Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    Got a TDI wagon, 45 miles to gallon. Really love it.

We have a Chevy Traverse and its been great for our 2 toddlers. I realize its not a Touaeg but the Buick Enclave is very nice. We have the awd version and the mileage isn't great but it is a huge vehicle. We just did a 1300 mile trip and averaged 18 with a cargo box on top, cargo rack on back, 3 adults and 2 kids. The reason we went for the Traverse is the third row and the amount of storage available behind the third row. With our two toddlers, we needed a double side by side jogging stroller (which you'll also want) and it would fit in the traverse with the third row up.

Also, since we got the third row, its been very handy and we've used it alot.

Bumping this - last comment in 2012...Could also fit in the what car now thread. Several interesting events in the TDI world and was wondering how the Touaregs have been treating everyone.

1) Obviously, the well known diesel gate fix that slightly impacted fuel economy and potentially power, but its still a great motor.
    2) Buyback. I know several people who essentially made money turning in their beloved TDIs, but regret it.

Compelling reason to go this route:
    1) they wont be bringing the TDIs to the states for some time/maybe never.
    2) CANNOT stand my Tacoma any longer. Perhaps living @ 10k may make the motor worse, but even in Denver, my '17 TRD is exactly that - a turd...
    3) Q5 TDIs are super hard to come by. I had one held, but it was in Tulsa. No deals to be had and this one didnt have a factory receiver hitch - which is ~$1,500
    4) Towing for camper/hunt rigs likely is substantially better than most, including some full size trucks (anecdotal).
    5) Touaregs seem to have great snow drivability, TDI has ample power and can be had with decent warranty still on powertrain + emissions (due to diesel-gate).

Where are the previous owners at with these now?

thx

Talk me out of this: buying a TDI Touareg...

Recently bought the 3.0 TDI Cayenne. It’s everything I dreamed it to be. I’ve got another Pcar so I’m always on the Porsche forum Rennlist. On there everyday owners were gushing over the diesel to the point I had a hard look and it checked all my box’s. The deal sealer is the amazing warranty associated to dieselgate. Every car has an automatic extra 2 yr bumper to bumper. If you buy a Certified pre-own from Porsche the warranty goes additional 4 on top of that (in some cases).
    So in the end my Cayenne has a 10 yr unlimited bumper to bumper Porsche factory warranty. In my case till 6/25 then additional 2 yr on powertrain (12 yr powertrain). So for 8 years from now I just roll into dealership no worries.

The driving and handling are on another level. The towing is strong up passes and at elevation.

Here’s the best but difficult part. Get a ‘15 they’re rare but it’s the last year and had the Porsche facelift. This ride will hold its value for a long time. When I bought over the summer there were only 10 such CPO Cayenne’s nationwide and I went all they way to Jacksonville and drove home to Seattle. 32.6 mpg on the trip and 5 tanks to make it almost 3,000 miles at 80 mph avg and <3 days. It’s a rare beauty. Diesel Porsche.

Then totally debadge it for a low key look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4190.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	808.1 KB 
ID:	293992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4056.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	652.8 KB 
ID:	293993

I would ping Yooper. He traded for a newer one from the one he posted about in this thread right during the TDI scandal and came out really well with the discounts and a huge gift card I think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

I see a blue 911 on Union Hill Road sometimes. I'll wave next time.
    With 150k on the s4, I'm pondering a cayenne but I want something lower.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Talk me out of this: buying a TDI Touareg...

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I see a blue 911 on Union Hill Road sometimes. I'll wave next time.
    With 150k on the s4, I'm pondering a cayenne but I want something lower.
    Don’t wave- stick your thumb out for a ride!
    No hyperbole I would have a hard time choosing between keeping one of those cars, the Cayenne is that good/useful.
    It’s also my wife’s daily when she doesn’t walk or bike to work. We could not make use of a 3/4 diesel truck for our living. And don’t have to.

I love that S4, Buster. CL’s rig ain’t so bad I guess

Wife’s 15 Q5 TDI has been great and ended up being almost 12k cheaper than an Allroad. , after the cash back.
    Don’t add an aftermarket tow package to any VW. Too many electronic gremlins.

Cycology1 - go to the TDI club forums online and go into the touareg threads. You'll be up to speed pretty quick with pre/post dieselgate opinions there.

I love my 2.0 VW JSW TDI. Got 47 mpg coming down a long pass and flat valley over 65 miles, yesterday. And diesel is cheaper here right now.

I love my manual s4, it's a 2006 v8; not so fast off the line, but the 60-90 acceleration is raw and the balance on slick roads is fantastic.

With the lack of selection in awd manual station wagons, it's either some suv like thing or a new engine and refurb of the s4 at some point.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

On a genuine ol' fashioned authentic steam powered aereoplane
    This might just be a montana thing: Recently seen a couple TDI Touaregs that have been modded/deleted/re-piped to sound like fucking 3500 Cummins. Fucking awesome really.

Love the TDI Cayenne, but really prefer a wagon that my old dogs can easily jump into and the driving dynamics of a non SUV. Retiring in 2020, so scaling back the price point I will pay. Not a big fan of the looks, but a 2014/16 Merc 350 wagon seems to check off the boxes I need for around $30k. I wish it was a TDI, but that is a pipe dream in N.A.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Quote Originally Posted by Buster Highmen View Post
    I love my manual s4, it's a 2006 v8; not so fast off the line, but the 60-90 acceleration is raw and the balance on slick roads is fantastic.

With the lack of selection in awd manual station wagons, it's either some suv like thing or a new engine and refurb of the s4 at some point.

Der Outey quadchainenstretchen (mit nur einem kaputt) :

Name:  V8_audi_timing_chain_failure_repair_1.jpg
Views: 344
Size:  124.0 KB

It's like taxation with representation on those who like raw 60-90 pull, and fantastic balance on slick roads in a wagon with Bavarian winter sports cachet.

https://redlinespeedworx.com/blog/au...the-real-story

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    I would ping Yooper. He traded for a newer one from the one he posted about in this thread right during the TDI scandal and came out really well with the discounts and a huge gift card I think.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
    Cool, will do. Unfortunately, the original owners banked the scandal bribe...

Quote Originally Posted by CascadeLuke View Post
    Recently bought the 3.0 TDI Cayenne. It’s everything I dreamed it to be. I’ve got another Pcar so I’m always on the Porsche forum Rennlist. On there everyday owners were gushing over the diesel to the point I had a hard look and it checked all my box’s. The deal sealer is the amazing warranty associated to dieselgate. Every car has an automatic extra 2 yr bumper to bumper. If you buy a Certified pre-own from Porsche the warranty goes additional 4 on top of that (in some cases).
    So in the end my Cayenne has a 10 yr unlimited bumper to bumper Porsche factory warranty. In my case till 6/25 then additional 2 yr on powertrain (12 yr powertrain). So for 8 years from now I just roll into dealership no worries.

The driving and handling are on another level. The towing is strong up passes and at elevation.

Here’s the best but difficult part. Get a ‘15 they’re rare but it’s the last year and had the Porsche facelift. This ride will hold its value for a long time. When I bought over the summer there were only 10 such CPO Cayenne’s nationwide and I went all they way to Jacksonville and drove home to Seattle. 32.6 mpg on the trip and 5 tanks to make it almost 3,000 miles at 80 mph avg and <3 days. It’s a rare beauty. Diesel Porsche.

Then totally debadge it for a low key look.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4190.JPG 
Views:	106 
Size:	808.1 KB 
ID:	293992Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4056.JPG 
Views:	115 
Size:	652.8 KB 
ID:	293993
    That is nice! U solved the repair issue, which was my biggest point of concern.

Oh and yeah, debadged it looks like a kia haha

Quote Originally Posted by cycology1 View Post
    debadged it looks like a kia haha
    I guess. Maybe to a non-car guy. I like the clean understated look. The aim is to fool for Touareg type in the ski lot and avoid being a target when parked around shady neighborhoods.

That was a joke.. super nice looking cae and performance to boot. Ive put my search on hold til i get back from my biz trip and am going to add the P to my search