Best 100mm last boot?

Lange RX vs Tecnica Demon 130? Anyone tried these together? I'm also tempted to go try a Dalbello Scorpion 110 - any fit thoughts on that boot? I have searched but nothing on the demon.

I am currently in a Lange RS 130 (97 last) but they also make a RS 130 Wide in a 100 last. I love my Langes, best boot I have ever owned by far. Whoever they used for a model for their last has the exact same foot as me.

Not sure, but I think the only difference between the RS and RX models is the replacable rubber sole pads on the RX. The RS is just plastic.
    "Zee damn fat skis are ruining zee piste !" -Oscar Schevlin

"Hike up your skirt and grow a dick you fucking crybaby" -what Bunion said to Harry at the top of The Headwaters

red boots are the best by far.

Julia Mancuso says go with blue Lange boots.
    Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    if you have to resort to taking advice from the nitwits on this forum, then you're doomed.

^^^ i would definetly do what she says.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Alright I just ordered $1500 worth of boots (at employee cost) and I'm going to try them all on and return all but one. I will report back on the sizing and whatever flex notes I can provide at room temperature.

I've been skiing a Lange RS 130 for the past 3 seasons and I love the way it skis but I can't buckle the foot no matter how much work I have done on the boot so I think it will be nice to get the extra 2mm in the shell (my Lange's are the older 98 last not the new 97). The Dalbellos are also a 98 but I wanted to try them anyways since they are getting reviewed as a pretty cool boot. So I'm going to be trying out the Lange RX 130, the XT 120, the Dalbello Scorpion 110 and the Technica Demon 130.

I've been skiing the Scorpion for about the last week. I have a pretty big foot, so have had a bit of work done on 5th toe area. Love the boot though.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Please refrain from talking about ski boots in tech talk.

I've demoed the Demon 130 and the RX130, but I'll throw in a couple other boots I also considered similar fitting, based on that these two boots have in common beyond 100mm last, is a taller/bigger instep to width ratio. First, a little data on my fit issues will give you perspective on my experience with these boots, and most importantly help you relate to my experience:

I have a medium width foot (99mm unweighed & 102mm weighted), a medium volume shaft w/ high calf muscle, short toes (my Calcaneus to Metatarsal measures nearly a whole shoe size larger than what my length actually measures), but my problem fit is that my instep is proportionately larger than my otherwise medium foot.

Bottom line issue: most medium fit boots crush my instep and the larger fit boots don't crush my instep, but are then too sloppy of a fit elsewhere.

Demon 130:
    I had solid pressure on the met head width, solid pressure on the end of the big toe, which would require pushing out the met head width of the boot and a toe grind. The instep was very light pressure and would lead to a loose instep after break-in. The Demon was a stiffer boot than the RX.

Overall: This boot was an anomaly in my boot fitting experience, solid pressure on width, but very light pressure on the instep.

RX 130:
    This boot is the best out of the box fit I've ever demoed for my foot! Perfect amount of support and pressure throughout the boot, with a slight amount of extra room in the toe box. The 130 flex is a stretch to say the least and is temperature sensitive on flex. The stance/forward lean is more upright and tall. The Demon 130 has a more aggressive forward lean.

Overall: I doubt I would ever require any boot work with the exception of canting, footbed, and spoiler.

RS 130 WIDE:

This shell is the exact same mold as the RX 130, but is noticeably stiffer than the translucent RX 130 and stiffer than the Demon 130. The cuff material is actually a different material: mono-injected Polyether shell/cuff vs. translucent Polyether shell/ Polyurethane cuff. This is a true 130 flex boot in my opinion. The liner is more solid/stiff than the plush RX liner and would probably require more break-in time, but will probably outlast. My experience is that the plush liners have the best out of the box fit, but at a long-term loss in durability. I'm not stating this as fact between the RS vs. RX liners, but just an expectation on my part from previous experience.

Overall: The RS WIDE and RX fit the same and just boils down to softer vs. stiffer flex.

Fischer Progessor 130:
    I had noticeable pressure on the met head width and toe box. I would give a 50/50 chance that it would have gone away after liner break-in. If not, it would only require a slight push put on width and a slight toe grind. The instep fit was near perfect, but I had too much pressure on the navicular, that would require a mild punch. The flex was stiffer than the RX and slightly softer than the Demon. The shell is offset, a feature I personally like, but can also adapt and live without. The forward lean was more than the RX.

Overall: If the RX and RS WIDE were not made/available, this would be the boot I would go with after shell work.

Final thoughts on my new boots:

I will initially go with the RX 130 or the RS 130 WIDE. For a while now, I've skied in two different boots. Same shell molds, but a softer and stiffer flex. On soft blower powder days, I prefer a softer flex boot and a stiffer boot for heavy fresh snow and hard conditions. Most likely, I'll eventually have both models, but I just want to start with one first and put some time in the saddle with it, before I invest in both. I just need to decide which one to go with first.

RX 130 Pro: The softer flex and more upright lean will be great on rocker skis in blower powder. More comfortable to hike in and for easy going family days.

RX 130 Con: In hard aggressive conditions I will at times over power the boot.

RS 130 WIDE Pro: Will be able to match aggressive skiing in hard/heavy conditions.

RS 130 WIDE Con: I'm not fully convinced of the more upright lean in hard/heavy condition skiing and carving. Time in the saddle will just determine if I can adapt to this new upright stance. Again, I don't like a stiff flex boot in blower powder that locks me into a one dimensional stance and flex position.

In closing, I'm leaning towards to RS 130 WIDE and would most likely be in boot nirvana if the RS & RX had a an offset shell!

Cheers!

I went for the RS 130 Wide. Totally agree with your thoughts based on trying these all on at room temp. I have been told that the RX will stiffen up nicely in the cold and nearly or fully match the flex of the RS boot.

Also, I agree on the Tecnica. We must have similar feet but I never thought I'd find a boot that was roomy through the midfoot. For me, the boot was also a touch long, but I have a hard time thinking I can take my size 11 foot down to a 26.5 boot for a freeski (non-race) boot. That boot fit really weird.

Have you looked at the Nordica Firearrow? 100 last boot with a 3 piece shell/3 buckle system that is cake to get on/off in the cold, and just as easy to buckle up. Rode the F3 last season, but will switch to the stiffer F1 this year. FWIW, it fits my foot really well and the only work I did was add some heel lifts and pull out the spoilers to accomodate my thick calfs. Can't speak towards how it fits vs. the boots you mentioned above, but I had tried on either the 98mm Bonafide or Bodacious, forget which, and had a bear of a time trying to get them on and buckled at room temperature, and would've had to get a lot of work done on them to fit right once in. Couldn't be happier with the fit and performance of the Firearrows after last season.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR11 View Post
    Have you looked at the Nordica Firearrow? 100 last boot with a 3 piece shell/3 buckle system that is cake to get on/off in the cold, and just as easy to buckle up. Rode the F3 last season, but will switch to the stiffer F1 this year. FWIW, it fits my foot really well and the only work I did was add some heel lifts and pull out the spoilers to accomodate my thick calfs. Can't speak towards how it fits vs. the boots you mentioned above, but I had tried on either the 98mm Bonafide or Bodacious, forget which, and had a bear of a time trying to get them on and buckled at room temperature, and would've had to get a lot of work done on them to fit right once in. Couldn't be happier with the fit and performance of the Firearrows after last season.
    The F1 is getting a redesign this year. I believe they are changing the tongue design and the footboard. As hard as I tried to like that boot last season, I HATED the way the top of the boot felt on my shin, from the F1 down to the F4. I feel like Nordica cut the boot too short, and I get the same feeling on this years Patron Pro.

I skied the Bonafide 26.5 last season. I also found it to be too roomy in the instep, a bit wider then some other 98 lasted boots, and also a touch long. I am planning on going to an Atomic Burner 130 this season.

Quote Originally Posted by Wunderkind View Post
    Alright I just ordered $1500 worth of boots (at employee cost) and I'm going to try them all on and return all but one. I will report back on the sizing and whatever flex notes I can provide at room temperature.
    I hope , for all the shop rats out there, that you didn't do this through a 'special' form. More people doing this and 'special' forms start getting weaker / going away.

whatever works for ya though.

edit

Good call Wired2theT. Guess i'm the idiot here
    Last edited by avitas; 09-11-2012 at 05:31 PM.

^Shop employee forms? If something like that were to exist I would think talking about them too much could have negative impact. Think of it like the first rule of fight club. If such a thing were to exist I would think there would be pretty strict no return policies (in my experience or lack there of).
    Quote Originally Posted by bite me View Post
    Texas is better than Hell? Maybe I'm not familiar enough with Hell, but it would be hard to imagine it being worse than Texas.

Quote Originally Posted by mountaingoat View Post
    I've demoed the Demon 130 and the RX130, but I'll throw in a couple other boots I also considered similar fitting, based on that these two boots have in common beyond 100mm last, is a taller/bigger instep to width ratio. First, a little data on my fit issues will give you perspective on my experience with these boots, and most importantly help you relate to my experience:

I have a medium width foot (99mm unweighed & 102mm weighted), a medium volume shaft w/ high calf muscle, short toes (my Calcaneus to Metatarsal measures nearly a whole shoe size larger than what my length actually measures), but my problem fit is that my instep is proportionately larger than my otherwise medium foot.

Bottom line issue: most medium fit boots crush my instep and the larger fit boots don't crush my instep, but are then too sloppy of a fit elsewhere.

Demon 130:
    I had solid pressure on the met head width, solid pressure on the end of the big toe, which would require pushing out the met head width of the boot and a toe grind. The instep was very light pressure and would lead to a loose instep after break-in. The Demon was a stiffer boot than the RX.

Overall: This boot was an anomaly in my boot fitting experience, solid pressure on width, but very light pressure on the instep.

RX 130:
    This boot is the best out of the box fit I've ever demoed for my foot! Perfect amount of support and pressure throughout the boot, with a slight amount of extra room in the toe box. The 130 flex is a stretch to say the least and is temperature sensitive on flex. The stance/forward lean is more upright and tall. The Demon 130 has a more aggressive forward lean.

Overall: I doubt I would ever require any boot work with the exception of canting, footbed, and spoiler.

RS 130 WIDE:

This shell is the exact same mold as the RX 130, but is noticeably stiffer than the translucent RX 130 and stiffer than the Demon 130. The cuff material is actually a different material: mono-injected Polyether shell/cuff vs. translucent Polyether shell/ Polyurethane cuff. This is a true 130 flex boot in my opinion. The liner is more solid/stiff than the plush RX liner and would probably require more break-in time, but will probably outlast. My experience is that the plush liners have the best out of the box fit, but at a long-term loss in durability. I'm not stating this as fact between the RS vs. RX liners, but just an expectation on my part from previous experience.

Overall: The RS WIDE and RX fit the same and just boils down to softer vs. stiffer flex.

Fischer Progessor 130:
    I had noticeable pressure on the met head width and toe box. I would give a 50/50 chance that it would have gone away after liner break-in. If not, it would only require a slight push put on width and a slight toe grind. The instep fit was near perfect, but I had too much pressure on the navicular, that would require a mild punch. The flex was stiffer than the RX and slightly softer than the Demon. The shell is offset, a feature I personally like, but can also adapt and live without. The forward lean was more than the RX.

Overall: If the RX and RS WIDE were not made/available, this would be the boot I would go with after shell work.

Final thoughts on my new boots:

I will initially go with the RX 130 or the RS 130 WIDE. For a while now, I've skied in two different boots. Same shell molds, but a softer and stiffer flex. On soft blower powder days, I prefer a softer flex boot and a stiffer boot for heavy fresh snow and hard conditions. Most likely, I'll eventually have both models, but I just want to start with one first and put some time in the saddle with it, before I invest in both. I just need to decide which one to go with first.

RX 130 Pro: The softer flex and more upright lean will be great on rocker skis in blower powder. More comfortable to hike in and for easy going family days.

RX 130 Con: In hard aggressive conditions I will at times over power the boot.

RS 130 WIDE Pro: Will be able to match aggressive skiing in hard/heavy conditions.

RS 130 WIDE Con: I'm not fully convinced of the more upright lean in hard/heavy condition skiing and carving. Time in the saddle will just determine if I can adapt to this new upright stance. Again, I don't like a stiff flex boot in blower powder that locks me into a one dimensional stance and flex position.

In closing, I'm leaning towards to RS 130 WIDE and would most likely be in boot nirvana if the RS & RX had a an offset shell!

Cheers!

A rare tech talk post with detail that is actually useful! Interested to hear your thoughts on the forward lean after you ski em. I would have already bought the RS 130 wides if not for how relaxed the stance looks.

Finstah Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by El Chupacabra View Post
    Julia Mancuso says go with blue Lange boots.
    Probably not anymore, I think she is using Head boots now...

But the Lange RP boot is indeed bad to the bone.

Quote Originally Posted by MRR11 View Post
    So you had a harder time getting a 98mm boot on and buckled than a 100mm boot? Weird... I guess comparing it to a daemon or Cochise would have been to logical. I had a hard time getting some 95mm Doberman's on my EE foot with a moster of an instep, must be a bad boot...
    At least you got the boot of the GSA.