Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

How come Canadian's are so Cheap?

seriously, 0-5 percent?
    get your shit together hosehead's.

http://kplr11.com/2012/08/17/cheap-c...aurant-checks/
    crab in my shoe mouth

Lots of Canadians are of Scottish decent. Scotts are cheap bastards. So take off, eh?

^^^^Exactly what I was thinking. You've never met a more frugal bunch than my mom and her sisters whose mom came from Scotland.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Probably because we don't feel like throwing our money away at shitty service. Really, mandatory tips? Just another name for a handout. What is America, some sort of commie welfare state?
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

^^^^^^^^^^^

And really - what's 10 quid to the bloody Midland Bank?

“I think there is people in every country that doesn’t tip well.”

yeah, and servers fuck with them too, plus the poor grammar......

Good job VT servers, now the police will step in and shut it down, boo.
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

The Calgary, Alberta rich oil snobs are the most annoying people on earth. They're all yuppy'd out, they have more money than brains, they don't tip, they're rude stumbling drunks, they where stupid glasses, and I hate them more than Texans and California pricks combined.

Now B.C., they're totally opposite, I love B.C., I'd love to adopt them into the Union. Canada can keep Vancouver, I just want interior B.C., let's start a war, invade Canada, take the oil in Alberta and plant an American flag in the Canadian Rockies. Now that's a plan.

If you think Canadians are bad tippers, wait until you get a Brit! I think the rest of the world just don't tip like Americans, even though they realize American servers don't get paid unless they tip. It's a big middle finger to Americanism.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

always tip when I'm in the US or Canada, usually about 20pc if the service has been half-way decent.

I don't know about Canadians but Texans never tip.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Wait, is this about black people?

Quote Originally Posted by That was Pontus View Post
    Probably because we don't feel like throwing our money away at shitty service. Really, mandatory tips? Just another name for a handout. What is America, some sort of commie welfare state?
    Well you should stay home, cook your own dinner, and mix your own drink ya fuckin' monkey.

Quote Originally Posted by scotia View Post
    always tip when I'm in the US or Canada, usually about 20pc if the service has been half-way decent.
    Shit, where ever we travel, we tip the waiters, etc 20%+, leave cash for the maids at check out. Hopefully I have made some peoples day.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Having spent many a summer in Maine, the Beckies not only don't tip, but they cut you off, steal your candy, eat babies and worse. Not all of them; just most of them. But at least most of them look good while douching you.

I always thought it had something with Quebec feeling that they are better than the Canadians to their west and the Americans to their south. I mean, they do speak French, and all.

But, more importantly, can you please fix that apostrophe OP? It makes Americans look dumb.

and whats up with doctors not tipping?
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

Quote Originally Posted by Ottime View Post
    Having spent many a summer in Maine, the Beckies not only don't tip, but they cut you off, steal your candy, eat babies and worse. Not all of them; just most of them. But at least most of them look good while douching you.

I always thought it had something with Quebec feeling that they are better than the Canadians to their west and the Americans to their south. I mean, they do speak French, and all.

But, more importantly, can you please fix that apostrophe OP? It makes Americans look dumb.

My favorite is when you run into a whole group or family on the sidewalk going the opposite direction. just save yourself the time and move way out of their way, cuz they're not going to
    Quote Originally Posted by Hohes View Post
    I couldn't give a fuck, but today I am procrastinating so TGR is my filler.
    Quote Originally Posted by skifishbum View Post
    faceshots are a powerful currency
    get paid

The amount of tip I leave depends on circumstances AND service. Sometimes it's not the waitperson's fault the service sucks. The place might be short-handed and the server just has too many tables to deal with and/or the kitchen might be really slow. If I see the server running their ass off to handle a lot of tables or tables with lots of people then I'm not going to ding them for not delivering the best, most attentive service. If the food takes a long time to arrive and the server at least checks in to let us know the kitchen is running slow I won't ding them for that, either. But, if the server simply disappears from the floor for long periods of time, doesn't check in on us and doesn't get the food there quick and the place isn't especially busy, I gotta figure they don't really care and the tip will reflect that. I've left a less than 5% tip before and wrote "terrible service" on the receipt, but that's only happened once. Most of the time I'm pretty generous. I worked in restaurants after high school and during college and know how that game works. It's a shitty business for the most part and I feel sorry for the people working in mid-level restaurants and always hope it's just a stepping stone to something better for them.

OTOH, there's this sushi restaurant in Belltown I've been going to regularly for a few years now. I know all the bartenders by name and always tip big. In return they hook us up - hold seats for us, free beers, quick service, etc.
    ...Some will fall in love with life and drink it from a fountain that is pouring like an avalanche coming down the mountain...

"I enjoy skinny skiing, bullfights on acid..." - Lacy Underalls

The problems we face will not be solved by the minds that created them.

Because you get what you pay for.

American waitresses don't give blowies in the backroom, so we don't tip well when we're there.

Is this the part of the thread where we say that we make sure their mom get's the tip and then some ?

Quote Originally Posted by powder11 View Post
    even though they realize American servers don't get paid unless they tip.
    Brit here...If I don't tip a server he won't get paid? Is that right? Where the fuck does the money for my bill go then because it sure isn't fucking cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Hayduke View Post
    Brit here...If I don't tip a server he won't get paid? Is that right? Where the fuck does the money for my bill go then because it sure isn't fucking cheap.
    Lots of places in the USA minimum wage for wait staff is ~$3/hour. So yea, and where minimum wage is higher, they're still getting minimum wage.

And FWIW to whoever said something about black folks, well I can tell you that they are as likely to tip as anyone else.

Pizza delivery guy, going through college on my gi Bill.
    But Ellen kicks ass - if she had a beard it would be much more haggard. -Jer

Further evidence:
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/htm...nadians18.html

The city of Burlington welcomes Canadian shoppers. It says so on Facebook.

The page hailing Canadians is Burlington's effort at damage control now that national attention has shone on another Facebook page that complains about overcrowding at Costco Wholesale and other big-box stores in nearby Bellingham.

A Bellingham resident posted the first page a month ago, calling for the local Costco to create special hours just for U.S. shoppers.

"The lines are crazy. The overcrowding is causing some to be rude," that page says.

Burlington's response: "We do not want our Canadian friends and neighbors to feel unwelcome in Northwest Washington," said city administrator Bryan Harrison, who said the welcome page was Mayor Steve Sexton's idea. "Some activities lately on Facebook have sent the wrong message that folks aren't welcome. Here in Burlington, you are welcome."

Higher prices in Canada have long driven that country's residents to head south for deals, a phenomenon that picked up in recent years as the value of the Canadian dollar reached parity with the U.S. dollar.

A Bank of Montreal report recently estimated that Canadians spend more than $20 billion a year shopping in the United States.

The issue became more volatile earlier this year, when the Canadian government raised the duty-free limit for Canadians shopping in the states.

"Our membership was caught completely off guard," said Shafiq Jamal, the Retail Council of Canada's vice president for Western Canada.

Canadian retailers are also at a disadvantage because of years-old tariffs on imports, he said. And suppliers charge Canadian retailers more, arguing that that's what the market can bear and that distribution costs are higher in Canada.

The issue for some U.S. shoppers is crowding.

Georgiana Sorensen, a Costco member since 1991, stopped frequenting the Costco in Bellingham a couple years ago after watching two drivers with British Columbia plates lose their tempers over an open parking space.

"It scared the liver out of us, and we said, 'Let's get out of here,' " said Sorensen, who had not heard about the Facebook pages. She now shops 30 minutes south at the Costco in Burlington.

Other U.S. shoppers have learned when to avoid the crowds.

Getting in and out before noon works for Joan Baker of Whatcom County, a longtime Costco member who says special hours for Americans would be "ridiculous."

(A Costco official said the Bellingham store will increase its hours beginning Monday, but has no plans for special U.S. shopping hours.)

Canadian shoppers are "a boon not just to Whatcom County but to Costco, and it's a business that can hire more people and offer more products," Baker said. "They bring a lot of revenue into the county."

Small-business owners appreciate the Canadian shoppers, too.

Sarah Hutton, manager of Village Books and the gift shop Paper Dreams in Bellingham's historic Fairhaven district, increases staffing on Canadian holiday weekends — and relishes it.

"We look forward to those three-day weekends, because we know there are going to be a lot of people in the stores," Hutton said.

Bellingham Mayor Kelli Linville weighed in with a statement on the city's website: "The unpleasant comments we've seen on social media regarding Canadians are offensive and inappropriate, and do not represent the opinions of the vast majority of residents of Bellingham and Whatcom County."

Even the Facebook page titled "Bellingham Costco needs a special time just for Americans" recently scolded some commenters.

"Some of you Americans should be ashamed of yourselves with the really bad things you have said, along with you Canadians saying some way off topic very hatefull [sic] things. ... I just want a better quality of life for everyone, including our wonderful Canadians visiting our very beautiful city," a recent post said, adding that the page will soon disappear. "By the way, yes the title was offensive, it was meant to get your attention, but don't judge the book by its cover please."

The flap barely ruffled Jim and Elaine Methven of Vancouver, B.C., who recently filled a cart at the Bellingham Costco with a dozen gallons of milk — a sure sign that a shopper is Canadian, given particularly high dairy prices in their home country. They bring coolers in their cars, and the Methvens were taking back extra milk for the families of their grown children.

"It didn't bother me too much," Elaine Methven said. "It's like a sale when you come down here."
    Dude chill its the padded room. -AKPM

sometimes when I drive home from work, especially on Fridays, probably 3/4 of the cars are Canadian... I would get home faster if it weren't for them. How dare they come and spend money in my town! What are they thinking, those selfish, cheap jerks!?