Fall Days Afield 12/13

Reserved for this hunting season. One week for Dove open and two for Bow opener in the Carolina's. Let's migrate over to this thread if the other thread name can't be changed.

Went down to Steve's trainer's yesterday and got to shoot over 22 different pointing dogs, including every breed imaginable (and Steve). Makes for a pretty fun day that sort of resembles demo days on the mountain, only I'm demoing bird dogs while shooting chukar.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

Well...nothing down after the opening weekend, but had a great hunt. The elk were starting to buggle already and gather up the cows, but still some lone cows out there. Got set up on one bull for like a half hour, but they were bedded down and he had a couple cows with him, so he never came in...just buggled back at us for a while.

Saw a really nice bull with about 4 cows, called one off the back, and my partner got pulled back on her 3 times as I called her in, but him and I were too close together and she hung up about 40 yards from me with a big tree between him and her...3 more steps and we would of had meat for sure, and could spend the rest of the season chasing a big bull...oh well.

Also had a nice cow at 48 yards, but there was no weather system and the wind swirled right before he could shoot...again I was on the calls. We did not chase too hard since it was the first day. Probably a good thing we did not shoot her...she was 5 miles from camp, and a valley over, with about 1,200 feet of vert to get up to the saddle in between there and camp...which is 3.5 miles or so from the car, and she was HUGE. Would of sucked for two guys.

Did not see another soul all weekend...the long weekend coming up will be the test of how much pressure our valley gets.

Anyhow...pretty good first day.
    "We had nice 3 days in your autonomous mountain realm last weekend." - Tom from Austria (the Rax ski guy)

Opening weekend of hunting here in WI. I got out with the dogs for some grouse hunting. Weather was warm so I quit at 11 AM and then took my boat out. I ended up with two grouse and the dogs has some great bird work. My setter was steady to wing, shot, and fall on one bird and steady to wing and shot on the the ones where I missed.

The first point where I actually hit the bird.

Taking a break.

I've been hitting it hard. Oh, that full body exhaustion is at it's cusp.

Another day today of getting hissed at while I knock my bow. Yesterday an absolute marathon. Could have taken a ton of grouse though, but my focus isn't really there. I'm in broad head and rifle zone. God, I hate doing both at once. Get's a little bit mean on my shoulders. Chaffing too.

Just ... took... my... boots ... off. Foot orgasm, just like skiing.

Going to treat myself to a shower. Ahhhh.

Elk were talking, mostly predawn,came out to make sure the weekend passed without anything that would require my presence,and i drank all my bourbon. Mother in law in hospice,work,family,ect. Crushed my non-trigger, middle, finger unloading logs this am. 8 stitches Fuck fuck fuck. We'll see if i can bone a elk one handed ? I should be so lucky.

Fried up about 150 dove opening day. Mostly mourning with a few white wings. Didn't do as well the next day but they were delicious none the less. Been stuck at work ever since...

Picking up Steve from the trainer tomorrow....psyched. I've been having fun chasing elk but I'm ready to take the fraggle after some pine chicken! There's just something different about hunting with a dog than just plain hunting.

That said, my teammate from my winter archery league killed a beautiful DIY 6X6 Saturday.
    "All God does is watch us and kill us when we get boring. We must never, ever be boring."

I took my dogs into the woods this afternoon. I decided to leave the gun at home and just bring the blank pistol since I've got birds in the freezer from this past weekend. My setter usually takes a big initial cast or two and on the second big cast I heard the bell stop.

At this distance I've got to stop and listen closely in order to hear the bell. With her being out front I just walked toward the direction I last heard the bell.

After a long walk I found my setter on point. It's a bad picture, but it was my taken with my mobile phone.

I went into flush, but didn't find the bird so I relocated her. She went on a second point probably about 50 yards from the initial point. The problem was I couldn't find her. This is the kind of cover I was trying to bust through to find her.

I was making so much noise and busting so much brush I figured I caused the bird to flush. That is when I found her again.

Again figuring I moved the bird I decided to try and relocate her again. She took off and went on point again probably about 50 yards away. This time I found her easily as it wasn't as thick.

I worked the area in front of her and flushed a grouse.

In the hour we were out I found three more coveys with one being pointed by my setter though they were substantially shorter points (about 60 and 90 yards) and one being flushed by my lab.
    Last edited by Grange; 09-18-2012 at 08:25 PM. Reason: I can't count.

Nice, Grange! Too bad we don't live closer...I'd love to get Steve out with your dogs to learn a thing or two.

Worked him with the trainer today before taking him home. While I'm not really a field trial guy and have zero experience, I'm happy to let her run him and pay the entry fees. I figure it keeps the trainer motivated because his success makes her look good and obviously makes for a good hunting dog. He passed his Junior with ease this past month and will go straight for Master Hunter this spring. I'll probably run him in his NAVHDA utility test this spring, too...those are a bit more fun than AKC events.

No matter what, I'm super fired up for bird season this year. Steve is definitely ready and I've been seeing more grouse and chukkar while elk hunting than I've ever seen here in 12 years.

Steve's now rock solid on point, backing other dogs, dead steady to flush but inconsistent to shot. I'm going to continue work with him on that but I was fucking stoked on how well he hunted today. He was working with a national champ short hair pointer and they were quite the dynamic duo in the field--quartering beautifully together, backing each other, etc. Steve quickly located and pointed the first planted bird, the GSP pointed the second, then they each found one previous "escapee" each from other dogs in a big alfalfa field.

My brother-in-law isn't into trialing either, but he does like NAVHDA. He's got two GWP and his little one is probably going to be a great bird dog. That thing is a ball full of energy and can really run. She also looks great on point when we train. My setter is not a natural backer so I'll probably be working on that on a regular basis. When I was breaking my setter I used two launchers (one in the scent cone and one out of the scent cone) and to help with intensity I will sometimes fire the pistol before I flush the bird.

I've got my first trial this fall on Saturday. Tomorrow, weather permitting, will be my last training day before the trial. It's on planted birds, which are not my favorite types of trials, but it will be fun regardless. Plus I get to judge the amateur shooting dogs, which I am looking forward to.

My setter got 3rd place in our first Open Shooting Dog trial of the fall with a broke find and a back. My father took 2nd place in the Amateur Shooting dog with one of his brittanies. I've posted multiple pictures of this brittany along with my setter in the past. I'm headed in the woods this afternoon with the dogs and will try to get some pictures.

Spent last weekend chasing Elk around with my old man. Had a few 5x5's within 10 yards, but a massive 6x6 at about 80 kept him from shooting in hopes he could get a shot at it. So much fun to see those animals so close.

Went out to the Uintas yesterday for some forest chicken and came home empty handed, missed one shot on a big grouse. I need a dog. Stoked for duck season though!
    "If we can't bring the mountain to the party, let's bring the PARTY to the MOUNTAIN!"

Why is it every time I am mt biking, or dirt biking I see tons of Grouse? And the las two times I have gone out looking for Grouse in the same spots, at the same time, I see one. Which my wife missed with her .22. Hunting birds with dogs is a lot more fun, that much is certain. Oh well, most days walking in the woods is better then the days not spent in the woods.
    The Worst mistakes, make the best memories.

Why is is that right when you can't possibly see, when you've already put your headlamp on, and are pissed and hiking those miles back to your truck that you jump exactly what you've been spending all day trying to find?

Ah, yes, that is hunting.

I am beat. Literally and figuratively.

Fall colors:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_1971.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	1.62 MB 
ID:	121317

Coulda probably ground-swatted a couple dumb grouse with above .22, but I'm not even sure if that's legal. I know you can't hunt turkey with a 22/250 ( I queeried it). Grange - grouse must be on the upswing right now, huh? They're all over the damn place.

I've hunted grouse with a 22 pistol. A lot more difficult than with my 12ga, but I've been successful. Not illegal here. Seeing lots of grouse this year. Any suggestions for good tips for my arrows to use on teh chickinz?

Quote Originally Posted by Jer View Post
    Grange - grouse must be on the upswing right now, huh? They're all over the damn place.
    All indications (i.e. drumming counts) are that the population peaked and is now on the downswing. I'm seeing plenty of birds, but a couple years ago was better.

I'm headed to MI tomorrow for a Championship trial this weekend so no hunting, but from what I'm hearing there will be plenty of grouse pointed.

Quote Originally Posted by MakersTeleMark View Post
    I've hunted grouse with a 22 pistol. A lot more difficult than with my 12ga, but I've been successful. Not illegal here. Seeing lots of grouse this year. Any suggestions for good tips for my arrows to use on teh chickinz?
    Judo tips will do the trick. Don't try anything else...I *know a guy* who got really bored on an elk hunt and shot a grouse with a broad head. Ever seen a grouse fly away with an arrow in it? *I know a guy* who has.

Can you still get those big three or four "pronged" wire loop tips? Those things were super accurate out to five yards.

Got back last night from a week at the cottage cutting wood and ruffed grouse hunting. I had no shortage of action and even though I missed several opportunities I still have several meals in the freezer. I'll be up there for another long weekend later this week so it looks like I'll be eating some grouse this week.

They're ready.

And they're off.

Compared to some of the cover we hunt this is considered wide open space. Summit (my black lab) is hunting the front.

This is a blurry picture, but it is Tico after the flush, shot, and fall.

Another picture of a productive point.

A few pictures of some of the results of our hard "work".

And finally after several days of hunting the dogs are enjoying a comfortable sleep in front of the fire saving their energy for another day afield.

Nice set of sleepy dogs there^^^. Super birdy this year in Sovt. Flushed more grouse and woodcock last couple of days than I have in 3 years prior combined. Last years mild winter I'm guessing. Gettting out tomorrow. No dog for me so I will be logging some miles in the woods.