Thread: Portage packs?

Portage packs?

I'm paddling the Allagash in about a week with some friends and it was suggested that I pick up a dry bag or two for the trip. I could just spring for a standard dry bag like the SealLine Baja, but I'm wondering if dropping a little extra cash on something with shoulder straps like the Boundary pack would be worth it. I know there will be a portage or two on the trip, but I don't think they are longer than a half mile. Just wondering what some other people's opinions on the subject are.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

I got 2 of the 70 litre with straps which are a good size, IMO 115 is too big , they are good in canoes but mostly I use them in the bush for field work where we won't be walking that far off the road and I just wana keep my stuff dry

they are pretty tough but if you do put any holes in them they are easily fixed with shoo goo

edit: what I mean to say is the straps suck bad enough for very much BP-ing on the 70L bad enough, so with what you could fit in a 115 they may suck too much, also the 115 might not fit everywhere you want it to
    Last edited by XXX-er; 08-22-2012 at 06:16 PM.

I would REALLY REALLY recommend a dry-pack. Those things are so handy you wouldn't believe. I'm pretty sure Outdoor Research makes a good one for not much money. For canoe-tripping they are the cat's meow, and really make life easier.
    EDIT: But it looks like they just make dry bags.

They're also great for when friends invite you on sailing trips and fishing trips. They are very basic, and most are very rugged. They are NOT to be used for extensive backpacking as most have no lumbar support or internal framing...but I think some more expensive ones just might.

In short, for what you're doing...and for future canoe endeavors, definitely get one over a simple dry bag...you'll thank yourself for it many times...especially when your canoe turtles.

Oh...and definitely you'll not just want shoulder straps (like on a navy seabag) but you'll want a decent hip belt as well...your shoulders/back will thank you!!

Check out THIS puppy:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$(KGrHqN,!osE63YP0ivpBO60nWN9nQ~~60_35.JPG 
Views:	160 
Size:	16.5 KB 
ID:	119616

That's nicer than the one I have!!

They sell these new for 42 pounds on ebay...from Britain, but they ship to North America.

Here's the eBay link:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Backpack-DRY-PACK-Bag-
    Overboard-60-Litre-Dry-Bag-Tube-Straps-Overboard-/380394123194

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I have a boundary pack, rugged as all hell. I bought it over 10 years ago to pack my gear separately for tent camping (the rest of the family fit in the camper). Its been thrown in the boat, wedged between the truck bed and camper shell and stuffed half under a sled in the winter with no ill effects. I have even done a couple mile hikes with it, not the comfiest but doable.

Spring for the bigger bag with the straps, you will use it over time.
    Quote Originally Posted by DoWork View Post
    We can tell you think you're awesome- it's pretty obvious. I love it when you try to convince us all too, It's like a tripped out Willy Wonka boat trip across the galaxy of fail you call an existence and it is indeed awesome to watch. I mean, your fail is so dense it has become a "black hole of fail" that has a gravitational pull strong enough to attract the fail of others, hence the "dating sucks" thread scenario.

Just pulled the trigger on a 70L Boundary pack. I might pick up a Baja dry bag as well as a day bag, just debating between the 5L and 10L.
    No kick turns
    No mercy

Looks like it's too late....but another option is a decent packboard.

What these are, are a full-frame, with cushioned high-quality shoulder straps and wide, thickly cushioned hip belt, just like on a high quality backpack...but instead of a pack on the other side of the frame, it's a board...to which you can strap damn near anything, from dry bags to wall tents to a moose shoulder.

Wildfire firefighters use them to pack in VERY heavy loads to the fire line. Hunters use them to pack out meat. The military uses them to pack in/out heavy comm equipment, etc. They work great to pack dry bags as well. Lots of my friends use them. You can make your own by modiying a used external-frame back-pack. I've used them to pack in field equipment to a remote site, but have never had my own.

I think I just talked myself into going to Play It Again Sports, buying a used external-frame decent backpack and making my own packboard.

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Dude, just go to Barney's.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Hugh Conway Guest
    TGR is barneys

Quote Originally Posted by Hugh Conway View Post
    TGR is barneys
    You are what you eat?
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post

I think I just talked myself into going to Play It Again Sports, buying a used external-frame decent backpack and making my own packboard.
    I want to carry a saw/fuel but I don't want fuckup my nice packs so I checked the "new to you" nothing but old clothes up here in small town ...might have to buy one & even pay list!