Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Midwest Maggots-looking for backcountry in Wisconsin/UP Michigan

I want to introduce my son to the backcountry with hopes of doing some short tours (as little as 200 vert is OK) and some winter camping. I live in Minneapolis and haven't found anything in Minnesota so I'm hoping to find anything, preferably public land, within 4-5 hour drive from the Twin Cities which can include northern Wisconsin or the UP. Any and all suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Several UP mags have posted accounts of some good options in the western UP ("good" being a relative term.)

However, those accounts have been very thin on locational details. A check of the Midwest Chatter threads would be a good start. If you're really lucky one of the UP Mags will give you some useful info.

That you are asking so you can introduce the grom to touring should help but don't be surprised if they want blood oaths of secrecy.
    "Those 1%ers are not an avaricious "them" but in reality the most entrepreneurial of "us". If we had more of them and fewer grandstanding politicians, we would all be better off."
    - Bradley Schiller, Prof. of Economics, Univ. Nevada - Reno.

Mt. Bohemia is about as far North and the UP goes. No snow making machines, ~300-400 in. annually and its got some good sidecountry and meadow skiing. Marquette Mt. ski hill has some cool areas just off property. Used to walk golf courses that had suitable hills.

Thanks for your input. I've taken my kid to Bohemia a few times but am looking for something less than 8-9 hours away from Minneapolis, maybe terrain around Indianhead or Porcupine?

There are turns to be made at Camp 10 outside of Rhinelander Wiscodisco Hwy 17. Sam on TTips is just down the road.

Thanks Co-opski! All suggestions are appreciated.

So - there are a few really nice vertical clearings that the power company cuts around either side of power line towers as you head along hwy 61 between duluth and lutsen/grand marais. I've parked and hiked back up them in the summer time back into the national forest areas a time or two - and have been thinking about doing it in the winter... last winter was hopeless for snowfall, so I never made it happen... but I feel they could be really good with some fresh snow as it is about 200-350 vert of consistent fall line.

Similar clearings/meadows down near Mankato on the north side of town and along the Mississippi river corridor near Wabasha can be found... just pull over - jump out, hike a few laps and move on to the next when you are bored.

Good luck with the little one!
    Last edited by gointhedistance; 08-28-2012 at 07:31 AM.

You can go cat skiing from Mt. Bohemia.

When I lived in N. MI. we hiked gravel pits, power line trails, and the local freeride mountain bike trails. Google Earth is your friend.

PM Jer for recs. As a matter of fact he has some TR on here about skinning the Mountain of Madness and the Run That Shall Not Be Named in those parts. Search for those terms.

I'd say he'd get back to you quickly but I saw in the other forum that he's leaving on a SUP excursion across Lake Superior to Canada for a bag of gas. Hope he makes it back in one piece.
    I still call it The Jake.

backside of buck hill is teh GNAR

Don't know anything about out there, but one thing to scout is transmission lines as they cut openings through the dense woods. If you know where they run use google earth.

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

I grew up in Eau Claire. I would think the riverbanks near Welch/Coffee Mill/Afton would serve something up if there was enough snow. The area around Rib Mt. just out of Wausau, WI might be good. I mean, it is the highest 'peak' in cheeseland. I definitely remember hiking the golf courses around EC for turns when I was a wee tot.
    The older I get, the better I was.

Is anyone aware of any skiable/tourable terrain in the Porcupine State Park in the UP other than the resort? Google Earth research indicates there is a possibility.

There is a good bit by Marquette. And Houghton I'm sure, I am not familiar with the Houghton area though save for one or maybe two spots. If you decide to come all the way over to Marquette, I could point you towards a really solid spot.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Well I guess this area would be far away. But still, there are a few good 'back country' options, most are fairly drive up, a few that skins might make 'easier' (generally by the time you put your skins on, skin up, dick around, take your skins off, and are ready to ski again, it would have taken less time to walk).

Really knowledge of spots around here comes from a ton of time on Google earth, cross reference on mapsource, drive out in the summer, decide its too flat, repeat.

If you come up here PM me.
    The whole human race is de evolving; it is due to birth control, smart people use birth control, and stupid people keep pooping out more stupid babies.

Quote Originally Posted by Lakelander View Post
    Is anyone aware of any skiable/tourable terrain in the Porcupine State Park in the UP other than the resort? Google Earth research indicates there is a possibility.
    Off the backside is really easy. Tight trees though. We camped up there one night and did laps. Kind of fun.

Quote Originally Posted by BmillsSkier View Post
    PM Jer for recs. As a matter of fact he has some TR on here about skinning the Mountain of Madness and the Run That Shall Not Be Named in those parts. Search for those terms.
    It was The Chute That Should Not Be!

Important distinction! It’s very different!
    Something you’re just not going to name is very different than something that should not be!

And really, it’s a good name for something up there, because a lot of the better skiing up there gives you that feeling, that this shouldn’t be here feeling. It’s weird.

I can’t believe we’ve been living without that distinction for the last 8 years.

Never too late to set the record straight.
    focus.

“Chute” is a term that cannot describe the UP

I need pictures.
    . . .

I really hate myself for checking into this thread(live in Twin Cities atm, and will not be able to move until February at the earliest), but are there any power lines to ski within an hour or two drive? I know there is some touring possible up north of Duluth on North shore hills, but I'm not sure it's worth it. Maybe the drift less hills have a good zone or two? I'm guessing it possible for it to be ""skiable"" by February or March in a good year...

Also Yetiman, how far are you from Twin Cities?

Far!

I’m in Marquette MI. Living the life that should not be.

Midwest Maggots-looking for backcountry in Wisconsin/UP Michigan

Quote Originally Posted by Core Shot View Post
    “Chute” is a term that cannot describe the UP

I need pictures.
    Well, it should not be. I think that was made clear.

Though we have enough big rocky formations and natural snowfall that I suspect there are plenty of features around here that are skiable and can comfortably be labeled as chutes, not that you’d waste much time pursuing most of them.
    focus.

Quote Originally Posted by ill-advised strategy View Post
    Far!

I’m in Marquette MI. Living the life that should not be.
    Oh yeah that's not even in WI... Do you know of any places to stretch your legs uphill south of the lake in WI? Seems like there could be 400-500' runs that should be skiable, my concern is that there is nowhere to park and they mostly face south, which might not a big problem up here in Midwest, if the snow bringing wind comes north from the lake.

word -

take a look at the BlueHills region of eastern Barron county / western Rusk county northeast of RiceLake (wisconsin) --
    the Ice Age hiking trail winds through the region and there is a rustic lakeside campground that I could look-up --

I have long wanted to ski Norwegian Road just west of Christie Mountain on a fresh snow day ;
    it is a very rustic town road that barely gets plowed -
    undulating pitch from the top seems like it would be fun with eight inches or ten inches of fresh snow...

there is also a former ski hill south of countyC east of RiceLake that has some slope -
    ( it is Posted Private property - and I don't want to encourage anyone to get into legal trouble )
    ( If there is good snowfall by February, you might also drive out to Telemark east of Cable, wisconsin.
    fifty years ago, with neophyte snowmaking HariKari was a legendary drop !
    there were efforts to revive the ski hill as recently as the 2000s so I doubt the slopes have been lost to (the) woods )

Good luck - skiJ