Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Sounds like you should buy whatever your wife tells you to?
    Quote Originally Posted by Downbound Train View Post
    And there will come a day when our ancestors look back...........

If the numbers are even close, look at the ML Bluetec. My wife had an ML500, and that is just about the fastest damn vehicle, next to my dad's C-5 Vette, that I have ever been in. So well built, and so comfortable. Amazingly, with 2 rear facing child seats, it will still be a tight fit. We moved on to a 2010 Denali, bad gas mileage, but awesome vehicle. 15,000 or less miles per year, so not a big deal. We got the captain's chairs in the back. Makes all the difference with 2 kids.

Not a very big sample size on the Toyota Highlander Hybrid but here are numbers from Fuelly.com

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/highlander/hybrid%20v6
    2012 no trucks tracked
    2011 2 trucks tracked for 10k averaging 26.7
    2010 3 trucks for 25,333 averaging 26.2 mpg

http://www.fuelly.com/car/volkswagen/touareg
    2012 25 trucks 185k averaging 24.6
    2011 average 23.7

^^IMO damned impressive for that beast.

I love this Fuelly website.

While it is true that diesels rule the long haul highway segment of the mileage spectrum most people don't spend all the time on the freeway.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-17-2012 at 07:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    Got twins on the way (our first, and hopefully last addition to the family...) and our current cars don't have the room to fit two infant seats and the stroller without pushing the driver into the steering wheel and fully occupying the trunk.
    New Passat has plenty of rear legroom, and they sell it in a TDI. I know somebody with twins who has outboard rear facing baby seats no prob. Couldn't do that in the Volvo wagon, the cargo space is huge but the tradeoff is reduced rear seat legroom. No 4x4 but maybe in a few years the Passat Alltrak will be out (here's hoping).

Quote Originally Posted by PNWbrit View Post
    Sounds like you should buy whatever your wife tells you to?
    ...and this is how we survive the second half of the pregnancy...

farfromgroven'

Quote Originally Posted by uglymoney View Post
    Not real good numbers from Fuelly.com on the Toyota Highlander Hybrid

http://www.fuelly.com/car/toyota/highlander/hybrid%20v6
    2012 no trucks tracked
    2011 2 trucks tracked for 10k averaging 26.7
    2010 3 trucks for 25,333 averaging 26.2 mpg

IMO 26.5 mpg for that size AWD vehicle is pretty good

Quote Originally Posted by coltrain View Post
    IMO 26.5 mpg for that size AWD vehicle is pretty good
    Agreed, it is better than the Outback for instance and the Highlander has more room inside (37 cubic feet vs 34.3) I meant to say that the sample size isn't big enough to paint a real clear picture with only five trucks in the sample for 10 and 11 and no twelves. I can see that I didn't make myself clear - went back and edited my post.

This is a good page to check out for cargo vs mileage. They list the class leader for the wagons (V) at 32 cubic feet when it is actually 34.3. Highlander Hybrid leads its class and the Touareg is a runner up.
    Last edited by uglymoney; 08-17-2012 at 08:07 PM.

Your kids will be front facing before you know it. Get the car that makes sense for you now, and if that means new car seats for the next six months, so be it.
    HTML Code:
    https://youtu.be/hhVylFtE2YE

What about the Nissan X-trail - Rogue in the US? - 32mpg, carry more.

Quote Originally Posted by 4matic View Post
    Same platform as Porsche Cayenne: Expensive tires, VERY expensive brakes, questionable reliability of transfer case.
    Quote Originally Posted by FormerKnuckleDragger View Post
    I'm not sure the Touareg gets the same Brembo treatment as the Porsche...but I'm handy with a can of red spraypaint, if you know what I mean...
    Listent to that guy. The brakes are one thing. If it was a manual, go for it!
    Terje was right.

"We're all kooks to somebody else." -Shelby Menzel

Quote Originally Posted by robgoose View Post
    Your kids will be front facing before you know it. Get the car that makes sense for you now, and if that means new car seats for the next six months, so be it.
    ^^^^^^^ qft

Taking a hit on the seats is way cheaper than doing so on the vehicle, whatever the right vehicle is.

Don't get those big fuckin all in one system-stroller-car seat-play pen-changing table monstrosities. They are a serious pain in the ass - not worth it at all.

Just make sure whatever you get has three rows of seats or you will regret it very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    What about the Nissan X-trail - Rogue in the US? - 32mpg, carry more.
    Terrible AWD. Rented one and it had trouble making it up a not so steep gravel road. Would not recommend.
    Perhaps you'd be more comfortable on epicski or Paula's Ski Lovers, AltaNancy.

Quote Originally Posted by Mofro261 View Post
    With the price of diesel soaring above gas maybe less of an advantage as I think he gets closer to 18-20 mpg.
    this ^^, what good is higher fuel milage when the fuel costs more?

of course you folks factored that into the figures?

You folks did run figures right ... or do you just want one ?

Diesel is mostly < RUG up here but doesn't diesel always cost > RUG down south?

We have 6 week old twins in our 2010 Xterra. Rear facing seats fit no problem. The "car seat expert" / firefighter / EMT we met with suggested to put one seat in the middle and the other behind the passenger. That actually gives usable space in the rear seat for a 3rd passenger or a quick place to drop groceries or a diaper bag. YMMV.

Even with higher diesel costs, I still do better with the factored mileage ( and toss in that the engine will last much longer too)

Quote Originally Posted by robgoose View Post
    Yup. The kids eventually turn around (at 1yr or 2yrs depending on where you're at) and then you're stuck with a vehicle you bought specifically so that they could sit in it rear facing. Not saying that's the only attribute of a TDI Touareg, just something to consider.

FWIW I bought what I think is the best diesel SUV ever made, the 7.3L Ford Excursion 4x4. It's ~9000lbs of good ole American excess and I'll be damned if it's not a comfortable ride for the Cruiser clan. Massive interior seating space, factory rear seat dvd for the kiddies, hudge cargo area even with the 3rd row installed, and seemingly limitless torque for pulling the camper or merging onto the highway. 15mpg stings a bit, but I don't put all that many miles on it so it doesn't bother me that much.
    Brandine: Now Cletus, if I catch you with pig lipstick on your collar one more time you ain't gonna be allowed to sleep in the barn no more!
    Cletus: Duly noted.

Quote Originally Posted by acinpdx View Post
    Even with higher diesel costs, I still do better with the factored mileage ( and toss in that the engine will last much longer too)
    edit:I ran/kept figures on a VWTDi for 3 years, if diesel hadnt been cheaper tahn RUG driving a honda civic would have cost me less $

what is the maintenance schedule like, my TDi's needed an expensive timing belt every 120,000kms, the engine was zero clearance so you have everything changed cuz if the TB breaks ...expensive boat anchor

many people will baby Diesels because the engine can lug down which causes problems but actualy diesels like to be driven long & hard, dunno about this diesel but I would make sure you or your wifes driving style "works"

Not mine but knew I saw a listing recently....
    http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360581

Why not get a 4 door f-150 ecoboost the fuel usage should offset the 50k pricetag.

Diesel longevity doesn't come in to play unless you plan on keeping it for over 200k
    It’s the places you ride that are special, not you riding there.”

All stunts performed without a net!

Quote Originally Posted by SuperChief View Post
    Diesel longevity doesn't come in to play unless you plan on keeping it for over 200k
    or selling it with high miles for a decent price

Quote Originally Posted by Tye 1on View Post
    PM Yooper on that, think he's been down that road. At a high rate of speed.
    I have an '07 Touareg V8. I just replaced all 4 rotors and pads for $388 in parts. Got them from Brakeperformance.com. $150 in labor to install them, but if I had more time I could have done them myself.

Tye... I'm sure you are referring to my caliper painting on my other car. That's still on the list, but I haven't got to it yet...
    "Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

By the way... my Touareg is the best frickin vehicle I have ever owned. UNbelievably smooth, powerful, and comfortable. Tows better than any truck I've ever had (F-150, Suburban). Amazing handling and is basically a snowmobile in the winter.

The Suby, Highlander and Rogue are fine suggestions I guess... but that's basically like telling a guy that is trying to decide between an A8 or a Bimmer 7 series that he should really consider a Accord or Camry. Not even the same league.

"Shit, I'll choke her while she's cleaning, and I'll do it wearing a helmet cam mounted on a full-face helmet.
    I'll have meatdrink9 do the lighting for the shot. He'll make it artsy as fuck."
    - Phunk

Quote Originally Posted by yooper View Post
    I have an '07 Touareg V8. I just replaced all 4 rotors and pads for $388 in parts. Got them from Brakeperformance.com. $150 in labor to install them, but if I had more time I could have done them myself.

Tye... I'm sure you are referring to my caliper painting on my other car. That's still on the list, but I haven't got to it yet...
    That's a pretty reasonable brake job. And yes, got confused with that other little car.
    Something about the wrinkle in your forehead tells me there's a fit about to get thrown
    And I never hear a single word you say when you tell me not to have my fun
    It's the same old shit that I ain't gonna take off anyone.
    and I never had a shortage of people tryin' to warn me about the dangers I pose to myself.

Patterson Hood of the DBT's

Honda pilot was my solution to a similar situation. Not for everyone, but I suggest a test drive. Huge and comfortable inside 20-24 MPG (daily / best) tows 4500 if 4wd, was the best bang for my buck. I could not be happier.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using TGR Forums