Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Dane1 View Post
    I read both Blister reviews on the RPC which kept me off the RPC for 6 months. It was a mistake. I disliked the RP. Really like the RPC.
    I think the blister review does a good job at pointing out what is potentially wrong with the RPC. But in reality those faults are pretty negligible for certain skiers. If I were buying I would be careful to check each review and reviewer type in the thread, because the blister review is comprehensive, but not the end of story here.

Quote Originally Posted by gPasca View Post
    Ok, i try again. 175 cm tall. Weight arround 65 Kg ( i guess it' like 140 lb). I would use the rpc for quite everything, big mountain, touring, resort. I would go for the 112rp 178 but i don't like so much its rocker( i prefer the lower rpc tails) so i was wondering if 186 is the right length or not
    In the blister review comments, marshalolson says that he wants them to try the hybrid because it has a more forgiving flex pattern. At 5'9" and 140-145 lbs, you may very well be OK with the 186 Hybrid wailer 112rpc.

you may be able to demo the skis (try them out) somewhere in Europe
    Last edited by hoarhey; 10-17-2013 at 09:05 AM. Reason: added rec to demo
    Aggressive in my own mind

Quote Originally Posted by gPasca View Post
    Ok, i try again. 175 cm tall. Weight arround 65 Kg ( i guess it' like 140 lb). I would use the rpc for quite everything, big mountain, touring, resort. I would go for the 112rp 178 but i don't like so much its rocker( i prefer the lower rpc tails) so i was wondering if 186 is the right length or not
    Just a few quick notes,

+ the RPC is more versatile than the Lotus 120. The RPC has sidecut + camber and a shorter turning radius than the L120. Having skied and owned both, the RPC is want you want if you want a ski for "quite everything", though I'd tend to lean toward the W112RP for the "everything" side of things, ie touring.

+ you might prefer the Hybrid for a softer flex. The RPC is stiff. Your weight means going down in length (186 or 178), but outside of skills choice of build and length has more to do with your snow conditions and boots. Resort boots drive stiffer skis easier say than if you were going to ride softie Euro touring boots. This is why I say the W112RP is more "everything", as it's easier to tour on with softer boots.

+ the RPC handles the steeps just fine, assuming you aren't going to be skid-turning 55 degree ice as you bucket-list all the Saudan lines. The tails are quite stiff. Lots of people ski steeps with rockered tails. I know, in the EU having a fattie rockered ski is like being a witch in the dark ages. Eventually the Spandex Union will catch up to us here in North America.

+ there's a lot more reviews out there than the Blister review. The ski has also changed since then. It is now on a Pure3 build. I'd also recommend mounting at +1.5cm. Read around, including this thread, for different experiences. FWIW, I spent 90% of my days on the RPC last year here in Whistler. I found it to be nearly as versatile as the W112RP but a f*ck of a lot faster and more balls-out the kind of ski I wanted for mach speed in variable conditions.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    http://twitch.tv/fugitivephilo
    still bangin' beats

I got some new to me RPCs this season. I have been using previous holes which puts me at -1. I have been loving these skis. I don't feel like I am too far back. Question is am I really missing out on an even better experience with the mount moved forward? Anyone else try -1 and comment on the mount compared to further forward.

After skiing a lot more open terrain in NZ and Yurp, I would prefer a mount on the line than at +1, but happy enough. I bet -1 would be fun and stable in less than optimal, open conditions

I have my 192 Pures at +1.5 and absolutely love them

Hi. I am a XXL fan. Skiing mainly on Automatics so far this season (dont want to hit any rocks on the XXL's yet...)

So my local awesome shop owner here in Revy
    hands me a pair of RPC's (192) to take for a few days to try.
    Loved them! Ripped groomers, turned as fast as I could think on steeps, trees, etc. and were super lively. Played with different stances, and I think I liked plus 1 cm the best.
    The only thing I didnt like was it seemed to throw me around on harder surfaces (bumps). Conditions were fast and cold, no real powder.
    I didnt get to try them on any real crud, which is what I like the best. Big fast turns thru the chopped up crap.

So today, I take my XXL's out for the first time this year, and loved them too. They seemed more "damp" but of course, conditions changed today, it started snowing !! The XXL's were way harder to turn at lower speeds, which sometimes I have to do whan my wife decides to come out. But they just rail, especially in a bit of soft snow.
    They did seem to throw me around in the same bumpy runs I was skiing yesterday (on the RPC's) before the snow started coming down today.

I am looking for an "all around ski". I love the lightness of the RPC's, and the performance on groomed, and steeps. I am sure they will be fine in powder, so not so worried about that. (have BIg Dumps for the real deep days, plus, anything works in powder, right?!)
    But how do you guys like them in the crud and chop compared to an XXL?
    I am 6'4", 220 w/o gear.
    Thanks.

Were you out on hybrids or pures?

For what you are looking for and the skis you are coming from I would recommend the hybrids over the pures for a more damp ski that can handle crud. There are reviews of it floating around and comparing the differences

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispmoto View Post
    Hi. I am a XXL fan. Skiing mainly on Automatics so far this season (dont want to hit any rocks on the XXL's yet...)

So my local awesome shop owner here in Revy
    hands me a pair of RPC's (192) to take for a few days to try.
    Loved them! Ripped groomers, turned as fast as I could think on steeps, trees, etc. and were super lively. Played with different stances, and I think I liked plus 1 cm the best.
    The only thing I didnt like was it seemed to throw me around on harder surfaces (bumps). Conditions were fast and cold, no real powder.
    I didnt get to try them on any real crud, which is what I like the best. Big fast turns thru the chopped up crap.

So today, I take my XXL's out for the first time this year, and loved them too. They seemed more "damp" but of course, conditions changed today, it started snowing !! The XXL's were way harder to turn at lower speeds, which sometimes I have to do whan my wife decides to come out. But they just rail, especially in a bit of soft snow.
    They did seem to throw me around in the same bumpy runs I was skiing yesterday (on the RPC's) before the snow started coming down today.

I am looking for an "all around ski". I love the lightness of the RPC's, and the performance on groomed, and steeps. I am sure they will be fine in powder, so not so worried about that. (have BIg Dumps for the real deep days, plus, anything works in powder, right?!)
    But how do you guys like them in the crud and chop compared to an XXL?
    I am 6'4", 220 w/o gear.
    Thanks.
    IMHO the RPC shines in chopped up for me, the planks know no speed limit in it, as long as you have the balance dialed on them, I find they are amazing for those kind of conditions

FWIW this is my experience on Pures, I can imagine the Hybrids will wash out a bit more than Pures due to the Pure's torsional stiffness.

I skied the Pure 3's, the stiff ones.
    How much "less stiff" and more damp would the hybrids be?
    Can more of you chime in on what you have skied, the Pures or the Hybrids please? (Kyber.pass)
    When I read this thread, I get all excited for the Pures, but then I wonder how many of you guys are on the Hybrids.
    Last edited by Chrispmoto; 01-08-2014 at 10:15 PM.

Search for

Dps hybrid vs. pure carbon

Plus

Wailer rpc hybrid

Lot more info in there

Quote Originally Posted by Fejau View Post
    the RPC shines in chopped up for me, the planks know no speed limit in it, as long as you have the balance dialed on them, I find they are amazing for those kind of conditions

FWIW this is my experience on Pures, I can imagine the Hybrids will wash out a bit more than Pures due to the Pure's torsional stiffness.
    My thoughts as well. Just too lazy to rewrite what he said. 192 Pure here @ +1. Amazing ski and surprizingly for me even good going slow and wiggling some quick lazy turns waiting on my better half.
    98% of a 138 in the soft snow for me. Aand 50n times the 138 is for a ski on groomers getting back to the lift.

It is a very stiff ski in every direction I think. Just doesn't ski like a really stiff ski most places for me. I've skied it through some soft bumps at mach and had a great time doing so. But they wouldn't be any fun in hard bumps for me unless I was just skipping over the tops of them. Add some pow to those bumps and the fun would begin again at full throttle.

I won't consider the RPC pure as a replacement for an XXL for sure. It's definitively a nice tool and lots of fun in soft snow. Construction wise it lacks the dampness for charging hard in variable snow conditions. This can be compensated to a certain degree with technical skills and legs power. Though, it has still a speed limit then and won't give a smooth ride as a damp metal charger. For soft snow conditions I take out my 192 cm RPC. For days without fresh powder I prefer my 193 cm Cochise for the usual resort based freeriding.

Quote Originally Posted by Chrispmoto View Post
    I skied the Pure 3's, the stiff ones.
    How much "less stiff" and more damp would the hybrids be?
    Can more of you chime in on what you have skied, the Pures or the Hybrids please? (Kyber.pass)
    When I read this thread, I get all excited for the Pures, but then I wonder how many of you guys are on the Hybrids.
    The Pure3 and Hybrid construction are real close, I'd say, in regards to dampness. What makes the Hybrids feel damper, actually, is that they are softer and a tad heavier. The additional titanal in the P3 has produced a damper ride than previous iterations, but the Pure3 construction is about ~30% stiffer torsionally than the Hybrid, so when applying pressure in the turn you will notice its snappier feel and increased resistance. For these reasons, Pures, and not the Hybrids, fare better in chop at speed, even though this may seem unintuitive at first, and not even feel this way when comparing the two blends at first glance. But once you dial them in, and realise the potential of the RPC Pure... different story.

As for vs XXLs these are entirely different skis with different build philosophies. I think a few maggots have said it here well: the RPCs will handle chop at speed once you dial in technique, balance, and stance. In fact they excel at it, granted DPS' design style. But if you strap them on and point them with lazy legs and expect their dead weight to handle the chop for you, you will probably get back seated. Heavy, metal skis are designed to plough through the muck: that's the point of all that weight. You let the ski do it for you. RPCs, and all DPS construction to date, for that matter, emphasise a light ski, which facilitates fast turn recognition and a snappier, weightless style. You need to adjust your style to play the RPCs in variable conditions. But once you get this dialled, the RPCs are gold. Yes, you can point over chop and have at it. Yes, you can whip through VW bumps. Yes, you can point it on hardpack ice. The actual strength of the RPC, in terms of what it can handle, is comparable to the better metal skis on the market.

That's my take on it, having ridden various iterations of the RPC as my go-to ski for three seasons... of course I am biased, but I also strongly believe that you should buy the ski that works for YOU, taking into consideration, its purpose, construction, and design philosophy.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Quote Originally Posted by roQer View Post
    For days without fresh powder I prefer my 193 cm Cochise for the usual resort based freeriding.
    OKay, I took the RPC's out again, after a day on my XXL's.
    The RPC's, and maybe someone said this, are like Ferraris. Quick, agile, and probably too light for the type of skiing I crave. Fast, hard charging thru the crud and crap. I found the RPC's just too "light" and they would sometimes ride up on top of the chop, where as the XXL's would smash the crud, and almost give me a face shot. The RPC's did give me some incredible runs, but the XXL's were more consistent for me thru thru the cut up stuff at speed.
    The RPC's really shone for me on the groomers, and the ninja like quick turns on the steep. I almost feel the lightness of the ski is its biggest downfall though (for the resort). I did really like them, but still want to try a few others out.
    The next ski I want to try is the Cochise....

PURE 3 is so much better.
    Had 112RPC last year, great ski but still typical DPS.

After I blew them up, got Pure3 on warranty, and yes there is a difference.
    Still love my XXL for cadillac dampness, but riding DPS more often now that it is damper.
    . . .

Hey Marshall you around for a demo this week? Maybe just a meetup since your pm is closed to messages
    I need to go to Utah.
    Utah?
    Yeah, Utah. It's wedged in between Wyoming and Nevada. You've seen pictures of it, right?

So after 15 years we finally made it to Utah.....

Thanks BCSAR and POWMOW Ski Patrol for rescues

8, 17, 13, 18, 16, 18, 20, 19, 16, 24, 32, 35

2021/2022 (13/15)

Quote Originally Posted by whyturn View Post
    Hey Marshall you around for a demo this week? Maybe just a meetup since your pm is closed to messages
    He's probably at SIA

Been trying to get ahold of Marshall for 3 weeks and no luck through phone calls / emails. Guessing he has been busy with OR and now SIA.

The 13/14 RPC is my all time ski. It handles it all so well I feel. I have solely skied them all season. Have had my 99s out once but the rpc seem to do all the 99s do except you got that much more ski under you. For the guys who don't like them we must have different styles. These things are so damn quick and lively.

I was at Targhee a couple weeks back and there was a crust on top of 8" fresh. Sorta ice fog crust. You heard it going thru bigtime. Just a constant zipper. Well the conditions must have sucked for everyone else because the place was a ghost town. These sticks destroyed it and Im not a zipper crust skier but the skis made it seem like it wasn't there. I lapped the shit out of that place all day. COuldn't have been happier. I think the 138 is suppose to be so great in funky snow and it was dane who said it feels like the 138 and Ill say without ever being on 138 that these rpcs destroy the funky snow.

Ive been on 120s from the first few runs, 99s Pure 2, RPs in hybrid and pure 2 and from what I can tell pure 3 is a definite step up and worth every penny.

So impressed with the ski. Don't know where to start other than Danes review got me thinking I should give them a shot. GLad I did. Maybe now I'll stop gear hoarding.

I spent 2 weeks on my 13/14 RPC Pure's at Jackson Hole at the beginning of January (during the storm). It is fair to say I am very happy, and they have met my high expectations.

I have come from RP hybrids, and the RPC addresses the concerns I had with that ski - I found there was no real speed limit (on or off piste), they did not deflect as easily and they powered through any chop. The only area I felt the RP was better than the RPC was in bumps, where the soft shovel of the RP made life easier.

One thing I have not resolved is whether to de-tune tips and tails or not - what is the collective thought on this? I did not find them overly hooky, but I did ski them in fairly hero snow.

go for the 1.5 degree base bevel and a 2 degree side edge, and do some detuning. made me happy..

Interested in 186 Pure RPCs for mostly pow/winter touring (I couldn't care less how well they ski groomers or bumps). I have 184 w112 Pures, which are amazing in tight trees, but too hooky in funky alpine snow and too soft in the tip (ha!) for landings or even steeps with speed. I also don't trust them running flat. It's gotten to the point where I'll use my 177 Blizzard Scouts or OG Squad 7s (love both, but Scouts aren't floaty enough in the deep, and Squads are heavy as fuck and long for big tours) if I'm going to be in anything other than hippy tree pow.

I'm 5'8", 140#s, ski in the PNW and B.C., pretty fast with decent technique, tour a lot, boots are stiff-ass Vulcans. Many of the descriptions here indicate that the RPC addresses the two things - tiny turn radius and soft, steeply-rockered tip - I dislike about the RP. The questions are:
    Are they really a ton less hooky than the RP? It's still a pretty small sidecut (20-25, whatever that range means), so I'm finding the comments about how the RPC is a "mini Lotus" a bit mystifying. The 138 and 120 have huge sidecuts relative to the RPC/RP, so is it only the longitudinal flex that allegedly makes the RPC so good in weird crusts n' stuff? Is the RPC a very good weird snow ski compared to anything else, or just compared to the RP? I'm not talking about resort crud or icy pistes, I'm talking about windjack, sun crust, etc. I'm not interested in reverse-reverse or a ski that specializes in alpine funk, just one that handles it well.

And then: Any more reviews the past year, particularly on the 186 for smaller folk?

The L120 is definitely an option here, but at my size, I don't need that much width to float, a bit skinnier would be better in the skin track and edging entrances and the like; and a 27Mish sidecut tends to be my sweet-spot. Thanks!

Hey Andyski,

Have you demo'ed the 190 W112RPs? Just checking, as it sounds like you could rip them — and the second option here is the new iteration, the v2, aka the W112RP.2. It's toned down in the tip and tail, with less splay & less bulletnose width, a tad stiffer, and sits somewhere closer to the RPC in terms of style. Now that said—

... frankly I think you could just ride the RPC, which is still a different beast.

The RPC is my daily driver in Whistler. It's a step-up from the RP, which I love, still tour on, and feel is a great, comfortable ski, albeit one with speed limits. If you want to unhinge the accelator, and take on a ski that demands some aggressive driving, the RPC combines the Lotus' speed limit (well... almost...) with the superb reactivity of sidecut and versatility of a slightly rockered tail.

Personally I think you want some element of sidecut for most riding — the L120 is more of a powder tool, whereas the RPC is designed to ride nearly any offpiste condition you throw at it. Unlike the RP, the RPC has less splay in the nose, but also has less width in the nose too (meaning you can get your stance tighter, like the Lotus), has a stiffer and less rockered tail (more stable platform for landing), and is stiffer and far more powerful throughout the core.

The upgrade on the 112RP is designed to take a great design and push it forward with some subtle tuning so that a classic all-mountain fat ski evolves with the times into a sleeker beast. The RPC is really the charger, the cobra still — it strikes anywhere, DPS style. Versatile, light, powerful, and fucking fast enough for me.

Back to <lurk>.
    == | slacktopia | ==
    still bangin' beats

Thanks KP. I'm very familiar with the design differences between the RP2, RPC and RP. I'm not keen on going from a 184 RP to a 190 RP2 as it's a lot of money for a somewhat limited upgrade. I also like a bit of sidecut, but normally somewhere between 25M and 30M is my sweetspot for dicking around in trees and also not becoming a hooky mess in non-perfect pow. If the non-air tip Squad 7 came in a 185 (thus measuring closer to 181) and was a pound-plus lighter, I'd buy it. So the question remains, will the 186 RPC be significantly less hooky in weird snow than the RP despite a minimal difference because it's so much stiffer?