Uses for 15mm and 17mm Camera Rail?

Does anyone here use 15mm or 19mm camera rail?

What is this used for in the industry?

I might have some samples for someone to try out if they use this size, PM me.
    Last edited by krp8128; 08-28-2012 at 05:55 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

www.dpsskis.com
    www.point6.com
    formerly an ambassador for a few others, but the ski industry is... interesting.
    Fukt: a very small amount of snow.

I use 15mm rails. I use them when shooing video. It allows me to quickly adjust the matte box and follow focus when changing lenses. Also allows to mount a cage for accessories like my h4n and monitor. Shoulder brace mounts to the rails as well.

I have some real nice rail and some real shit rails, I would totally be down to try something new. My main rails are shit, but my offset ones are nice.

I can post some photos of them in action later tonight if needed.
    Brought to you by Carl's Jr.

Oh, here's one on my phone. Sans matte (in all honestly I use the box fairly irregularly. If I don't need it, I don't use it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346192163.258824.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	119815

Holy frick...you been feeding that DSLR steroids?

Luckily I very rarely need that much crap. Normally there's an external sound person or lavs so there is no need for the cage and then the screen gets mounted to the hot shoe. And when it's shoulder mounted I usually use a loupe so no need for the monitor. It really is really manageable without the stupid cage, but it's nice for handheld low shots.

Quote Originally Posted by systemoverblow'd View Post
    Oh, here's one on my phone. Sans matte (in all honestly I use the box fairly irregularly. If I don't need it, I don't use it.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346192163.258824.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	173.6 KB 
ID:	119815

So basically these are used for accessory mounting? This product is well outside my realm of expertise, I became curious in response to an inquiry I received a while back.

I might be able to get some carbon 15mm rails for someone to try out later, is this the more common size? Right now I have a few 19mm carbon fiber rails that I would like to send to someone for some feedback.
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

, I'm an idiot.

Thread title should reference 15mm and 19mm rails.

Not all about accessory mounting but it's how most people use them. You can think the other way too. A 35mm cine lens is much shorter than say an 85mm. To be able to slide the camera back(or the other way around), change lenses and slide back into place is ideal. Also the focus and aperture rings won't be in the same place so you have to move those controls. Also useful for mounting battery packs, yada, yada, yada. It's more about ease of operation and speed.

19mm rails are for big boy cameras. For shit most of us shoot here, 15mm is pretty standard. This RED rig we shot with was on 19mm rails which are bigger than I personally own.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346203138.797153.jpg 
Views:	69 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	119834

Think of the size as prosumer vs pro.

Any chance I could borrow a 15mm rail (maybe the part that mounts to them?) for a few days? I can cover shipping both ways.

Holy fuck what a Franken-rig.

Quote Originally Posted by krp8128 View Post
    Any chance I could borrow a 15mm rail (maybe the part that mounts to them?) for a few days? I can cover shipping both ways.
    No problem. Hit me up via PM with where to send it to. What are you looking for (camera plate mount, follow focus, etc)?

And Tip, yes, it frankensteined. Remember, shooting isn't my bread and butter.

Here is the system slimmed down to its usual mode...

and here's some of what was shot...

all 4 of these - http://costefficiencies.ironmountain...3&video=vid-03

http://youtu.be/EoLfonvwiaI

Thanks for the info.

I'll let you know if I want to borrow your setup later this week, we didn't get a chance to discuss this very much today at work. If I do I'll set you up with our UPS account so there is no cost.

Bump.

Looks like system sold his system...

Anyone else here use the 15mm rail setup? I have 2 pieces (18" IIRC) that i can set you up with in exchange for some feedback.