Page 1 of 21 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

2013 Tecnica Cochise boot line

Tried on the 2013 Cochise 130 Pro today, real nice boot though the liner seemed a bit soft and made me wonder how long it would take to pack out. Was looking to test-fit the Cochise Light (with Palau thermo liner), but Footloose in Mammoth only has the 130 Pro so far. The 130 Pro is definitely softer than a true 130 flex; the salesperson (Dave, super-helpful guy) had me try a Dalbello Scorpion 130 race boot for comparison and (at least at room temperature) the Dalbello is a whole lot stiffer. (The Scorpion is polyethylene, don't know what Tecnica "Triax" is made of.)

The Cochise tour mode was amazing, particularly swinging the cuff forward. Very smooth with hardly any resistance at all (the soft liner probably helps here), even with the upper buckles lightly attached. Didn't pay as much attention to the rearward range of motion as I should have...overlooked it.

I wear a US size 9 street shoe and normally a 26.5 ski boot, but in the Cochise/Demon it's a tough call between the 25.5 and the 26.5 for my foot. I measured an even 26.0 on the scale, with a 1.5 finger shell fit in the 26.5 and about half a finger in the 25.5. Unfortunately, out of the shell the 26.5 liner seemed a bit loose on my forefoot (could possibly wrinkle if the shell is tightened too much), and the 25.5 liner fit great but was a bit short. Also, on the 26.5 we tightened the lower buckles about half way into the range, which could be reduced with bontex shims under the liners, but it isn't ideal. With the liners installed the 26.5 felt really comfortable in the shop, which no doubt means they'll be too big after a few days use.

Decided to get the 25.5 in the Light model, since Marshall said the Palau liner is thin and thermo forming with thick toe caps should get me a bit more length. Just hope there's enough length to skin comfortably with the buckles loosened, I generally like my toenails right where they are.

Hope this completely unscientific ramble helps anybody thinking of mail ordering a pair of the new Cochise boots.

(EDIT: The Cochise Pro 130 uses the 98mm Inferno lower shell. The other Cochise models use the 100mm Demon lower shells.)
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 09-08-2012 at 11:02 PM.

Your description of the fit is spot on. Like you im torn between shell sizes. I wear a 11street shoe and walked out the door with 27.5s but have less than a finger. I have to go back to get them dialed but have doubts i will be able to punch the toes enough to have them not wreak havok on my nails while touring.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using TGR Forums

jerr is offline Underwater trapeze artist
    So what stiffness do you think the 2013 Cochise 130 Pro has?
    Nine out of ten Jeremy's prefer a warm jacket to a warm day

I ended up going with the bigger size on my 120s length wise than I wanted. They fit snug everywhere else though. To me how they fit in the instep area is more important.

Very helpful write-up.

Does anyone know (or know where I can find) the bootsole lengths for the Cochise - specifically the bsl of a mondo size 30?

The Scorpion 130 is the stiffest '130' boot I have ever put on my foot, for reference. Although the Cochise 130 Pro is still a bit softer than a Lange 130 XT @ 0 degrees C

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    The Scorpion 130 is the stiffest '130' boot I have ever put on my foot, for reference. Although the Cochise 130 Pro is still a bit softer than a Lange 130 XT @ 0 degrees C
    Agreed! Scorpion 130 is by far the stiffest boot you can buy off the shelf. Stiffer than most 150 flex plug boots that I've flexed. I'm sure there are people here who have stories about trying to get those suckers off when they're cold.

Haven't tried the Lange XT on in the cold but at room temp I thought it was wayyy softer than the Cochise 130 but couldn't try one on one foot and one on another as one leg was busted.

If you are between sizes and have a lower volume foot I would highly recommend going down. Any good boot fitter can get you a CM or more room lengthwise by stretching the toes. The Triax is very easy to punch (low heat slow punching) and it retains it's punch much better than PU. It's a bitch to grind as it's a PP based plastic and it just ends up melting unless you go incredibly slow. Punching is the way to go.

The lights will fit much larger than the 130s due to the 100 last and the super thin liner. If you have a narrow foot I would highly recommend trying this boot on first. The Palau liner is very thin! I'll let Marshall chime in on this but I'm pretty sure he went down to a 26.5 in the light.

If you're on a budget or want an inexpensive boot for your lady check out the Cochise 90s. They're crazy cheap ($399 MAP), you can put a tech sole on them, and In my opinion they ended up being a little stiffer than their "90 flex" rating. They're not overly light but a lot of that weight is in the liner. If you already have intuitions you can save a bunch of weight using them.

90 uses the same Triax plastic as the Light, 130 and 120.

Cochise 110 and 100 are PU.

Sorry for the Spam.

Quote Originally Posted by EpicSteeze View Post
    Very helpful write-up.

Does anyone know (or know where I can find) the bootsole lengths for the Cochise - specifically the bsl of a mondo size 30?
    Size 30.0 is 350mm

Quote Originally Posted by EpicSteeze View Post
    Very helpful write-up.

bsl for the 29 is 340. I assume the 30 would be a 350.

Sizing on this line is a bit goofy if you ask me, coming from non-technicas. Definitely try them on first.

Flexing in-store they definitely didn't feel like a 130 to me, but I've been sweating in flip-flops all summer so hard telling.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be an issue, but anyone know if replacing the buckle/powerstrap system with a booster strap be a problem?
    Drive slow, homie.

If you're on a budget or want an inexpensive boot for your lady check out the Cochise 90s. They're crazy cheap ($399 MAP), you can put a tech sole on them, and In my opinion they ended up being a little stiffer than their "90 flex" rating. They're not overly light but a lot of that weight is in the liner. If you already have intuitions you can save a bunch of weight using them.
    My GF tried on both the 90 and 100 and felt they flexed about the same. We ended up going with the 90 instead of the 100 because it was lighter and seemed sturdy than the pbex 100. Just some input for the ladies out there.

She put some intuition womens power wraps in them (godivas?) and it looks to be a pretty sweet set up for next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    bsl for the 29 is 340. I assume the 30 would be a 350.

Sizing on this line is a bit goofy if you ask me, coming from non-technicas. Definitely try them on first.

Flexing in-store they definitely didn't feel like a 130 to me, but I've been sweating in flip-flops all summer so hard telling.

I'd imagine it wouldn't be an issue, but anyone know if replacing the buckle/powerstrap system with a booster strap be a problem?
    the strap on last years 120 was pretty nice and beefy, why replace? just curious... I should have some 130s in a few weeks.
    www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

Quote Originally Posted by grskier View Post
    the strap on last years 120 was pretty nice and beefy, why replace? just curious...
    Because boosters give a nice, progressive flex. However, I think consensus was that replacing the booster strap on the Cochise or Cochise Pro isn't the best idea because of the way the buckle attaches and how the tightness of the top strap really influences the flex of the boot. It shouldn't be a problem on the Cochise Light though, just from looking at the pictures.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

i will link in this post to a blister review that details all this stuff, coming shortly.

i ran a booster strap on the 130 last season and preferred that to the stock, but would NOT put a booster on the light or 120.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Interesting... I just got a pair of Boosters to try to install them on my Cochise 120's to try to eliminate the shin bang I was experiencing last season. It's not technique, since I could switch mid-day to my Sally impact 10's (with elastic strap) and be fine. The Cochise strap seemed to always either be too loose or too tight with no elasticity. I was hoping the stretch of the Booster would cure this. We'll see.

the booster will soften the flex a little compared to the ratcheting buckle/strap thing, so on the cochise 120, i (personally) would not want to soften it, mainly because i am using a slightly softer liner (dreamliner) compared to my normal setup (powerwrap).

nothing wrong with a booster on there in general terms. easy to grind off the rivets, try them and put the stock bits back on of course.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

Thats shral, as always.

grskier - I just have been running a booster on every pair of boots the past 10 years...The buckle system is nice and certainly gets the cuff super tight, just figured i'd use a booster as always.....If it keeps things stiffer maybe I'll try the stock strap, defintely didn't feel a true 130 flex with it so maybe the booster might not be the call?
    Drive slow, homie.

z- would you use a zip fit liner? if so, that thing + 130 boot would be plenty stiff IMO, and adding a WC booster would be legit. the 130 stock liner is pretty nice, for sure. buts its nowhere near as stiff as a zip fit.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

In a perfect world if these could be one boot for all I would use my zipfits for alpine and short/medium tours, and stock liners for longer (or whenever I feel like lugging around an extra 5lbs)...I still haven't put in my order yet though....
    Drive slow, homie.

I ran some intuition power wraps with the stock buckle strap on my 120s last year. It took me a bit of time to dial in the strap thing, but once you get it set it's pretty convenient to be able to just flip it open for the walk mode without worrying about readjusting again. I'm over 200lbs and the stiffness on this set up was fine for me.

Just curious - comparatively how tall would you guys say the cuff is? I am looking to be in a cuff that is above my break this year.
    Chocolate? This is doodoo, BABY!

Quote Originally Posted by wasatchback View Post
    Scorpion 130 is by far the stiffest boot you can buy off the shelf. Stiffer than most 150 flex plug boots that I've flexed. I'm sure there are people here who have stories about trying to get those suckers off when they're cold.
    You aren't kidding, it took everything I had to just get my (high instep) foot into the Scorpion at room temp. Getting out was a bit easier, but it was still "might break bones in my feet forcing this" stiff.

Quote Originally Posted by XavierD View Post
    Good to know I'm not the one who thought that. I just bought the 110 scorpion as it seemed to flex pretty much the same as all the other 130s I tried on.SR 130 was ridiculous.
    My drinking buddies say i have a skiing problem...

Quote Originally Posted by Dside11-11 View Post
    Just curious - comparatively how tall would you guys say the cuff is? I am looking to be in a cuff that is above my break this year.
    I am going to try these on again before I commit, so I'll try to get you a comparison.

Have you seen those Lange 130s? Rubbery sole, walk mode, 97mm. Seem like your might dig those...
    Drive slow, homie.

dside - you will NOT be stoked skiing those XTs inbounds IMO. fine on the sled and luxury pow, for sure. but the walk mode does not create a rigid spine.
    Last edited by marshalolson; 09-05-2012 at 10:11 AM.
    go for rob

www.dpsskis.com

well,shows what I know. I though I heard they had some sort of cool locking mechanism...
    Drive slow, homie.