Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Rec Soccer Anyone?

I've become increasingly interested in soccer over the last couple years, first playing FIFA then watching quite a bit of UEFA and Premiere League.

Started in a league a few weeks ago and it's been a blast so far. Got a double header tonight, woot!

Anyone else playing this summer?
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

We have a fantastic adult league in my town. 4 men's divisions plus coed and women's divisions. It is awesome!

I've played soccer my whole life but after college it was tougher to find games for a while. After a few years I found this league and have been playing ever since. Indoor and outdoor. Just finished the summer season. Fall starts up in a couple of weeks and runs through November. Skiing and soccer; two of my favorite sports!

I've been playing indoor for about a year now at Starfire (training complex where the Sounders practice) near Seattle. Hadn't played since high school and I'm completely addicted! To the point where I bring a ball with me everywhere I go and actually try to practice some. My wife tells me I'm a dork, ha ha.. she's probably right. A local TGR league would be really rad. We could be the TGR Dentites.

I'm glad to see soccer (the REAL football) slowly making inroads into the American psyche.

Seems all kids in elementary school and middle school seem to love soccer, and play it energetically, but by the time they leave high school, its usually been replaced by a desire to watch American football, basketball and baseball...a real pity because soccer is such a fantastic sport.

I love playing soccer, and still do whenever and wherever I can find a decent pick-up game. I can think of few team sports better adapted to keeping oneself in shape through the years. It puts together skills of eye-foot coordination, speed, strength and especially stamina...and you need ALL of those to play well.

If you want to keep fit and have a blast at the same time, join or start a neighborhood pick-up league!!!!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

I've been playing on and off as time permits for the last 3 years or so. Enjoy the hell out of it, but I've also sufered several injuries solely because of asshole players who get overaggressive for a rec league. I really wanted to hurt the guy who broke my rib, while screaming at him that winning a game in an over-30, coed, indoor soccer league really didn't justify checking the keeper (me) into the wall at 15 miles an hour.

Quote Originally Posted by GordonShumway View Post
    I've been playing indoor for about a year now at Starfire (training complex where the Sounders practice) near Seattle. Hadn't played since high school and I'm completely addicted! To the point where I bring a ball with me everywhere I go and actually try to practice some. My wife tells me I'm a dork, ha ha.. she's probably right. A local TGR league would be really rad. We could be the TGR Dentites.
    Starfire is awesome, im wearing one of my champion shirts now [/brag haha]. Living nearby was a great way to keep in shape. I moved away from Seattle, and now I just have crappy intramural soccer. Sunday night 8v8 was the best, when all 7 guys who showed up weren't still hungover that is.
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

Quote Originally Posted by GordonShumway View Post
    Shit dude, I've been playing coed indoor at Arena sports, which is nice cuz I was worried about finding a good league to play in after college. Gotta give it up during ski season though. Just "slightly sprained" my ankle last month and it's still on the mend.

A TGR team would be fucking sweet.
    "Alpine rock and steep, deep powder are what I seek, and I will always find solace there." - Bean Bowers

photos

Yikes! Ankle is not happy this morning, small price to pay though.

I fully support the idea of a TGR soccer team. Go Dentites!
    "...no hobby should either seek or need rational justification. To find reasons why it is useful or beneficial converts it at once from an avocation into an industry, lowers it at once to the ignominious category of an exercise undertaken for health, power or profit."
    -Aldo Leopold

I've played all my life, can't quit playing. Love the game, you have to be quick in the feet and even quicker in the mind. People who don't play just don't understand the beautiful game.

How about a TGR soccer and riding fantasy camp, we could ski all day and play soccer in the evenings.

Maybe we should just turn this into the 12-13 EPL, CL, Euro soccer Thread.

WTF is happening to Arsenal, phuck me and my gunners. But even with all the departures I still feel we can compete for a top 4 spot.

Man U losing to Everton, yikes.

Man City escaping by the skin of their teeth, agan

Liverpool losing ugly, again, AVB looking pathetic as usual.

What an opening weekend in the EPL.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTGR Forums1345591168.508441.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	212.1 KB 
ID:	119588

6 year old Owen with his new goalkeeping kit. He wants to keep because I did.

3 broken noses, a couple busted teeth, broken fingers, cracked ribs and a destroyed shoulder. He can't say I didn't warn him.
    I didn't believe in reincarnation when I was your age either.

I have played in the coed league in Vail every summer since I was a junior in high school. It is a blast, especially since we have won it several times. The season just ended last Monday and we won again.

bump for World Cup qualifiers

plenty of games on ESPN

Live Footie on the web

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    I'm glad to see soccer (the REAL football) slowly making inroads into the American psyche.

--
    Oh my god you are a tool.

FlyandSki- want a good workout? Come play Ultimate with the Tampa Bay leagues. We make rec soccer guys puke regularly, but they keep coming back for more.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tamp...imate/members/

look at events and files for pickup games and beach games.

I took the summer off, but will be back in full force for Winter League.
    There is a fun tournament in January to check out if you are interested, and Nationals is held every year the week before Halloween in Sarasota at the polo grounds.
    Fun time, and you get to see the best players in the country, all in our backyard.

I play pick-up here in Balmer every chance I get. It's a great multi-national feel (jamaicans, trinidadians, scottish, irish, english, french, west african etc). Haven't played in a league in over 10 years.

Anywho, just saw the second half of the Russia - Portugal game. Ronaldo is such a whiny bitch. Ruskies 1 Portugal nil.

Armenia just tied it up against Italia

Quote Originally Posted by warthog View Post
    Oh my god you are a tool.

FlyandSki- want a good workout? Come play Ultimate with the Tampa Bay leagues. We make rec soccer guys puke regularly, but they keep coming back for more.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/tamp...imate/members/

look at events and files for pickup games and beach games.

I took the summer off, but will be back in full force for Winter League.
    There is a fun tournament in January to check out if you are interested, and Nationals is held every year the week before Halloween in Sarasota at the polo grounds.
    Fun time, and you get to see the best players in the country, all in our backyard.
    I'm in Orlando now, but I've been thinking about Ultimate. Def gonna continue soccer, but I need to be playing more sports during the week as regular exercise bores me. Just gotta see how busy I am this fall.

Also, falconry season is getting going... if you want to see some hawks and falcons do some killing, shoot me a pm.
    -Aldo Leopold

that sounds fun

Recreational soccer (or footie, as the brits say) is great !!

You don't even need to find an official league or club....just maybe 10 guys who all wanna play a couple days a week. 5 person teams. I've even played with 3-person teams....works well. One goalie, one defense, one offense. We usually set up the goals on a half-size field for 3 man.

GREAT way to stay in shape while having fun at same time!!

--
    "The reason death sticks so closely to life isn't biological necessity - it's envy. Life is so beautiful that death has fallen in love with it; a jealous, possesive love that grabs at what it can." by Yann Martel from Life of Pi

Posted by DJSapp:
    "Squirrels are rats with good PR."

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    I'm in Orlando now, but I've been thinking about Ultimate. Def gonna continue soccer, but I need to be playing more sports during the week as regular exercise bores me. Just gotta see how busy I am this fall.

Also, falconry season is getting going... if you want to see some hawks and falcons do some killing, shoot me a pm.
    There are some good pick up games in Orlando too if you are interested. I used to play on a masters team with the guy that runs Space Coast Ultimate. My daughter would go nuts watching falcons. I`ll pm you.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan Rover View Post
    Recreational soccer (or footie, as the brits say) is great !!

You don't even need to find an official league or club....just maybe 10 guys who all wanna play a couple days a week. 5 person teams. I've even played with 3-person teams....works well. One goalie, one defense, one offense. We usually set up the goals on a half-size field for 3 man.

GREAT way to stay in shape while having fun at same time!!

--
    Dude, when I was in training back in the day, I used to play 1 v 1 full field, uphill both ways.

Reno has a new indoor league(s) - Check out Reno Sportsdome, supercool indoor place with a BAR!!! One whole side of the field is glass and the bar is just behind so the "fans" can razz you during the game. Its pretty cool.

http://www.renodome.com/
    ... jfost is really ignorant, he often just needs simple facts laid out for him...

Little Owen had an excellent game Saturday! Inspired goalkeeping in the first half. Two downright amazing saves. We've got to work on his distribution, though. Solid defending at fullback in the second half. He's figuring it out. Super proud papa right here.
    Just finished watching Northern Ireland v Portugal. I won't give the score in case anyone wants to watch the replay on ESPN3. Suffice to say that Roy Carroll is a fucking animal in the net.

Quote Originally Posted by Grape_Ape View Post
    Dude, when I was in training back in the day, I used to play 1 v 1 full field, uphill both ways.
    in the snow!

Quote Originally Posted by flyandski365 View Post
    I've become increasingly interested in soccer over the last couple years, first playing FIFA then watching quite a bit of UEFA and Premiere League.

Started in a league a few weeks ago and it's been a blast so far. Got a double header tonight, woot!

Anyone else playing this summer?
    Alas, I don't have enough hair left to coif into the required faux hawk that male diva soccer players sport.
    More cowbell!!!