Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Moving to Boise - What do I need to know?

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post

Boise is a lot more than the N.End. And the N.End, although it's cool, and I loved living there, has its definite downsides (poseurs with bikes worth more than some of my cars being one of them).
    All good points. We researched lots of other neighborhoods, and have some good friends on the Bench, even spent some time in Meridian getting the feel for it, but we ultimately like the feel of the North End much more. If we were buying to invest, the Bench or Meridian would be high on the list.

Needing a garage and a yard for the dog, it really kept us out of downtown. We looked at the NE side of town by the Penitentiary/BSU and in a little pocket between State and Main around 23rd, but never found anything we liked in our price range. We even looked in Collister, but waking around there at night got my Spidey Sense tingling so we passed.

There are tons of good options for everyone depending on what you’re looking for, but the North End vibe is what we liked pretty much right away.

Coming from Portland we are used to the hipster/poseur vibe and mostly just ignore it at this point

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    How is the Mormon scene in Boise?
    Seems pretty solid. The LDS temple there is impressive:

Quote Originally Posted by that dude who did that thing View Post
    Finally, if you want o live IN the mountains, go out to Wilderness Ranch between Boise and Idaho City. Cool homes, reasonable prices, most with acreage, but not for families that care about education, since it's in the Idaho City School District.
    Don't forget about "JESUS LOVES YOU" written in stone in huge letters on the hillside.

Also the famous Potato Drop to ring in the new year. Who needs times square?

Quote Originally Posted by idahospud View Post
    Don't forget about "JESUS LOVES YOU" written in stone in huge letters on the hillside.
    ugh, I don't know if I could live in Idaho. It just seems like Utah's Step-Brother.

Quote Originally Posted by Hott Butt Mud View Post
    ugh, I don't know if I could live in Idaho. It just seems like Utah's Step-Brother.
    A friend of ours was able to beat charges for a pound of MDMA in ID because the cops pulled so many sheisty, back-woods maneuvers. I know more than one person who has had charges dropped due to illegal police activity on the drive from Idaho Falls to West Yellowstone.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    . We even looked in Collister, but waking around there at night got my Spidey Sense tingling so we passed.
    Where in the Collister area were you? I live close to Cynthia Mann Elementary and feel perfectly comfortable walking around that neighborhood even at midnight. Granted, yes, on the other side of Pierce Park Lane there are some seeding looking homes, but nothing that doesn't exist in any subdivision neighborhood. As a matter of fact there are some pretty nice homes in the Castle Hills sub for sale.

Quote Originally Posted by mtnjam View Post
    Where in the Collister area were you? I live close to Cynthia Mann Elementary and feel perfectly comfortable walking around that neighborhood even at midnight. Granted, yes, on the other side of Pierce Park Lane there are some seeding looking homes, but nothing that doesn't exist in any subdivision neighborhood. As a matter of fact there are some pretty nice homes in the Castle Hills sub for sale.
    Around 39th-ish between Taft and State. A bit NW of there is definitely a lot nicer.

Quote Originally Posted by Supermoon View Post
    Around 39th-ish between Taft and State. A bit NW of there is definitely a lot nicer.
    Yeah, the places right off State Street in that area are kinda sketchy, but Tamarack, Sycamore, Hawthorne all have those super big lots. Wishing I would have bought one of those when I moved here.

What's the best backcountry outdoors shop in town?
    I've been looking for Idaho BC skiing guides and maps online, and have only found a few informational websites.
    This place is raw.
    Quote Originally Posted by Danno View Post
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

There’s a place called Idaho Mountain Touring in 13th and Main. Haven’t been in yet but they seem to fit what you’re looking for.

You're going to hve to dig for your info around SW Idaho. this is partially because of the small population, partially because most outdoor pursuits in this neck of the woods involve going wherever the hell you want and making it happen. There's a whole shit-ton of mountains just north of town, and they pretty much extend all the way to Canada. Go make your own adventure.

For local touring, you can start easily enough and find info online for Mores Creek Summit (the skiing is mostly on adjacent Pilot Peak) and More's Mountain (two different places, and you must head in two different directions to get to each).

The folks at Idaho Mt. Touring will sell you gear, not sure how knowledgeable they really are on local touring info. THey're great on local biking options, both road and MTB. Some of the guys at Eco Lounge in the N. End might also be helpful, not sure, but the shop (fi it still exists) always had a BC kind of vibe.
    "Judge me by the enemies I have made." -FDR

Quote Originally Posted by gravitylover View Post
    Not that I'm planning on moving to Boise or even ID but the next place we go I will be able to open the door and start riding on trails. No more putting the bike on the car unless I want to go somewhere different. Being able to ski out the door would be a bonus but not necessary, sight distance would be fine Ultimately I'd like to back up to open space but probably wouldn't mind a few blocks ride to the trails if it meant being able to walk to town for shopping and entertainment. If I can't have that I might as well stick with the no mortgage spot we're in now. These are the things I'll look for in the next 'landing spot.'
    Sounds like we have the same ideas. Because I am clueless about a permanent spot to move on to, we will likely rent our home out and bounce around for a bit to see if there is any place we like better than where we are at now.
    Quote Originally Posted by leroy jenkins View Post
    I think you'd have an easier time understanding people if you remembered that 80% of them are fucking morons.
    That is why I like dogs, more than most people.

Go talk to Gabe at the Boise State Bicycle Learning Center. Avid ski tourer and bike nut. I got to know him at Crystal Mtn WA when he was on Pro Patrol. Great dude.

Quote Originally Posted by liv2ski View Post
    Sounds like we have the same ideas. Because I am clueless about a permanent spot to move on to, we will likely rent our home out and bounce around for a bit to see if there is any place we like better than where we are at now.
    That’s a great idea, since you already live in a really nice place.
    I really like Boise, but if I didn’t have to live in a city, I’d look at Ketchum or McCall.

Quote Originally Posted by skibum93 View Post
    What's the best backcountry outdoors shop in town?
    I've been looking for Idaho BC skiing guides and maps online, and have only found a few informational websites.
    This place is raw.
    There’s a decent thread in the hook up forum about touring around Boise.

Any suggestion for a short term place to live (6-8 weeks) in or around Boise if I end up interning there next Fall? No plans for long term, very happy on the other side of the state.

Shoot me a PM and I'll see if I can help.

Anyone have a room for rent with a 3month lease starting Mid-February?

I have a 3 month internship with the possibility of continued employment (I can show proof of employment), and am looking for a private room with cool roommates.
    24 Male, I keep it chill (no weeds or alcohol benders), know how to be a clean roommate, and Iove being outside (super excited to explore Mores Summit Creek and Banner Summit zones)

My internship is in downtown, so preference for a place in NE Boise, but I'm flexible.
    10'x10' room would be ideal.
    I'll be in Boise starting the 12th and could meet any day in the evenings to meet and greet.

Please shoot me a PM if you or a buddy has a room to rent.
    I suggest we do more airmchair QBing with no facts except as stated in the article.

Bump for housing!

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums

Quote Originally Posted by Bromontane View Post
    RAUL LABRADOR IS A SUNNOVABITCH!
    “I assumed that everyone had the same idealistic mentality that I did,” he says. “But week after week, I realized that most of the people here just want to keep their jobs and hold on to power. And it’s one of the reasons I haven’t fit into this place very well.” -Raul Labrador

‘This Is a Place That Just Sucks Your Soul’ - POLITICO
    https://apple.news/Adw4i6VylT7ubo83cVsbCgA

I couldn't find a better Boise thread to bump so here we are. I'll be in town Friday through Sunday for my daughter's climbing competition and need some recommendations. We'll be staying at the Home2 Suites downtown. Good, close, coffee shops/breakfast places, lunch and dinner? I don't drink so we can skip breweries. Thanks.

Easy walk to Yoi Tomo Sushi and Grill. Ping conundrum for the brewery recs.
    Merde De Glace On the Freak When Ski
    >>>200 cm Black Bamboo Sidewalled DPS Lotus 120 : Best Skis Ever <<<

Lots of options for food and coffee on 8th St. right there. I haven't been in a couple of years, so I'm not sure what has survived the pandemic.

Close to you Slow by Slow coffee is pretty good. Bardennay is good for dinner as well. It's a Basque place. Alavita for fancy-ish Italian.

Funky Taco is good for lunch or a light dinner. Even if you don't drink, there's a 10 Barrel and Bittercreek Alehouse that have good food.

Hit up Bar Gernika on the Basque Block for lamb croquettes sandwich, Barriga‘s on Chinden for Mexican food. Big City coffee on Grove St for coffee. Be sure to check out the Boise Gear Collective on Capital.

Sent from my iPhone using TGR Forums
    More cowbell!!!