Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8 9 10
    fixed the coupon code - sorry about that.

Just ordered my 5th set of inserts and screws. For the first time it was easy...2012 Marker FT12s are on the list. Now I just need some new sticks to drill.

Thanks again Jon!

Jondrums

I was short one insert on my last order. Shot you a few emails through your site but haven't heard anything. Please send me a pm so I can figure out how to get the one insert.

Update - As expected, Jondrums is taking care of me and getting the insert to me. As always, great service and a company you should be supporting. Thanks for the help!
    Last edited by pruitt; 04-29-2013 at 07:08 PM.

Webstore weirdness: trying to order 12-15 inserts. Store will only sell me 10 or a pack of 100.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

Don't know if it's been mentioned, but when installing inserts (with epoxy) don't just crank them into the ski in one shot or you'll hydraulically force air & epoxy into the core of the ski.

I tap all of the holes in the ski, then swab epoxy into each hole. Then start threading in all of the inserts, but only thread in each until you feel some resistance (pressurized air & epoxy under the insert). By the time you get back to the #1 insert, the pressure will be relieved (epoxy and air slowly vents along the side of the insert) and you can thread the inserts in a little further until you feel pressure again. It only takes a few laps around the hole pattern and you're done, and it really takes no longer than if you do one insert at a time.

I'll be doing a set on my Coombas soon. Front screws pulling out. Time to invest in some tools and time to do it right. With 3 skiers in the house we've got a lot of skis. My wife likes the binding swap idea a lot.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

(EDITED 8/7)

Say Jon, when you design the new Dynaduke Radical plates, could you leave a little extra metal around the threaded holes for the Duke pattern?

If you leave a wider column of material around the Duke holes, guys can drill out the threads in the Duke hole pattern and countersink for flathead screws so that the plates can also be used as lightweight CNC'd Duke-to-Dynafit adapters. (The "eared" holes on the sides of the plates will be unused, so no need to drill more holes in the ski.) Your Dynaduke Radical plates will then have more buyers, and you won't even have to add another part number to your lineup. All it will take is a few grams more aluminum and a little less machine time. Guys can then run Dukes/Barons/F12/F10 directly on the ski with your inserts (to minimize stack height), and Dynafit/Plums using your plates.
    Last edited by 1000-oaks; 08-07-2013 at 02:04 PM.

any pluses or minuses to first mounting binding then going with inserts later using the same holes.

^^ I have the same question. Is ok to do this? Can't really see why not.
    www.skevikskis.com Check em out!

Nope, I've done it both ways. I actually prefer mounting first, as you can ski it and make sure it's exactly what you want before you permanently alter your sticks. Also the existing holes will auto-center your bit and your inserts will be perfectly located (assuming the holes were drilled properly in the first place…)

Quote Originally Posted by mtbcat View Post
    any pluses or minuses to first mounting binding then going with inserts later using the same holes.
    Last edited by dark_star; 09-19-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dark_star View Post
    Nope, I've done it both ways. I actually prefer mounting first, as you can ski it and make sure it's exactly what you want before you permanently alter your sticks. Also the existing holes will auto-center your bit and your inserts will be perfectly located (assuming the holes were drilled properly in the first place&hellip
    +1234567

This may have already been answered, but here goes:

What is the benefit of the plates vs inserts? Is it purely a matter of weight vs number of holes in your skis? Or, is there another benefit/trade-off that I'm not seeing (like the number of binding swaps that is typically done)?

As many people's touring boots are a different bsl than their alpine boots is this simply a matter of adjusting your bindings for the plate location? If so, would you split the difference between the bsls and mount for that? (ie - for bsl 305 and 315 would you mount for a 310?).

If I go with plates I'll likely do a few test mounts to make sure I have a mount location that will allow both bindings to work with their respective boots, but thought I'd get some confirmation before ordering.
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

inserts have no added stack height and are lighter than plates, but are more labor intensive to install and easier to screw up and remove more core material than plates (although i doubt that this last point is relevant as the insert when properly installed is quite strong).

plates add 7mm in stack height and ~4.5 oz per ski (weight w/o screws), but are much easier to install and since they have a wider mounting pattern than any binder they can often make it possible to remount a swiss cheese ski.

when mounting the plates i averaged my BSLs, as you noted.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    inserts have no added stack height and are lighter than plates, but are more labor intensive to install and easier to screw up and remove more core material than plates (although i doubt that this last point is relevant as the insert when properly installed is quite strong).

plates add 7mm in stack height and ~4.5 oz per ski (weight w/o screws), but are much easier to install and since they have a wider mounting pattern than any binder they can often make it possible to remount a swiss cheese ski.

when mounting the plates i averaged my BSLs, as you noted.
    Makes sense. Is there any difference between the two in the number of swaps you can do?

I know some people put plates on new skis, and correct me if I'm wrong but I think you have, too - any particular theory/reason, beside work required, behind that choice over just inserts?
    "...if you're not doing a double flip cork something, skiing spines in Haines, or doing double flip cork somethings off spines in Haines, you're pretty much just gaping."

^^^ i have installed a few plates and plan on installing some inserts as well, although i haven't installed any inserts yet.

speculation: if the inserts are properly installed and epoxied i would think that inserts and plates will be equally durable.
    however, IRL, i can see how it would be possible to accidently unscrew an insert when one is merely trying to remove the screw within the insert.

the inserts that i'm planning on installing will be in the heels of touring skis.
    running a sollyfit toe for a riser and a flat heel with inserts to reduce ramp angle.
    In search of the elusive artic powder weasel ...

Inserts could potentially allow more swaps, depending on how careful you are when installing screws. The plates are aluminum, and it is easier to cross-thread or otherwise destroy the threads in aluminum than in stainless steel (inserts are SS). That said, aluminum threads are plenty durable if you take care to not be a dumbass.

Inserts do have a couple added downsides not yet mentioned. For some binding combos, the holes conflict between the two binding patterns, requiring you to move one or both mounts fore or aft to create enough clearance. Threaded holes in aluminum require less spacing center to center than two holes for inserts, so the effect of the conflict is reduced or eliminated using plates. Salomon and Dynafit Radical, for example, tend to conflict with inserts. FKS and Dynafit Radical really don't.

The other downside to inserts is that doing a multiple binding insert mount kills the resale value of your skis. Someone can only buy them if they can reuse the holes.

Inserts are usually a little cheaper.

I personally still prefer inserts because I like the fact that there's no added stack height, and I tend to not buy and sell skis.

Whooop! Not only did my shit ship out a few hours after ordering, but he was able to jam it in a smaller box and refunded me the difference. Thanks man!

Quote Originally Posted by pfluffenmeister View Post
    the inserts that i'm planning on installing will be in the heels of touring skis.
    running a sollyfit toe for a riser and a flat heel with inserts to reduce ramp angle.
    EDIT - I AM AN IDIOT. ANSWER IS ALREADY ON THE BF SPREADSHEET - 10mm. Carry on.

I'm sure its somewhere and I've search-failed, but what is the screw length if I'm doing this and want to attach the sollyfit plate into an insert in the heel?

Like pfluffen this will let me remove ramp when using dynafits, but avoid existing swiss cheese holes by using sollyfit plate+sth at the heel. Actually saves a hole with only 4 plate screws vs 5 STH holes too...
    Last edited by flyman683; 01-27-2014 at 02:00 PM.

Anyone heard from Jon in awhile? His comms have completely dropped off. I had to send back some plates to be re-worked. That was over 3 weeks ago. I tried all the usual methods of contact. Does anyone have his phone number? PM me his number if available.

Cheers.

Mac

I ordered stuff from him last week and it arrived in 3 days so there's somebody there...

Does anyone have Jon's number? I have his PO Box, PM and BF email contact. I have a hut trip coming up in about a week and dependent on the plates! Anyone else had to deal with lack of comms from Jon? Like MyName said above, my first shipment arrived in a few days.

Thanks for the help.

I got his number PM'd. Thanks for the help.

I have also been waiting patiently for a response for over two months. Odd given that my previous purchases were shipped very quickly.

FYI, the new posi smallhead screws do not work with Guardian/Tracker bindings as the heads are too tall and interfere with the locking of the binding. I am waiting on smallhead M5 replacements...