fox f80 RLC maintenance ??

I'm trying to get my ducks in a row to do a little deferred maintenance on my fork (2009 fox F80 RLC). Mainly, making sure I have the right tools at home before I get stuck in the middle of the night (when I usually have time for these types of activities - I have 3 young kids). I have never disassembled my fork before. I was thinking/planning on an oil change and dust/washer cleaning.

Looking at the fox service manual online, it's not clear to me how much disassembling I need to do. For an 'oil change', i.e. "change oil in lower legs" for this fork, do I need to remove the RLC Topcap, Remove the Lockout Force Threshold Knob, Remove the Air Topcap, Remove the RLC Damper, Remove the Air Topcap, Remove the 32 mm Air Spring, Remove the Crown Steerer Assembly, Remove the 32 mm Lower Assembly, and Remove the Dust Wipers from the Lower Assembly. and then put it all back? That all sounds like more of an overhaul that I was thinking/planning and the fox maintenance site is not clear to me...

TIA and cheer

You need to replace the compression washer, and if you're doing all that work, you might as well replace the seals.

thanks for the response.

i think what i'm trying to (initially) find out: can i simply pull the f80 rlc apart in a simple way like what's done in this vid w/ the fox 40 to change the oil and deal with the seals.
    http://mpora.com/videos/uXCG3MyMP

currently, i don't know what a "compression washer" is.... i'm willing to find out.

cheers

I think its also called a crush washer. It goes under the 10mm nut on the non-damped side. I've been told its not re-useable and its included in replacement seal kits.

Just be methodical and take your time and take everything apart carefully. Fox has those pesky, spring loaded bearings that are easy to lose. Other than that, its pretty straight forward and you don't need any special tools. It might be a challenge trying to figure out the oil volumes.

edit: check out Enduro seals website. They have good instruction pdf's and they're seals seem to last longer than OEM fox seals.
    Last edited by Mr. Toad; 08-26-2012 at 03:18 PM.