Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Or keep the 100 series and mod it out? Can't go wrong with either way except you will be paying a lot more for the 4runner.

Stolen from ih8mud:

Quote Originally Posted by Arty50 View Post
    I'm going to have to disagree on that one.

The Gen4s all had full-time 4WD systems. The V8s were full-time 4WD only. The V6s had a multi-mode switch that allowed you to switch them from full-time 4WD to 2WD to save on gas. Either way, you could run them in 4WD all the time.

The Gen5s come with part-time cases in most models and full-time in the limited package. So you can't just leave them in 4WD and forget about it. If you're driving from high elevation snowy roads back to low elevation dry pavement, you have to remember to hit the switch back to 2WD or risk killing your t-case and drivetrain. Sorry, but that's a step back and pretty lame if you ask me.
    This is just silly...my FJ is not full time 4WD...in fact I wanted a stick, but they were only available in full time 4WD and get 2 less MPG...but the auto is certainly nice off-road.

You can't remember to take your vehicle out of 4WD? Can you remember to keep oil in it and change that oil every once in a while? Full-time 4WD is just not needed any more with the traction control on these vehicles. Unless I re-wire my FJ...there is no hope of doing a donut in 2WD...it just won't let you. Guess what? I can't use my lockers and drive around in 4 - low everywhere I want...but I have never forgot to turn them off and switch once I was back on a dirt road!
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Dirt road vs rock crawling or giant muddy hill that would require lockers...which is pretty rare in these vehicles.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Quote Originally Posted by gretch6364 View Post
    This is just silly...my FJ is not full time 4WD...in fact I wanted a stick, but they were only available in full time 4WD and get 2 less MPG...but the auto is certainly nice off-road.

You can't remember to take your vehicle out of 4WD? Can you remember to keep oil in it and change that oil every once in a while? Full-time 4WD is just not needed any more with the traction control on these vehicles. Unless I re-wire my FJ...there is no hope of doing a donut in 2WD...it just won't let you. Guess what? I can't use my lockers and drive around in 4 - low everywhere I want...but I have never forgot to turn them off and switch once I was back on a dirt road!
    It's not silly at all. The fact of the matter is that they downgraded the capability of all of the 4Runners. Comparing like to like with the V6:

4th Gen: 2WD, Full-time 4WD Hi (center dif locked or unlocked), Full-time 4WD Low (center dif locked or unlocked)
    5th Gen: 2WD, Part-time 4WD Hi, Part-time 4WD Low

Very simply, the 4th Gen t-case had a lot more options and thus was more capable of being run however you want. Oh and believe me, there's a big difference between 4WD Hi with the center differential locked versus unlocked while driving on snow. I vastly prefer it being unlocked. As for donuts, who the hell cares. I haven't done one since high school.

Changing my oil is something I do every 5,000 miles per the manufacturer's spec. It doesn't matter much if I space on that and do it a couple of hundred miles late. Driving back from Tahoe to SF and forgetting to put the vehicle back in 2WD mode because I'm really tired from charging all day and dodging gapers on Tahoe roads does make a difference however. Driving for a couple hundred miles without a limited slip center differential is NOT good for the t-case.

Ultimately, I don't see how you can be arguing that going back to a less capable system is a good thing. But hey, to each their own. Oh, and if I want to do any real off-roading, I'll bust out my CJ-7 thankyouverymuch.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

It's not silly at all. The fact of the matter is that they downgraded the capability of all of the 4Runners. Comparing like to like with the V6:

4th Gen: 2WD, Full-time 4WD Hi (center dif locked or unlocked), Full-time 4WD Low (center dif locked or unlocked)
    5th Gen: 2WD, Part-time 4WD Hi, Part-time 4WD Low
    You sure about that last part? That seems a bit suspect that it wouldn't be a traditional 4WD transfer case...
    If you have something to cite, that would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reverend Floater View Post
    First Generations rule. Here's Wang, my hunting rig and daily driver. Great MPG and there's literally no where I can't get to in that little rice cooker. Attachment 120233
    I love first gen. A buddy has one that looks just like yours named Jezebelle. Lifted a bit, big diggers, he cut his fenders a bit. He's got a hard half top with a vinyl cover for the back if needed. Great auto.
    You are what you eat.
    ---------------------------------------------------
    There's no such thing as bad snow, just shitty skiers.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post
    You sure about that last part? That seems a bit suspect that it wouldn't be a traditional 4WD transfer case...
    If you have something to cite, that would be great.
    I'm guessing we're just having nomenclature differences. From what I understand, it is a traditional (aka. part-time) t-case. So you can select 2WD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Low, and I would assume Neutral. The difference between part-time and full-time is that the latter has a limited slip center differential to prevent binding. The new 4Runner only has a part-time case, unless you get the Limited model which steps up to full-time.
    "I knew in an instant that the three dollars I had spent on wine would not go to waste."

I'm midway through doing the headgasket on my 2nd gen and changing out everything I can as I rebuild it up from there. She's a creampuff if there ever was one though. 1990 with 86k OG miles as of now. I bike to work so mpg is not too much of an issue, though I average 20 for the drive to and from the mountain.

If I was you, I would sell the current wip to pay for mods on the next. Either way, it'll be a fun time in the 5th gen.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobcat Sig View Post

So now I have a 4Runner boner. Am I overthinking this by getting rid of the LC?

I have also considered a Tundra, though they are quite large and I don't need something that big. I've also considered Tahoes, but then again the whole American thing with reliability. I've owned a Tacoma, and while a sweet rig, no sunroof or heated seats just don't do it for me. Pathfinders and Frontiers are sort of 'meh.' Ford really doesn't have anything that blow my hair backwards, either.

[\sweetblog]

What does the collective have to say? Fool-hardy? Radness? Go fist yourself, you JONG?

And ... go.
    Yesterday I test drove a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2012 4Runner. I also test drove an F-150 and a Range Rover Evoque.

For $42k, I was impressed with the Grand Cherokee. It was a Laredo X with the 3.6 engine and leather. I went directly from that vehicle to the 4Runner. It was an SR5 with leather and was also $42k. My girlfriend, a die-hard Toyota fan girl, and I both came to the same conclusion: The 4Runner felt cheap compared to the JGC. Cheap, as in poorly-built and of a lower quality.

I used to have a '91 4Runner with over 300k miles. I trusted Toyota quality.

Now, if you're going to spend $40k on an SUV, I would encourage you to test drive other makes and models. I think you can get a higher-quality vehicle for the same price. That might not have been the case a few years ago, but I think other auto manufacturers have caught up.

I'm guessing we're just having nomenclature differences. From what I understand, it is a traditional (aka. part-time) t-case. So you can select 2WD, 4WD Hi, 4WD Low, and I would assume Neutral. The difference between part-time and full-time is that the latter has a limited slip center differential to prevent binding. The new 4Runner only has a part-time case, unless you get the Limited model which steps up to full-time.
    Yep. We use our 2003 gen 4 sport in 4 hi without worrying about frying the transfer case. Pretty nice feature. When off roading in 4 Lo it locks the center diff but the front and rear diff's remain open. When a wheel slips the traction control kicks in to keep you moving. Makes a lot of abs like noise but seems to work okay. I've never managed to get the hill decent assist to work properly on our truck but that seems kind of gimmicky anyway. From reading this thread it sounds like the gen 5 can be had with actual lockers which our sport does not have. We have street michelins and stock everything and it does okay for light to moderate off roading but can't touch heavier paths and roads.

We have 167k on our 4-Runner and it has been the best truck ever and has just now been given third car garage duty so that we can keep it around for ten or fifteen more years. It went to the shop once for a sunroof leak when it was new and that has been it. New front axles that I did easily myself, a couple of new front rotors and one front caliper, a new a/c relay, serpentine belt tensioner that got noisy, and lots of oil and lube. I know Toyota has done some cost cutting and fallen behind in interiors but comparing a 42k 4-Runner to a 42k Grand Cherokee is just crazy if you are going to keep them long term. I'd buy the Runner every single time. You could save money and buy a lightly used Gen 4 and have a perfectly good truck as well.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 09-09-2012 at 11:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneCold View Post
    Yesterday I test drove a 2012 Jeep Grand Cherokee and a 2012 4Runner. I also test drove an F-150 and a Range Rover Evoque.

For $42k, I was impressed with the Grand Cherokee. It was a Laredo X with the 3.6 engine and leather. I went directly from that vehicle to the 4Runner. It was an SR5 with leather and was also $42k. My girlfriend, a die-hard Toyota fan girl, and I both came to the same conclusion: The 4Runner felt cheap compared to the JGC. Cheap, as in poorly-built and of a lower quality.

I used to have a '91 4Runner with over 300k miles. I trusted Toyota quality.

Now, if you're going to spend $40k on an SUV, I would encourage you to test drive other makes and models. I think you can get a higher-quality vehicle for the same price. That might not have been the case a few years ago, but I think other auto manufacturers have caught up.
    I'll check it out. I know the new GCs have receive great marks on initial quality, but I've had a few GCs over the years and they get beat and Jeep doesn't have the best reliability reputation. In fact, the previous gen GC was hammered on that very fact. Part of the issues here is that I can be rough on my vehicles and I put nearly 30k a year on them as I chase storms, road trip and head back to Oregon to see family. I'm wondering if after three years and 90k that the GC and 4Runner will both hold up the same. And that says nothing for the resale values.
    Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Yep. We use our 2003 gen 4 sport in 4 hi without worrying about frying the transfer case. Pretty nice feature. When off roading in 4 Lo it locks the center diff but the front and rear diff's remain open. When a wheel slips the traction control kicks in to keep you moving. Makes a lot of abs like noise but seems to work okay. I've never managed to get the hill decent assist to work properly on our truck but that seems kind of gimmicky anyway. From reading this thread it sounds like the gen 5 can be had with actual lockers which our sport does not have. We have street michelins and stock everything and it does okay for light to moderate off roading but can't touch heavier paths and roads.

We have 167k on our 4-Runner and it has been the best truck ever and has just now been given third car garage duty so that we can keep it around for ten or fifteen more years. It went to the shop once for a sunroof leak when it was new and that has been it. New front axles that I did easily myself, a couple of new front rotors and one front caliper, a new a/c relay, serpentine belt tensioner that got noisy, and lots of oil and lube. I know Toyota has done some cost cutting and fallen behind in interiors but comparing a 42k 4-Runner to a 42k Grand Cherokee is just crazy if you are going to keep them long term. I'd buy the Runner every single time. You could save money and buy a lightly used Gen 4 and have a perfectly good truck as well.
    That's all good to know. Thank you. 4th gens are very difficult to find around here ... well, at least those that are spec'd properly. As you can imagine, people around here keep their 4Runners forever. Much like the Subaru crowd.

Ahh yes, semantics.
    I'm picking up what you're putting down.

Basically, it's the difference between what was on my old Tacoma and what is currently on my Land Cruiser.

Gen 4 with V8 would be my choice. The new six moves, but not like the V8. Spend the time to find one and you won't be disappointed.
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

keep the hundy or get a 25 year old land cruiser (so you can import a diesel).....I've had this a few months now and am digging it. I took this photo today....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	logs from brush piles.jpg 
Views:	152 
Size:	801.9 KB 
ID:	120448

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    Gen 4 with V8 would be my choice. The new six moves, but not like the V8. Spend the time to find one and you won't be disappointed.
    No doubt. My brother has a 4th gen with the v8, which I've driven frequently. It does get on the huss. But it just seems so much smaller and the new, more angular look is really growing on me. In regards to the new V6; in taking it for an extended test drive today at lunch, it doesn't go like a scare rabbit, but you're easily speeding if you're not watching your speedo.

Quote Originally Posted by Pow4Brains View Post
    If anyone's keeping count, I'm a big fan/happy owner of the Gen 4 4Runner. My 2003 has been faultless for 100k of mostly mountain driving. V6 though, but I'm kind of a grandma driver.

One thing about the gen 5's, you have to drop one of skid plates to change reach the oil filter. Seriously Toyota????

Got a 2004 gen 4 v6 with 106k. Drives like new, only normal maintenance so far.

Bobby Stainless Guest
    Sell current rig. Get a newer 100 Series.

As for donuts, who the hell cares. I haven't done one since high school
    really??? Half the fun of winter driving in a 4wd vehicle is leaving it in 2wd and doing donuts/breaking the rear out going around corners/etc!!

I'd also 2nd what somebody else said about looking into a Grand Cherokee. You're interested in the interior - the 'yota isnt even in the same sentence as the new GCs. As far as reliability goes, I wouldnt be surprised if a new Jeep is just as/more reliable as a new Toyota. GM has made big, big strides lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond Joe View Post
    I'd also 2nd what somebody else said about looking into a Grand Cherokee. You're interested in the interior - the 'yota isnt even in the same sentence as the new GCs. As far as reliability goes, I wouldnt be surprised if a new Jeep is just as/more reliable as a new Toyota. GM has made big, big strides lately.
    What does GM reliability (or lack there of) have to do with the Chrysler Group's reliability (or lack thereof)?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    What does GM reliability (or lack there of) have to do with the Chrysler Group's reliability (or lack thereof)?
    Uh, it has nothing to do with it. I'm just an idiot.

Either way, GM, Ford, and Chrysler have made huge improvements reliability-wise

Quote Originally Posted by Kevo View Post
    I wouldn't rule out the Tahoe if you can deal with the extra size. Good power, MPG, better fit and finish than the yotas and many go 250k the no issues.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using TGR Forums
    `•.¸¸.•´><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•.¸.? ??´¯`•...¸><((((º>

"Having been Baptized by uller his frosty air now burns my soul with confirmation. I am once again pure." - frozenwater

"once i let go of my material desires many opportunities for playing with the planet emerge. emerge - to come into being through evolution. ok back to work - i gotta pack." - Slaag Master

"As for Flock of Seagulls, everytime that song comes up on my ipod, I turn it up- way up." - goldenboy

what's the 5th gen 4Runner like for sleeping in? i.e. possible to build up a platform for the rear that would be level with the 2nd row seats folded down?

Sorry, while I think the toyos have a decent drivetrain, why in hell would you want a 4x4 that you can't take the roof off and fold the windshield down to get under low overhanging limbs, and a body that eventually turns to iron oxide????

Makes no sense to me.

I'm not keen on Land Cruisers, but since you already have a LC that you say has a bullet-proof drive-train, why not use it as a basis to do something really cool with?

Some good welding skills and some creativity and you could come up with a really interesting ride!!

Since you want new tires anyway, how about something like this:

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Sorry, while I think the toyos have a decent drivetrain, why in hell would you want a 4x4 that you can't take the roof off and fold the windshield down to get under low overhanging limbs, and a body that eventually turns to iron oxide????

Makes no sense to me.
    Because those "features" are useless driving through snow?