Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Hey it's America, I'm pretty sure you can shoot anyone you want to.

Hugh Conway Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by iceman View Post
    People saying shit is "mandatory" are dead wrong, it's always "suggested" and "customary". But if you are from a group that tips like shit, don't be surprised if the high-roller with a babe on his arm gets the attention and you get your food and that's about it. You get what you pay for. Stereotypes don't arise from nowhere. Servers play the angles like anyone else, most just don't do it very well.
    meh, quibble like ilikedookie over semantics. 20% is now "mandatory" to be in the crowd, which is silly. particularly because they expect you to tip for the total value including booze. WTF should I double the tip because of good wine? Especially compared to rounds of beer, which are more work. And why should I tip better for smarmy attitude? poorly playing the angle and substituting faux charm for what I want - a warm meal, on time.

And you put this little gem of international social activism into action by chumping the 20-year-old girl with a kid and no husband who's trying to make ends meet by hustling her ass off for you? And then you wonder why you (i.e. Canadians) you get treated like shit at American establishments? Moron. Just fucking stay home. We'd rather not see you at all. Save your precious cash for a petition drive.
    Nowhere did I say I don't tip. I know it's not the waitress's fault that the system sucks. Max tip for me is 15% on great service, unless I am with a group and someone else is making the calculation, then I'll just go with the flow.

My opinion on the subject is tipping should not be needed and owners should calculate all wages into the real cost. My actions is tipping at or below the 15%.

I'm with shirk & all the other bad people.

If American society is fkd to the point that all servers are getting paid $4/hour, & are single parents with 15 kids, & are at school, & have to report their gross receipts then THAT'S NOT MY CONCERN. If food / service / vibe of a restaurant is shite then the tip should be shite as well. Welfare / social security payments have their place in society but IMHO should be funded by taxes not by my tips.

Many times I've left more tip than was deserved at local establishments (small town), only because I know I'll even worse service next time. This also means I like eating in places in other towns because if the service sucks then I can leave the deservedly low tip without worrying if I'll get served next time.

PS: the thing I like best is eating back home where zero tip is 100% normal because min wages are more liveable.

Tipping standards are retarded. So is not tipping. Think about the following scenarios:

Steve's Burger Palace - burger costs $10, you tip $2 = $12 out the door

Joe's Burger Palace - big sign out front saying "WE PAY OUR SERVERS A LIVING WAGE - PLEASE DON'T FEEL YOU ARE REQUIRED TO TIP"

Burger costs $12, what's the difference?

So the current tipping convention is a combination of you paying the servers wage directly (think haircut or shoe shine) and a potential commission for good service. Waiting tables is a giant step above being a minimum wage register jockey or cleaning the shitters at Wally World. They made a choice to be commissioned sales people. This is where your "don't not tip for bad food" logic sucks. You walk into a car dealership, sales guy is great, car sucks. He don't get paid. That's his choice. Go work at a better dealership. Go to a restaurant, food sucks, tip suffers. Go work at a better restaurant. What's the difference. They both chose to work in a commissioned sales environment.

I told the last waitress that asked for the tip, "Honey, 20% is gonna get you a whole hell of lot more than just the tip..."
    Life is simple. Go Explore.

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post
    My opinion on the subject is tipping should not be needed and owners should calculate all wages into the real cost. My actions is tipping at or below the 15%.
    Again with your opinion about how America should be. Fuck your opinion and fuck you.

Quote Originally Posted by AdironRider View Post
    10% confirms this Canadian is fucking cheap.

And any server who has been in the industry for more than one season knows to give cash back in tip denominations so to speak, but the server isnt going to go out of his way to make it happen, ESPECIALLY given that only about 1% of people pay for a dinner of any real value in cash. Bar food different story, but I think I can count on one hand the amount of times I was paid in cash in my last year of serving a decent restuarant. That was a couple years ago at this point, I imagine that number has gone down even more today.

The comment above is laughable in that it assumes the server is THE FUCKING MAN at any restuarant. Food sucks is more of a kitchen issue, and if the owner blows and they are running short staffed its not the servers fault.

Thats not to say a lot of servers arent jaded and expect tips for nothing. But I think those are the minority.
    Most businesses still take cash and the fact I put a stack of bills down would be the clue that I am paying with cash, when they don't give me change back in denominations that allow tipping it makes me wonder what they are thinking ...obviuosly not about getting a tip?

its the servers watch period, he/she can choose to serve shitty food and get no tip or good food and get tip (in barat voice) isnt America wonderful !

!0-15 % in Canada is normal and I never go to america ... I am afraid of getting shot eh?

I would shoot you. Once for fun. A second time to be sure.

Stay in C-eh, eh?

you must come to Canada , remember to bring lots of money and almost no chance of getting shot?

We have Frozen Tundra in AK, we don't need to visit yours.

Bashed with a log? Stomped by a RCMP
    horse?
    #HughConwayMatters

(I actually love Canada, but some Canadians...)

(and I know it works both ways, thanks for your concern)

We have Frozen Tundra in AK, we don't need to visit yours.
    you know the AK people think less of the lower 48 than they do of Canada eh ?

actualy nowadays due to Enbridge here in northern BC we hate Albertans > we hated Americans, so on river shuttles Albertans get the deal we used to give Americans, I even gave some Coloradians a volume discount last season

but of course they were democrats ... republicans get the same deal as Albertans eh?

Quote Originally Posted by shirk View Post

Owners pay your got damn staff a living wage.
    One thing I've noticed is that food prices per plate in Canada are really expensive AND the server expects a 15% tip, so the overall cost is ridiculous. Thats not just Whistler either. Paying $15-$20 for a burger plate is pretty common, where as that same plate in restaurant down in the states is $10-$15, so the owners have reflected price into the equation and you are expected to make up the difference for the server. I don't think 15% is stiffing anybody, so as long as you cough that up, you can tell Iceman to go fuck himself in jeans.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    even though it is an almost completely unknown practice in Britain.
    quit pretending to be a pom and go back to oz you fucking kangaroo!

Quote Originally Posted by jamesp View Post
    If American society is fkd to the point that all servers are getting paid $4/hour, & are single parents with 15 kids, & are at school, & have to report their gross receipts then THAT'S NOT MY CONCERN.
    It is if you choose to go out to eat. If you can't afford that or have such a moral problem with it, then I suggest you avoid the states all together and stay in whatever euro fantasyland about to implode that it is you're from.
    Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature... Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. -Helen Keller

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    you know the AK people think less of the lower 48 than they do of Canada eh ?
    I don't know how you quantify a sentiment, but I do know that 80% of you hosers live within a hundred miles of the US border, so I guess somebody likes us.

The best tippers are people who have ever worked the job, because they know it's hard fucking work. There are few people I respect less than shitty tippers.

I do know that 80% of you hosers live within a hundred miles of the US border, so I guess somebody likes us.
    thank god and I can only hope they stay down there which is not a problem because its too damn cold up here for most of those pussies and there are not enough starbucks eh?

I don't know how you quantify a sentiment, but I do know that 80% of you hosers live within a hundred miles of the US border, so I guess somebody likes us.
    That or they are assembling for the invasion.

My cousins used to live in Buffalo, and every time we went up to visit, at some point, my father would muse about his fond dream of seeing tanks rolling North across the Peace Bridge. "One Division", he'd say. "One Division is all it would take.".

He was in The Big Red One, so I always assumed that's who he'd nominate for the job.

"Victory"

Big believer in Manifest Destiny, my Pops.

Quote Originally Posted by XXX-er View Post
    Most businesses still take cash and the fact I put a stack of bills down would be the clue that I am paying with cash, when they don't give me change back in denominations that allow tipping it makes me wonder what they are thinking ...obviuosly not about getting a tip?

its the servers watch period, he/she can choose to serve shitty food and get no tip or good food and get tip (in barat voice) isnt America wonderful !

!0-15 % in Canada is normal and I never go to america ... I am afraid of getting shot eh?
    Sweet rant douchebag, everyone knows places still take cash, my point is it never fucking happens anymore, so to expect a server to read your mind and bring back change exactly how you see fit is not on top of their priorities if the restaurant is worth its salt.

And it is not exclusively the servers watch. You didnt like the taste of something? Boo fucking hoo but thats not the servers fault. You sound like a dictator who demands people eat his food first to see if its poisoned. How exactly is the server supposed to know if you are going to like the taste of something exactly?
    Live Free or Die

Quote Originally Posted by TahoeJ View Post
    The best tippers are people who have ever worked the job, because they know it's hard fucking work. There are few people I respect less than shitty tippers.
    QFT- I often say to my wife I almost think working on restaurants should be compulsory. Like going in the army in some countries...
    No Roger, No Rerun, No Rent

How often do you say it?

Quote Originally Posted by OldLarry View Post
    QFT- I often say to my wife I almost think working on restaurants should be compulsory. Like going in the army in some countries...
    Fixing the roof?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........