Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

MRA partners with Mount Abram, Maine, as part of new Mountain Playground model

New Thinking for Small Hills

Powder Magazine, August 23, 2012

mt abram rocks!

soooooooo many empty mid week pow days there. the "way back machine" double chair was awesome!

good stuff

rog

Re-introducing the unicorn to the eastern seaboard...

Congrats.
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

In the beginning I was rather critical of your model being mixed with too much hydroponics. I go now to eat crow.

Well done and best of luck in your future endeavors.

Nice! My first turns ever at age 5 were at Mt. Abram.
    Last edited by cmsummit; 08-23-2012 at 08:39 PM.
    Old's Cool.

thank god the place is in maine.

rog

maine...wtf is it with that place? Wife and I just got back from Camden. Sailing golfing and mtn biking. Why do we now want to sell everything and move to Maine? Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    maine...wtf is it with that place? Wife and I just got back from Camden. Sailing golfing and mtn biking. Why do we now want to sell everything and move to Maine? Love it.
    unreal eh phil? it's got it all. you want the magic mtn that no one knows about? go to mt abram. you want 2800 vert, the only above treeline lift serve in the east and relentless killer long bump runs that are as long or longer than all of the ghey ass drop a little, traverse alot a drop a little vert like at alta put together, and a spring ski scene that can't be beat, you got sugarloaf. surf? yup. wilderness? fuck ya tons of it.

nothing is blown out in maine like so many other states we recreate in. plus it's the only one syllabel state. simple.

GREG! I'M GONNA PUT YOU OUT OF A FUCKING JOB!!! HAHAHAHAHA

rog

I will be heading back fo sho.

Quote Originally Posted by philth View Post
    Wait till the winter hits, then you understand why more don't live there.

Grew up in Maine, and Mt Abrams was the first "big" mtn I skied at back in the early 60's. Once we got a little older and more experienced moved on up to the big hill, "the 'Loaf" in our teens. Froze my young butt off more days there than I can count, lol. I later moved away to work, but one of my close relatives is still ski patrol at Abrams.

edit: Damn I must be getting old, did ski at Mt Abrams, but was getting it mixed up with Pleasant Mt (now Shawnee Peak) another local hill in the same general neighborhood. Pleasant Mt was my first big mtn. not Abrams, but Abrams usually had better snow conditions so we'd go there when nobody else had decent snow or to cold & windy to go to the 'Loaf.
    Last edited by BerettaRacer; 08-25-2012 at 12:31 PM.

so funneh all the mainers add an s to mt abram, and everything else. ask a locke mills local where they live. it's LOCKES mills every time. lived just down the street from there for 7 winters. twas great that they closed mon-wed for skinning all day alone during mid week dumps. perfect.

such a great vibe. the loose boots lounge was great for pounding cheap beer late morning after a dozen or so untracked pow laps. rockys run, one of the steepest runs in the northeast would avalanche on occasion during big storms. no snowmaking on that one.

rog

It's a great idea...one that's been going on in Southern Vermont for at least 5 years.

Another reason more folks don't live in Maine? It has the highest or 2nd highest tax burden per capita in the US...higher than NY or CT. It regularly competes with VT for that inauspicious title.

really on the high tax burden thing? no surprise with vermont, place is so fucked up in so many ways when it comes to taxes and whatnot.

i know maine for awhile there and maybe still had the highest gun ownership per capita, yet had the lowest crime rate. funneh how that works, eh

rog

Quote Originally Posted by icelanticskier View Post
    really on the high tax burden thing? no surprise with vermont, place is so fucked up in so many ways when it comes to taxes and whatnot.

rog
    Yeah but we get 3 times the amount of snow so it doesn't matter. Taxes? Pfft. Try paying under $100 a month for full health care for my family. I was paying $1300 in Pennsylvania for higher deductibles and scripts. Cant beat it here.

/thread drift

Quote Originally Posted by thin cover View Post
    Yeah but we get 3 times the amount of snow so it doesn't matter. Taxes? Pfft. Try paying under $100 a month for full health care for my family. I was paying $1300 in Pennsylvania for higher deductibles and scripts. Cant beat it here.

/thread drift
    heh, ya 3 times the snow, but 20 times the amount of pow hounds chewing it up. you guys over there are in the trees after lap one to get untracked. we can stay on the wide open trails till noon or later farming it up! country club skiing.

say what you want about vermont. the place is fucked

and that's coming from a former employee/homeowner, and 7 day recreationalist

rog

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Interview tomorrow.jpg 
Views:	162 
Size:	69.9 KB 
ID:	119770

MRA CEO Jamie Schectman will be conducting a live video chat tomorrow, Monday, August 27 at 9pm EDT/6pm PDT with Peak 38 Mountain Division. We encourage you to join the conversation.

nice! i haven't been to abram since the 80's. always the chill vibe. i think i need to get there this year and bring the boys.

Quote Originally Posted by strawjack View Post
    nice! i haven't been to abram since the 80's. always the chill vibe. i think i need to get there this year and bring the boys.
    can i come? i could just lay in that badass storage compart in the bed of yer truck. blacksleeves scoring any of this lil surf?

thread drift sorry

rog

I grew up at Mt. Abram, Pleasant Mt/Shawnee Peak, Lost Valley and Sunday River (too far of a drive to Sugarloaf from Portland to get there regularly). Lower Rocky's Run was the trail that separated the men from the boys (though we were all boys back then).

Anyone else remember the big center trail down Mt. Abram being known as "Middle X" to the locals? I think the real name was Boris Badenov, but I remember being scared shitless of the headwall on Middle X at about 8 years old.
    Outlive the bastards - Ed Abbey

Quote Originally Posted by Pegleg View Post
    I grew up at Mt. Abram, Pleasant Mt/Shawnee Peak, Lost Valley and Sunday River (too far of a drive to Sugarloaf from Portland to get there regularly). Lower Rocky's Run was the trail that separated the men from the boys (though we were all boys back then).

Anyone else remember the big center trail down Mt. Abram being known as "Middle X" to the locals? I think the real name was Boris Badenov, but I remember being scared shitless of the headwall on Middle X at about 8 years old.
    didn't know it as middle x, but boris is a great length run with good pitch for pow lapping. wide nuff to do like 18 t2b laps in untracked without touching any of yer other tracks. at about 900 vert per lap it'd take me 2 days of skinning to go wall to wall on that one. go on a monday when they were closed, do about 8 laps, leave, come back tuesday and ski the other untracked half before they'd groom it wednesday for the weekly thurs-sunday opening. the pow always just sat there, tragic

ain't life great? . no need to ski anywhere else with a commodity llike that down the street on pow days. the t-bar line was always a great pow run too.

rog