Anyone in SLC have a pickup I can rent for the winter?

So this is a strange request, but I'm wondering if the contingent can help me out. I'm considering taking a caretaking position at a house in Alta for this winter. The only issue is that I need a pickup truck to put a diesel refueling tank in the bed for the snowcat at the property. I don't own a pickup and don't really feel like buying registering and insuring a beater for 4.5 months of use.

I'm wondering if anyone in the Salt Lake area has a truck they would be willing to rent to me for this purpose. I have my own vehicle, so it would only be driven up and down LCC a couple times a month to refuel the snowcat, bring gas up for the snowmobiles, etc. I'm not sure what a reasonable rate is for this kind of thing, but if you've got a truck that you wouldn't miss for the winter, I'd like to hear about it. I can't see myself putting more than 300 or so miles on it over the course of the winter.

Can't give up my truck but if you are out here lemme know, be cool to ski with ya after close to a decade.
    "boobs just make the world better really" - Woodsy

RTR is offline Shumanitutonka Ob' Wachi
    This intrigues me, as I'm always interested in brainstorming investments. (What's so intriguing is that an automobile is usually a TERRIBLE investment.)

Some things to consider: You will HAVE to have a 4wd truck, given the nature of its use, and the fact that LCC often closes to those vehicles without chains or 2wd.

If you're interested, I'd be willing to front some money (i.e. buy an inexpensive--say, $3,000--4wd truck) and rent it to you, registered in my name with liability insurance) if it is to our mutual benefit. I'm skeptical that it pencils out, though.

Interesting.

P.S. Also would love to ski with you and Buzzworthy and every other Utarded mag, for that matter.
    Click here to increase your vocabulary.

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzworthy View Post
    Can't give up my truck but if you are out here lemme know, be cool to ski with ya after close to a decade.

Agreed. I spent last winter working at the GMD, but only ever skied Alta and the Bird. Looking at the caretaking gig and some other slightly more "real" work in LCC for this winter. I definitely want to get back and actually ski some good snow.

I'd be happy to buy a bunch of jerry cans to load into the back of my car, but apparently this property wants you to use their vessel to haul diesel. I have an Outback, Nokian winter tires for it and quite a bit of snow driving experience, so I definitely have a vehicle that is capable of handling the road up the canyon when it's open. I knew I should have gone with the Frontier instead of the Outback. Ha!

I thought about renting a pickup from UHaul or Budget a couple days a month, but I imagine those truck bed diesel carriers are a pain in the ass to put in and take out of a truck any more often than necessary

You can't have it for the whole winter, but I have a 4wd tacoma that I'd happily put a tank in. I work at the bird so I'll be driving up everyday anyway. Instead of cash I'd trade for a floor to sleep on up the canyon on nights the roads gonna close. My truck has a shell, idk if thats a issue. I'll send a PM

I live on he wrong side of the country, but clicked this thread anyway.

Do you have any idea how big the tank is? On Gallon of diesel weighs in at around 7 lbs. A 50 gallon tank will weigh in at 350 lbs (not including the ~100 lb dry tank weight). Make sure you are using enough truck to haul the load....
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

What about buying a small utility trailer? Like the ones meant for a single sled/atv, and towing it with the subi? I have a '98 outback and towed my trailer + sled without any problems (around 800 lbs total). You could get all setup for around $500 or so. Just a thought
    i shred the gnar