefer the Renegade for that jazz.

I would get the Wren...
    Last edited by StopMakingSense; 09-10-2012 at 07:50 AM.
    If you can't dig it, you ain't got no shovel